• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly |8/24-30| Trying Our Hardest to Become Pachinko Slot Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

If they put Urien in the game but don't put him in his man thong the double standard will be out of control.
I hope they go all the way with the (gay) male gaze. The camera angles are what's making the costumes and cleavage suddenly in-your-face in a way they weren't previously.

We know they won't.

Anne

Wish they would've tweaked the outfit a little more.

I don't even care that it's hyperly sexual, I think it just looks a little silly 17 years later.

Shouta

A newer outfit for Mika would have been nice but I guess we got Nadeshiko for that, lol. I really do hope for a costume that reverses Nadeshiko and Mika, lol

notworksafe

I dunno, Mika looks pretty much like a joshi to me. Maybe remove the frills but otherwise it's on point.

54N7Qwf.jpg

Maybe an alt with facepaint would be cool

Crocodile

I don't like mika or cammy, and I'm the demo for those designs.

I'm not sure I get your point here. I guess you're arguing "I'm a straight male and these female character designs don't appeal to me"? Not everyone likes everything just as not every straight male finds every fit or curvy female attractive or thinks they dress well.

Well I know who Mika sitting on your face is pandering to, so what are other examples catering to other audiences? I'm going to laugh if you say Urien

A) Pandering doesn't have to be strictly sexual. The manner in which Capcom caved to the outcrys of the loss of the SFII cast in SFIII by adding Chun is an example. The manner in which SFIV went heavy into the SFII cast is another example. I consider strong appeals to nostalgia one of the most common forms of pandering.

B) Be it as a badass, as a villain, because his moves have crazy names (Tryant Slaughter), because Aegis Reflector was kind of dumb in SFIII, etc. Urien certainly has a distinctive appeal to a lot of people. Not too dissimilar to how Mike Ross only plays heavy characters or how some people NEED their grapplers or some other archetype of character or things are a non-starter for them. Aside from just gameplay variety, certain types of characters are made for certain types of people.

C) I don't really think Capcom sells Urien (or Alex) on their sex appeal but enough people do find them attractive that it is certainly part of their appeal to a non-insignificant number of people. Power Fantasy and Sex Appeal aren't mutually exclusive even if one is more at play than another.

Pandering I know often has a connotation of appealing to "base desires" or what not but given "base desires" tends to be so subjective and not even necessarily bad, I feel people just like to use the word when appeals are made to subjects or people they just don't like. You see this in politics where people with opposed ideologies and speaking to different groups are all still saying and doing things they think voters will like (i.e. pandering). It's all pandering even if say one candidate in engaging in xenophobic immigrant shaming and another is trying to fight for Women's health rights.

this is a really bold claim
SURELY you see the difference between a character like Mika and a character like (KoF) King...

Yeah obviously King and Mika are different characters (though LOL at the point brought up by notworksafe) but as I've said, pandering isn't just sex stuff (to say nothing of the fact that people have different thresholds for where sex appeal has or has not gone too far).

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Mika looks like a crazy, zany, caricature of a female wrestler. Par for the course. If you're not happy with the look, there's always alt outfits.

jerry1594

I hope they go all the way with the (gay) male gaze. The camera angles are what's making the costumes and cleavage suddenly in-your-face in a way they weren't previously.

We know they won't.
Why would they do that with Urien. Dude is a raspy voiced cretin.

Mika looks dumb to me. I am not saying I don't like sexy female wrestlers. I am saying, this particular design, Mika, looks dumb to me, haha. Here's to alts. Hope she plays fun. I didn't feel she was all that gameplay wise in A3. We shall see!

Pompadour

Did Siliconera ever put up a roster? Or was it just the two separate articles saying R Mika, Karin, Alex, and Urien being in?

There's only two "real" leaks:

Ken Bogard said there would be 16 characters, a mechanic called V-Trigger, 4 newcomers and he named three and their countries of origin (Rachid, Zen, Laura). This was prior to the reveal of V-Trigger and the 16 character base roster.

The two Siliconera articles naming Mika, Karin, Urien, and Alex.

jerry1594

I don't think it's surprising at all. And I don't give a shit about the costume choice, but people trying to shut down what Vince is saying is pretty funny.

Manbig

I've been saying that his junk should have jiggle physics and a hit box. It can work like Yun's hat taunt.

It should always cause a critical crush when you hit his crotch.

I don't think it's surprising at all. And I don't give a shit about the costume choice, but people trying to shut down what Vince is saying is pretty funny.

As they should be. His comment about making something that should try to not offend anyone is the most hilariously unrealistic thing that I read in that whole thread. At least next to the people trying to talk about how Zangief is an example of male objectification.

It's really quite embarrassing all around.

Calling it: Juri, Karin, & Sim or Gief

It's a lock, folks.
Gief seems unlikely to me - three grapplers? I know he's a different kind of grappler, but Sim makes so much more sense in terms of gameplay diversity.

There's only two "real" leaks:

Ken Bogard said there would be 16 characters, a mechanic called V-Trigger, 4 newcomers and he named three and their countries of origin (Rachid, Zen, Laura). This was prior to the reveal of V-Trigger and the 16 character base roster.

The two Siliconera articles naming Mika, Karin, Urien, and Alex.
I would believe Karin, Urien, and Alex, but then how do the colors make sense? Alpha vs. Numbered fighters is kind of weird.

I feel like this might be pre-SFIII, and maybe Urien is the final boss. Then we will get Urien later as DLC. Otherwise, I don't see how we can fit all of these characters in.

Basically, either we will get 1 more revamp + 2 SFII characters, or 1 more alpha + 2 numbered SF characters. It's hard to say what the pattern is right now. Revamp + SFII, or Alpha + SF#?

I really want to know if her assist will make moves safe or if its just part of a combo. The R.Mika reveal thread is something else. Not so much about movesets but about offending each other's posts/opinions.

I always thought Ken Bogard got turned to SF Ken possible because of a licensing issue. I dunno, we might have two kens.

Pompadour

I would believe Karin, Urien, and Alex, but then how do the colors make sense? Alpha vs. Numbered fighters is kind of weird.

I feel like this might be pre-SFIII, and maybe Urien is the final boss. Then we will get Urien later as DLC. Otherwise, I don't see how we can fit all of these characters in.

Basically, either we will get 1 more revamp + 2 SFII characters, or 1 more alpha + 2 numbered SF characters. It's hard to say what the pattern is right now. Revamp + SFII, or Alpha + SF#?

The colors don't necessarily mean anything. And the Siliconera rumors can be true but talking about DLC. I can see Urien being an unplayable boss, initially.

The only reason I'd put stock into green = SF2 is that the game doesn't have it's long range poke archetype and Dhalsim seems like a big omission. I think Dhalsim could be made into a great character if revamped, maybe play more like Necro. I'd pick Sim over anyone else from II not in V just on uniqueness alone.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Can't wait for the mixup games with the assist move. In Alpha 3, did the booty bump change sides when doing it over a downed opponent? Might make for some ambiguous okizeme with the assist from behind.

Good grief, all the reveal thread is doing is arguing about her appearance.

Perro

The Mika thread is all what I expected to be.
If the Silliconera leaks are true I'll be sad, I wanted to be surprised.

Just saw Mika's trailer and it was great stuff. She looks far more dynamic than most of the case shown off so far. I like her energy, but not her costume. With the right costume DLC I can see myself using her often. If Alex, Urien and Karin pan out I can see myself back on the day 1 train for this game again.

SFV still needs Ibuki and Makoto tho
Karin's 99.999% at this point, given that there's one more Alpha returnee to go, and no rekka character yet.
Gonna keep my expectations low just in case.
I forgot this is Blond Fighter V. He probably has better odds than Urien.

jerry1594

As they should be. His comment about making something that should try to not offend anyone is the most hilariously unrealistic thing that I read in that whole thread. At least next to the people trying to talk about how Zangief is an example of male objectification.

It's really quite embarrassing all around.
While he is over the top, the opposing arguments; women will be objectfied no matter what, "yeah? well wrestling is more trashy", etc. are pathetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom