• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly |8/24-30| Trying Our Hardest to Become Pachinko Slot Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
enzo retiring two weeks before the move

JkJpiZd.jpg

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I mean there, are like no weeklies any more though.
We can make stuff for majors and stuff.
Sure can.

So just to be clear - and I'm not in asshole mode here, seriously:

*We have a catch-all thread for all things Fighting Game Community
*It's updated on a regular basis
*It's clearly centered around that community's interests
*Regularly goes off the rails when it's a slow news day in the FGC

...but somehow it doesn't belong in community because it gets referenced/credited by outsiders? This thread meets all the criteria for the community silo.

Walk me through it fellas/femmes.

But why make a new thread in community every week?
I ain't doing shit for new threads if it's just in community. I need the exposure to feed my ego. Next week's WeeklyGB was gonna be a huge one like the original interview, too.

b47tfus5.jpg

Looks like it just means extra Witcher 3 time for me this weekend instead of making a bunch of new headers.

Azure J

Well considering I'm only in community side most of the time anyway (ayy SplatGAF/KartGAF), this isn't too bad. I'm just shocked it actually happened, though Bish's post has me wondering now how it didn't happen sooner.

Anne

Does this mean we can make an IRC now.

I'm not gonna argue that we deserved to be in community. It's nicer to be in gaming but we aren't special snowflakes.

Sure can.

...but somehow it doesn't belong in community because it gets referenced/credited by outsiders? This thread meets all the criteria for the community silo.

And people told me I was dumb for saying this.

Why amni not shocked Yams was in one of those links lmao

Dahbomb

LOL @ Kadey and Bakedyams being in those posts.

The week I posted the least on FGW it gets put in Community. I should've gotten more posts in the last ever FGW on the gaming side.

Nyoro SF

Sure can.

So we can blame Yams for this? :p

Sure, we sometimes went off topic, but we always got right back on-topic. That's one thing I was always impressed about with FGW, that unlike other fighting game forums where discussion would devolve off the rails for tens of pages, we always managed to self-steer our talk back to fighting games.

I mean even in the last thread you reference when it goes off topic in the beginning, nearly all the posts are on-topic; control methods for PC and Wii U, Topanga league, Smash 4 Ryu, an EVO webtoon, etc.

I suppose on the basis of pure rules we should be in community, but I feel like we've been sentenced to a hardcore little corner of GAF that sooner or later no one will care about anymore in favor of game-specific community threads. Weekly in GD was the best way to stay in the "current strain" of posters for any fighting games they wanted to talk about and now that's gone.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, the change makes sense on any procedural level but it doesn't make it any less awful.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Yes this is also where information about streams being posted tend to go soon as they go live, it's a catch all for more than just standard fighting game talk. You are more likely to catch lurkers seeing the thread bumped and finding out about say a spooky stream being on on gaming side than vice versa.

Weekly with a new thread mostly keeping events that happened preserved in the timeframe they happened instead of a giant mass mega thread.

100% True but at the same time NeoGAF community isn't really viewed as "community" due to the stigma it has. I've seen plenty of people mention they downright stop viewing or browsing threads soon as they are sent there because it's "out of the way" silly yes but that's the nature of it.

Those people get yelled at for a damn good reason.

I can't change shit and if it's set in stone it's set in stone but that's just my take on it.

Beckx

I think whether you view community as a death sentence may say more about how you use the site than anything else

tbh

Might as well stop with the complaints. What's done is done, and it ain't gonna change. Complaining is just gonna put the thread in a bad light.
I'm not complaining. If they want to kill off one of the most consistently popular news discussion threads on GAF that's their prerogative.

I'm just not spending my Sunday mornings to make new content for it anymore if nobody's gonna see it.

I think whether you view community as a death sentence may say more about how you use the site than anything else

tbh
Just look at the wrestling thread. Every other page is off topic, but we usually hit 20k posts each month.

Oh but its in community so it's dead. Also ignore all those new posters, they hurt the argument. And also the new threads for new news...

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";176739705]I'm not complaining. If they want to kill off one of the most consistently popular news discussion threads on GAF that's their prerogative.
[/QUOTE]

^ Yup

It's pretty much by that logic that sf character roster discussion thread should be in Community rather than gaming.

Shouta

You guys could explain to bish why you think we should stay in gaming instead of despairing about it. he's legitimately asking everyone.

tbh

It does. NeoGAF is a news source to me. FGCWeekly is a weekly news source. Why would anyone come to this thread if they have to look through hundreds of pages for the stuff that happened?

It does. NeoGAF is a news source to me. FGCWeekly is a weekly news source. Why would anyone come to this thread if they have to look through hundreds of pages for the stuff that happened?
New threads for new news is an old rule that still exists. New threads are made here for significant news, and thankfully nobody is making news out of what spooky ate for breakfast.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Yes this is also where information about streams being posted tend to go soon as they go live, it's a catch all for more than just standard fighting game talk. You are more likely to catch lurkers seeing the thread bumped and finding out about say a spooky stream being on on gaming side than vice versa.
Interesting. I've had more stream info hit my radar based on specific Gaming threads as opposed to lurking this one, but I hear what you're saying.

100% True but at the same time NeoGAF community isn't really viewed as "community" due to the stigma it has. I've seen plenty of people mention they downright stop viewing or browsing threads soon as they are sent there because it's "out of the way" silly yes but that's the nature of it.
That I can't agree with. The numbers on Gaming and OT Community make it clear that many posters use the Community silo just as easily as the regular Gaming silo. Any stigma is on the beholder, not the forum itself.

If subscribing to a new thread every week is an issue, a monthly OT thread would serve the same purpose as the OT community threads we see for sports, etc. If it's a visibility thing for lurkers/other gaming sites...that's not an adequate reason to skate on policy.

I can't change shit and if it's set in stone it's set in stone but that's just my take on it.
Appreciate your post. Thank you.

You guys could explain to bish why you think we should stay in gaming instead of despairing about it. he's legitimately asking everyone.

It's about exposure. This isn't really a thread for getting sets in with other gaffers or talking about old games. The discussion is primarily focused on fighting game news and current/upcoming fighting game events. It's a news discussion thread. If it goes to community nobody is gonna come here for FGC news anymore and then the primary reason for being in the thread is going to go away. The only thing remotely community-related we do is posting gaffer stream links or sending Q to EVO.

Sure we go off the rails, but that's because there's a ton of people that post in here.

kirblar

So this means no more weekly threads? :(
There aren't any more major weeklies. :( (Which is what I assume led to the move.)

The major point of the thread (imo) has been allowing concentrated discussion when smaller event streams pop up and such that don't warrant their own thread. It's sort of a catch-all news center and not really focused on one specific game, just the genre. Community feels really off to me because of the timeliness aspect, it resets every week and it's a new stream-of-consciousness thing.

Negaduck

My gaf account is somewhat newer but I can very much say that when I lurked, having the thread show up on the front page of gaming helped me stay in touch with the latest news/streams and discussions that happened here.

I didn't have an account so I couldn't subscribe and anytime it fell off the front page (and this was something only with me) I hardly found myself going to the community section or even past the second page of gaming.

I don't mind it being in community that much but being newer here I'm not familiar with the stigma of threads going to community (I lurk several of those threads rather frequently) but if a lot of fellow FGC gaffers have a problem I support their drive to have it return to the gaming side.

New threads for new news is an old rule that still exists. New threads are made here for significant news, and thankfully nobody is making news out of what spooky ate for breakfast.

Thank you for making my point for me. There is tons of FGC news every week that general GAF would deem unthread worthy LIKE Spooky & Next Level parting ways last week.

If the news is not in a digestable form there is no reason to sift through it. Better off waiting for Eventhubs oe SRK to catch wind of it.

At this rate Kappa will become a better news source than this thread.

My gaf account is somewhat newer but I can very much say that when I lurked, having the thread show up on the front page of gaming helped me stay in touch with the latest news/streams and discussions that happened here.

I didn't have an account so I couldn't subscribe and anytime it fell off the front page (and this was something only with me) I hardly found myself going to the community section or even past the second page of gaming.

I don't mind it being in community that much but being newer here I'm not familiar with the stigma of threads going to community (I lurk several of those threads rather frequently) but if a lot of fellow FGC gaffers have a problem I support their drive to have it return to the gaming side.
Before it was labeled community it was "online" and considered to be a thread graveyard. With the new rules on mega/community threads, they redid everything and now the only people who consider it a graveyard are people who legit don't know any better.

Sure can.

1) We have been Gaming for a long time. According to Q, 5 years. At the very least, I some kind of explanation as to why this is happening now would be appreciated.

2) Gaming is where gaming-related news belongs. FGW covers all the news that happens in the fighting game world every week, and we frequently discusses these news bits. I view this thread as a news aggregate that saves space in Gaming.

3) Yes, we do go off topic. I think that holds true for every thread, even many in Gaming side. I don't think this is a unique trait that can be used against FGW. When we stray too far, moderators ring us in, but that doesn't seem exceptional, either.

4) Community is death. I want growth in the FGC. I likely would not have found this thread - the primary reason I post on NeoGAF these days - if it were in Community. Community is where you go to visit a thread that you have been partaking in for a long time. Rarely do new people join in - Community is insular.

I think FGW is on the edge between Gaming and Community; you could make an argument either way. We're not clearly one thread type or another, and a lot of the discussion here is redundant with Gaming threads. I can understand and respect judging this thread to be appropriate for Community.

That I can't agree with. The numbers on Gaming and OT Community make it clear that many posters use the Community silo just as easily as the regular Gaming silo. Any stigma is on the beholder, not the forum itself..
Respectfully, this isn't OT Community. What do the numbers about Gaming-Community say? Especially re: influx of new posters.

Before it was labeled community it was "online" and considered to be a thread graveyard. With the new rules on mega/community threads, they redid everything and now the only people who consider it a graveyard are people who legit don't know any better.
It's not just a stigma. When Intelliheath used every new Smash announcement as a reason to make a new Smash OT in Gaming, we got a massive influx of new, consistent players for a period of time afterward. Some of those stuck around to become permanent players. With the last two DLC updates, moderators said "no" to him, and we experienced almost no new players.

Thank you for making my point for me. There is tons of FGC news every week that general GAF would deem unthread worthy LIKE Spooky & Next Level parting ways last week.

If the news is not in a digestable form there is no reason to sift through it. Bettet off waiting for Eventhubs oe SRK to catch wind of it.

At this point rKappa will become a better news source than this thread.
Why not take a chance and make a thread for it? I'm actually kind of shocked that no thread was made for the Next Level situation, and would've done it myself if I wasn't stuck on my phone until next week.

Hot tip, in your user control panel you can change the options to go to latest unread postpost. This works with subscriptions and just regular forum browsing.

However it seems to mark posts older than a few days as read even if you didn't.

Welcome to community.

Negaduck

Honestly the way I see it, if someone is interested in the community or the discussion or the news they will find it.

If they are too lazy to click a button to go to community then they really didn't want the information that bad.

(These thoughts came between the last post and this one).

It really isn't a big deal. If its still as active as it has been it will stay on the front page of community.

If someone goes to GAF and has lurked even a little bit from the splash page its the same amount of clicks to find the gaming community threads as it is in regular gaming.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Respectfully, this isn't OT Community. What do the numbers about Gaming-Community say? Especially re: influx of new posters.

If this were the case I'd imagine we would see less LTTP threads and "should I get such and such" threads. Which could be considered a result of said games threads being out of view.

And as others have stated this is also considered a news thread. Should we start making a new thread everytime Kazunoko changes sponsors?

while I'd be sad if this thread gets deported, I can't really think of an argument against it. There are plenty of reasons why it would be better for the community if it stays out of...community, but I don't see why those reasons wouldn't also apply to a ton of other threads on the Community side.

I'm not convinced by the visibility argument. More people might see the thread but I think the vast majority of the people who browse Gaming already decided whether or not they're interested in it. I don't think the sort of people who come out of the woodwork to post in threads about FG news or "rank your..."/"_____ nostalgia" shitposts somehow don't realize there's a general FGC thread, they just aren't interested in participating it (and I don't think the people in this thread really want them here anyways).

It'd be nice if the mods made an exception, but I can't really give a reason as to why they should.

Honestly the way I see it, if someone is interested in the community or the discussion or the news they will find it.

If they are too lazy to click a button to go to community then they really didn't want the information that bad.

(These thoughts came between the last post and this one).

It really isn't a big deal. If its still as active as it has been it will stay on the front page of community.

If someone goes to GAF and has lurked even a little bit from the splash page its the same amount of clicks to find the gaming community threads as it is in regular gaming.
Not everyone knows there is a community. I never knew something like this existed until MvC3 came around, and people started talking about NeoGAF. Then I got a membership here. Then I noticed FGW pop up on the front page. You can't look for something you aren't aware of. The notion of a FGW never even occurred to me, but I stumbled upon it. Now it's the main reason I visit Gaming side, and I catch other news alongside it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom