• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 15-21 | That's 102%, Welcome to DCU

SmokeMaxX

Pot splitting isn't the problem. People want to be entertained and don't really care if things are fake (see: wrestling) as long as it's entertaining.

I don't understand why they have to be so blatant about the splitting though. If you just played a good set of matches to give the audience a better show you'd get way less shit for it.

J Wong probably won't want to play his real stuff at a relatively small tourney like Texas Showdown, he'll want to save his tricks for NCR.

... and then there were eight.

521824_621374337875969_1399533376_n_zpsecc5f803.png

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=53958921&postcount=2915

There's a chunk of people in this scene who have obviously decided to pursue an avenue which might realize the earning potential the scene's always had but never capitalized on.

And there's a chunk of people who don't give a fuck about any of that so long as they're getting the checks they're currently getting, "legitimization" be damned.

One of those groups has more top-level players in it than the other.

So this probably won't be getting settled any time soon.

alstein

Empty threat. Nothing he can do really.

What could he do?

If he holds back the money- he'll get sued unless he has ironclad proof, which won't happen.

If he bans the folks for next year/life- they'll just stop going to EVO, and EVO loses credibility. What good is an EVO title if the best players aren't allowed to compete?

It's not like MLG, where there's not other games in town.

It's going to take someone manning up and winning without potsplits for this to stop.

The only way anything could get done is if all the majors conspired to ban the same guys, and that isn't happening.

ZTS

Banned
Yo Maximillian banned me from posting on his youtube for offering to pay him money to do a week of Tekken. Talk about a fuckin sour puss. Let this be a lesson guys, don't ever try to get support for your video game by asking someone to help cause they'll just ban you from ever making comments on their youtube. Stay Classy Max.

Its not even about the money its the fact that this is a slap in the face to all the competitors and organizers of the tournament when you do shit like this. You made it to grand finals with a friend and you're gonna split the earnings, fine it's your money. But why does that mean you can't play out an honest match? You fought your way all the way to the end so whats 3-5 more matches gonna hurt.

The worst thing is that that these guys are shooting themsleves in the foot and they dont even know it. If this shit keeps up(and it will) sponsors are eventually gonna bail out and then what are these players gonna do. If the scene wants to grow than this crap has to stop beacuase all its doing is giving us a bad look.

What ever happened to integrity =(

Deps

lol, Gootecks. Is he ever not thinking about $$$$

gootecks ‏@gootecks 6m
@Zeronaire_ @JayViscant well until everyone's paying money to see grand finals, I don't think any of the players owe anybody anything

K.Sabot

lol, Gootecks. Is he ever not thinking about $$$$

gootecks ‏@gootecks 6m
@Zeronaire_ @JayViscant well until everyone's paying money to see grand finals, I don't think any of the players owe anybody anything

His favorite part about SF4 is the meter game, that man is all about the capital.

Pot splitting isn't the problem. People want to be entertained and don't really care if things are fake (see: wrestling) as long as it's entertaining.

I agree. I don't care for pot splitting but when it comes to putting on a good show, they don't even try. I mean think of EVO13 if they were going to pull of something like that.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
If gootecks had it his way there'd be no stream and he'd upload each round of each game of each set as an individual YouTube video.

The worst thing is that that these guys are shooting themsleves in the foot and they dont even know it.

Nah, they know it. They just don't give a shit. Here's why:

Gootecks' Twitter said:
gootecks ‏@gootecks 6m

There's probably more than a few players who don't really give a shit about the tournaments outside of the number of people attending that they can pick clean via money match.

There's not gonna be a solution to this anytime soon because the talent doesn't give a fuck, and the people who do give a fuck aren't strong enough players to tell the talent to fuck off, it can be done without them.

So the scene can't grow to the level it needs to without these guys coming around - but these guys won't come around until the money is right - but the money won't be right until these guys come around.

so on and so forth.

The things with pot splits is why don't they just play a real match out and go for the win legit to see who is better?

I mean, you split the pot already and you are sharing money, just play hard and for real? Their ego couldn't take it? I guess in that scenario, they just screw around and not play for real because they don't won't hurt feelings at that point?

idk, thinking about it, if I pot split with my buddy, I would still want to play the match out, for ego and competition's sake.

I would casually play the match if I didn't want him to have a thing to hang over me for shit talking, and for general ego's sake.

This doesn't translate totally of course, but in pro sports, everybody is getting payed, and people still play their hardest because they want to win, and have egos, and for the love of competition.

For top 3 at a major, when they pot split, they are all getting paid already, so play it out legit, for ego and competition, and the drive to have the crown.

Plus for ChrisG in particular, he seems so much ahead of everybody. Why would he pot split? I would go for all the glory and all the money personally. But if he depends on this for rent money, I guess he can't take that chance. idk, whatevers.

There's probably more than a few players who don't really give a shit about the tournaments outside of the number of people attending that they can pick clean via money match.

There's not gonna be a solution to this anytime soon because the talent doesn't give a fuck, and the people who do give a fuck aren't strong enough players to tell the talent to fuck off, it can be done without them.

So the scene can't grow to the level it needs to without these guys coming around - but these guys won't come around until the money is right - but the money won't be right until these guys come around.

so on and so forth.

Pretty much. Following twitter just now it is pretty clear there is a big echo chamber going on with those guys and no fucks are being given.

The attitude just blows me away. There are better and easier ways to earn money. If you want to use those skills to actually blow things up and earn big? Well you have to play your part.

Nah, they know it. They just don't give a shit. Here's why:

so on and so forth.

God damnit you just put into words what I've been thinking forever. I need to read or book or something so I can learn to articulate my damn thoughts.

Zukuu

Banned
Why did Injustice go for a armor and life bar design? Is there any difference between the two, or is it in reality just a split of one big health bar? 102% = 52% then, and that isn't all that much, considered the situational, and meter intensive requirements.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Why did Injustice go for a armor and life bar design? Is there any difference between the two, or is it in reality just a split of one big health bar? 102% = 52% then, and that isn't all that much, considered the situational, and meter intensive requirements.
It's like a round or something. I can't explain it.

SmokeMaxX

The things with pot splits is why don't they just play a real match out and go for the win legit to see who is better?

I mean, you split the pot already and you are sharing money, just play hard and for real? Their ego couldn't take it? I guess in that scenario, they just screw around and not play for real because they don't won't hurt feelings at that point?

idk, thinking about it, if I pot split with my buddy, I would still want to play the match out, for ego and competition's sake.

I would casually play the match if I didn't want him to have a thing to hang over me for shit talking, and for general ego's sake.

This doesn't translate totally of course, but in pro sports, everybody is getting payed, and people still play their hardest because they want to win, and have egos, and for the love of competition.

For top 3 at a major, when they pot split, they are all getting paid already, so play it out legit, for ego and competition, and the drive to have the crown.

Plus for ChrisG in particular, he seems so much ahead of everybody. Why would he pot split? I would go for all the glory and all the money personally. But if he depends on this for rent money, I guess he can't take that chance. idk, whatevers.
What difference does it make? Both players have to try hard for it to matter and usually when you see blatant pot splits, one person really would rather get triple perfected than "try" (whether it be an ego thing or a "saving it for nationals" thing). If I agree to play against you and you tell me that you're not going to try at all, what incentive do I have to try hard against you? I mean my setups get exposed now and if I lose, it's straight up demoralizing.

I agree that shitty grand finals are shitty, but it's not the pot splitting that's the problem.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan

Just one big life bar. An Injustice match is just one big round with a mandatory positioning semi-reset/combo break.

Not armor cause the fight is immediately stopped for a few seconds after the first life bar is depleted.

last week thread title was worse, so w/e

Seriously though, Enzo needs to go back to taking suggestions and letting people vote on em because shit is TURRIBLE.

On the subject of pot splits:

Professional Poker does this CONSTANTLY. It's pretty much a legitimate part of the game - as is the idea that tournaments exist more to increase profile so whether you win the bracelet or you don't a) there's fresh fish to feast on in side games and b) you have enough of a rep that the fish will PAY YOU for the opportunity to get eaten. I mean, a world series of poker bracelet means something, but you don't HAVE to win it to make money over the course of the tourney.

That said: Pros will still try to fucking clean each other's clock out even AFTER agreeing to the pot split. Agreeing to take less money is an insurance game, because they know the volatile nature of the business: I split this pot with you even though I think I can beat you because maybe there's a future in which I need you to split that pot for me when the tables are turned, so on and so forth. They know it's probably mutually beneficial that the top players share the money to keep everyone solvent - but when they go in there for the finals? They fucking PLAY. They don't sandbag, they don't goof off. They still try to wreck each other.

That's not happening here. What happens with fighting games is that people are agreeing to the pot split out of insecurity or just laziness, and then when it comes time to perform, they piss down their legs and laugh at the puddle, and everyone else is like "WELP."

SmokeMaxX

Killer Instinct style it looks like.

Zukuu

Banned
Just one big life bar. An Injustice match is just one big round with a mandatory positioning semi-reset/combo break.
Then it's really just 52%. You can do that without sweat in SF, SFxT, MvC3, P4A and almost any other fighting game as well. The game will end up being played bo5 anyway.

TrVlHo3.jpg

Comic Book Guy Stream Monster: "The match between Chris G and Justin Wong at Texas Showdown was, without a doubt, the WORST. GRAND FINAL. EVER. Rest assured that I was on internet within minutes registering my disgust throughout the world.

zM7pjHL.jpg

Bart: Hey, I know it wasn't what everyone wanted, but what right do you have to complain?

yQbBsG9.jpg

Comic Book Guy Stream Monster: As a loyal viewer, I feel they owe me.

E2Qcr16.jpg

Bart: What? They're giving you thousands of hours of entertainment for free. What could they possibly owe you? I mean, if anything, you owe them!

iYVNuC9.jpg

Comic Book Guy Stream Monster: ...Worst grand final ever.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Seriously though, Enzo needs to go back to taking suggestions and letting people vote on em because shit is TURRIBLE.
It was one vote for Frauds Among Us (it was Panda too so I dunno if that even counts) and two for this. The other suggestions sucked. Real rap.

Last week was shitty and this week a NRS game comes out. Lower your expectations.

alstein

One idea: should tournies ban team/char switching- that would solve the sandbagging random teams issue. You can't go random select if you're not allowed to go random select.

Was sandbagging ever an issue at SBO?

TrVlHo3.jpg

Comic Book Guy Stream Monster: "The match between Chris G and Justin Wong at Texas Showdown was, without a doubt, the WORST. GRAND FINAL. EVER. Rest assured that I was on internet within minutes registering my disgust throughout the world.

zM7pjHL.jpg

Bart: Hey, I know it wasn't what everyone wanted, but what right do you have to complain?

yQbBsG9.jpg

Comic Book Guy Stream Monster: As a loyal viewer, I feel they owe me.

E2Qcr16.jpg

Bart: What? They're giving you thousands of hours of entertainment for free. What could they possibly owe you? I mean, if anything, you owe them!

iYVNuC9.jpg

Comic Book Guy Stream Monster: ...Worst grand final ever.

... Worst grand final ever.

Top Bottom