• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 15-21 | That's 102%, Welcome to DCU

DEATH™

I don't follow starcraft but usually everything worsens when you hit your 40's or so they say (vision, memory, reflexes, etc). It would suck if these same players had a mid-life crisis and had to work a minimum wage job to support themselves when they could have been doing a lot more with their lives.

It's entirely possible to attend tournaments on the weekends and have a career and a full time job. It's just more hard work. We have people in the FGC that do this. Betting your whole life on pot splits is not exactly a smart idea. But I'm not living their lives so who am I to say.

So, Chris G needs to excel at other things in life? Only Tekken players do that Kappa

But yeah... Starcraft is good because sporsors do give you everything you need AND goes internationally, meaning, there is no way you would pot split with a dude from a country you didn't live on, not to mention you're going to embarrass you country and sponsors.

PS I need to stop making fun of myself and embarrassing my fellow Tekken players...

SmokeMaxX

Who would want to compete in a scene that doesn't value competition in the first place?

A lot of people got into street fighter because of daigo parry. Imagine instead of that it was justin and daigo dicking around with Q.

... that wasn't grand finals and they weren't even the best players at that tournament. Last I remember, Texas Showdown had a lot of other hype matches. Competition is still valued in this community. If JWong and Chris G didn't care about winning, they wouldn't have gotten 1st and 2nd.

Somebody needs to create a fake viscant account and just post whatever he says immediately as if he was doing it directly.

It already works great for the triforce one.

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
people keep saying morrigan killed marvel. I guess its all about that vanilla wolverine that makes people hype.

There were a bunch of things that kept Wolverine in check in Vanilla (Flame Carpet, Invincible assists, etc.), and you at least got to play a neutral game against Wolverine. Morrigan + Doom mostly takes away your neutral game and you're pretty much forced to dodge and block the fireballs until you get close to her.

My only regret is that I didn't start making clown noises. I apologize, I'll try to remember to bring a novelty tricycle horn next time.

Rest of the tournament was pretty sick though I felt

kirblar

DEATH™;53966601 said:
So, Chris G needs to excel at other things in life? Only Tekken players do that Kappa

But yeah... Starcraft is good because sporsors do give you everything you need AND goes internationally, meaning, there is no way you would pot split with a dude from a country you didn't live on, not to mention you're going to embarrass you country and sponsors.

PS I need to stop making fun of myself and embarrassing my fellow Tekken players...
The problem is that FGs don't monetize well. You can sell PC parts to PC gamers, along with a lot of other related accessories. The sponsors have a reason to get involved.

You sell pads and sticks to the FGC, and unlike with LoL or MTG, the developers don't have an incentive to actively expand the tournament scene because they don't have enough ways to capitalize on it.

Azure J

people keep saying morrigan killed marvel. I guess its all about that vanilla wolverine that makes people hype.

PREACH.

For the record, I like what Morrigan/Doom did in terms of shifting a meta so heavily dominated by one strategy (RUSH THAT ASS DOWN) filled with people sticking to that strategy as the end all be all while damning everything else. It still hasn't reached the level of overpowering that I'd consider truly broken even though some things need re-evaluating for the characters solo, most importantly being Morrigan's illusion's fireballs persistence (I think if you tag her the clone fireballs can go, fair nerf) and her fly-unfly safety along with everything that Doom Missiles stands for.

I haven't seen enough Rubeks or Yipes at Summer Jam type of smart play to get around the maze and get the job done and as such I will not come to the conclusion that they are "killing Marvel."

... that wasn't grand finals and they weren't even the best players at that tournament. Last I remember, Texas Showdown had a lot of other hype matches. Competition is still valued in this community. If JWong and Chris G didn't care about winning, they wouldn't have gotten 1st and 2nd.

You want to be completely anal about it? What if instead of using Yun KO and Daigo just dicked around with necro?

Why do you think the cannon brothers, wizard are up in arms about this shit? Missing the point entirely.

The problem is that FGs don't monetize well. You can sell PC parts to PC gamers, along with a lot of other related accessories. The sponsors have a reason to get involved.

You sell pads and sticks to the FGC, and unlike with LoL or MTG, the developers don't have an incentive to actively expand the tournament scene because they don't have enough ways to capitalize on it.

This is where Sorny should jump in and mention how much those new PS4 media sharing features can help the FGC, as well as mention that you don't always need to be connected to the internet.

The second part is still a concern, right?

SmokeMaxX

Well in my opinion, the OBVIOUS thing to do would be to have a small amount of memory in your stick (I think the Wii and PS4 controllers have this) which would allow you to bring your profile with you. Then sell a SHITLOAD of DLC colors/costumes. Allow companies to produce their own costumes and get some of the microtransaction money.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
TBQH, I think Marvel is in the growing pains right now. I always expressed pre-release the consequences of if they made zoning too strong, and how much I feared it, but honestly it's not so much as MorriDoom is too good as it is people aren't putting the work in to develop counters as to just trying theoretical ones and then switching back to their main teams later. No one is thinking long term and they just switch back to their main teams again in hopes of winning something in the short term now, giving Chris G a free win.

I think the player skill is there, but whereas we had a bit of a hunger spike earlier after Sanford's comments, it's died down a bit. Who's hungry to take down Chris G right now out of the best? FChamp, Flocker and Moons and that's all I can think of. Justin Wong is on autopilot, Yipes doesn't care, and RayRay and everyone else is in a character crisis. People are doing better vs. Chris G right now more than ever. Tune back a few months and the dominance was considerably more free. This is because people are springing up that are giving him something different from the same team configurations he knows how to fight in and out.

We've seen people fight MorriDoom and succeed. Look at the matches today vs. Chris G where Morrigan got handled and Doom and Vergil put in most of the work. Not only that, people are universally getting better at avoiding missiles. Missiles are terrible, yes, but people have been stepping their movement game up to not be as brain dead as low level Marvel is and getting around what they were only complaining about months ago and just eating them because they didn't know what else to do. People just can't fight Chris G. He's on point and isn't falling for folks simple tricks. Until someone both steps up their mental game, develops their theoretical counters or counter strategies, and doesn't take the L because of a pot split, Chris G is sitting pretty.

I don't know if I'd call the metagame right now healthy, but I'm seeing improvement everywhere and underdogs putting in work, and I can still tune into a stream and see some godlike player with potential not playing Doom blowing it up with Arthur, Iron Man, Firebrand, etc. and get hype over it. If these so called mid tier characters had become obsolete, I'd say there's reason to worry for where Marvel is going. But as it stands, because these characters are still viable in appropriate team compositions, I'm not really sitting here thinking Marvel is dying, but I can understand people's frustrations.

Threi is fapping to this thread right now btw.
:lol

My only regret is that I didn't start making clown noises. I apologize, I'll try to remember to bring a novelty tricycle horn next time.

Rest of the tournament was pretty sick though I felt

Might be an inappropriate question so feel free to parry Markman style.

Did they even say sorry to you for spending all that time commentating the event and trying your best to make it as good as it can be?

I'd be seriously pissed.

As for the tourney, I enjoyed P4A. Say what you want about it, but 8 characters in top 8 (from memory) always makes it fun.

kirblar

This is where Sorny should jump in and mention how much those new PS4 media sharing features can help the FGC, as well as mention that you don't always need to be connected to the internet.

The second part is still a concern, right?
Yeah, the second part is just hugely problematic. In Japan, the arcade provide an incentive for keeping interest in the games high long-term, but outside of that market, there's not a good way for them to keep the income flowing. It's why moving to an Expansion-based model (a la Blizzard) is likely the best way to do things- you keep sales of the expansions high by sustaining interest in the game.

Frantic

Wolverine, DHC Glitch, invincible assists, Dark Phoenix, so much hy-
residentsleeper.png

We should all go back to vanilla, that'll show Capcom!

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Lol I like how people are saying "oh wah entitled stream monsters" when people like Ultradavid and Viscant are talking about how dumb that was. In fact you you have UD talking about how dumb it is as it's happening on the stream.

Dahbomb

There were a bunch of things that kept Wolverine in check in Vanilla (Flame Carpet, Invincible assists, etc.), and you at least got to play a neutral game against Wolverine. Morrigan + Doom mostly takes away your neutral game and you're pretty much forced to dodge and block the fireballs until you get close to her.
Nah man Wolverine was worse in Vanilla because he neutralized all sorts of neutral games forcing everyone to play invincible assists and Dante spamming invincible Hammers. That game was just a bad mess of a game, no one wants to return to that. People were hyped in Vanilla because the game was still developing but if it had been left as is the meta game would've been far more stale than what UMVC3 is now. That game had a clear superior team set up (God tier on point like Dante, invincible assist, Phoenix), UMVC3 it's not nearly as clear cut and it's just MorriDoom that upsets the balance, most other top tiers are easily dispatched with superior play.

Right now UMVC3 is in a bad shape but the players are also to blame. The funny part is that ChrisG is not even playing 100% and has way more room for improvement but with pot splits and easy wins he has no incentive to get better. Justin has pretty much given up trying to beat ChrisG. At least FChamp still claims to be trying hard to win.

kirblar

ZTS was completely right about Chris G's pot split tendencies depressing the top-level scene btw. There's currently no real incentive for other players to develop ways to beat him. He's keeping the lambs fed.

Azure J

Wolverine, DHC Glitch, invincible assists, Dark Phoenix, so much hy-
residentsleeper.png

We should all go back to vanilla, that'll show Capcom!

I have come to a conclusion that Vanilla's pet name(s) is Unacceptable (or Burn In The Flames) vs. Get Back 3. It was the greatest spectator thing in the world just to witness how much people could put up with until the bird got her five meters or Wolverine ran right through your plasma and sunk Adamantium in your spine, but damn if Vanilla wasn't the most grimy thing ever released.

Not to mention the era of the left-right was still strong so you had Akuma flying around with the "We Don't Give a Fuck about you son"-copter dispelling your puny zoning while Wolvy went feral on people.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
So the scene can't grow to the level it needs to without these guys coming around - but these guys won't come around until the money is right - but the money won't be right until these guys come around.
I don't like blatant match throwing any more than the next guy, but I don't see a single reason why anything in this sentence has to be true.

SmokeMaxX

You want to be completely anal about it? What if instead of using Yun KO and Daigo just dicked around with necro?

Why do you think the cannon brothers, wizard are up in arms about this shit? Missing the point entirely.

I wrote this long reply to this quote, but I'll just summarize. Don't generalize about the scene just because you dislike one thing that happened. The scene is bigger than two players and it's insulting to hear that the scene doesn't care about competitiveness just because of this incident. More importantly, it's insulting to hear someone say that Justin Wong and Chris G don't care about competitiveness when they won the tournament. Just sounds like scrub talk.

DEATH™

Well, not really... Blizzard earns money because all players that come in to Starcraft go in to be competitive, a large population of people buying their game are in competitive scene, therefore the competitive community got a great voice. They also don't spend a big part of their mechanics to appealcto casuals, so people would actually learn the game properly and get exposed to the competitive scene.

Fighting games on the other hand, the competitive bunch doesn't comprise a big percent... and FG companies in particular earn more money by ripping off casuals by selling characters separately and selling stuff like costumes. And unless people stop tolerating them, companies won't care.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
DEATH™;53967717 said:
Well, not really... Blizzard earns money because all players that come in to Starcraft go in to be competitive, a large population of people buying their game are in competitive scene, therefore the competitive community got a great voice. They also don't spend a big part of their mechanics to appealcto casuals, so people would actually learn the game properly and get exposed to the competitive scene.

Fighting games on the other hand, the competitive bunch doesn't comprise a big percent... and FG companies in particular earn more money by ripping off casuals by selling characters separately and selling stuff like costumes. And unless people stop tolerating them, companies won't care.

The last RTS I played was single-player Warcraft 2 in like 1995 or some shit, so I don't know much about Starcraft, but I have trouble believing this.

Anyway, you guys should give Injustice a chance. It's pretty fun =^_^=

kirblar

DEATH™;53967717 said:

Competitive players are always a vocal minority within the overall context of every game. No troll.

Might be an inappropriate question so feel free to parry Markman style.

Did they even say sorry to you for spending all that time commentating the event and trying your best to make it as good as it can be?

I'd be seriously pissed.

As for the tourney, I enjoyed P4A. Say what you want about it, but 8 characters in top 8 (from memory) always makes it fun.
I didn't think about it like that, it's no more of an affront to me than it is to everyone else. I'd probably be more upset if I were still a player. Actually I guess now that I think about it, it bugs me that I'm over here with this stupid nerve bs preventing me from even competing and these dudes are choosing to not even compete. But being a pro player is a hard life, it's not some cake walk. Playing a video game is fun and traveling is fun, but both get really monotonous when you have to do them 8 hours a day and every week. So I understand why they'd want to play some silly crap to an extent. I'd never want to be a pro gamers, bad life to choose imo.

Anyway all that aside I told Justin this sucked and that he needed to never do it again. He apologized and honestly seemed very contrite. I haven't seen Chris, guess I won't cause I'm flying out in like 5 hours. Oh wow I'm gonna get like 2 hours of sleep it's a good thing I stayed up for Marvel blah

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Vanilla was a great game, fuck you guys. Nothing is better than full screen gunshot infinites into a full combo. NOTHING. I loved how stupid it was.

But really, I always picture the Marvel metagame as the journey and not the destination. Seth described it kinda succinctly too, there's always the bad guy everyone wants to see handled. Be it Wesker, Zero, MorriDoom, Vergil, whoever. And when someone does its all that sweeter. Look at how excited people got when people got games off of Chris G, then they turn around and act like he's invincible and that would never happen. That was the case in Vanilla too, Phoenix was the one to hate and subsequently led to Good vs. Evil being the best MvC3 series event ever. The players put in WORK to try and counter Phoenix, and look how under the pressures that be it got so close down to the wire between the two teams. If an unbalanced as fuck game that hinges on Phoenix could produce that and those counters, for damn sure UMvC3 can.

Will everyone stick around to watch? TBD.

fuck why can't I sleep

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
I wrote this long reply to this quote, but I'll just summarize. Don't generalize about the scene just because you dislike one thing that happened. The scene is bigger than two players and it's insulting to hear that the scene doesn't care about competitiveness just because of this incident. More importantly, it's insulting to hear someone say that Justin Wong and Chris G don't care about competitiveness when they won the tournament. Just sounds like scrub talk.

The issue was that they did something very unprofessional in front of 10,000+ viewers. You can lose a lot of potential profit doing something like that on stream.

Sayah

At this point, I'd rather have a MvC4. Or Nintendo vs. Capcom. Or Namco vs. Capcom. Just use the same established formula, expand on it and try to make it more balanced.

The latter two are my dream games. Unfortunately, the chances of them ever being realized are slim to none. Nintendo lending characters? NOPE. Namco lending characters after SFXTK? NOPE.

DEATH™;53966601 said:

It's all in good fun. Don't worry about it. I actually like the meme.

Frantic

I have come to a conclusion that Vanilla's pet name(s) is Unacceptable (or Burn In The Flames) vs. Get Back 3. It was the greatest spectator thing in the world just to witness how much people could put up with until the bird got her five meters or Wolverine ran right through your plasma and sunk Adamantium in your spine, but damn if Vanilla wasn't the most grimy thing ever released.

Not to mention the era of the left-right was still strong so you had Akuma flying around with the "We Don't Give a Fuck about you son"-copter dispelling your puny zoning while Wolvy went feral on people.
All I can say is GET BACK GET BACK GET BACK GET BACK

MvC3 was so dumb, haha.

DR2K

Banned
ZTS was completely right about Chris G's pot split tendencies depressing the top-level scene btw. There's currently no real incentive for other players to develop ways to beat him. He's keeping the lambs fed.

Nah if people could beat it they would have. Pot splitting has been around forever even among top players.

Chris G broke the game down. So either players are going to pick his team or keep pretending there's a secret combination in the roster that just hadn't been discovered by the thousands playing the game at all levels at all times. Some players are getting on the Morridoom band wagon. Eventually the game will turn into a 3 character game. If you want to win come evo Chris G has already broken umvc3 down.

they won the tournament?

You and I both agree with Ultradavid's conclusion. They're both second place.

Talking about being insulting, a random select grand finals totally isnt insulting to the other players, TOs, sponsors and viewers. Im sure those two players were thinking about the entire scene when doing that.

UMvC3 won't die until it's replacement comes regardless of whether it takes two years or ten.

This. Sure, it may not grow as big or as fast if more people become disinterested because of stuff like Morridoom or obvious pot splitting, but Marvel is still Marvel and people will still tune in or play regardless of how stale it becomes. And I hate pot splitting just as much as the next guy, for all the "spirit of competition" reasons.

kirblar

Vanilla was a great game, fuck you guys. Nothing is better than full screen gunshot infinites into a full combo. NOTHING. I loved how stupid it was.

But really, I always picture the Marvel metagame as the journey and not the destination. Seth described it kinda succinctly too, there's always the bad guy everyone wants to see handled. Be it Wesker, Zero, MorriDoom, Vergil, whoever. And when someone does its all that sweeter. Look at how excited people got when people got games off of Chris G, then they turn around and act like he's invincible and that would never happen. That was the case in Vanilla too, Phoenix was the one to hate and subsequently led to Good vs. Evil being the best MvC3 series event ever. The players put in WORK to try and counter Phoenix, and look how under the pressures that be it got so close down to the wire between the two teams. If an unbalanced as fuck game that hinges on Phoenix could produce that and those counters, for damn sure UMvC3 can.

Will everyone stick around to watch? TBD.

fuck why can't I sleep
There will always be a top tier. But FGs and many other games have a great deal of appeal because they allow players exploration. Balance patches help by shuffling the deck and bringing everyone back to a point where not everything has been figured out.

Nah if people could beat it they would have. Pot splitting has been around forever even among top players.

Chris G broke the game down. So either players are going to pick his team or keep pretending there's a secret combination in the roster that just hadn't been discovered by the thousands playing the game at all levels at all times. Some players are getting on the Morridoom band wagon. Eventually the game will turn into a 3 character game. If you want to win come evo Chris G has already broken umvc3 down.
The issue is that other players have other games to practice and play. Why put time into Marvel?

SmokeMaxX

The last RTS I played was single-player Warcraft 2 in like 1995 or some shit, so I don't know much about Starcraft, but I have trouble believing this.
This may be true for SC2. I played SC1 "casually" on a competitive level (basically competitive custom maps) and in the beginning of SC2, it was impossible to do that. Everything revolved around playing people in ladder matches. The games played basically forced you to get pretty good pretty fast. I mean obviously not everyone's trying to win every match or become [insert the current best SC2 player here] but the mechanics you have to learn to play SC2 is equivalent to learning FADC/X Factor cancels in fighting games. Of course those cancels are easy to us, but I'd say like 25% of the people who bought SF4 know how to FADC while probably at least 66% of the people who bought SC2 knows some complex chain of commands that makes spells, attacking, and/or moving more efficient.

Dahbomb

The only reason why that Phoenix event worked out because half of the Phoenix players in the roster weren't even good. If every Phoenix player was near FChamp caliber people would've been mad salty and the event would've been unhype. Instead you had Justin Wong beating people with his gimmick X23 team. Plus it was 1 round Marvel, anything could've happened. And the GF was 2 Phoenix + 2 invincible assist players.... it was essentially poetic about the state of the game and it being the last major of that game.

If we kept that mentality of "screw you guys Vanilla Marvel was hype" we wouldn't have UMVC3 with vastly superior balance changes. The fact that problems were identified and then fixed allowed the game to survive and be hype for a longer time. That's why we can't pretend like this MorriDoom BS isn't a problem. Last time the community tried to come up with actual counters to something was for Vanilla Phoenix. If people spent more time studying and countering Vergil instead (like FChamp does) you would see far less people falling for Helm Breakers and his non mix ups.

The only reason why that Phoenix event worked out because half of the Phoenix players in the roster weren't even good. If every Phoenix player was near FChamp caliber people would've been mad salty and the event would've been unhype. Instead you had Justin Wong beating people with his gimmick X23 team. Plus it was 1 round Marvel, anything could've happened. And the GF was 2 Phoenix + 2 invincible assist players.... it was essentially poetic about the state of the game and it being the last major of that game.

If we kept that mentality of "screw you guys Vanilla Marvel was hype" we wouldn't have UMVC3 with vastly superior balance changes. The fact that problems were identified and then fixed allowed the game to survive and be hype for a longer time. That's why we can't pretend like this MorriDoom BS isn't a problem. Last time the community tried to come up with actual counters to something was for Vanilla Phoenix. If people spent more time studying and countering Vergil (like FChamp does) you would see far less people falling for Helm Breakers and his non mix ups.

I can't wait for the 5v5 Morrigan/Doom event.

sephi22

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";53967174]-_-[/QUOTE]
Modifying TACs will take some work, but you can't tell me changing move damage/properties will take a lot of work.

Top Bottom