• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 15-21 | That's 102%, Welcome to DCU

Zukuu

Banned
One idea: should tournies ban team/char switching- that would solve the sandbagging random teams issue. You can't go random select if you're not allowed to go random select.

Was sandbagging ever an issue at SBO?

I main random select (in SF4) and I'd be mad if a tournament would ban it lol.
I'd rather like to see the rule that random select is an own choice and no the character you get. So if you win you need to use random select again, instead of using the same character you got the last time.

SmokeMaxX

One idea: should tournies ban team/char switching- that would solve the sandbagging random teams issue. You can't go random select if you're not allowed to go random select.

Was sandbagging ever an issue at SBO?

Lol. And what if they picked their main teams and just walked forward the entire time?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Shoulda called it "Marvel Kombat."
Being the minion I am, I'd name every thread Fighting Games Weekly | marvel marvel marvel marvel marvel marvel marvel marvel marvel marvel marvel marvel

But I don't think it'd fit.

"When's DC?" Would have been good too but votes are votes.

What difference does it make? Both players have to try hard for it to matter and usually when you see blatant pot splits, one person really would rather get triple perfected than "try" (whether it be an ego thing or a "saving it for nationals" thing). If I agree to play against you and you tell me that you're not going to try at all, what incentive do I have to try hard against you? I mean my setups get exposed now and if I lose, it's straight up demoralizing.

I agree that shitty grand finals are shitty, but it's not the pot splitting that's the problem.

It makes a difference in relation to a shitty finals? That is the thing people have problems with? Pot split away, play it out for real after that. I guess they don't owe the audience anything, but it's not a lot to ask either.

I don't see your angle kinda. All your reasons are basically ego based, as in, they don't want to look bad trying hard for real after they pot split, or insecurities in losing to their friends on a big stage. They are the best anyways, if one of us sees their set-up, we are going to beat them now?

My point is, I think they should if so choose, they agree to pot split, then they go, now that the business side of it is complete, they agree to play for real and see who is best.

It's whatever, it's up to them. Somebody will have to beat them.

Durant and LeBron are buddies and are already getting paid, I think they want to rip each others hearts out on the court, and then be back to buddies off the court.

Sorry for the sports references, I have NBA on the brain!

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Then it's really just 52%. You can do that without sweat in SF, SFxT, MvC3, P4A and almost any other fighting game as well. The game will end up being played bo5 anyway.

Yeah. I've only played the demo, but considering the round structure and lack of any real comeback mechanic, I'm not completely sure I'm even against those crazy high damage stage gimmick combos, though it does feel kind of silly. 75% I might be OK with. I'm not sure about 102%.

https://www.facebook.com/Viscant/posts/454712361272211

It's not about pot splits or having friends. It's not about what you do with the money. That's your business and your business alone. It's hard to say no to your friends if they want to split the pot and it's REALLY hard to turn down a split if you don't want the pressure and you need the money. The pressure of playing a 3 out of 5 money match for $2500 to pay your rent is something most stream monsters will never know. Screw em.

What it's about is not spitting in the face of people who care about the game and care about you. If you're one of the best players at a game you're one of the leaders of your community. You're someone that people look up to and develop an emotional response to. Pooh pooh that all you want, that's the truth. People on 20 forums 45 minutes ago were arguing about matchups and man vs. man and now are just frustrated with both the players and the game.

Even if you don't care about the game and even if you don't care about what people think of you, those people are paying your bills by supporting events. Those people are paying your bills by patronizing your sponsors and keeping your scene going. Even if you don't care about them, you should care enough about yourself to not spit in their face.

Marvel is about hype. For better or for worse. If you kill the hype and the passion, you'll kill the game.

usctrojan

The great thing about tournament players is that they don't have to cater to stream monsters if they don't want to.

you're right and they shouldn't have to stop if they don't want to. But it is making it pretty boring. No way id pay for that boring ass type of play. If stream views bring any revenue at all, I'm sure it matters at least a bit.

was gone the whole weekend, what did I miss?

I remember reading neogaf about P4A GF on gaf. =( and I love P4A. I feel like some characters are very deep in terms of playstyle. The problem is that the top tier derp is just really derp.

Jauncy

Neo Member
Plus for ChrisG in particular, he seems so much ahead of everybody. Why would he pot split? I would go for all the glory and all the money personally. But if he depends on this for rent money, I guess he can't take that chance. idk, whatevers.

Someone made a great point earlier on this; its highly likely he split pots with people not just in Marvel. So if he shuns from splitting at his strongest game, no one will split with him in AE or SFxT.

Like others have said, I have zero problems with pot splitting. Nobody knows what is going on in the players' life, and most of them do not get paid to play, so take the money where you can. Just play it out with heart.

Azure J

It's not about pot splits or having friends. It's not about what you do with the money. That's your business and your business alone. It's hard to say no to your friends if they want to split the pot and it's REALLY hard to turn down a split if you don't want the pressure and you need the money. The pressure of playing a 3 out of 5 money match for $2500 to pay your rent is something most stream monsters will never know. Screw em.

What it's about is not spitting in the face of people who care about the game and care about you. If you're one of the best players at a game you're one of the leaders of your community. You're someone that people look up to and develop an emotional response to. Pooh pooh that all you want, that's the truth. People on 20 forums 45 minutes ago were arguing about matchups and man vs. man and now are just frustrated with both the players and the game.

Even if you don't care about the game and even if you don't care about what people think of you, those people are paying your bills by supporting events. Those people are paying your bills by patronizing your sponsors and keeping your scene going. Even if you don't care about them, you should care enough about yourself to not spit in their face.

Marvel is about hype. For better or for worse. If you kill the hype and the passion, you'll kill the game.

Viscant's great. Koogy, get him a head start on a GAF account already!

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Copy/paste for those of us too hipster for Facebook pls?
.It's not about pot splits or having friends. It's not about what you do with the money. That's your business and your business alone. It's hard to say no to your friends if they want to split the pot and it's REALLY hard to turn down a split if you don't want the pressure and you need the money. The pressure of playing a 3 out of 5 money match for $2500 to pay your rent is something most stream monsters will never know. Screw em.

God damn it.

Azure you voted for my title too, tell enzo

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
As usual, Viscant is on the ball. Not only will Viscant save the blight in the FGC that is Marvel, but he will save the FGC in its entirely.

This is your last warning. Extra Good Viscant will rise soon.

Sayah

^

Simpsons really has a gif/jpg for every situation.

Also, pot splitting for realz? Used to pay for rent money?

I think it's kind of unhealthy to make tournament-going your official source of income. It's better to build a career and not have an empty resume. The only positive would be you can avoid taxes, I guess?

But as these players grow older, reflexes will deteriorate and new blood will start dominating the competition. No one always remains at top.

Reading Viscant's post and the pressure of playing a match with all the money on the line without the benefit of a pot split.

Remember back in the day when people would say ChrisG would lose his emotional composure sometimes?

Do you think this was because he wasn't pot splitting back in those days? But now that he is, that pressure is not on him in top 8? Would only apply if playing against somebody who agreed to the pot split of course, hehe.

Riposte

As usual, Viscant is on the ball. Not only will Viscant save the blight in the FGC that is Marvel, but he will save the FGC in its entirely.

This is your last warning. Extra Good Viscant will rise soon.

Yeah, I always appreciate what Viscant has to say, more than most in the FGC.

^

Simpsons really has a gif/jpg for every situation.

Also, pot splitting for realz? Used to pay for rent money?

I think it's kind of unhealthy to make tournament-going your official source of income. It's better to build a career and not have an empty resume. The only positive would be you can avoid taxes, I guess?

But as these players grow older, reflexes will deteriorate and new blood will start dominating the competition. No one always remains at top.

Yeah it's really a terrible decision. But to each their own.

#teampurity

L8obA3L.jpg

SmokeMaxX

It makes a difference in relation to a shitty finals? That is the thing people have problems with? Pot split away, play it out for real after that. I guess they don't owe the audience anything, but it's not a lot to ask either.

I don't see your angle kinda. All your reasons are basically ego based, as in, they don't want to look bad trying hard for real after they pot split, or insecurities in losing to their friends on a big stage. They are the best anyways, if one of us sees their set-up, we are going to beat them now?

My point is, I think they should if so choose, they agree to pot split, then they go, now that the business side of it is complete, they agree to play for real and see who is best.

It's whatever, it's up to them. Somebody will have to beat them.

Durant and LeBron are buddies and are already getting paid, I think they want to rip each others hearts out on the court, and then be back to buddies off the court.

Sorry for the sports references, I have NBA on the brain!
My point is this- It takes two.
If both players don't agree to play the match out, it's going to look like shit regardless. If I triple perfect you because you're holding forward, you think the crowd is going to cheer me on? That's the dilemma that players run into when they want to play it out. There's no incentive to play "as hard as I can" if you already commit to playing like shit. I'm still going to get ragged on by the community for "splitting the pot."

alstein

I main random select (in SF4) and I'd be mad if a tournament would ban it lol.
I'd rather like to see the rule that random select is an own choice and no the character you get. So if you win you need to use random select again, instead of using the same character you got the last time.

That was the SBO rule on random select.

One guy entered KOF98 on random select one year and went far.

As for paying your rent money on tournies- if that's what you gotta do because you can't do anything else, you might as well do it.

I'm not faulting the potsplits, I am faulting the effort.

smurfx

get some go again
if the fgc had great sponsors they would give their guys a nice cash bonus for winning a big tournament and that way they would try hard to win the finals even if they are pot splitting. then again those players might end up convincing the other guy to let them win and give them some money in return so they can get that bonus.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan

I don't know. Valle still does really well for himself, and both Daigo and Infiltration are in their 30s. Aren't you considered over the hill in Starcraft, etc, if you're in your 30s?

Maybe age would be more of an issue if the level of competition in the FGC was on the same level as SC.

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
You know how this pot split wouldn't of ever occurred? If Texas and the rest of the out-of-state players weren't so free.

It took like 3 HOURS to get from T16 to T8 in Marvel. They ran all of T16 on that one stream setup, I don't know about you guys, but I got bored watching before winners semis was streamed and didn't really care about how the tournament went from that point on.

DR2K

Banned
Morridoom has destroyed the game. This is what happens when a developer leaves a game to die in this decade. This is not MVC2 where people are just going sit there and deal with broken mechanics and fucked up balance. MVC3 used to be about hype, unique team combinations clutch and epic grand finals. Its a shame Capcom has abandoned the series and continues updating games that don't need to be updated or ones that no one wants to exist.

End rant, fuck what Marvel has turned into and shame on Capcom for abandoning a great series.

alstein

if the fgc had great sponsors they would give their guys a nice cash bonus for winning a big tournament and that way they would try hard to win the finals even if they are pot splitting. then again those players might end up convincing the other guy to let them win and give them some money in return so they can get that bonus.

They'd split the pot bonus.

FG's are more mindgame based than Starcraft- so it's easier for older folks to stay competitive.

Morridoom hasn't destroyed the game until folks stop entering tournies for Marvel.

smurfx

get some go again
Morridoom has destroyed the game. This is what happens when a developer leaves a game to die in this decade. This is not MVC2 where people are just going sit there and deal with broken mechanics and fucked up balance. MVC3 used to be about hype, unique team combinations clutch and epic grand finals. Its a shame Capcom has abandoned the series and continues updating games that don't need to be updated or ones that no one wants to exist.

End rant, fuck what Marvel has turned into and shame on Capcom for abandoning a great series.
no doom missiles and stupid TAC nonsense is what's making umvc not as much fun to watch anymore.

sephi22

1 patch. Just 1 patch can add another year (at least) of life to this game. Fuckin' Capcom.
Just remove TAC infinites and nerf Doom missiles, Astral Vision, and Vergil derp.

Done. That's it. What's that - 30 lines of code?

EDIT: And Zero buster nonsense

My point is this- It takes two.
If both players don't agree to play the match out, it's going to look like shit regardless. If I triple perfect you because you're holding forward, you think the crowd is going to cheer me on? That's the dilemma that players run into when they want to play it out. There's no incentive to play "as hard as I can" if you already commit to playing like shit. I'm still going to get ragged on by the community for "splitting the pot."

Well, that's my point too, lol. I am saying they, as in all involved in the split, I would hope, see the benefit of playing it out for real. But at least one of the parties ego involved can't take.

So weirdly, if I was in a pot split, I would say, we splitting, but we playing for real. If they get all weird about, I know they have no confidence in beating me. I would have this smug smile in my head, like, I own this mufucker, he scurred. lol. I win the crown in my mind!!!

Azure J

God damn it.

Azure you voted for my title too, tell enzo

Yeah, I definitely thought the Frauds Among Us title was apt.

TACs should have just been Tatsunoko's Air Tags at most really. A meter per character tagged, followup combo from tagged character is something short to knock down to the ground, no meter gain on following combo, no dumbass zero hitstun reset on successful tag while in the air and defenders can pay meter to counter the tag.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

It's like we're all children in the cafeteria chattering about whatever when all of the sudden a homeless man strolls in and takes a dump in the middle of the table while shouting nonsense.

UMvC3 won't die until it's replacement comes regardless of whether it takes two years or ten.

This is the most amazing rant I've seen in the FGW threads so far.

Sayah

I don't know. Valle still does really well for himself, and both Daigo and Infiltration are in their 30s. Aren't you considered over the hill in Starcraft, etc, if you're in your 30s?

Maybe age would be more of an issue if the level of competition in the FGC was on the same level as SC.

I don't follow starcraft but usually everything worsens when you hit your 40's or so they say (vision, memory, reflexes, etc). It would suck if these same players had a mid-life crisis and had to work a minimum wage job to support themselves when they could have been doing a lot more with their lives.

It's entirely possible to attend tournaments on the weekends and have a career and a full time job. It's just more hard work. We have people in the FGC that do this. Betting your whole life on pot splits is not exactly a smart idea. But I'm not living their lives so who am I to say.

kirblar

SFxT had to be updated, simply to allow Capcom to maintain consumer confidence. MvC3 hopefully has taught them to include balance patches in their damn licensing contracts.

Don't like pot splits?

Step your shit up son.

Who would want to compete in a scene that doesn't value competition in the first place?

A lot of people got into street fighter because of daigo parry. Imagine instead of that it was justin and daigo dicking around with Q.

Top Bottom