• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 15-21 | That's 102%, Welcome to DCU

Beckx

Dear twitch make it so I can watch archives on my phone and I will hate you slightly less

Dear Twitch make your apps actually fucking work and I will hate you slightly less

Dear twitch, please kill your app with fire and make your damn website compliant with mobile browsers.

--------------------------------

P4A is one of my favorites. Calling it "shallow" really requires a "relatively" qualifier. I liked the fact that they included the A A A A A combo stuff. Games based on long combos can intimidating to new players (honestly the biggest bar to my learning UMvC3 has been mental, watching top players string together huge combos felt overwhelming). I like that there is that option for new players to do a simple, but less effective combo (some of the characters really could have used some tweaks to their system...). And getting a stand system again is fantastic.

It may be a small scene but it does seem to be evolving. Tournies aren't just Mitsuru/Teddie anymore.

P4A felt like a complicated game that had certain parts of it pinched into simpler packages, instead of a game with simple mechanics that expanded to produce complex interactions. I liked what I played of it and I think it's pretty amazing in terms of presentation, but I don't think it was ever a good ambassador for fighting games to the uninitiated like many people hoped it would be due to the Persona brand. It just ended up being another fighting game that was too punishing for first-timers yet not interesting enough to fighting gamers to keep its momentum within the community.

jbug617

Banned
Civil War are doing Team Tournaments and Exhibitions Friday.

The Exhibitions are:

Injustice
Darkstalkers
UMvC3 North vs South 10v10

P4A is one of my favorites. Calling it "shallow" really requires a "relatively" qualifier. I liked the fact that they included the A A A A A combo stuff. Games based on long combos can intimidating to new players (honestly the biggest bar to my learning UMvC3 has been mental, watching top players string together huge combos felt overwhelming). I like that there is that option for new players to do a simple, but less effective combo (some of the characters really could have used some tweaks to their system...). And getting a stand system again is fantastic.

Yeah, I've only played a bit of it, but I'm still glad that I picked it up for local play. I do casuals semi-often with non / lapsed gamers. And it's really nice to just be able to have totally new players just bang on A to get at least some type of combo to come out. Makes the 2D games way more fun for beginners. Plus they like all the big flashy persona attacks. Because of how I play (often with non FG players) I'm always appreciative of games that include some type of easy input modes to let players who have no interest in really learning the mechanics still make cool stuff happen.

Beckx

Speaking of which they announced a date for BBCP's release on Playstation 3. It's coming October 24th
in Japan

I wonder how quickly the limited editions will sell out. The Rachel Nendroid is excellent.

Yeah, I've only played a bit of it, but I'm still glad that I picked it up for local play. I do casuals semi-often with non / lapsed gamers. And it's really nice to just be able to have totally new players just bang on A to get at least some type of combo to come out. Makes the 2D games way more fun for beginners. Plus they like all the big flashy persona attacks. Because of how I play (often with non FG players) I'm always appreciative of games that include some type of easy input modes to let players who have no interest in really learning the mechanics still make cool stuff happen.

Yeah, I hate just playing randoms online so most of my play is either online with friends in player matches or local. Local means friends and family (kids) who aren't as familiar with fighters. Things like this (or simple mode in Marvel, though simple goes too far) make it fun.

Beckx

That's a really interesting response and the most matter of fact Sven has been yet. As expected, low sales + low margins = bye bye licensed fighting game.

This was really enlightening too, why they released Origins:

That deal was done as a part of the UMVC3 extension negotiation. Marvel wanted to see another digital release as a part of the deal. We felt that Origins was the best path forward, and we knew Iron Galaxy could pull it off as a part of the roadmap were setting for them (in short, a different and appropriate resource was available).

Either way, I love Origins, the sprites in those two games are divine.

Dahbomb

In any case patch/DLC/update or not... it's very clear that Capcom just does not like dealing with licenses. They don't like having to fly out their developers just to discuss Dr Strange's hand motions so that they are 100% authentic to the comics. For that reason I can't say I am expecting MVC4 any time soon or anything Marvel related from Capcom for that matter.

It does give someme credibility to a Capcom All Stars game. There is no reason not to at this point, it's probably their safest bet as far as releasing a new fighting game is concerned and they can use a modified UMVC3 engine. I can't imagine Capcom's fighting game portfolio next gen to include only SFV and DS4.

A Capcom focused versus game is the way to go. It was getting really tiring having to watch them hamstring MvC3 game development and DLC colors just to cater to Marvel's whims.

Horseress

A Capcom focused versus game is the way to go. It was getting really tiring having to watch them hamstring the game's development and DLC colors just to cater to Marvel's whims.

That would be so cool, Capcom doesn't need Marvel characters to do a MvC3-ish game, they have great characters on their own. Maybe they are still worried about how Capcom Fighting Jam failed?

vocab

Id love for a capcom vs game, but will people even play it when it doesnt have that YO MARVEL appeal?

I don't know.

That would be so cool, Capcom doesn't need Marvel characters to do a MvC3-ish game, they have great characters on their own. Maybe they are still worried about how Capcom Fighting Jam failed?
Names mean everything and Capcom knows that. We'll see tons of people screaming for a new CvS or MvC if this hypothetical Capcom versus comes to light.
Id love for a capcom vs game, but will people even play it when it doesnt have that YO MARVEL appeal?

I don't know.
Some won't, but that is part of the risk one has to take to create and grow a new IP.
Did TvC end up doing well for Capcom or did it just plain die at birth?
It was a Wii game.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Damn that Capcom thread. There goes the Strider reboot, DmC2 and Remember Me I guess. Sounds like Remember Me has been cancelled straight up; so close to release too.

Some fucking how LP3 survives though. Lol @ "decline in quality due to outsourcing."

Capcom needs this slap in the face I've been praying for forever.

Dahbomb

I don't know.
I would be there day 1 if they can make the 50 character roster of UMVC3, have 3 on 3 team based game play and use a similar engine (but remove TACs) with superior netcode and single player features. Marvel is Marvel but a ton of the appeal of the Marvel series is related to the huge roster, over the top game play and the team building aspect which can be replicated in a Capcom All Stars game.

Since we already opened the can of worm, these are the characters I would add to complete the 50 character roster of CAS:

Gene
Megaman X
Asura
Nero
Date Masamune
Rathalos
Nina
Regina
Sagat (for the fanboys)
Jin Saotome
Captain Commando
Jedah
Dimitri or Pyron
PTX
Soki
Tessa
Vanessa Z. Schneider
Seig Warheit (although cannot really be used due to licensing issues)
Maximo
Akira
Son Son
Ruby Heart
Sigma
Seth or Gill
Harman Smith (Killer 7)
Hayato
Rouge

Damn that Capcom thread. There goes the Strider reboot, DmC2 and Remember Me I guess. Sounds like Remember Me has been cancelled straight up; so close to release too.
Talk about jumping to conclusions. No way is Remember Me cancelled.

alstein

Imo BBCP surpassed GG finally. Though that's probably like trying to tell a super turbo fan another game is better when it comes to that fan base

We already saw that this gen. The better game got rejected when old players got salty they lost to folks who learned how to use the changes.

alstein

You're talking about learning curve. For two new players mashing buttons at each other, that's a non-factor. Even SF4 requires hundreds of hours of commitment before a complete newbie is remotely close to being competitive. If someone today is actually interested in entering the scene and willing to put in the time, he'll naturally look or the game with the most players.

With so many games to choose from that are quality, folks have to have a reason to pick your game.

The more difficult your game is to pick up, the better those other games look.

Busaiku

Tatsunoko vs Capcom Ultimate All Stars debuted similarly to BlazBlue Calamity Trigger and Persona 4 Arena, though we don't know where it went from there.
BlazBlue had great legs, dunno about Persona 4 Arena.

Kioshen

Some fucking how LP3 survives though. Lol @ "decline in quality due to outsourcing."

Wait what ? I was so looking forward to that game and they were heavily promoting that game at Pax East this year !?

Nah man people would still complain.

"Why didn't my waifu Cammy made it in? OMFG another DMC character?"
They probably would, but it would sound silly. Capcom just needs to not be stupid with the slots. SF should be the only franchise that can have four slots max. RE is capped at three along with all other fighting franchises, Megaman and DMC. Anything else that isn't specifically a fighting franchise is capped at two slots max.

4-SF
3-RE
3-DMC
3-Darkstalkers
3-Rival Schools
3-Megaman
3-Project Justice
3-Red Earth
3-Powerstone
2-Onimusha
2-Monster Hunter
2-Sengoku Basara
2-Breath of Fire
2-Ghosts and Goblins

Edit: Two or so extra slots for some Captain Commando and Jin!

Just a few slots there.

nycfurby

Dhalsim's Max CPM Emporium
Injustice Monsters:

Got a new beginner tutorial up for Green Lantern, check it out!
http://youtu.be/vVV265DzYww

The only move I don't over is his overhead rocket (down to back, then 2). But I haven't found a use for it. The force lift makes his overhead move redundant in my opinion. But it's only a beginner tutorial anyway.

Beckx

I'm down with that list, putting Akira on it makes you okay in my book. Donovan over Jedah, though. Also would be neat to see them branch out grabbing villains from MegaMan.

Only problem with 3 slots for DS is that they will invariably be used for the same three female characters. At the very least ditch Felicia and put in Demitri, Donovan or Victor.

--------------------------

Edit:

how about some crazy talk - Capcom creates a new fighting game IP, making up their own superheroes.

Yeah, I know. When was the last new Capcom fighting IP? Star Gladiator or Cyberbots?

-----------------------------

Watching Maximillian's new tutorial makes me sad. If ONLY Injustice had music as good as John Williams' Superman score.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wait what ? I was so looking forward to that game and they were heavily promoting that game at Pax East this year !?
view.php

No mention of Remember me in the Fiscal Year. Actually it's probably still coming under "other major titles." But it not being among the rest, I can't even imagine how little they expect it to sell.

I don't think fighting games will be affected under the restructuring though, they pretty well fit with the new company goals.

Dahbomb

They probably would, but it would sound silly. Capcom just needs to not be stupid with the slots. SF should be the only franchise that can have four slots max. RE is capped at three along with all other fighting franchises, Megaman and DMC. Anything else that isn't specifically a fighting franchise is capped at two slots max.

4-SF
3-RE
3-DMC
3-Darkstalkers
3-Rival Schools
3-Megaman
3-Project Justice
3-Red Earth
3-Powerstone
2-Onimusha
2-Monster Hunter
2-Sengoku Basara
2-Breath of Fire
2-Ghosts and Goblins

Just a few slots there.
Nah man DMC capped at 4 too. Gotta have my triple white boy team. DS and SF should be capped at 5 as they are from fighting game franchises.

They aren't using the same limitation as UMVC3 for character slot, they can afford to have more slots on popular series with lots of characters. I mean even with my list of 50 characters (on top of the 25 in UMVC3 already) I had to struggle to come up with characters from other franchises... had to dig extra deep.

Dahbomb

Also I just looked up the results for Injustice. Disappointed that Justin didn't take it but I guess he needs more time in the oven. That Superman player was definitely on point though, those frame traps were crazy.

FChamp would've been demolished at WNF. Only one Deathstroke in top 8 as expected, solid fundamentals and rushdown beats bad Deathstroke play easily.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

4-SF
3-RE
3-DMC
3-Darkstalkers
3-Rival Schools
3-Megaman
3-Project Justice
3-Red Earth
3-Powerstone
2-Onimusha
2-Monster Hunter
2-Sengoku Basara
2-Breath of Fire
2-Ghosts and Goblins

Just a few slots there.
That's a mighty amount of slots given to dead franchises that haven't done much for Capcom in a long ass time. That is being stupid with slots right there, ensuring you get no sales from the broad audience. Lol @ pretty much everything from Rival Schools down getting as many slots as they do except Megaman and Monster Hunter. Lost Planet and Dead Rising deserve more than ALL of those, most of which should be 1 and maybe 2 max.

It's not like they lost money because of bad sales, they're restructuring for the next gen.

Beckx

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";54433029]Demitri is the sort of character that only people who don't play Darkstalkers would think is a good add to a fighting game.[/QUOTE]

We certainly wouldn't want anyone to have fun by including the lead character of the series.

Eh, keeping a low character roof is important so that each character can be fully fleshed out and I want to see variety in the roster too. Also, fuck DMC after MvC3. Dudes played favorites in a hardcore way with the balancing.

Edit: I mean, it just turns out weird. My list omits freaking Amateratsu, Viewtiful Joe and Strider. Like... why would I want a fourth DMC character, a fifth Street Fighter and Demitri over those guys? lolno
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";54433029]Demitri is the sort of character that only people who don't play Darkstalkers would think is a good add to a fighting game.[/QUOTE]
Fuck what your tag says. Clearly you should still have the job. Can't sand Demitri at all. Basically everyone in the game except maybe Rikuo is a far more interesting character aesthetically (Rikuo>Demiri easily in this department) and when it comes to gameplay.

Dahbomb

Yeah no way Red Earth, Project Justice, Rival Schools and Power Stone should get 3 fucking slots. Hell I think Onimusha getting 2 slots is too much... who the hell are you going to put in aside from Soki? Can't use Samanouske anyway because of the whole actor look a like thing and if they want to use the main villain Nobunaga they can just use the 2nd slot from Sengoku Basara.

BTW I would want that girl from Remember Me to make it in as well. She has some cool abilities, great for a VS fighter.

Top Bottom