• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 15-21 | That's 102%, Welcome to DCU

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Makes his bullets unblockable. But he has a cooldown period afterwards that makes all his shots miss.

Yeah I'm going to bed too. Timezone difference too stronk.

SmokeMaxX

MorriDoom would rape Cable. "Hyper Vi- *gets hit by missiles*"
Shit would be free. Not to mention MorriDoom either gets setup as Cable comes in or she just does whatever the hell she wants to do at the beginning of the round. Who cares if she (and Doom) eats one Hyper Viper Beam? Cable sure as hell isn't building another meter anytime soon and it won't kill MorriDoom. Actually, come to think of it, they don't even have to eat a Hyper Viper Beam. She calls Doom Missiles and just stays on the ground. If Cable does Hyper Viper, she does DP super to blow through it. If he doesn't do anything, he blocks missiles and she does Astral Vision.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Injustice, it's a good game.

Almost got a majority of killer frost game down, tomorrow I think I'll start working on hyper derp ass Hawkgirl

Her flight mode has no cooldown

DRE Fei

The last time I've seen Super Arcade that packed was for the Persona 4 launch tournament. I went 1-2 in the Injustice tournament but still had fun with my limited play time.

That frame trap Superman has is pretty strong. Everything feels strange because of the animations and the odd jumps, but I still like the ideas NRS had for this game. I like the Flash too, even though I have no clue what I'm doing yet lol.

Next mission is SEGA Cup on Saturday!

alstein

From a gameplay standpoint, I think that's a fair statement. I mean, most people who aren't SG fans still wanted the DLC fundraiser to go well.

I'd say it's the exact opposite. Skullgirls non-gameplay stuff is respected more than the gameplay.

The guy who won MLG for Skullgirls last year has never played the game again after getting that money.

Not saying it's a bad game, but the game doesn't draw well or have an online presence.

Masaki_

I'd say it's the exact opposite. Skullgirls non-gameplay stuff is respected more than the gameplay.

Nope. Unless you're talking about people outside the FGC, but that's not the point. FG players wanted to play Mike Z's game, but didn't want an all-female cast of 8 drawn by Alex Ahad. They might've downloaded the game, but no one wanted to give it a serious shot 'cause of that. People who did stuck with the game got understandably turned off by long, boring ToDs (they got those in MvC3, but at least that game doesn't look like ass LOL).

Even with all that, the game is still here, PC version and new characters are coming, so I'm happy.

The guy who won MLG for Skullgirls last year has never played the game again after getting that money.

Is that anyone from the FGC of actual significance? Otherwise, why should we care what he does?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Toddhunter =
pc3IUWu.png
17 Valle points.

Zissou =
pc3IUWu.png
15 Valle points.

Matty =
pc3IUWu.png
31 Valle points.

Panda =
pc3IUWu.png
5 Valle points.

Rar =
pc3IUWu.png
12 Valle points.

Kevo =
pc3IUWu.png
30 Valle points.

JD =
pc3IUWu.png
21 Valle points.

Famicom =
pc3IUWu.png
24 Valle points.

Kioshen =
pc3IUWu.png
16 Valle points.

Beef =
pc3IUWu.png
27 Valle points.

Dahbomb =
pc3IUWu.png
24 Valle points.

Soakrates =
pc3IUWu.png
28 Valle points.

Some of you got the more obscure ones so that's good.

Akuma made his debut in Gamefan. One of you got this. I remember this as this was also the first time I saw Gamefan and it eventually became my favorite gaming magazine of all time despite the whole Saturn version of shadows being the wrong color so it makes it the inferior version fiasco.

Akuma-GF--article_image.jpg

Many of the questions had multiple answers so it was a given.

Welch's grape soda was the thing back in the 80s.

Soul 4 Real was the group produced by Heavy D. They had a bunch of hits on the billboards. #1 hits mind you. All R&B, pop, hip hop, etc related stations played their Candy Rain and Every little thing I do songs. And their videos were constantly requested on cable channels.

Heathcliff was the badass cat that could beat up every other animal. Nobody could fuck with him. A bunch of episodes was just him trolling big dogs and beating them up. LOL. Wished he was still around.

Boomerang was the Eddie Murphy movie with Robin Givens and a young Halle Berry. I know there are a bunch of Halle Berry fans in GAF so I'm surprised some of you didn't mention her. And the hit group and song of the time was PM Dawn's I'd die without you.

Brandon Lee was an up and coming star. He was starting to come into his own despite being already famous thanks to his famous father. Before the crow he was in relatively known B action movies of the time in Showdown in Little Tokyo with Dolph Lundgren and Rapid Fire with Powers Boothe. The crow itself is the staple Goth and Emo movie. I don't know one person who was Goth and or Emo that didn't like the movie besides the fact it was a good movie regardless of who you were. He could've been something even more if he didn't die. :(

Tatyana Ali was dating Jonathan Brandis at the time and he starred in the movie Sidekicks with the all too popular Chuck Norris. Unfortunately he committed suicide. :( He was a teen heartthrob of the time and was featured in other popular movies like Neverending story and Pet Semetary.

Gamecave was the import store featured in Gamefan! Besides Buyrite and a few other stores, Gamecave was the go to importer. At the end of every issue was just a brochure for imports. I bought a ton of games and OSTs from them.

Martial Champions was the Konami fighter back in the arcades then. Yeah it made it onto the Megadrive but most deemed it crap to make it on U.S consoles.

LOL. A lot of you had the right idea but the creature that can't be hit by water or eat after midnight is a Mogwai. Gizmo is a mogwai. A gremlin is the aftermath. Mogwais can keep producing other Mogwais but eating after midnight turns them into gremlins. Gizmo was so badass too. :)

To Wong Fu, thanks for everything was a funny movie. Jonathan Leguizamo, Wesley Snipes and Patrick Swayze were funny in it.

Yeah. The minidisc is to mp3 players what betamax was to VHS. Because of the potential unlimited storage at the time, it started off being better than mp3 players. Early mp3 players only had like 128mb of storage and such but minidiscs had 700mb+ storage in each disc. Once mp3 players started getting into the GBs of storage space, it easily overtook minidisc. Minidisc was cool as hell though and I'm still trying to find a way to transfer music from the discs themselves back to a PC.

Yeah. The Gravitron is the Carnival ride that looks like a UFO. It has many names but the original name is the Gravitron.

Thanks to those who took the time to answering. I'll probably do another one without too much music related questions next time.

Zissou

toddhunter! I totally forgot about the avatar bet I made with you. Maybe we should go double or nothing on some bet whenever the next major is.

toddhunter! I totally forgot about the avatar bet I made with you. Maybe we should go double or nothing on some bet whenever the next major is.

Winners choice, I'm game.

Although I can't remember what the bet was about. Probably something anti-Chris G? I want to see the pot-splitting receipts now ;)

Zissou

Winners choice, I'm game.

Although I can't remember what the bet was about. Probably something anti-Chris G? I want to see the pot-splitting receipts now ;)

Cool. I think it was that Chris G wouldn't make top 3 in.... something. When's the next major, anyway?

alstein

Nope. Unless you're talking about people outside the FGC, but that's not the point. FG players wanted to play Mike Z's game, but didn't want an all-female cast of 8 drawn by Alex Ahad. They might've downloaded the game, but no one wanted to give it a serious shot 'cause of that. People who did stuck with the game got understandably turned off by long, boring ToDs (they got those in MvC3, but at least that game doesn't look like ass LOL).

Even with all that, the game is still here, PC version and new characters are coming, so I'm happy.

Is that anyone from the FGC of actual significance? Otherwise, why should we care what he does?

Well, he is a top KOF player. Not really known in any Capcom games. He gets good hugs from Kayo at least. ^_^

It's not the all-female cast that's a turnoff, if anything the cast is what has kept the game alive. It's just that the folks who are interested in Skullgirls- for many of them the game is just too much/ too unforgiving for them to play.

People outside of the FGC's money is just as good as FGC folks.

Horseress

A lot of crap as you would expect this early. But Justin vs Tyrant in (I think) losers final is at least worth checking out.

Thanks, I'll check the last matches then, and yes, wasn't expecting much high level play on day 2, NLBC next week should be better (or even Civil War this weekend)

Masaki_

Well, he is a top KOF player. Not really known in any Capcom games. He gets good hugs from Kayo at least. ^_^

Who was it? I don't think KOF players would fancy SG anyway.

It's true that the visuals and characters are the appeal for non-FG players and they are the people who contributed the most to the campaign. Unfortunately, we can't count on them to grow the competitive scene. Anime players who wouldn't be turned off by the style dropped the game for P4A (and even P4A seems to have been dropped in favor of waiting for BBCP).

It's not the all-female cast that's a turnoff, if anything the cast is what has kept the game alive. It's just that the folks who are interested in Skullgirls- for many of them the game is just too much/ too unforgiving for them to play.

Any multiplayer game is as unforgiving as the people you play aganst. Fighting games are incapable of keeping the interest of your average gamer for long. If they aren't interested in the intricacies of the genre, they'll drop the game eventually no matter how much they like the graphics/sound/lore.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";54411612]A damn shame.[/QUOTE]

A smart shame, why waste time on a shallow game when the superior one is coming out

alstein

Who was it? I don't think KOF players would fancy SG anyway.

It's true that the visuals and characters are the appeal for non-FG players and they are the people who contributed the most to the campaign. Unfortunately, we can't count on them to grow the competitive scene. Anime players who wouldn't be turned off by the style dropped the game for P4A (and even P4A seems to have been dropped in favor of waiting for BBCP).

Any multiplayer game is as unforgiving as the people you play aganst. Fighting games are incapable of keeping the interest of your average gamer for long. If they aren't interested in the intricacies of the genre, they'll drop the game eventually no matter how much you like the graphics/sound/lore.

Some FGs are more unforgiving than others. Tekken is much more unforgiving than say SF4, as an example.

Personally, I don't get the P4A hate. The game needed a sequel bad, but the core concepts were good. It just needed more.

The way you get new players into the competitive scene is by having some of the noncompetitive folks who buy FGs, and making them want to compete. That's what exploded the FGC after SFIV.

Without SFIV, the games I want to play wouldn't have been made/released.

As for P4A, I don't get the hate. The game needed more depth, but that could have been added in an expansion. P4A is much better than most first iterations of FGs this gen. Matchup balance was terrible though. THe last tourney I went to having to play Yukiko vs Slabrys made me tear my hair out and look to play T.Hawk against Blanka.

Personally, I don't get the P4A hate. The game needed a sequel bad, but the core concepts were good. It just needed more.

I obviously have not played the game (and fuck the LE they just announced) but P4A being a simpler game was in my opinion exactly what was needed at the time.

It was never going to be a 10 year type experience (except for PAL people waiting). If it had been too complicated, nobody would have even given it a go.

Masaki_

Some FGs are more unforgiving than others. Tekken is much more unforgiving than say SF4, as an example.

You're talking about learning curve. For two new players mashing buttons at each other, that's a non-factor. Even SF4 requires hundreds of hours of commitment before a complete newbie is remotely close to being competitive. If someone today is actually interested in entering the scene and willing to put in the time, he'll naturally look or the game with the most players.

As for P4A, I don't get the hate. The game needed more depth, but that could have been added in an expansion. P4A is much better than most first iterations of FGs this gen. Matchup balance was terrible though. THe last tourney I went to having to play Yukiko vs Slabrys made me tear my hair out and look to play T.Hawk against Blanka.

I just wish anime players went back to GG. Still ArcSys' best franchise.

Horseress

Damn, I hate myself. Every time Ryota Niitsuma tweets something, I go straight to Google translator hopping it's something new about Marvel, but he only tweets about traveling, food or Marvel not getting an update....#profoundsadness

Not saying it's a bad game, but the game doesn't draw well or have an online presence.
Both sides are respected well enough. It's just that it's a stranger situation where you've got two halves that don't completely jive. Some of the gameplay folks like myself or Disco are fine with the aesthetics or even like them. Some of the nongamers are probably a bit turned off by Mike's design choices like they would be for many other fighters.

Nothing is ever perfect(except Melee lol). If the campaign proved anything it's that both of these halves want to see more SG and they're desperate to prove it. Also, Salty Cupcakes had 17 entrants last week. The offline scene is growing, but Mike and his circle are doing to work to keep it alive. It's a slow burn.

Let's wait for Mike to implement lobbies before calling the online scene dead too. I learned from watching SFxT that it's not over until the fat lady implements version 2013.

Top Bottom