• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 15-21 | That's 102%, Welcome to DCU

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";54433821]It's not like they lost money because of bad sales, they're restructuring for the next gen.[/QUOTE]
They lost on profits because of bad sales. More than half of what they expected is not there. IPs losing strength, declining sales and canceling in development titles is more than what you expect for developers transitioning into next gen. Bigger issues underneath. Look at Ubisoft for examples on how to do that right.

That's a mighty amount of slots given to dead franchises that haven't done much for Capcom in a long ass time. That is being stupid with slots right there, ensuring you get no sales from the broad audience. Lol @ pretty much everything from Rival Schools down getting as many slots as they do except Megaman and Monster Hunter. Lost Planet and Dead Rising deserve more than ALL of those, most of which should be 1 and maybe 2 max.
Yeah, I gotta admit that you could cut Red Earth, Powerstone and Rival Schools down to two each at max. That makes space for Spencer, an LP guy and Frank. Screw saturating the game with SF or DMC though. You'd think three and four slots would be enough.

Edit: LOL I listed Rival school and PJ like that. I need my breakfast. Clearly I'm delirious. I'm surprised no one caught that.
4-SF
3-RE
3-DMC
3-Darkstalkers
3-Megaman
2-Rival Schools
2-Red Earth
2-Powerstone
2-Onimusha
2-Monster Hunter
2-Sengoku Basara
2-Breath of Fire
2-Ghosts and Goblins

*Spencer, LP guy, Frank, Amateratsu, Viewtiful Joe, Gene
Looking real sexy now. At 50 characters everyone would have to shaddup about their favorite not getting in. You could definitely do more SF, Darkstalkers and RE.

Dahbomb

No one is even asking for more than 4 slots on those games although SF is the only game that should get 5 slots. Also it's a given that every character in UMVC3 has to be in as well. That means Joe, Amaterasu, Frank, Strider, Phoenix Wright, Viper etc.

And of course fucking Asura and Gene.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";54433029]Demitri is the sort of character that only people who don't play Darkstalkers would think is a good add to a fighting game.[/QUOTE]
What if you only want Demitri added cause you want to see what they come up with for Midnight Bliss-ed characters

No one is even asking for more than 4 slots on those games although SF is the only game that should get 5 slots. Also it's a given that every character in UMVC3 has to be in as well. That means Joe, Amaterasu, Frank, Strider, Phoenix Wright, Viper etc.

And of course fucking Asura and Gene.
Two more slots left in my list for forty.

-Viper
-Phoenix Wright
-Strider
-Asura

That makes 42 characters. Fuck, that is a condensed list of good candidates once you fill it up.

Edit: Nothing is "a given" with Capcom lol.

sibarraz

Banned
Well, its official SNK and Tencent will work together with the new update of the chinese game

Terry and Benimaru will be the guests, maybe they will add more characters later

It was cool to see the producer of KOF XIII with SNKP'S President at the event, I hope that this means that we will see more games from the company

Dahbomb

By the way if Injustice is going to be played competitively in a serious fashion I think the following things will come into effect:

*Atlantis and that Hangar stage will become the unofficial default tournament stage for Injustice. Atlantis does not have stage transition plus the background is fairly clean. It's the new Bonne Wonderland.

*Injustice should be 3/5. It's not a rounds game, it's a 2 lifebar game. Right now people are not doing optimized combos but once they do characters losing 1 bar in 3 combos (maybe less with interactive objects) will be common. Plus since health and meter don't reset the game is very heavily in favor of the person who gets the early advantage. Matches aren't long at all, it's not a time issue. Not even saying that the game is "random" or has high damage but the format of the match is more conducive to 3/5 play.

What if you only want Demitri added cause you want to see what they come up with for Midnight Bliss-ed characters

Ryu with a cape and the ability to transform his opponents into women for one second is such a waste of resources. Demitri is just about the worst possible Darkstalkers choice when there are so many crazy characters.

Obviously it's a silly idea for sales reason (gotta have those big names to sell). But if I was in charge of Capcom Vs. Capcom I love to call it something like Loser's Bracket or The B-Team and drop all the big name characters, make it a celebration of some of the real back catalog. No leading men or ladies allowed.

Something like this:
Linn Kurosawa
Skullomania
Ada Wong
Necro
Cut Man
Jasmine
Charlie
Regenerator
Baby Head
Q-Bee

..and so on like that. I just have a real soft spot for the odder choices that show up in games like MvC3.

Yeah no way Red Earth, Project Justice, Rival Schools and Power Stone should get 3 fucking slots. Hell I think Onimusha getting 2 slots is too much... who the hell are you going to put in aside from Soki? Can't use Samanouske anyway because of the whole actor look a like thing and if they want to use the main villain Nobunaga they can just use the 2nd slot from Sengoku Basara.

BTW I would want that girl from Remember Me to make it in as well. She has some cool abilities, great for a VS fighter.

If there are only 2 slots for Sengoku Basara, it would be Masamune and Yukimura. And if Nitsuma is in charge he'll want that female fan base like what Vergil did for Ultimate.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Debating even competing at Toryuken 2. I'm not gonna have any time to practice beforehand and haven't played UMvC3 in a century.

Civil War are doing Team Tournaments and Exhibitions Friday.

The Exhibitions are:

Injustice
Darkstalkers
UMvC3 North vs South 10v10
Just quoting this again because I want to see Darkstalkers and some non-day 1 Injustice play. It was going to get lost in the shuffle of character discussion.
Except Ryu and Chun li representing SF with 1-2 players to be named later.
We could amend that rule a bit. Chunners and at least two Gi wearing characters are a must.

BadWolf

Well, its official SNK and Tencent will work together with the new update of the chinese game

Terry and Benimaru will be the guests, maybe they will add more characters later

It was cool to see the producer of KOF XIII with SNKP'S President at the event, I hope that this means that we will see more games from the company

Very good to hear, that fighting game is worthy of it. It looks pretty solid in match vids and is clearly heavily inspired by KOF.

SNK has so many great characters, its about time they started promoting them in some way.

Yeah no way Red Earth, Project Justice, Rival Schools and Power Stone should get 3 fucking slots. Hell I think Onimusha getting 2 slots is too much... who the hell are you going to put in aside from Soki? Can't use Samanouske anyway because of the whole actor look a like thing and if they want to use the main villain Nobunaga they can just use the 2nd slot from Sengoku Basara.

BTW I would want that girl from Remember Me to make it in as well. She has some cool abilities, great for a VS fighter.

For Onimusha I think Jubei from Dawn of Dreams(dat quicksilver) could be pretty sick. Or Gogandantess from Onimuhsa 2.

I'd say it's the exact opposite. Skullgirls non-gameplay stuff is respected more than the gameplay.

The guy who won MLG for Skullgirls last year has never played the game again after getting that money.

Not saying it's a bad game, but the game doesn't draw well or have an online presence.
You have a good point, but I find it hard to accept that people largely respect the non-gameplay stuff. The art style is one of the primary reasons people don't pick up the game.

Just finished talking with Sony. Decided to trade in my old 80GB Snake model for a 160GB slim. Can't wait to get a working PS3 again. Then I can actually fucking play the Tekken I spent $60 on.

Also, Vampire Savior and UMvC3. I've been itching to play it again, but I got no system.
You have a good point, but I find it hard to accept that people largely respect the non-gameplay stuff. The art style is one of the primary reasons people don't pick up the game.
People have been following the game for years now and a huge number of artists(contractors and such) from the LA area have put a lot of time into it. Alstein has seen the power the art holds over a lot of people first hand through the IGG campaign.

GAF is an echo chamber compared to the following on Tumblr, Devianart, Pixiv, etc. SG even came in came in second place for that 4chan GOTY awards in the animation category(goddamn Journey and got a nomination for the Annie Awards(fuckin Journey).

The art is one of the reasons people didn't pick up the game and also one of the reasons it managed to get $829k. Dat double edged sword.
I'm going to UFGT9 in a month-ish even though I just picked up a new team this week. Fail with me, Enzo. It's all in good fun.
Tickets were apparently dirt cheap a week or two ago. I think it was $150 for a flight from NYC. Damn those were good prices. Always wanted to go for Vampire. Two 50 match sets with Kajoq and MightMar would be worth the price alone.

alstein

A world where SFxTK gets played despite its horrible artstyle means that FGC folks don't care about art that much. Skullgirls art is something special, and why many folks who don't even play fighters love the game.

A few folks might not like it, but it's not Arcana Heart bad. If you say AH art turns people off, I'd agree with yuu on that one, but that's super-sexualized.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
A world where SFxTK gets played despite its horrible artstyle means that FGC folks don't care about art that much. Skullgirls art is something special, and why many folks who don't even play fighters love the game.

A few folks might not like it, but it's not Arcana Heart bad. If you say AH art turns people off, I'd agree with yuu on that one, but that's super-sexualized.
Conversely, Skullgirls art is so special that it's why many people who play fighters and those who don't play fighters won't even touch the damn thing. I don't think it's limited to "few." The box that kind of art style will put you in is agreeably smaller than many of it's competitors.

Ahad's art is polarizing/divisive. But I don't think it's any more of a draw or a repellant than say, MK9's artstyle.

And sure, if Skullgirls somehow had a Capcom logo and was tied to Street Fighter in some way I'm sure there would be a lot more people playing it.

ow, my brain

Solune

Debating even competing at Toryuken 2. I'm not gonna have any time to practice beforehand and haven't played UMvC3 in a century.
Just do it! I got blown up but whatever, support your local community and try your best.

Ummm what? SFxTK is still largely unrespected, art style definitely being a factor. I actually like it but whatever.

In a community that in the past and presently largely hammers games for being "anime". artstyle is absolutely a primary factor. In the scheme of things though, games are meant to be played. So if they are fun, things like; artstyles, janky animations, poor roster selection can be overlooked if it's entertaining.

Also AH doesn't even have panty-shots, but I wouldn't disagree about being sexualized but super is definitely hyperbole.

Ummm what? SFxTK is still largely unrespected, art style definitely being a factor. I actually like it but whatever.

In a community that in the past and presently largely hammers games for being "anime". artstyle is absolutely a primary factor. In the scheme of things though, games are meant to be played. So if they are fun, things like; artstyles, janky animations, poor roster selection can be overlooked if it's entertaining.

Also AH doesn't even have panty-shots, but I wouldn't disagree about being sexualized but super is definitely hyperbole.
Yeah I wouldn't go that far. It's just weird. The side panels(which can be turned off, guys) are definitely offputting, though.

kirblar

Conversely, Skullgirls art is so special that it's why many people who play fighters and those who don't play fighters won't even touch the damn thing. I don't think it's limited to "few." The box that kind of art style will put you in is agreeably smaller than many of it's competitors.
I didn't really become interested in the game until I saw the potential in the reveal of the 32 potentials, where suddenly it expanded beyond its limiting initial cast.

(Overtly sexualized characters in fighting games make me uncomfortable. I can't be the only one.)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I didn't really become interested in the game until I saw the potential in the reveal of the 32 potentials, where suddenly it expanded beyond its limiting initial cast.

(Overtly sexualized characters in fighting games make me uncomfortable. I can't be the only one.)
I'm with you with this entire post.

Axis

Just quoting this again because I want to see Darkstalkers and some non-day 1 Injustice play. It was going to get lost in the shuffle of character discussion.

I'm worried about it...because I don't know any EC players that are personally going to Civil War for VSav. :|

I'm worried about it...because I don't know any EC players that are personally going to Civil War for VSav. :|
The thought never worried me too much because I don't really keep up with who lives where. If we talk EC all I know of are me, Hardbread, Apollo and a decent Bulleta player whose name escapes me. Also, I don't really know where Rithli lives, but I assume it is NY?
Unless you grew up with them.

Dat Morrigan

Axis

The thought never worried me too much because I don't really keep up with who lives where. If we talk EC all I know of are me, Hardbread, Apollo and a decent Bulleta player whose name escapes me.

Unless you grew up with them.

Dat Morrigan

It was more an issue of not really knowing any VSav players who are going lol maybe Lord Knight will be there, he's decent with BBH but I can't really tell if it's gonna be quality play or if it's gonna be like 8 versions of me at FR against Floe :B

I will watch and still hope for the best and support as best I can.

Top Bottom