• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 22-28 | Game of Throws - A Song of Salt and Fire(balls)

Dahbomb

Is he considered "top tier"?
He's the Nova of the game. Easy to use and get good damage with along with having tools that let him handle numerous situations. Characters like that would get a lot of use early on. Actually I guess he is more similar to Wesker.

Although no one really knows the top tiers in the game yet. There was a big debate about Superman on OBS yesterday, Tom Brady (theory fighter maestro of the MK games) said he is top 5 free but the other players there weren't convinced.

He's the Nova of the game. Easy to use and get good damage with along with having tools that let him handle numerous situations. Characters like that would get a lot of use early on. Actually I guess he is more similar to Wesker.

Although no one really knows the top tiers in the game yet. There was a big debate about Superman on OBS yesterday, Tom Brady (theory fighter maestro of the MK games) said he is top 5 free but the other players there weren't convinced.
I wouldn't expect anyone to know what the tiers are yet - that would be ridiculous, haha. I do wonder how testers can have opinions on character tiers, though. I mean, if Superman is top 5, why didn't they recommend changes?

I think Aquaman and Batman are also in that category.

Dahbomb

I wouldn't expect anyone to know what the tiers are yet - that would be ridiculous, haha. I do wonder how testers can have opinions on character tiers, though. I mean, if Superman is top 5, why didn't they recommend changes?
Because they tested various versions of the game. In their build Sinestro and Aquaman were god tier but they got nerfed when the full game came out..... Sinestro more than Aquaman.

Anyone with a "man" at the end of their name is good in the game. Most of the heroes in the game are solid. A few of the villain characters are suspect though as to how legit they are.

Sayah

Wouldn't that be Santa Cruz?

I'll be bumming around NCR just to hang out, since I live in San Jose. I'm a little worried about this year's event though. Most of the non-Capcom games have very low turnouts as of right now. I was really looking forward to the TTT2 matches, but it currently only has 22 entrants.

There's a reason for that.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=55138412&postcount=10680

Was said in the Injustice thread, but Injustice will be 35$ at Toys R Us next week.

ooooooh. Should I buy it?

Dahbomb

I kept hearing from mad heads at Civil War that Harley Quinn has potential if someone unlocks her.
Every character has potential right now as no one is properly unlocked. People don't know about Hawkgirl, Flash, Raven and Cyborg yet.. hell not even Catwoman.

ZTS

Banned
Everyone sucked at the break though. Ryu is top tier in SF4 when everyone sucks then only 2 players (Valle and Daigo, sorry Air) across the world can win with him as the competition gets better.

To be fair Vanilla Ryu was hella top tier.

kirblar

Doing pools on just Friday instead of split Fri/Sat for important tournament games is just terrible event management. If it were a side tournament or small/older game, sure, that's fine, but TTT2 is most definitely not that.

Doing pools on just Friday instead of split Fri/Sat for important tournament games is just terrible event management. If it were a side tournament or small/older game, sure, that's fine, but TTT2 is most definitely not that.

I dunno 22 players sounds like a side game to me!
(that was a joke)

Can't really complain about getting bumped for divekick though, pretty much everyone is excited for that.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't understand the issues here outside if that it's not 3/5. The scheduling is what it is. As majors get bigger you're going to see more of this with unless you only do Top 4 for every game on Sunday, and even then still it's a logistical nightmare to run that many tournaments at once with only that much time. I'm not a fan of the three day format but I understand its there to alleviate logistic issues first and foremost, which should take precedent over other interests.

They shouldn't be pointing the finger at Divekick though (order of finals means jack shit), more like why they are running Top 16 for Capcom games on the final day instead of finals for other games and maybe top 8. But as a reason not to go its kinda ridiculous, especially considering TTT2 pools are not even in the morning/afternoon Friday but in the evening, which is much more convenient compared to those other games.

ZTS

Banned

I think everyone agrees. I know the whole Tekken players have real life stuff to deal with is played out for fun but the truth is lots of the Norcal Tekken scene is old and they are busy. Out of all the games to put on Friday, its one of the worst

ZTS

Banned
I don't understand the issues here outside if that it's not 3/5. The scheduling is what it is. As majors get bigger you're going to see more of this with unless you only do Top 4 for every game on Sunday, and even then still it's a logistical nightmare to run that many tournaments at once with only that much time. I'm not a fan of the three day format but I understand its there to alleviate logistic issues first and foremost, which should take precedent over other interests.

They shouldn't be pointing the finger at Divekick though (order of finals means jack shit), more like why they are running Top 16 for Capcom games on the final day instead of finals for other games and maybe top 8. But as a reason not to go its kinda ridiculous, especially considering TTT2 pools are not even in the morning/afternoon Friday but in the evening, which is much more convenient compared to those other games.

Not an excuse. Ncr is not bigger.than any of the other big tournaments this year and Tekken was ran Saturday fine at all of those. Ncr fucked Tekken and the community responded by not supporting, end of story

Deps

Outside of Capcom, most of the communities aren't supporting NCR. I know the MK players are also mad they're getting 0 stream time. Also NCR is smaller(entrants wise) than most of the big two day tournaments. Last I saw, NCR is still not at 500 entrants, there is no reason for NCR to be 3 days unless Smash is just that hard to run.

Dahbomb

Is it ethical for major publishers to start kick starters for less popular games? Like if Capcom decided that they didn't have enough budget for a good DS4 game without losing money on it or making a bad game so they start a DS4 kickstarter and each milestone is another character, stage, mode added to the game.

What about every other game that's running on Friday.
Let them eat cake.
Is it ethical for major publishers to start kick starters for less popular games? Like if Capcom decided that they didn't have enough budget for a good DS4 game without losing money on it or making a bad game so they start a DS4 kickstarter and each milestone is another character, stage, mode added to the game.
No

Sayah

I'm not sure how I feel about the situation since I'm not/wasn't planning on attending anyway.
But, as far as I can tell, for a lot of the Tekken players it's not worth going to a tournament that's 2/3, not a significant payout and ends saturday morning.

Why wouldn't they just go anyways and get some free money if they're in the area?

Probably b/c the payouts aren't that big (or so I hear) and they can probably make more money just working on Friday/Saturday.

You should step ur shit up instead : )

I keep getting distracted with other stuff.

I'm not following how this is an ethical issue. If they want to try it, they're welcome to.

Dahbomb

I'm not following how this is an ethical issue. If they want to try it, they're welcome to.
I mean then why wouldn't every game company try it? Like if they are planning on making a game anyway... might as well start off a kick starter program to add more content and have the fans fund it.

By ethical I mean yea they probably CAN do it but SHOULD they do it?

Busaiku

Of course the payout's not that big, nobody entered.
And why are companies gonna give out pot bonuses if people keep not entering.

And so on and so forth.

I mean then why wouldn't every game company try it? Like if they are planning on making a game anyway... might as well start off a kick starter program to add more content and have the fans fund it.
Potential backlash, and because you kickstart things when they're beginning, and big companies like to hold off showing anything or mentioning anything until it has gone through some development for proof of concept. Basically, imagine the MML3 debacle, but if Capcom also did a kickstarter for it.

By ethical I mean yea they probably CAN do it but SHOULD they do it?
Any time the word "should" comes into play, it becomes a moral question, not an ethical one.

Shouta

Of course the payout's not that big, nobody entered.
And why are companies gonna give out pot bonuses if people keep not entering.

And so on and so forth.

Pot bonus is just another incentive. Players would join if it was run properly.

Top Bottom