• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 22-28 | Game of Throws - A Song of Salt and Fire(balls)

GabbyJay

Ben's Lens Ben's Lens Ben's Lens
2 factors why I couldn't make it to NCR:

Venue (It's actually pretty hard to get to from SF proper, especially because I don't own a car)
Time (It's right around finals/graduation time so I can't commit 3 days of my life to it)

I'm sure I'm not alone.

2 factors why I couldn't make it to NCR:

Venue (It's actually pretty hard to get to from SF proper, especially because I don't own a car)
Time (It's right around finals/graduation time so I can't commit 3 days of my life to it)

I'm sure I'm not alone.

Isn't there a BART that could take you halfway there? Then again, still not proper. I'm sure a nice person from somewhere would be willing to take you the rest of the way. D:

But yeah, being a three-day event kinda sucks. I kinda wish it was a little earlier than April. The last two NCR's have been inconsistent with dates. They haven't even been in the same month! :<

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The one half decent stage in this game has a corner interactable that appears to go full screen very damn quickly with very little startup and completely changes the dynamic of the game because being in the corner gives you another offensive and defensive weapon to add to your toolset. Heaven for zoners I'm guessing. Don't really like how it controls the flow of a lot of these matches.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
The one half decent stage in this game has a corner interactable that appears to go full screen very damn quickly with very little startup and completely changes the dynamic of the game because being in the corner gives you another offensive and defensive weapon to add to your toolset. Heaven for zoners I'm guessing. Don't really like how it controls the flow of a lot of these matches.

What stage?

Dahbomb

Long distance interactables can be jumped over or dashed under and close ranged interactables can be hit out of. If a zoner corners himself like that against a good rushdown character they are not at a disadvantage.

If you are talking about Atlantis that stage has no transition so a zoner getting hit by wall bounce in the corner would eat a full combo and will stay in the corner. Also that stage has a ceiling rod that rushdown characters can use to get in.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Guessing Atlantis. All the zoners pick it.

Ehhh, it's not that great. The second space station level and the hanger stage are way way better for zoners

The stage with the big aquarium tanks on the sides. Every single match I've seen on it has had whoever gets to that interactable control the match.
Power characters can smash it and make it worthless, also you can power armor the water then dash in and fuck them. Also what dahbomb said.

The atlantis water wheel thing has a ton of start up time too

Dahbomb

People pick Atlantis because its one of the more symmetrical designs and has no stage transitions. Plus it's easy to see against the background and Aquaman gets huge buff in that stage.

Ferrio

Banned
Ehhh, it's not that great. The second space station level and the hanger stage are way way better for zoners

Power characters can smash it and make it worthless, also you can power armor the water then dash in and fuck them. Also what dahbomb said.

The atlantis water wheel thing has a ton of start up time too

Well there's no respawning throwable items, and the escape tube in the middle helps them.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Long distance interactables can be jumped over or dashed under and close ranged interactables can be hit out of. If a zoner corners himself like that against a good rushdown character they are not at a disadvantage.

If you are talking about Atlantis that stage has no transition so a zoner getting hit by wall bounce in the corner would eat a full combo and will stay in the corner. Also that stage has a ceiling rod that rushdown characters can use to get in.
You can climb on the ceiling rod?

And no, the interactable obviously isn't good for zoning, but it's an instapunish for anyone trying to get in on someone who's backed themselves into there. I'm just calling a spade a spade here as whomever, zoning or not, gets to either corner they're controlling the flow of the match because of that powerful option to shut down advances and reset the situation. I guess if it is punishable not even these top players/testers have gotten used to it yet and are getting opened up everywhere.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

And no, the interactable obviously isn't good for zoning, but it's an instapunish for anyone trying to get in on someone who's backed themselves into there. I'm just calling a spade a spade here as whomever, zoning or not, gets to either corner they're controlling the flow of the match because of that powerful option to shut down advances and reset the situation. I guess if it is punishable not even these top players/testers have gotten used to it yet and are getting opened up everywhere.
Ive been owned by nightwing for trying to use it

Well there's no respawning throwable items, and the escape tube in the middle helps them.
Most dont actually

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan

Didn't the testers only test the game for a week?

Interactables are a pretty new concept so it's not too surprising that even the testers aren't really used to them yet. I can punish just about any interactable in the game super-free with Harley's armored back 3 if I'm looking for it, but most of the time I just freeze up and don't do shit just because I'm not used to it yet.

fuck Atlantis

fuck Bonne Wonderland

fuck Final Destination

force random stage in all fighting games
image.php

Dahbomb

It's a one time thing though and it can be baited/avoided/punished. I don't see the big deal with it, its just something extra to take into consideration.

Yea you can slide on the rod, its a good way to get in with but punishable.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
fuck Atlantis

fuck Bonne Wonderland

fuck Final Destination

force random stage in all fighting games
I'm with you, though my gripe is kinda more with interactables and stage transitions in general and these are just the expected consequences that were spelled out since they were announced.

Smash has so many awesome stages that are just not competitively viable to the community for good reasons.

I fucking despise Battlefield, Final Destination and the like despite understanding why they're chosen for competitive. God Battlefield is so boring.

So no stage picking in 3D games? I guess all stages have to be same for it to be a fighting game huh.

It's the exact opposite. These players want every stage to be the same, so they favor Atlantis to try and downplay the importance of the stage pick. If you let players pick, they'll pick the ones that don't change the gameplay, so they don't have to deal with it.

You have to force them to accept new ideas like stage interaction in traditional 2D style games, or else they'll just ban/disable/avoid and keep the genre the same.

Dahbomb

Man Christopher Genius so godlike with Green Arrow. Those arrow mix ups!

Honestly Green Arrow is hardly a heavy zoner in this game. I thought he would be a hard zoner like Hawkeye but his projectiles are kinda slow and he has to load up his good arrows.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It's the exact opposite. These players want every stage to be the same, so they favor Atlantis to try and downplay the importance of the stage pick. If you let players pick, they'll pick the ones that don't change the gameplay, so they don't have to deal with it.

You have to force them to accept new ideas like stage interaction in traditional 2D style games, or else they'll just ban/disable/avoid and keep the genre the same.
Sometimes ideas are flawed and shouldn't be forced and have been likely considered and not implemented in the past for very good reasons.

To quote Jeremy Clarkson, "ambitious but rubbish."

Though NRS had the decency to implement toggles, so I respect them for that for not really *forcing* it.

Man Christopher Genius so godlike with Green Arrow. Those arrow mix ups!

Honestly Green Arrow is hardly a heavy zoner in this game. I thought he would be a hard zoner like Hawkeye but his projectiles are kinda slow and he has to load up his good arrows.

Yeah, if he plays fullscreen his stuff is pretty easy to avoid.

kirblar

I'm with you, though my gripe is kinda more with interactables and stage transitions in general and these are just the expected consequences that were spelled out since they were announced.

Smash has so many awesome stages that are just not competitively viable to the community for good reasons.

I fucking despise Battlefield, Final Destination and the like despite understanding why they're chosen for competitive. God Battlefield is so boring.
Items are awesome. The "vanilla vanilla vanilla NO RANDOMNESS" stuff really sucks. Random variables force you to adapt on the fly, and benefit neither player in the long run.

Dahbomb

Aquaman's trait is a fucking built in Hidden Missiles. Pretty much anyone who wants to play super lame will be playing Aquaman.

I don't think there needs to be a force of new stages. People will pick different stages organically, they want to have the advantage or force a disadvantage. It's too early in this game's life to say Atlantis will be the default stage players go to.

Ferrio

Banned
Items are awesome. The "vanilla vanilla vanilla NO RANDOMNESS" stuff really sucks. Random variables force you to adapt on the fly, and benefit neither player in the long run.

Random variables suck and shouldn't really be in fighting games. BUT none of the intractables are random, so it's a moot point.

Top Bottom