• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Aug 11-17 | RIP Hitokage

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Gonna give this a spin while drawing tonight.

This might be late, but when did 8wayrun start streaming on hitbox? Last year? and why?
IIRC Jaxel jumped on hitbox fairly early on in it's life, then I think he went back to twitch for a while. Now I don't know.

Another show, another no show from Capcom. Cmon son.
Does Capcom usually attend Gamescom? The lack of new announcements Dahbomb mentioned in an earlier thread is just getting that much realer.

enzo i see you in the war machine/christy mack thread lol. shit is insane. reads like a b-tier movie plot
Right down to the generous length of time given to the dude to escape before cops find him. Seagal is probably reading a script about this right now.

I swear I didn't post there cause the dude's name is War Machine. That dude is just something else, beating and knifing a woman until she has broken bones in her face? What the fuck? Sickening.

He made a bet that US players won't make top 8 at EVO in USF4.
You should have seen this coming, especially after he scoffed at the whole not paying UltraDavid thing.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Welp aqua stream over, what to do now?

Not time for the secret lewd #2DLIFE stream and don't know if I wanna play UNIEL.

Sheroking

Close call. We could've lost Aquasilk streams for good.

image.php

Sorry, couldn't help it.

fader

How sustainable you guys think the Killer Instinct model is for fighting games if other properties did the same. Lets say SF5 started with 12 characters and had seasonal releases.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
How sustainable you guys think the Killer Instinct model is for fighting games if other properties did the same. Lets say SF5 started with 12 characters and had seasonal releases.
I feel it's very sustainable. KI is keeping some pretty significant momentum, despite being so disadvantaged (on X1, shortest initial dev time ever, etc.). When you look at it, you can break it into a $20/year sub for the game, which is pretty good value even compared to $60 releases. Take this, put it into a major franchise like SF/MK/Tekken, perhaps even start with a $60 release with a greater amount of initial content and you might just have a winner.

It's pretty much the best thing we've got right now, and I think the best it can get without going full DotA model.

Sayah

Speaking of Capcom, analysis of upcoming/recently announced/released high-profile next gen games from select Japanese publishers.

Capcom
Dead Rising 3?

Namco
Tekken 7

Square Enix
Final Fantasy XV (game was announced in 2006 - almost one decade ago)
Kingdom Hearts III
Tomb Raider sequel (this just in)

Sega

By high-profile, I mean not games that have yet to prove themselves/haven't proven themselves (e.g. Rise of Incarnates, Murdered: Soul Suspect, etc).

He made a bet that US players won't make top 8 at EVO in USF4.

Ah, wellllll.....good luck, I guess. haha.

Thores

I think part of the reason the format works so well for Killer Instinct 2013 is firstly because it has been dormant for several generations so the developers essentially had to start from scratch (which made it more forgivable that they started small and then expanded), and secondly because KI's entire cast of characters isn't very big.

If a game with both a bunch of Gen 7 material that they can use as building blocks to Gen 8 and a gigantic decades-spanning cast of characters starts us out on a drip feed like that, I feel like the reaction would be far less favorable. That, and I think the community will suffer fatigue if every big fighting game starts doing that.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Speaking of Capcom, analysis of upcoming/recently announced/released high-profile next gen games from select Japanese publishers.

Capcom
Dead Rising 3?

Namco
Tekken 7

Square Enix
Final Fantasy XV (game was announced in 2006 - one decade ago)
Kingdom Hearts III
Tomb Raider sequel (this just in)

Sega

By high-profile, I mean not games that have yet to prove themselves/haven't proven themselves (e.g. Rise of Incarnates, Murdered: Soul Suspect, etc).

Ah, wellllll.....good luck, I guess. haha.
Deep Down.

Also, it's crazy, Platinum might have more announced/released next gen games right now than most of these publishers.

Sayah

Deep Down.

Also, it's crazy, Platinum might have more announced/released next gen games right now than most of these publishers.

HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS GAME!!!!!

I thought whenever people referred to Deep Down, it was the Capcom CG footage of some guy using a shield against dragon fire. A potential game that could happen. Didn't know there was gameplay too. Oh damn......it looks gooooood.

Sayah

PS4 definitely going to be must-have for me.

Bloodborne
The Order: 1886
Final Fantasy XV
Kingdom Hearts III
Deep Down

4 Action RPGs. This is like my second favorite genre after fighting games. Damn. And the eventual Tekken 7 as well. Sony doing real well.

Bloodborne
Final Fantasy XV
Kingdom Hearts III
Deep Down

4 Action RPGs. This is like my second favorite genre after fighting games. Damn. And the eventual Tekken 7 as well. Sony doing real well.

Are these PS4 exclusive?

Afrocious

Hey, you guys may be able to help me. I hope >.>

I have a Mad Catz Street Fighter x Tekken Fightstick Pro for PS3 that's been collecting dust since I got it. It's lightly used and works like a charm - I just never got gud with it on UMvC3 or P4A.

I'm on Ebay and Amazon and I see some wacky prices from 60ish to 220. A sweet spot seems to be 150, but I dunno what to go for. Anyone wiser than me about this have any suggestions?

Also, if this post seems to much like an ad or a pitch, feel free to delete this post. I'm not trying to sell it on NeoGAF - I just want input and help figuring out how to get rid of the thing and to get the most buck back.

Bloodborne
Final Fantasy XV
Kingdom Hearts III
Deep Down

Don't forget about Bloodborne!

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Really not interested in anything the ps4/xbo has so far and I'm closer to buying a wii u just because it has the same old mario shit. It's the safe choice right now for me.

Sayah

Action RPG is usually a way of saying "Bad Action Game".

Did you not play Dark Sous 1 & 2, Demon's Souls, or Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2, Valkyria Chronicles?

Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts are not, the rest are.

Are those really confirmed for XBone or WiiU?

Interesting........I though they would be exclusive to PS4 seeing as one is just a former PS3 exclusive and the other has only been appearing on Sony systems (minus the handheld titles).

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Hey, you guys may be able to help me. I hope >.>

I have a Mad Catz Street Fighter x Tekken Fightstick Pro for PS3 that's been collecting dust since I got it. It's lightly used and works like a charm - I just never got gud with it on UMvC3 or P4A.

I'm on Ebay and Amazon and I see some wacky prices from 60ish to 220. A sweet spot seems to be 150, but I dunno what to go for. Anyone wiser than me about this have any suggestions?

Also, if this post seems to much like an ad or a pitch, feel free to delete this post. I'm not trying to sell it on NeoGAF - I just want input and help figuring out how to get rid of the thing and to get the most buck back.

Don't those go for like $80 sale during random tourney weekends or is that the other madcatz pro ps3 stick? I'd say I'm interested in buying but since you want the most bang for your buck maybe you could try craigslist or I guess put it up for $100-$120

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I liked it. The fanservice annoyed a lot of people, but the crazy antics made it enjoyable to watch week after week.

Also fun references to games/anime scattered here and there.

you know if it's coming back

that ending was so abrupt and unsatisfying. I thought I had another 13 episodes coming

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Are those really confirmed for XBone or WiiU?

Interesting........I though they would be exclusive to PS4 seeing as one is just a former PS3 exclusive and the other has only been appearing on Sony systems (minus the handheld titles).
Not Wii U, but both are coming to X1.

There were rumours of FFXV going multiplatform because they needed to recoup all that wasted dev work and by the time we started hearing of KHIII I think Squeenix started showing off their multiplatform engines and stuff so it was a given.

Rhapsody

Banned
you know if it's coming back

that ending was so abrupt and unsatisfying. I thought I had another 13 episodes coming

It adapted 3 books and ended in a way to get people interested to either buy the books or BDs.

It's up to volume 6 so they have enough material. They just need to greenlight a season 2.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
A little late posting in the thread, but I had to take some time off to deal with what happened over the past week. Prior to Hitokage passing away I had already lost a friend who had committed suicide 6 days before, so hearing about what happened to Hito was just another blow to the heart that I just couldn't bear. Unlike the majority of you that met him through the FGC, I encountered him through AnimeGaf where his detailed and insightful posts (Sailor Moon episodes in particular) left me in awe. It was because of his contributions (along with MadP's) that got me interested in the mahou shoujo genre and to know that I'll never have the opportunity to tell him that hurts beyond words.

RIP Hitokage, I miss you

Did you not play Dark Sous 1 & 2, Demon's Souls, or Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2, Valkyria Chronicles?.

I've played all of them except Valkyria. Both Kingdom Hearts games were easily two of the worst video games I ever played in my life.

The Souls games are good (Demon's by far the worst) but they control & run very poorly in comparison to real Action games. If Souls games were 60 FPS, had overall tighter more responsive controls & gameplay they'd be amazing.

gutabo

Sucks man, I lost my dad too and its a motherfucker but it gets better like all over time.

Hope all is well now or getting that way bro.

Thanks, I think I'm handling the best I can, there are some bad days still. I hope you're doing good too.

Dahbomb

Souls game are 60FPS on PC.

Although I get what you are saying, just because it is 60FPS doesn't mean it is completely balanced and has its input tuned to that framerate. Same thing as DmC... just because it was 60FPS doesn't mean it had the responsiveness/tightness of an actual 60FPS DMC game.

In any case Souls games aren't what I would call full on action games just like I wouldn't really call Diablo games action games either.

Kumubou

I've played all of them except Valkyria. Both Kingdom Hearts games were easily two of the worst video games I ever played in my life.

The Souls games are good (Demon's by far the worst) but they control & run very poorly in comparison to real Action games. If Souls games were 60 FPS, had overall tighter more responsive controls & gameplay they'd be amazing.
I kind of agree with this (I have an irrational hatred for the Kingdom Hearts games, heh), but if you sped the game up and made it more responsive... it would stop being Demon's/Dark Souls. The weight of the controls means something within the context of the game, and I don't think it has bad controls for the most part (although the targeting and camera can suck eggs sometimes) -- it just wouldn't be right controlling like Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden, etc..

And Dark Souls 2 is 60fps on PC MASTER RACE. :p

The Souls games are good (Demon's by far the worst ) but they control & run very poorly in comparison to real Action games. If Souls games were 60 FPS, had overall tighter more responsive controls & gameplay they'd be amazing.

VPTAAsI.gif

are you mofos confusing control with fast-paced?

mbpm1

That was my main problem with DS. I hated how the manner in which the character was controlled. Control is really important for me in action games. a great game otherwise, I think.

petghost

Banned
valkyria chronicles is hardly an action rpg tho... its a strategy game with little real time moments. hard to even call it an srpg because you dont really level up characters you level up classes in a very general way. it sure is good though.

also valle is streaming some yatagarasu atm if you're interested

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
First Attack PR added to OP.

- - -

Action RPG is the vaguest genre in all of gaming, kind of like action adventure. Most games with action in them involve some sort of adventure in their campaign and almost always contain some traditional RPG elements, on top of you playing as a certain character (role playing).

vocab

Souls games are not action games like devil may cry. Why compare them? Have you play a from software game besides souls? Slow and methodical as fuck, and it's on purpose. It's predecessors are first person dungeon crawlers, and committing to your actions have always been a main focus.

valkyria chronicles an action rpg?

alright im done

Top Bottom