• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Aug 11-17 | RIP Hitokage

Shito

Kind of funny that it's over Tomb Raider of all things. I thought most of GAF hated the reboot?

Have we had any Bayonetta 2 quality "THEY'RE STEALING OUR GAMES" meltdowns yet?
Funny thing is I'm just discussing this matter with a friend right now. He's telling me Bayo2 was 100 pages in the first 24 hours.
Also: I actually loved the TR reboot.

Funny thing is I'm just discussing this matter with a friend right now. He's telling me Bayo2 was 100 pages in the first 24 hours.
Also: I actually loved the TR reboot.

50 PPP?

I'm not surprised TR has more activity than Bayo 2. The fanbase certainly is bigger.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Kind of funny that it's over Tomb Raider of all things. I thought most of GAF hated the reboot?

Nah, it was met with slightly more praise than disdain, or at least that would explain why people think this is a "big" pick up.

Read a bit of the thread and had to close it. Still amazing how willing people are to defend exclusivity if you put the right words in the PR as opposed to not doing so and people flipping their shit over moneyhats. I kind of marvel at how effective this stuff has been at swaying public opinion, never ceases to amaze.

smurfx

get some go again
so none of you guys had problems going on neogaf today? i'm only posting because i'm using a proxy.

edit: well looks like neogaf is working now.

Yeah that's exactly what I thought. Gaf is a silly place though.

I sorta enjoyed the game though, and I'll pick up the new one. Now I'm actually glad I own both systems.

Shito

Didn't have any problem connecting to GAF today, but are you telling me that this Tomb Raider topic could be even bigger?

petghost

Banned
edit:maybe i jumped the gun. so is levelup running yatagarasu 4.3 or is nyumedia bringing a current build of AoC out like they did at evo?

The Light

Its funny that I just finished the tomb raider reboot a few secs ago. Good alternative to uncharted. Can't believe the news about the sequel is what brought gaf down all day.

Man i'm trying to decide if I want to jump on that bbcp deal -_-

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
got annihilated this morning online, need to straighten up my act for this weekend... gotta put on a good show.

Dahbomb

Tomb Raider is a decently big franchise and it being exclusive even timed is a big deal. This is one of the biggest megatons I have seen on GAF in a long ass time.

Relatively speaking SF is about the same level as Tomb Raider and if they announced exclusive SFV there would be a massive shit storm. Same thing for DMC hell there was a massive shit storm when DMC4 went multiplatform and DMC is not even as big as either SF or TR.

It's not about quality its about brand recognition really.

Jarate

Banned
So I have suddenly become decent at T-Hawk. Im fairly new to SF4 and to T-Hawk, so can someone give me a good tutorial video for him, cause I can't seem to find one

Tomb Raider is a decently big franchise and it being exclusive even timed is a big deal. This is one of the biggest megatons I have seen on GAF in a long ass time.

Relatively speaking SF is about the same level as Tomb Raider and if they announced exclusive SFV there would be a massive shit storm. Same thing for DMC hell there was a massive shit storm when DMC4 went multiplatform and DMC is not even as big as either SF or TR.

If the next DMC was a MS exclusive, would you buy an Xbox One?

Beckx

what's wild about TR is that the 2013 game failed to meet Squeenix's (silly) sales expectations. I can't imagine a few months (or more) of exclusivity on the lesser distributed console is going to help this time around.

I think Dahbomb is right is that it's in part about brand recognition but also which console generates the exclusives.

A Street Fighter game exclusive to Xbox or Wii U would generate a megathread, though I bet not as big as TR. SF exclusive to PS4? I'm not sure, because (simply from sales numbers) there are just more people owning PS4s and megathreads spawn from outrage.

Edit 2: actually, SF exclusive on Wii U would be the megathread to consume all megathreads.

I'm sure if they announced full exclusivity for sf it would bomb with such a small base, I doubt they could alienate part of their customers like that. But then again they do have the arcade

Dahbomb

If the next DMC was a MS exclusive, would you buy an Xbox One?
What kind of question is this? I bought an Xbox 360 for DMC4 because it was cheaper to get a 360 (plus it had more games). I eventually did get a PS3 but the bulk of my DMC4 play was done on 360.

I would buy DMC5 exclusive on fucking Wii U if it came down to it.

For the record, I am perfectly fine with an Xbox One. They made many changes to the system that makes it closer to a PS4 but I already have a PS4. A few exclusives would definitely push me into buying Xbox One.... DMC5 is my kryptonite, I would buy that shit on a toaster.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
SFV being exclusive would cause a waaaay bigger shitstorm than Tomb Raider.

Then again, I only see that happening if Capcom gets bought by of of the three companies, so if that's the case it wouldn't be that bad then.

Shito

what's wild about TR is that the 2013 game failed to meet Squeenix's (silly) sales expectations. I can't imagine a few months (or more) of exclusivity on the lesser distributed console is going to help this time around.
It doesn't need to: they didn't believe it would sell enough, so they played it safe by taking money upfront. Microsoft pays quicker than the retailers.

Like a friend of mine said: "They did a kickstarter. Backers: 1."

Beckx

It doesn't need to: they didn't believe it would sell enough, so they played it safe by taking money upfront. Microsoft pays quicker than the retailers.

Like a friend of mine said: "They did a kickstarter. Backers: 1."

Yeah. Likely a combination of (a) reduce budget to rational level and (b) take some MS money upfront.

What kind of question is this? I bought an Xbox 360 for DMC4 because it was cheaper to get a 360 (plus it had more games). I eventually did get a PS3 but the bulk of my DMC4 play was done on 360.

I would buy DMC5 exclusive on fucking Wii U if it came down to it.

For the record, I am perfectly fine with an Xbox One. They made many changes to the system that makes it closer to a PS4 but I already have a PS4. A few exclusives would definitely push me into buying Xbox One.... DMC5 is my kryptonite, I would buy that shit on a toaster.

LMAO

Yeah I know you have a PS4 and it seems like a lot of folk are sticking with one system this time around.
A Wii U though? That's some dedication.

Though I am buying a Wii U almost just for Bayonetta 2. I currently have 4 Wii U games and no Wii U, haha.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
i kinda don't understand SE take on tomb raider exclusivity. I mean...I feel like this is a bad decision lol.
I feel like it's a bad decision for the franchise because the Uncharted market is not one they want to alienate.

Otherwise, it's yet another paid exclusive which is not worthy crying over, and will not end as a practice so long as it's in developer's best interests in an increasingly risky environment for making games.

It feels like it's been a long time since a good old fashioned exclusive meltdown happened. The Tomb Raider reboot was fantastic. I played the definitive edition on Xbox One. I'd be emo if I only had a PS4.

I was going to go one system only this gen originally. So I got an Xbox for Killer Instinct, which I then never really play. Then I got a PS4 because it had some exclusives I want(Uncharted, Infamous) and I figured I could use PS4 as my main platform to practice IGAU on without hooking and unhooking old consoles.

kirblar

I'm really curious about the reaction If the next Capcom fighter and the upcoming PS4/PC-only game are one and the same.

Sayah

I enjoyed the Tomb Raider reboot but the sequel is not something I would buy an xbone for. Don't know why the meltdown is happening when it's a timed exclusive. Not that big of a deal.

This isn't Bayonetta 2 or FFXIII level of shocking.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I enjoyed the Tomb Raider reboot but the sequel is not something I would buy an xbone for. Don't know why the meltdown is happening when it's a timed exclusive. Not that big of a deal.

This isn't Bayonetta 2 or FFXIII level of shocking.
Yup, I could understand the outrage slightly more if it wasn't timed. Definitely isn't anywhere near as big of a deal as those situations you mentioned.

Beckx

Out of interest, guys, is Darkstalkers worth a cheeky purchase as it's on sale?

If you like Darkstalkers or good 2D fighting game art, yes. Just turn off all the filter shit that's applied by default.

Don't buy for online, it's dead dead dead.

For PC SF4, I can't figure out how to change the keyboard inputs. When I rearrange the buttons from default it keeps saying that I haven't assigned all the buttons, but I've assigned all the ones it lists to different keys. I'm not sure how to proceed.

Not a big problem if I'm home or have my stick around, but there are situations where I'm not and I don't, and I don't want the assy keyboard layout defaults the game comes with.

Shouta

you bring out the gun

The gun doesn't work on Nemo really well, actually. His play-style makes it really difficult to go in against him recklessly. He also knows the perfect timings for stuff like Rolento's pogo even though it's a shitty move otherwise.

Anyway, that Dudley I played at the arcade was probably easily on the same level as Smug but he had a lot fewer frills. Very simple, super effective play, crispy links where necessary, and he minimized his risks amazingly well. I'd really like to see him play at Topanga more. Hell, I'd invite him overseas to. I'd just need to see his play a bit more. You don't beat Tokido and Nemo 3-4 times each in 3/5 rounds, for nothing.

Dahbomb

i kinda don't understand SE take on tomb raider exclusivity. I mean...I feel like this is a bad decision lol.
It really depends on how much Microsoft is paying them for the timed exclusivity. If the money is more than the sales lost for not releasing the PS4 version earlier than the decision would be worth it.

In the end though this decision benefits gamers the least. Just another example of companies looking out for each other rather than their fans. It would've made more sense for SE to strike a deal with Sony given that A) TR started off as a PS franchise B) TR the remake sold more on PS consoles and C) PS4 is in a much better position than XB1 market share wise.

For PC SF4, I can't figure out how to change the keyboard inputs. When I rearrange the buttons from default it keeps saying that I haven't assigned all the buttons, but I've assigned all the ones it lists to different keys. I'm not sure how to proceed.
Scroll right/left to Keyboard 2 and make sure all those keys are assigned as well.

Top Bottom