• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Aug 11-17 | RIP Hitokage

Sayah

I've played all of them except Valkyria. Both Kingdom Hearts games were easily two of the worst video games I ever played in my life.

The Souls games are good (Demon's by far the worst) but they control & run very poorly in comparison to real Action games. If Souls games were 60 FPS, had overall tighter more responsive controls & gameplay they'd be amazing.

As my avatar may suggest, I am a huge fan of Kingdom Hearts. How far did you get into KH1 before quitting? It takes some time before the game gets good. The game is boring when you're on the island or even when you get to Traverse Town.

Also, Souls games are best SP games of last gen. Don't care what you want to put up in front for comparison but nothing compares imo.

As far as Valkyria Chronicles, it's a very different type of action rpg.......or, more so, it can fall under different genres. It's a turn-based, third person-shooter, strategy action-rpg.

fader

I think part of the reason the format works so well for Killer Instinct 2013 is firstly because it has been dormant for several generations so the developers essentially had to start from scratch (which made it more forgivable that they started small and then expanded), and secondly because KI's entire cast of characters isn't very big.

If a game with both a bunch of Gen 7 material that they can use as building blocks to Gen 8 and a gigantic decades-spanning cast of characters starts us out on a drip feed like that, I feel like the reaction would be far less favorable. That, and I think the community will suffer fatigue if every big fighting game starts doing that.

alright but take itnto consideration that SF5 will be a new engine like SF2 to SF3 and SF3 to SF4. vanilla SF4 only had like 18 characters, and with Capcom's huge library of characters imagine them adding characters in multiples with with new costumes and re-balanced updates hell even UI and menu updates if they want to. It seems like a win-win, Capcom profits after sales and we get content and re-balancing.

Sayah

Souls games are not action games like devil may cry. Why compare them? Have you play a from software game besides souls? Slow and methodical as fuck, and it's on purpose. It's predecessors are first person dungeon crawlers, and committing to your actions have always been a main focus.

valkyria chronicles an action rpg?

alright im done

Why would it would be wrong to classify it as an action rpg? It has real-time gameplay. It has rifles/lances/tanks in place of swords. Or is having swords/hack-n-slash a per-requisite for something to be labeled an action rpg?

As my avatar may suggest, I am a huge fan of Kingdom Hearts. How far did you get into KH1 before quitting? It takes some time before the game gets good. The game is boring when you're on the island or even when you get to Traverse Town.

Also, Souls games are best SP games of last gen. Don't care what you want to put up in front for comparison but nothing compares imo.

As far as Valkyria Chronicles, it's a very different type of action rpg.......or, more so, it can fall under different genres. It's a turn-based, third person-shooter, strategy action-rpg.

1.) I completed both Kingdom Hearts games did the collosium bet Sephiroth in both games easy peazy. They suck.

2.) This previous gen sucked dick. My most played games are the Souls games actually. Im in the middle of DaS & DaS2 run at the moment. It doesn't mean Im immune to their flaws.

Souls games are not action games like devil may cry. Why compare them? Have you play a from software game besides souls? Slow and methodical as fuck, and it's on purpose. It's predecessors are first person dungeon crawlers, and committing to your actions have always been a main focus.

valkyria chronicles an action rpg?

alright im done
What is Monster Hunter to you? Because MH is the same kind of game as the DS series. I don't consider them to be action RPGs. Just action games.

Valkyria Chronicles is a straight up SRPG. No action there at all.

Dahbomb

Why would it would be wrong to classify it as an action rpg? It has real-time gameplay. It has rifles/lances/tanks in place of swords. Or is having swords/hack-n-slash a per-requisite for something to be labeled an action rpg?
Dark Souls is about as much of an action game as Diablo is. Sure they are RPGs that have combat engines functioning in real time but the games at action games are very limited in scope. If it weren't for the RPG elements to the games they would be mechanically very basic and mediocre games.

It's like calling DMC1 an RPG because it has a leveling and upgrade system. As an RPG DMC is fucking terrible but it's not an RPG, it's a full on action game. No one is going to call DMC an action RPG when using the terms loosely it can just as easily be called an action RPG as a Dark Souls game.

Sayah

1.) I completed both Kingdom Hearts games did the collosium bet Sephiroth in both games easy peazy. They suck.

2.) This previous gen sucked dick. My most played games are the Souls games actually. Im in the middle of DaS & DaS2 run at the moment. It doesn't mean Im immune to their flaws.

:/

KH RULEZ!

That's all. I do have to replay the KH games, though. Maybe it's just my childhood nostalgia. But I loved the boss fights, the different worlds, I even loved the gummi ship leveling up.

And I realize the Souls games have flaws but still the best from last gen despite those flaws.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
10611280_742309915826900_801295714_n.jpg

Pictured: Budget for SFV

Sayah

Dark Souls is about as much of an action game as Diablo is. Sure they are RPGs that have combat engines functioning in real time but the games at action games are very limited in scope. If it weren't for the RPG elements to the games they would be mechanically very basic and mediocre games.

It's like calling DMC1 an RPG because it has a leveling and upgrade system. As an RPG DMC is fucking terrible but it's not an RPG, it's a full on action game. No one is going to call DMC an action RPG when using the terms loosely it can just as easily be called an action RPG as a Dark Souls game.
When you're referencing "RPG elements," I'm assuming you are talking about leveling up. In that case, I would disagree. Dark Souls is not only strong because of the RPG elements. You have people doing a run of the game at Soul Level 1 (or whatever their beginning character is at) so don't tell me that.

What is Monster Hunter to you? Because MH is the same kind of game as the DS series. I don't consider them to be action RPGs. Just action games.

Valkyria Chronicles is a straight up SRPG. No action there at all.

What were you playing? lol
There is a lot of action. It's part of the reason I like the game. Without the action, Valkyria Chronicles would just be straight up Fire Emblem, which is not an action RPG.

Wikipedia also lists VC as being under a role-playing shooter sub-genre of action rpg's so I'm gonna stick with what I said.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Konami pretty much just revealed there will be a next gen Silent Hill. Something I've been waiting for. I love me some horror games. Now they need to get out a Suikoden. Capcom is a lost cause with Onimusha and the likes.

petghost

Banned
there is no action though...there are small real time moments whilst you move from place to place but then you aim and its essentially a dice roll from that point

Xevren

Konami pretty much just revealed there will be a next gen Silent Hill. Something I've been waiting for. I love me some horror games. Now they need to get out a Suikoden. Capcom is a lost cause with Onimusha and the likes.

I'm with you on Suikoden, just don't think that's going to happen :(

I would be happy with 2 showing up on psn at least.

When you're referencing "RPG elements," I'm assuming you are talking about leveling up. In that case, I would disagree. Dark Souls is not only strong because of the RPG elements. You have people doing a run of the game at Soul Level 1 (or whatever their beginning character is at) so don't tell me that.

What were you playing? lol
There is a lot of action. It's part of the reason I like the game. Without the action, Valkyria Chronicles would just be straight up Fire Emblem, which is not an action RPG.

Wikipedia also lists VC as being under a role-playing shooter sub-genre of action rpg's so I'm gonna stick with what I said.
Action, as a genre, means that real time maneuverings, attacks, and defenses are required. Valkyria Chronicles was straight up turn based combat with a great twist. If you can sit all day to position units where you want without worrying about enemy movement, it is not an action game.

Sayah

there is no action though...there are small real time moments whilst you move from place to place but then you aim and its essentially a dice roll from that point

Small real-time moments? LOL

The entire game is based on strategically placing your entire team on the battlefield. Outside of enemy phases, the entire game is real-time gameplay.

If you look at something like Fire Emblem, you are moving on tiles and have limited space to where you can take your character. In contrast, VC has a meter of sorts that runs out. You can move anywhere on the battlefield as long as the meter doesn't run out.

And aiming mean it's a dice roll from that point? WTF?!?! You have to aim at the enemy's head for maximum damage and then confirm the command to shoot. It's, of course, not like your traditional TPS but it still falls under a third person shooter category. And then, after shooting, you can still re position your character on the battlefield as long as you haven't run out of meter.

Action, as a genre, means that real time maneuverings, attacks, and defenses are required. Valkyria Chronicles was straight up turn based combat with a great twist. If you can sit all day to position units where you want without worrying about enemy movement, it is not an action game.

Were you playing the same game?

YOU HAVE to worry about enemy movement in the game. If you're positioning your character right in front of enemy units, your character is still going to get shot at even though it's not the enemy phase.

Edit: Let me just post a gameplay sample so you people can remember what this game plays like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-0RY4TTNwE

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
https://twitter.com/sherryjenix/status/499388823332065280

You guys spent too much time ranking on chrisG to notice sherryjenix's benevolance!

People are going to take her less seriously after doing those raffles and never sending out the sticks ala Marn. I still see people bring that up all the time.

I'm with you on Suikoden, just don't think that's going to happen :(

I would be happy with 2 showing up on psn at least.

It's easy to get those games. I'd rather have a full fledged moderately budgeted next-gen Suikoden. The overall story is not even close to being full realized. And I feel the same exact way for Xenosaga and Panzer Dragoon. They make these incredible games and they don't have the resources and time to actually make it as they vision it.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Somebody tell Floe to stream himself playing that interactive PI thing. Floe is the best person to watch when it comes to horror games. And judging by reactions of some people it's supposed to be super scary.

Dahbomb

What does doing a "run" have to do with anything? You don't think people do runs in RPGs as well?

Also I am not saying that Dark Souls is only strong because of the RPG elements.. I am saying that your broad definition of "action RPG" could easily be applied to DMC and a bunch of other games as well.

In the end though Souls is a good game period.. doesn't matter what label you want to put on it. I just would not compare it to a DMC game mechanically speaking.

CO_Andy

It's easy to get those games. I'd rather have a full fledged moderately budgeted next-gen Suikoden. The overall story is not even close to being full realized. And I feel the same exact way for Xenosaga and Panzer Dragoon. They make these incredible games and they don't have the resources and time to actually make it as they vision it.
Capcom, Sega, Konami focused wayyyyy too much on Western talent in the previous gen, for all their big budget titles at least.

It's as if they don't trust their own countrymen to deliver Hollywood-esque games anymore.

Sayah

What does doing a "run" have to do with anything? You don't think people do runs in RPGs as well?

Also I am not saying that Dark Souls is only strong because of the RPG elements.. I am saying that your broad definition of "action RPG" could easily be applied to DMC and a bunch of other games as well.

In the end though Souls is a good game period.. doesn't matter what label you want to put on it. I just would not compare it to a DMC game mechanically speaking.

I'm not broadening the action RPG definition.

Valkyria Chronicles is an RPG (in the traditional sense of how what we consider to be RPGs) but it also has action elements in it. FFXIII or Pokemon Yellow, for instance, are not action RPGs. These games allow you to roam freely in the environment but the actual gameplay system is turn-based and only works through inputs and commands. Valkyria Chronicles is also turn-based but it features real-time gameplay.

What makes Kingdom Hearts an action RPG? You are attacking with your keyblade and the enemy is also attacking back and reacting to your attacks. There is action. Similar things are happening in VC. As you move in the battlefield, you have enemies reacting to your movements and, of course, you are aiming and shooting and not just selecting from a list of commands.

I'm not broadening it enough for DMC to be applied here.

The gun doesn't work on Nemo really well, actually. His play-style makes it really difficult to go in against him recklessly. He also knows the perfect timings for stuff like Rolento's pogo even though it's a shitty move otherwise.

Anyway, that Dudley I played at the arcade was probably easily on the same level as Smug but he had a lot fewer frills. Very simple, super effective play, crispy links where necessary, and he minimized his risks amazingly well. I'd really like to see him play at Topanga more. Hell, I'd invite him overseas to. I'd just need to see his play a bit more. You don't beat Tokido and Nemo 3-4 times each in 3/5 rounds, for nothing.

is nemo switching to rolento if he plays sf4 seriously or he just messing around with him.

Also I realized while talking to some ppl at fight night tonight, I don't want to buy a ps4 stick for xrd. That shit gonna be 200 dollars extra

Rhapsody

Banned
Fun FG card generator if you want to make one http://ftggene.whitesnow.jp/namecard/ftg_generator.php

Translation for anyone that wants to make it but doesn't know how to read it all

Name
Home Area
Comment1
Comment2
Icon image
Card background image

Drop down box are the games for your mains. The order is: SF4, BB, GG, P4U, UNI, Dengeki Bunko, Chaos Code, Vampire Series, Melty, Arcana

The box to the right is where you put the number corresponding to your main. There's a link showing which characters have what number. Also if you don't put an icon or card background image, you'll get an error.

Shouta

is nemo switching to rolento if he plays sf4 seriously or he just messing around with him.

Also I realized while talking to some ppl at fight night tonight, I don't want to buy a ps4 stick for xrd. That shit gonna be 200 dollars extra

He's a Rolento main.

Shouta

And I don't know how he does it. I'm trying but I don't have that magic. lol

His style is really unique with him and that's probably because of his own personal tastes. He can get some serious damage with Rolento where most people have trouble with it. He knows all of the mostly safe setups as well. Only person that has made Air pogo not look like total shit.

OceanBlue

His style is really unique with him and that's probably because of his own personal tastes. He can get some serious damage with Rolento where most people have trouble with it. He knows all of the mostly safe setups as well. Only person that has made Air pogo not look like total shit.

This clears things up for me. I haven't really been watching or playing much Ultra, so I've only ever seen Nemo's Rolento and I couldn't understand why everyone said it was useless lol.

Rhapsody

Banned
I've been trying to do some of the stuff Nemo does, but it's hard to do it online. Especially since you need to have a lot of people respect your options. Stuff like air pogo or doing overhead after a reset takes means training them to be scared which I'm definitely not at that level.

Also wish he never got those console nerfs lol. Arcade Rolento sounds so much better.

If you like Darkstalkers or good 2D fighting game art, yes. Just turn off all the filter shit that's applied by default.

Don't buy for online, it's dead dead dead.

At least 3SOE runs faster with some filters on, IIRC. Ironically not having them slows it down so it's super close to arcade speed.

Also, yes. The game is really fun. You get to antiair people with ribs. :D

kirblar

I've been trying to do some of the stuff Nemo does, but it's hard to do it online. Especially since you need to have a lot of people respect your options. Stuff like air pogo or doing overhead after a reset takes means training them to be scared which I'm definitely not at that level.

Also wish he never got those console nerfs lol. Arcade Rolento sounds so much better.
By better you mean busted :p

kirblar

I prefer the terms, competitive and much more viable.

Seriously, I want a good reversal, safer rolls, and more active frames again. lol
The reversal was their screwup by giving him EX Rekka->U1. You could have it be the lead-in to the Ultra, or a reversal, but not both, and it definitely would have been better off as the GTFO move, imo.

Rhapsody

Banned
I agree that Rolento had too many reversal options. He had EX Patriot, EX Delta Air Raid, and EX Delta Escape.

I didn't like that he had so many when I was playing the early build they had at Super Arcade.
Now that he got changed on console, I would've sacrificed EX Patriot into Ultra (and remove the other reversals) or also keep EX Delta Air Raid's invul.

Astarte

Fun FG card generator if you want to make one http://ftggene.whitesnow.jp/namecard/ftg_generator.php

Translation for anyone that wants to make it but doesn't know how to read it all

Name
Home Area
Comment1
Comment2
Icon image
Card background image

Drop down box are the games for your mains. The order is: SF4, BB, GG, P4U, UNI, Dengeki Bunko, Chaos Code, Vampire Series, Melty, Arcana

The box to the right is where you put the number corresponding to your main. There's a link showing which characters have what number. Also if you don't put an icon or card background image, you'll get an error.

This is totally rad!

Can we please have a Fgc major soon?

I need dat action

I guess Summer Jam would be the next US major. I completely forgot all about it, but I haven't seen anybody mentioning it. TFC will be a big one in October since that's a Capcom Pro Tour premiere event and I plan on attending it. Which would be my first tournament since last years TFC.

Top Bottom