• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Aug 11-17 | RIP Hitokage

Fun FG card generator if you want to make one http://ftggene.whitesnow.jp/namecard/ftg_generator.php

Translation for anyone that wants to make it but doesn't know how to read it all

Name
Home Area
Comment1
Comment2
Icon image
Card background image

Drop down box are the games for your mains. The order is: SF4, BB, GG, P4U, UNI, Dengeki Bunko, Chaos Code, Vampire Series, Melty, Arcana

The box to the right is where you put the number corresponding to your main. There's a link showing which characters have what number. Also if you don't put an icon or card background image, you'll get an error.

Lacks KOF ;_;

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Bu56823IAAEBolH.png

Fucking christ this thing looks bad

Rhapsody

Banned
Watched some more Japanese vids of UNIEL before heading off to bed.

Their neutral game is on quite another level.

I know we barely got it, but it's pretty huge.

Anne

Watched some more Japanese vids of UNIEL before heading off to bed.

Their neutral game is on quite another level.

I know we barely got it, but it's pretty huge.

Tbh there are a few NA players playing with that respect and mentality. Just very few, and you don't see them, especially online. We're obviously not as good yet because experience, but that type of play is happening at the very least. It's pretty much impossible to play this game like that unless you're constantly playing offline. Netplay for this game is really terrible for learning any of that, you can get away with an ungodly amount of disrespect.

Well its part of the hunting genre. It's a mish mash of action, mmo, hack and slash.
Hunting genre?

Small real-time moments? LOL

The entire game is based on strategically placing your entire team on the battlefield. Outside of enemy phases, the entire game is real-time gameplay.

If you look at something like Fire Emblem, you are moving on tiles and have limited space to where you can take your character. In contrast, VC has a meter of sorts that runs out. You can move anywhere on the battlefield as long as the meter doesn't run out.

And aiming mean it's a dice roll from that point? WTF?!?! You have to aim at the enemy's head for maximum damage and then confirm the command to shoot. It's, of course, not like your traditional TPS but it still falls under a third person shooter category. And then, after shooting, you can still re position your character on the battlefield as long as you haven't run out of meter.

Were you playing the same game?

YOU HAVE to worry about enemy movement in the game. If you're positioning your character right in front of enemy units, your character is still going to get shot at even though it's not the enemy phase.

Edit: Let me just post a gameplay sample so you people can remember what this game plays like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-0RY4TTNwE
No necessary real time considerations.

.la1n

looks like shit.

fucking deviant art level cover retrace w/ the pen tool.

looks like absolute fucking shit.

Agree on all points. Who at Nintendo thought this looked good enough to put out into the world, and as a companion to their biggest holiday title?

I guess Summer Jam would be the next US major. I completely forgot all about it, but I haven't seen anybody mentioning it. TFC will be a big one in October since that's a Capcom Pro Tour premiere event and I plan on attending it. Which would be my first tournament since last years TFC.

Team Ninja ahead of the game.

The only reason I've remembered Summer Jam is because the ticker on DOA's main menu has been advertising it.

Dahbomb

I'm not broadening the action RPG definition.

Valkyria Chronicles is an RPG (in the traditional sense of how what we consider to be RPGs) but it also has action elements in it. FFXIII or Pokemon Yellow, for instance, are not action RPGs. These games allow you to roam freely in the environment but the actual gameplay system is turn-based and only works through inputs and commands. Valkyria Chronicles is also turn-based but it features real-time gameplay.

What makes Kingdom Hearts an action RPG? You are attacking with your keyblade and the enemy is also attacking back and reacting to your attacks. There is action. Similar things are happening in VC. As you move in the battlefield, you have enemies reacting to your movements and, of course, you are aiming and shooting and not just selecting from a list of commands.

I'm not broadening it enough for DMC to be applied here.

You explained how Kingdom Hearts is an action RPG (I haven't played Valkyrie so I can't comment on it) but you didn't explain how DMC ISN'T an action RPG.

Kimosabae

Banned
Labels are arbitrary, guys. You know better. This is no different than someone trying to demarcate some tangible line between Smash being a fighting game or some kind of non-fighting game. That line doesn't exist.

DMC prided itself on being an action game, first and foremost that uses RPG elements to substantiate its action elements. KH is considered an action RPG because its RPG elements are larger and more focused in scope. It's an RPG, first and foremost, that deviates from the traditional turn-based approach using action game elements.

You could call them both 'Action RPGs' is you wanted to, but the distinctions come from what each franchise chooses to emphasize and market.

Malice215

I mentioned Summer Jam a couple of times but I guess no one else from here is going to talk about it. I'm sure there will be more talk the week before, but if someone is in need a fix, then make sure you go to one of these majors and be a part of the hype since you're going to miss out on so much just watching from home.

There's plenty of tournaments and events coming up with First Attack this weekend that Spooky is streaming, Shadowloo Showdown in 2 weeks, WCW, CPT Asia, TFC, Canada Cup, TGS, etc., so that dry period after EVO is almost over.

Beckx

One month til Smash 3DS (Japan)!

Deep Down.

Also, it's crazy, Platinum might have more announced/released next gen games right now than most of these publishers.

Well, Platinum nowadays is almost guaranteed to sell more in the West than in Japan, so it makes sense. Namco on the other hand still sees strong sales in Japan and arcade so it's somewhat understandable they are hedging their bets. Konami is all-in with next-gen (cross-gen titles though) but then again modern Konami is just Kojima and the soccer guys.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
The definition of RPG is so broad you can include practically anything that has XP...and even then, some games that don't.

Labels are arbitrary, guys. You know better. This is no different than someone trying to demarcate some tangible line between Smash being a fighting game or some kind of non-fighting game. That line doesn't exist.

DMC prided itself on being an action game, first and foremost that uses RPG elements to substantiate its action elements. KH is considered an action RPG because its RPG elements are larger and more focused in scope. It's an RPG, first and foremost, that deviates from the traditional turn-based approach using action game elements.

You could call them both 'Action RPGs' is you wanted to, but the distinctions come from what each franchise chooses to emphasize and market.

You explained how Kingdom Hearts is an action RPG (I haven't played Valkyrie so I can't comment on it) but you didn't explain how DMC ISN'T an action RPG.

This is how character action game got started

Don't go down this road. It leads to making up genre titles that no one really understands the definition of

JeTmAn81

The market has changed.

The DS printed money.

The 3DS is tracking like the PSP, IIRC.

Is this what it's come to? The 50+ million seller PSP is a benchmark for failure? Hmm. Anyway, I feel a modicum of perverse pleasure from being the only one who likes that design.

Also, no way Smash 4 isn't at EVO next year. Melee might be there as well, but the new game is going to get priority the first year. Same thing happened with Brawl.

Anyone expect Smash 4 @ Evo 2015?

I could see both Smash 4 and Melee, honestly. Smash 4 will be the big new game, and even Brawl had a year at Evo. And people are saying Smash 4 > Brawl so far, so I can kind of see it. That and now that Gamecube controllers will be sold again, it'll be easy to get a controller, and it'll be a new game. At the least, we'll probably see it at Apex and other Smash majors, and maybe a side tournament at Evo if not a main stage type of thing.

Top Bottom