• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Aug 18-24 | Fall back, u nerd

kirblar

I don't think Kirblar has played Tekken since 3 and even back then it would be extremely casual Tekken play (like mash kicks with Eddie with the buddies to get some cheesy wins).
Ya. T3 was awesome But hey, I played Lei.

Played/Watched SFxT, have watched TTT2, it's the same underlying issues. I genuinely think that the Tekken Tag system just does a lot of harm to the game without providing enough upside to make up for it.

colinp

Banned
I want to contribute.

Smash is dumb because lol two buttons
Anime games make no sense
Who even plays Virtua Fighter?
UNiEL's name is too stupid for it to be played
Scorpion's Injustice teleports are unfair

Shit, you guys are SO much better than me at this game.

Thanks for saving the thread! Lord knows the overlords didn't do jack.

Dahbomb

Ya. T3 was awesome But hey, I played Lei.

Played/Watched SFxT, have watched TTT2, it's the same underlying issues. I genuinely think that the Tekken Tag system just does a lot of harm to the game without providing enough upside to make up for it.
I don't think your qualms against TTT2 will be resolved by removing the Tag system. It's a similar thing as TTT1, combo damage was high and you only had 1 life bar so a lot of the neutral was very defensive in nature.

In fact that's just how Tekken is played in general. It's not very spectator friendly by your definition of what spectator friendly is. So it's not really a TTT2 issue... it's a Tekken issue that you are expressing.

Like if TTT2 was a 2v2 but the life bars were two whole bars that you had to deplete and the game was 2/3 rounds, 2/3 matches... you would still have an issue with the playstyle.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
He can't even beat his own stick.
iON1Ihr1Iz5Af.gif

Azure J

Y'all went HAM the last few pages. Gotta keep my eyes closed lest all the salt get in 'em.

Did anyone catch anything regarding Project M 3.5 demonstrations on the Low Tier City 2 stream this weekend?

Kumubou

I think anyone that wants to be good at fighting games should go plays all the Ys games on Nightmare :lol
That would turn everyone into anime players -- they would never block anything, have no sense of spacing (since they're either avoiding shit or in someone's face), and they would just spend 90% of the time mashing.

Azure J

That would turn everyone into anime players -- they would never block anything, have no sense of spacing (since they're either avoiding shit or in someone's face), and they would just spend 90% of the time mashing.

But I thought the first commandment of anime was "Block the overhead"

Kimosabae

Banned
Goddamn, even watching conversation about Tekken bores me.

images

Thanks for the info sixteen-bit. Guess I'm gonna have to wait for a day off to really sit down and tinker with that.

if people want to try ys, do the steam Oath and Felgana.

From my understanding, the vita version (celceta) and 7 are a lot easier. I did both the ys on steam and my god that shit is a decent challenge on normal.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
If this isn't a joke post, I will seriously consider this. Need to work on reflexes and dexterity specifically.

100%

Serious

if people want to try ys, do the steam Oath and Felgana.

From my understanding, the vita version (celceta) and 7 are a lot easier. I did both the ys on steam and my god that shit is a decent challenge on normal.
I wouldn't say any of the games are easy on Nightmare, Celceta and 7 have some stuff that can be abused to make some stuff easier but the games pretty much expect you to abuse them at that difficulty as you are dead in a few mistakes
People call Dark Souls hard lol
Dark Souls is pretty damn easy once you know how you are supposed to play it. Though some of the shitty hitboxes in DS2 made non shield builds a bit tough on some fights

Sayah

100%

Serious

I wouldn't say any of the games are easy on Nightmare, Celceta and 7 have some stuff that can be abused to make some stuff easier but the games pretty much expect you to abuse them at that difficulty as you are dead in a few mistakes

Dark Souls is pretty damn easy once you know how you are supposed to play it. Though some of the shitty hitboxes in DS2 made non shield builds a bit tough on some fights

Oh damn, that looks good. I checked my steam and I have YS Origin and YS Oath in Felghana in my library. Must have bought it during some steam sale. Should Oath be played first or Origin. Or is there another game in this series that should be played first?

100%

Serious

i hate watching videos like these. they make games look easy. :<

casperOne

Ono hints that next SF will hit PS4, X1, probably not Wii U.

This isn't a hint as much as it's an extrapolation for the sake of sensationalism/attention.

Every franchise is developing the next title in the series for XBox One/PS4 first. Ono is just stating the obvious in typical fashion.

Mr. X

This is like the first time I checked one of these threads more than twice a week. Does it usually have people arguing this in depth about games they very clearly barely spent time with?

Just say you prefer the way teammates operate and effect matches in MvC3 than in Tekken Tag and be done with it instead of trying to talk stratagem when you don't know the game.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
You can skip 1 and 2 if you want, but they provide their own unique challenge, the combat is A LOT more simple though.

The way I look at it the Ys series teaches you things as it progresses.

Ys 1 teaches you ground movement and avoiding shit

Ys 2 teaches you how to use Magic

Ys Oath teaches you avoiding things in a 3d environment and Manual attacking

Ys Orgin is an extension of what is taught in Oath but now there are multiple characters with different play styles

Ys Seven removes 3d movement for dodges and parrying and now introduces party mechanics

Ys Celceta Limits the functions of your parry and powers up your dodge a bit making you alter between the two more often for which situation fits better still has party mechanics

With what you have on hand I'd say start with Oath then go to Orgin

Dahbomb

I think the hardest part for me in DS was always figuring out where the fuck to go the first time. Second time around the game was pretty easy because I knew where to go.

Combat wise I had problems on just two bosses... Capra demon and S&O.

Capra demon I had problems with because I was really new to the game and had no idea about the mechanics. I didn't know that heavy armor meant you actually moved slower. I also didn't know that putting points in Endurance gave you more Stamina which also allowed you to block stronger attacks. I had so many deaths against that boss because I could not maneuver/block his opening attack during the spawn (I was doing a fat ass roll so he would always hit me and my Endurance was low so whatever he hit me with just one shotted me).

S&O I didn't have that much problem overall but first few times I tried to kill them simultaneously because I had trained myself to do that in DMC3 because of A&R. It took me many times to realize that I was not supposed to do that in this game and when I figured out my optimal order I was able to beat them (I mostly did it because I figured out a blind spot in Big Ornstein).

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I just want a real Ys fighting game... not that crap that came out on psp which was basically a gimp powerstone style version of Ys Seven

Riposte

There's only one way to play a Souls game, outside PvP or fucking around: no range, no magic, no shield, no co-op, just a weapon in your hand.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This isn't a hint as much as it's an extrapolation for the sake of sensationalism/attention.

Every franchise is developing the next title in the series for XBox One/PS4 first. Ono is just stating the obvious in typical fashion.
Gives a bit of credence that it won't be cross-gen though, but yeah, I agree with you.

Top Bottom