• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Aug 4-10 | IT DOES NOT FOLLOW ANY REASON

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Man, Goro still rocking it. Wonder how far his team will get

While Makoto got fucked over on the damage end of things and easy set up option she's still mostly the same character.

Between him and Dio who is awesome as fuck with Carl they should go far unless they run into killers early.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I had mini tacos. OMG so good.

And woah. That's so cool.

BJZZq2h.jpg

DunpealD

My one major problem with movement in Rise of Incarnates is that using boost seems like such a needless commitment most of the time. Once you start using it, you have to burn through the entire meter with no way of exiting it early, which is wack.

You can just return the movement stick to neutral and you'll drop if that's what you mean.

Yes, but admittedly it does feel kinda counter-intuitive to just return to neutral and drop. In alpha, unlike EXVS, the boost bar doesn't affect the landing recovery period. Not sure about the Beta.

Still really bummed about Hito this morning. =/

At any rate getting breakfast, picking my rail pass and then probably hitting up akiba for gaming stuff and gundam. Going with neno tomorrow for topanga. Meeting him, abegen, and tokido for dinner on Tuesday too.

This might be a selfish thing to adk but could you ask them why they never play 3D fighting games? I always wondered this.

Zissou

I've just always assumed there isn't much overlap in the player-base between 2D and 3D fighters because competence in one doesn't really give you a leg up in the other, or something like that.

alstein

That is a shame to hear about Ultra on PC. I'll wait and see if Capcom can fix it. I'll stick with ps3 until then. I haven't had too many issues online except the occasional "waiting for player" pop up mid match.

PS3 is so much worse than PC. The big issue with the PC version is mics- you run your mic you ruin it online.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Hitokage was nominated multiple times to do a Spotlight when everyone was able to vote but it never happened as far as I can tell :(

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
How about people submit answers/memories of Hitokage for it?
Have been thinking about this, or picking from anecdotes people have posted here already after hearing the news.

If people have any cool memories of fighting games with Hitokage, by all means post them here or PM them to me, and I'll throw whatever I can into next week's OP.

Dahbomb

Tokido has a 5th place in VF5 and a top 8 in Tekken 6 as well as various foreign tournament placings in Soul Calibur. He definitely has played 3D fighters well before in the past but recently it seems like he has been trying to focus his play on just KOF and SF4.

petghost

Banned
Tokido has a 5th place in VF5 and a top 8 in Tekken 6 as well as various foreign tournament placings in Soul Calibur. He definitely has played 3D fighters well before in the past but recently it seems like he has been trying to focus his play on just KOF and SF4.

whenever i hear that tokido played a game i like to play the "what cheap ass character did tokido pick" game. im guessing jacky for vf5fs and viola at the beginning of sc5.

Dahbomb

whenever i hear that tokido played a game i like to play the "what cheap ass character did tokido pick" game. im guessing jacky for vf5fs and viola at the beginning of sc5.
It's the most shocking to me that Tokido never played Vergil in UMVC3 as his primary character. Before the game even came out he declared him the cheapest and gave Vergil his seal of approval. He does have a pocket Vergil team (team Norcal) but he rarely if ever uses it. I guess he sees team Nemo super cheap in his own way.

Random question I've wanted to ask: what major (or minor if there's a better example) tournament has had the least variety in it's top 8? Like has there been a 3S tourney with just Ken/Chun in top 8?

Sayad

This might be a selfish thing to adk but could you ask them why they never play 3D fighting games? I always wondered this.
Tokido used to play Tekken. Didn't play TTT2 much but he did made top 8(might be top 3) at EVO in T6. He also played SC5.

Edit: too late.

Have been thinking about this, or picking from anecdotes people have posted here already after hearing the news.

If people have any cool memories of fighting games with Hitokage, by all means post them here or PM them to me, and I'll throw whatever I can into next week's OP.

I already posted some experiences I had with him but I wanted to add a little more and just word it differently I guess. So I will be repeating a lot of stuff from the other post.

The first time we played each other was on the PC version of Vanilla SF4. We played a lot during that time because I think we were either the only two to have the game on PC or two of the few that did. He asked me several times to attend the local tournament. I told him was a bit intimidated, I guess reading stories about the old arcade days of people talking a lot of shit and getting into fights made me think that tournaments might be like that. But he told me it was nothing like that and that people are friendly and it would be a fun experience. So I finally went, I met him and had a pretty good time. I actually have a video from that tournament on my youtube page. He's not in it and it's not about him but he was actually sitting beside me as I recorded some guy claiming to discover this Ken 1f link into Ultra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3usFzTAI6Ec&list=UU97Qz1CtZqAw0H8D-7HuHCQ

Over the years I would run into him whenever we both attended tournaments. I didn't get to know him that well since we lived an hour apart and I have a full time job so we couldn't get together for stuff like house casuals. To this day I've only participated in one team tournament, and my teammate in this 2v2 was none other than Hitokage. Unfortunately it was single elim and we lost our first match. Another funny story is that one time when we were both at a tournament he was really trying to get me to learn Arcana Hearts. I was hesitant and felt uncomfortable. After about 5 or so minutes, I wanted off and I guess he was a bit disappointed. Sometime later in a Sailor Moon thread, he blew me up about it on GAF. These are our post and responses to each other

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39599890&postcount=249
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39603599&postcount=264
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39619244&postcount=278
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39619484&postcount=280

I haven't been to the local tournament in a long time and I was hoping to run into him again. Unfortunately that will never happen. I'm glad he at least got to see the Hawks win the Super Bowl before he passed, RIP Brett

Shouta

Tokido plays a lot of games but yeah, he's been focusing on KOF and SF4 recently. Probably because playing those two polish the same skill set for the most part where as doing Tekken and SF is pretty rough.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else on GAF yet: Arcana Heart 3 Love MAX!! Has been given an NA release date of September 23rd.

7 days before Ultimax comes out. Why would they do this

Ultimax is Atlus. Has nothing to do with Aksys, who has to watch out for their Xrd and UNIEL releases.

Arc and Atlus coordinated on release spacing in Japan, but Atlus and Aksys are under no obligation to coordinate with each other

Thores

Ultimax is Atlus. Has nothing to do with Aksys, who has to watch out for their Xrd and UNIEL releases.

Arc and Atlus coordinated on release spacing in Japan, but Atlus and Aksys are under no obligation to coordinate with each other

I'm aware that the publishers are different. You'd just think that someone at Aksys would see Ultimax's release date and be at least a little aware that releasing a less popular anime fighting game within a week of that title would maybe hurt sales?

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

jacky has actually moved down on recent tier lists because his options against guarding opponents are kind of bad.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I'm aware that the publishers are different. You'd just think that someone at Aksys would see Ultimax's release date and be at least a little aware that releasing a less popular anime fighting game within a week of that title would maybe hurt sales?

What other choice they have? They have Fighting Game releases spaced out until Q1 next year. This was always LoveMAX's planned release window.

There's really nothing they can do to save the game. Either they release it in September as planned, push it back until after UNIEL or compete with one of their own releases.

Their choice makes the most sense out of those options. Game is gonna get buried regardless. Better to compete with another company's product over your own, or push the game back almost a year after the japanese release.

I'm just happy they're even bringing it over here at all. and personally I'm buying the game over Ultimax

Thores

What other choice they have? They have Fighting Game releases spaced out until Q1 next year. This was always LoveMAX's planned release window.

There's really nothing they can do to save the game. Either they release it in September as planned, push it back until after UNIEL or compete with one of their own releases.

Their choice makes the most sense out of those options. Game is gonna get buried regardless. Better to compete with another company's product over your own, or push the game back almost a year after the japanese release.

I'm just happy they're even bringing it over here at all. and personally I'm buying the game over Ultimax

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm pleasantly surprised it's being localized period, and I'm going to try to get both. Just... ugh, my wallet that month.

Kumubou

jacky has actually moved down on recent tier lists because his options against guarding opponents are kind of bad.
Are you using that tier list from Arcadia? I hope not. Actually, my problem with it isn't really the character ordering, but the way it's formatted. They made half the case look DeeJay tier, which... well... yeah. I guess it's not so bad if you remember that the tiering between games is not relative at all. I guess I just pop off about that because their tiering was really bad for a couple of games (their Aquapazza list nearly made me punch out a plate glass window... OK not really, but it was atrocious).

What do you want them to do, release it a week or two after Ultimax comes out? Any later and you start getting into the dead zone that is the yearly CoD/AC release, and if you push it out beyond that you start running the game against Xrd. Frankly, AH3:LM is such a niche game even among dedicated fighting game players I kind of doubt it matters when you release it. Maybe they want to get more of that money up-front.

Infinite

I'm definitely playing Arcana Heart over Persona. Not sure there's much overlap between those communities for it to matter bringing them out around the same time and the ah3 community is pretty dedicated. although persona has a larger base.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Are you using that tier list from Arcadia? I hope not. Actually, my problem with it isn't really the character ordering, but the way it's formatted. They made half the case look DeeJay tier, which... well... yeah. I guess it's not so bad if you remember that the tiering between games is not relative at all. I guess I just pop off about that because their tiering was really bad for a couple of games (their Aquapazza list nearly made me punch out a plate glass window... OK not really, but it was atrocious).

The Arcadia listing, yeah. Most tier lists get the bookends right - Akira is, by far, the best character in the game, and Jeffry is the worst character in the game. Still, in a game like VF, tiers don't mean all that much because the ceiling is soooo high. A Jeffry player can steamroll an Akira player and it won't turn heads. Match-up specific stuff, like Shun's "get out of jail free" card against Kokei, is pretty rare. That's Street Fighter stuff.

For Jacky, his throws are just not very good. He's still considered high tier though, because his damage output is through the roof. Probably the highest in the game. But when I play against Jacky, blocking is so easy.** It's not like fighting against Taka-Arashi, whose throws are the best in the game.

Anyway, there's some VF going on in Prague today. Starts in about 2.5 hours I think.
http://live.czecharcade.com/

**pls don't link that SCR vid -______-

Kumubou

I'm definitely playing Arcana Heart over Persona. Not sure there's much overlap between those communities for it to matter bringing them out around the same time and the ah3 community is pretty dedicated. although persona has a larger base.
It feels like there isn't that much hype for P4AU among competitive players (although this may be because of a self-selection bias, in part or in full). However, even with that I don't think AH3:LM has much of a chance gaining much growth outside of its dedicated playerbase between Xrd coming out soon and UNIEL getting way more attention than anyone expected.

Top Bottom