• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Aug 4-10 | IT DOES NOT FOLLOW ANY REASON

alstein

I would typically think most low-tier characters are not fun to play because one of the biggest reasons they're low tier is because they don't have many options, which just sucks to play with.

To be fair, this happens with nearly any community. You can find videos of plenty of dumb people in any crowd on camera... it's just that they're usually not holding hugpillows.

Locally I think the hugpillows are supposed to be irony. Most of our Arcana players are oldheads to the point where it's not waifus but daughteros.

the list of reasons is quite long but anime, idol culture, and a high degree of vegetarian men definitely populate the list

I was under the impression that it had more to do with cultural expectations for women with careers, and it's why fewer women are choosing to have children.

K.Sabot

bigger issue being the work culture Japan and most other "developed" modern nations being very much a deterrent to having a child.

I swear the only thing keeping the US from backsliding into japan's birth rate catastrophe is our penchant for Christianity.

kirblar

bigger issue being the work culture Japan and most other "developed" modern nations being very much a deterrent to having a child.

I swear the only thing keeping the US from backsliding into japan's birth rate catastrophe is our penchant for Christianity.
It's immigration.

declining birth rates coinciding with increased levels of education are a good thing in most cases, it's just currently shitty for wealthy and long-lived populations like Japan because there's such a ridiculous number of old people to take care of, and a smaller proportion of working age people to provide for them. If this trend continues and once the old folk are gone then it'll probably be a net positive.

kirblar

declining birth rates coinciding with increased levels of education are a good thing in most cases, it's just currently shitty for wealthy and long-lived populations like Japan because there's such a ridiculous number of old people to take care of, and a smaller proportion of working age people to provide for them. If this trend continues and once the old folk are gone then it'll probably be a net positive.
The trick is that you allow immigration to make up the gap. The problem is that Japan, like many countries with one major ethnicity, has incredibly restrictive immigration policies.

Seyavesh

lmao if you really think nerds are the reason for economic and cultural decline of any country

i thought you were smarter than that jazz

THE reason? no...i never said that

A reason...yes for sure

people already hit the (biggest) nail. japan makes having children expensive as hell.

It's more likely to be a symptom rather than the cause, because most of the things you mentioned are just escapes and outlets for young men who are frustrated with societal expectations and Japan's working culture. Most "NEET" types stay indoors and indulge their hobbies because they hate socializing and participating, not because they love anime so much they don't have a chance to leave their apartments.

It's why things like waifus suddenly appearing out of a portal in your living room or a harem of really annoying one-dimensional characters is somehow an especially appealing fantasy, when it seems really confusing and sort of creepy for people in other cultures.

Jazz-ism

Banned
It's more likely to be a symptom rather than the cause, because most of the things you mentioned are just escapes and outlets for young men who are frustrated with societal expectations and Japan's working culture. Most "NEET" types stay indoors and indulge their hobbies because they hate socializing and participating, not because they love anime so much they don't have a chance to leave their apartments.

It's why things like waifus suddenly appearing out of a portal in your living room or a harem of really annoying one-dimensional characters is somehow an especially appealing fantasy, when it seems really confusing and sort of creepy for people in other cultures.

this is on point. this could be expanded to the various counter culture movements and subcommunities too...anime aside

chriskun

The trick is that you allow immigration to make up the gap. The problem is that Japan, like many countries with one major ethnicity, has incredibly restrictive immigration policies.

I don't think that would work for Japan, there is virtually no low level manufacturing or agricultural industries for immigrants to work in.

Clawww

I don't think that would work for Japan, there is virtually no low level manufacturing or agricultural industries for immigrants to work in.

sure, but there are areas that need workers and it's still very difficult to break in--it's an ordeal to even get work in a nursing home, and if you do, you have to put up with the xenophobia. I think it was the BBC documentary enzo mentioned that featured a nurse/health worker who had to go through a brutal process

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
sure, but there are areas that need workers and it's still very difficult to break in--it's an ordeal to even get work in a nursing home, and if you do, you have to put up with the xenophobia. I think it was the BBC documentary enzo mentioned that featured a nurse/health worker who had to go through a brutal process

It also mentioned that Japanese students who go to school outside of the country have a harder time getting jobs.

Riposte

THE reason? no...i never said that

A reason...yes for sure

Not "for sure". It's an explanation that is convenient, but based on almost nothing but memes and pop culture exports (where "otaku" becomes something bigger than it is). Everyone can make up an explanation, but these explanations are not inherently valuable.

Indeed, it is not "THE" reason, insofar there can be a single dominant reason in a complex sociological question, but admitting that it is not doesn't make it any more convincing as a minor reason.

Shouta

Went 0-2 in Topanga. To be expected considering I was playing on a stick instead of a pad, lol. I did better than I expected. I made Mago, Daigo, and and Momochi sweat on the machines before and after though, even got Ultras on them. lol Considering I was playing with a handicap against them, I'm satisfied. Gotta get more practice in even if it's not on a pad. =P

Went 0-2 in Topanga. To be expected considering I was playing on a stick instead of a pad, lol. I did better than I expected. I made Mago, Daigo, and and Momochi sweat on the machines before and after though, even got Ultras on them. lol Considering I was playing with a handicap against them, I'm satisfied. Gotta get more practice in even if it's not on a pad. =P

Making Daigo and Momochi sweat is pretty impressive. Great stuff.

pixelish

is there a tournament happening in topanga right now? why is there no news about it?

Played Rise of the Incarnates for about fifteen minutes today. I didn't get any feeling of depth. Is it actually much cop?

Playing a lot of MTG at the moment as a side thing to try and figure out some things I am doing wrong in competitive games in general. Learned a lot of reasons to appreciate fighting games. It is so expensive to actually play Magic, when a fighter is so cheap in comparison.

I've been getting into Netrunner myself. MTG's my main game still, but sometimes you have to face the facts: WotC has changed their focus and I'm not their target customer anymore, so Standard/Modern probably won't be for me now and in the future, and while Legacy is fun, WotC doesn't care about it anymore - no B&R updates since ever and they keep printing absurd bullshit like True-Name Nemesis and Council's Judgment that just break the basic mechanic assumptions about the game and they leave them be. And then there's Reserve List as a kind of inevitable heat death via lost card stock and ever rising prices.

So off to greener pastures if I only can get my friends to play it I think. The FFG team makes cards with the kind of feel WotC did when I started the game seven years ago, is committed to keeping the card stock in print. The game is way cheaper to play competitively and just as good. I really hope I can get my friends to start it :/

To actually reply to you and as a general piece of advice to everyone, delving into many different kinds of games, even just by reading about them a lot and watching some games get played is a really good kind of experience. It really helps one see how all competitive games are the same at heart and draw parallels between different games that helps you become better and just gives interesting "A-ha!" experiences.
Stuff like relating time in fighters and fog of war in RTSes to each other and the like.

And who knows, maybe you'll find a new game you love a lot?

Play Limited it's much less expensive and rewarding

$15/tournament is much less expensive? Besides which most Limited formats I've seen make me want to kill myself.

Buff Zato, he's a bad character

To be honest, atm Ramlethal looks like she's better at being Zato than Zato is. She has that same oppressive asynchronous control thing going on, but Zato controls time in a 2d game - so a game about space control - while Ramlethal controls space.

------

re: long combos discussion, it should be noted that the character of a KOF13 match changes dramatically as the match progresses. At first long combos are more or less absent (unless you're playing against Violent Kain or Bubblan or some other infinite-churning machine), and become more prevalent in the later rounds. If someone kills me with the Kyo infinite, I'll gladly extend the hand.

-------
Losing with a shit character is more fun than winning with an OP character. That's basic.

I'm exactly the opposite. I tierwhore where I can so I know whatever bs gets thrown at me, my character has as bad and/or more of it and can probably handle the situation if I only learn how. I can fix my play, I can't fix a character. Also, when I lose I know I got outplayed and can honestly congratulate the opponent and try to do better next time.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Didn't like this one because the major takeaway everybody took from it was the married dude who played Love Plus. Literally no reason to have that in the doc.
Yes it did, it had to do with the much larger point about the industry that feeds off of and perpetuates a certain type of gender relations locally, which is a contributing factor.

kirblar

You don't read. They could have made the effort if they wanted to. They didn't, because it didn't felt like Guilty Gear. End of story.
Yup. SF4 tried using collision detection instead of hurtboxes and it apparently felt bizarre. If you want something new, do a new IP.

Right, it's easier to make with less frames.
Still doesn't mean they can't put in the effort.

Uh, the difference between "proper animation" and those still frames is a button press, more or less. The inbetween frames are typically generated automatically. Not using them is a stylistic decision to make it look hand drawn.

$15/tournament is much less expensive? Besides which most Limited formats I've seen make me want to kill myself.

Most stores reward top X placers with store credit which you can feed back into more booster drafts, plus you can sell back any chase pulls for more credit (if you don't care for Constructed like me).

Top Bottom