• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Aug 4-10 | IT DOES NOT FOLLOW ANY REASON

Infinite

Yes it did, it had to do with the much larger point about the industry that feeds off of and perpetuates a certain type of gender relations locally, which is a contributing factor.
Where's the studies, evidence and science to actually substantiate this claim? I fail to see how showing me a single adult male's obsession with a video game and how that obsession may or may not be ruining his marriage illustrates a larger societal problem with declining birthrates. If you want to make a point about Japanese consumer culture and how it may contribute to this problem that is the least effective way to illustrate that. The segment was only in the documentary because western media likes to put this "wacky crazy japan" spin on everything related to the country. The fact is a lot of European countries are having the same problem but when that's reported they don't try to blame nerds for it.

And this is off topic as hell

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't the US the only developed nation with a replacement level birthrate?

and even that's mostly due to immigration IIRC

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Where's the studies, evidence and science to actually substantiate this claim? I fail to see how showing me a single adult male's obsession with a video game and how that obsession may or may not be ruining his marriage illustrates a larger societal problem with declining birthrates. If you want to make a point about Japanese consumer culture and how it may contribute to this problem that is the least effective way to illustrate that. The segment was only in the documentary because western media likes to put this "wacky crazy japan" spin on everything related to the country. The fact is a lot of European countries are having the same problem but when that's reported they don't try to blame nerds for it.

And this is off topic as hell
You make good points about the lack of statistical connection, IIRC.

Anyone up for some Under Night[insert rest of dumb title]? If so, give me PM/reply :)

You have no diginity.

As someone who does animation etc etc [insert the rest of my bullshit] the way Guilty Gear Turd has been designed is impressive. I'm following this game from the development standpoint and it's incredible creative how this game is being made.

Good thing I played Poison.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I saw an MvC2 arcade machine for the first time yesterday. Pretty much just EVO and getting sponsored by EMP left on the FGC bucket lest.

I saw an MvC2 arcade machine for the first time yesterday. Pretty much just EVO and getting sponsored by EMP left on the FGC bucket lest.

Could EMP even last long enough for that? Or is it like The Phantom - so long as one person uses the tag, it lives?

There's a MvC2 cab at a pizza shop near my college, stowed away all the way in the back. I see people play it every now and then, but no one ever plays plays VS on it - groups of people will take turns in Single Player, mind you, but never VS. Probably because of the lack of space.

petghost

Banned
coming from another thread talking about the idea of DC vs capcom left me wondering how many of you guys (mvc players) were really drawn in by/care about the marvel license? was that what got you to check out the game or was it that it was the next capcom game? had you had prior experience with VS games? did you play TvC? i just kinda figured that in the community of people who play the games seriously no one gave a shit about what characters from what comics were involved but im starting to think i was wrong. if they were to do a follow up with similar mechanics but no marvel license would that be a turn off?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
coming from another thread talking about the idea of DC vs capcom left me wondering how many of you guys (mvc players) were really drawn in by/care about the marvel license? was that what got you to check out the game or was it that it was the next capcom game? had you had prior experience with VS games? did you play TvC? i just kinda figured that in the community of people who play the games seriously no one gave a shit about what characters from what comics were involved but im starting to think i was wrong. if they were to do a follow up with similar mechanics with no license would that be a turn off?
You're wrong. A ton of the charm of the games comes from the Marvel side of the cast. Perhaps even the majority of it.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
coming from another thread talking about the idea of DC vs capcom left me wondering how many of you guys (mvc players) were really drawn in by/care about the marvel license? was that what got you to check out the game or was it that it was the next capcom game? had you had prior experience with VS games? did you play TvC? i just kinda figured that in the community of people who play the games seriously no one gave a shit about what characters from what comics were involved but im starting to think i was wrong. if they were to do a follow up with similar mechanics with no license would that be a turn off?

The characters are what got MvC big in the first place

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Another random anecdote, when I was a kid, I always thought when IM pulled out the proton cannon he said HIT BY TOMATOES, PROTOOOOOON CANNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON.

I'm not even going to say what my friend thought Testament was saying in GG for grave digger

id2oE.png

CPS2

There's a MvC2 cab at a pizza shop near my college, stowed away all the way in the back. I see people play it every now and then, but no one ever plays plays VS on it - groups of people will take turns in Single Player, mind you, but never VS. Probably because of the lack of space.
They might also be cheapskates and trying to maximise the amount of time they can play the game incorrectly.

They might also be cheapskates and trying to maximise the amount of time they can play the game incorrectly.
I used to be so good at spamming Soul Fist until I had enough meter for a random Soul Eraser. I remember when I was in high school, a teacher told me that I should really be practicing Captain Commando. Captain Corridor never left my team...

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Pretty damn interesting talk on the declining birth rate in Japan. FGW tries to derail the conversation but it always comes back to anime. But answer me this, I always thought the "otaku" or anime loving culture was a minority in Japan? Even though they keep on hashing it out to make a ridiculous profit, I just wanna have the perspective of someone who's actually been there, I know Shouta is a regular there. Or is it a difference in taste spanning multiple generations? I can imagine older generations in Japan didn't partake much in it unlike the most current generations in Japan. I have no idea so can someone please elucidate?

My friend showed my pictures of Akihabara and god damn, I was surprised at all the stuff that was in a public store...
Clearly it was NSFW stuff in the form of figurines.

MrDaravon

UltraDavid just retweeted this, impeccable timing for this conversation:

MomsAgainstAnime ‏@MomsAgnstAnime Aug 6
My son brought his pillow to the breakfast table, its sitting in its own chair, he just leaned over to kiss it

I'll never be a grandmother

Infinite

Pretty damn interesting talk on the declining birth rate in Japan. FGW tries to derail the conversation but it always comes back to anime. But answer me this, I always thought the "otaku" or anime loving culture was a minority in Japan? Even though they keep on hashing it out to make a ridiculous profit, I just wanna have the perspective of someone who's actually been there, I know Shouta is a regular there. Or is it a difference in taste spanning multiple generations? I can imagine older generations in Japan didn't partake much in it unlike the most current generations in Japan. I have no idea so can someone please elucidate?

My friend showed my pictures of Akihabara and god damn, I was surprised at all the stuff that was in a public store...
Clearly it was NSFW stuff in the form of figurines.

Otaku is someone who expresses nearly obsessive interests into a thing. So you can have anime otaku, train otaku, military gun otaku, etc.

Shit like train otaku are influence by the fact that Japan has an expansive locomotive industry and people ride the train across the country n stuff.

It's goes into how Japanese consumer culture works as well. Like in the west the way we express out interests into a thing is learning about it researching it joining a message board about. Just really embellishing the sub culture. Japan if you wanna be a skateboarder you buy shit related to skateboarding. That is how you show people that you skateboard. That explains how easily exploited otakus are I guess.

Umm anime otaku and moe otaku are pretty niche and moe otaku are seen as social deviants as far as I know.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
UltraDavid just retweeted this, impeccable timing for this conversation:

Is this a troll account? By God is some of the stuff hilarious.

Otaku is someone who expresses nearly obsessive interests into a thing. So you can have anime otaku, train otaku, military gun otaku, etc.

Shit like train otaku are influence by the fact that Japan has an expansive locomotive industry and people ride the train across the country n stuff.

It's goes into how Japanese consumer culture works as well. Like in the west the way we express out interests into a thing is learning about it researching it joining a message board about. Just really embellishing the sub culture. Japan if you wanna be a skateboarder you buy shit related to skateboarding. That is how you show people that you skateboard. That explains how easily exploited otakus are I guess.

Umm anime otaku and moe otaku are pretty niche and moe otaku are seen as social deviants as far as I know.

Ah I see, so I was misusing the word. Thanks for the clarification Infinite, I don't delve too much into anime culture, just to watch anime that interest me. However, I thought message boards were pretty popular in Japan though? Seems odd how they express interest in doing said action/activity instead of looking into it beforehand.

Infinite

Is this a troll account? By God is some of the stuff hilarious.

Ah I see, so I was misusing the word. Thanks for the clarification Infinite, I don't delve too much into anime culture, just to watch anime that interest me. However, I thought message boards were pretty popular in Japan though? Seems odd how they express interest in doing said action/activity instead of looking into it beforehand.

I never said they don't use message boards. It's just that to prove they are apart of a subculture they buy things related to that subculture. That doesn't mean that they don't talk about it later on 2ch.

onionfrog

Another random anecdote, when I was a kid, I always thought when IM pulled out the proton cannon he said HIT BY TOMATOES, PROTOOOOOON CANNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON.
I always though he was saying: "With my sunday best! PROTON CANNON

FGW | Fighting Game Otakus

Village

Alright, I have question about poison i think we all wanna know.

Something that has been bothering us from the beginning something that has been plaguing our minds, something kept secret. Something that would shake the fighting Streets to its core, and it all starts and ends with poison.

Ok

Is poison naturally pink or does she dye that shit? In a world with peeps with hot red hair like viper, and white hair like Elena, is Poison born pink? Or she in Dying hard like ken does.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Alright, I have question about poison i think we all wanna know.

Something that has been bothering us from the beginning something that has been plaguing our minds, something kept secret. Something that would shake the fighting Streets to its core, and it all starts and ends with poison.

Ok

Is poison naturally pink or does she dye that shit? In a world with peeps with hot red hair like viper, and white hair like Elena, is Poison born pink? Or she in Dying hard like ken does.
she's a video game character

Otaku is alway supposed to be a slur. The negative connotations just never made it over here as much. It seems like nerd/geek don't seem to be popular insults anymore in general so otaku didn't get it's fair share of stigma either.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I never said they don't use message boards. It's just that to prove they are apart of a subculture they buy things related to that subculture. That doesn't mean that they don't talk about it later on 2ch.

My wording could probably be better, all I was speaking of was the popularity of message boards. Not trying to sound haughty or arrogant but of course they use message boards, 2ch is hella popular down there with people who do use message boards.

By the way Infinite, which anime fighters you into right now? I already got GG under my belt, wanna get UnIEL once it comes out state side on PSN. I'm looking to get into a few once November rolls in and become full anime until Capcom comes out with another versus.
pls don't say love max

Oneida sure has been posting negative lately, must be lack of new VF info

So you mean to tell me he's always negative?

Shouta

am I gonna see you on the tokidoblog channel lol

I might show up actually... Both of my matches were on the recorded machine. I did one cool thing in my match, I stopped a Claw wall jump by timing it so I blocked his approach as he was coming on me, we both landed at the same time and I Ultra 1'd him. I'd like the Video for that, lol.

Also, JP's birth rate issues are not because of Otaku. They're a symptom of the issue and not the cause itself.

Top Bottom