• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 1-7 | Guest characters are banned

;-;

My best average is 29.9, I definitely need to step it up.

Lol my average is 26 without glasses, 25.6 with glasses.

But the variance is between like 21 and 30. I just can't focus long enough and eventually my mind wanders so the reaction time drops off like a rock.

Edit: "Nemo : I would like to go EVO 2015. But I can't answer now because I have to get tha paid vacation..." That full time job.

If anyone's interested there's a neat "Milia Blocker" flash tool to help get your reaction times up.

http://labzerogames.com/iheartteyah/MilliaBlocker_v0.3.swf

Only press a button for the overheads.

averaged 23.7 i suck :C
WN8mei8.jpg

casperOne

I have no audio for this, but I can see the desperation in his eyes. There's a little more empahty for Dee Jay mains from me this day.

The article was corrected, it wasn't Keits who made the announcment and it's not being held at Ultra arcade. I do hope this happens, but I question whether or not the money is going to be there.

Nemo : Capcom didn't select UMVC3 at Capcom Cup 2014. And, Japanese UMVC3 was killed by RF. His play is boring and strong similar to Chris G. He is slaying the Japanese UMVC3 players by Mori-Doom-Vir.

That's just a shit attitude to have. Justin didn't have that attitude and look what happened. He held that shit down for six months so he would be ready for Chris G at Evo.

In other words, Japan, step your game up.

Somebody made a GG Xrd video database and holy shit. Shout outs to Doug the Merkava player from Canada, may I never remember his original tag (he's gg_keeponrockin atm)

http://keeponrock.in/match/index/page/1/#content

Holy bejeezus.

i just feel like posting this apropos of nothing because it's cute

It is. What is it?

If anyone's interested there's a neat "Milia Blocker" flash tool to help get your reaction times up.

Feels incredibly slow on my machine (I have an auto refresh script running on another tab for a Nexus 6, so that may be it as well).

Love/hate when it tells me "STOP GUESSING!"

Sayad

Uhh, I averaged 34.1 frames... I think I should quit playing fighting games.

Lol not completely serious but it's always depressing doing these reaction tests. My results are always so bad compared to other people's. :(
That's more than half a second, most probably flash isn't running well/adds delay.

Millia's overheads in Xrd:
TK Badmoon: jump start-up + air frames + 11 Badmoon start up frame
6K Overhead: 19 frames
Dust: 28 frames

Got ~26 ;__;

Onemic

I averaged 25.3 frames. I knew my reactions were the worst

I can react to badmoon sooner than I can react to her 6k overhead. Usually 3-4 frames sooner.

Sayad

That's just a shit attitude to have. Justin didn't have that attitude and look what happened. He held that shit down for six months so he would be ready for Chris G at Evo.
Didn't Justin and most other players(excluding Champ) have that attitude for quite a while during Chris' dominance run?

cHaotix8

So I got in a really bad car accident on the way back from visiting Austin and now I won't be able to attend NEC. Really bummed out about that since the whole purpose of the trip was to practice for the tournament. Oh well. :(

LordJim

So I got in a really bad car accident on the way back from visiting Austin and now I won't be able to attend NEC. Really bummed out about that since the whole purpose of the trip was to practice for the tournament. Oh well. :(

Nobody injured, hopefully?

She did like 12 lows in the end, I got scared to press back
Ld8iWkIl.jpg

That's awful, are you OK? Did anyone get injured?

4r5

ugh, screw this

wKyk26c.png

I keep getting faults, because my natural reaction to HairCar is to Downback,Back,Downback+HeavySlash. Verifying for not-HairCar is really slowing me down. And BadMoon is missing the smoke-puff behind her, for when she jumps.

So how many people actually look directly at their opponent's character? I always found that to be too much visual information to parse. Animation changed, what is it? Walking. Animation changed, what is it? Whiffing a jab. Animation changed, what is it? Man, what an ugly color. Oh, fuck, overhead!

Instead of focusing directly on my opponent's character, I look at the space between us. And use peripheral vision to look around my opponent's character. For example, against Millia: If her sprite expands behind her, then it's HairCar or BadMoon. If her sprite contracts inward and moves upward, then it's her standing overhead. If she contracts inward and moves downward, then it's Dust. Simplifies things for me.

Basicly, if character enters certain areas around themselves, or leaves already occupied areas, then it can only be a certain move. Or if it can potentially be many moves, you can usually order them on a timeline. And then order your inputs to match up with the possibilities. Like VF fuzzy-guarding.

Characters like SkullGirl's Double drive me insane, because her sprite can be anything from huge monster to tiny teacup. And then, 3D fighters, too much tweening.

gutabo

People doing the flash reaction test: don't forget to factor in the input delay of your monitor and close any other flash app that's running, specially if you have something like last moday's ultrachen show loaded up and eating like half of your available RAM.

I'll give you a tip, as you I dont have that monstruous reaction that others have, so i've come with a way to get to their level, I prepare mentally for the move I think they're gonna throw and focus on that, once the move comes is so easy to react. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7IY396Q6_k
this is a video of me playing 1 month ago in a tournament, you'll see what i mean when you watch it.

Joder tio, que tales reflejos, la hostia!
did I get it right? Kappa

I have no audio for this, but I can see the desperation in his eyes. There's a little more empahty for Dee Jay mains from me this day.
Breh, he took an 8-2 matchup and TURNED IT INTO A 7-3!!!

So how many people actually look directly at their opponent's character? I always found that to be too much visual information to parse. Animation changed, what is it? Walking. Animation changed, what is it? Whiffing a jab. Animation changed, what is it? Man, what an ugly color. Oh, fuck, overhead!

Characters like SkullGirl's Double drive me insane, because her sprite can be anything from huge monster to tiny teacup. And then, 3D fighters, too much tweening.

Sounds like too much required knowledge for a new player. For this silly little test I definitely need to focus on the character sprite otherwise I lose focus and stop paying attention.

Onemic

Wow that bad?

Nah, I don't play GG so I had to take a few tries to even know what moves were possibly coming.

Well I meant first try as in first complete score without a fault :p

Depending on if you get that moon attack or her standing overhead your score will be higher or lower respectively. the standing overhead is really hard to react to for me. I seem to avg anywhere from 22 at best to 30 at worst for that move. While the moon attack I've been able to react to in 18 frames at times.

Dlent

I can't wait for Millia blocker to be updated with backstep > YRC > j.K or her new dust.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Even for old GG they could have put in haircar FRC into j.k. You don't usually react to that until way after it happens though.

Well I meant first try as in first complete score without a fault :p

Depending on if you get that moon attack or her standing overhead your score will be higher or lower respectively. the standing overhead is really hard to react to for me. I seem to avg anywhere from 22 at best to 30 at worst for that move. While the moon attack I've been able to react to in 18 frames at times.

I kept trying and got it down a few points. I had one that was mostly the jump attack and got 25. I never do well in these tests though. I guess I am old and slow. Doesn't seem to matter at least.

i wonder if netherrealms studios can add names for character moves based on ability to connect. so it won't be a spam of characters calling out shit. it could set them apart from other fighting games at least in that aspect.

I.e. sub-zero can throw his freeze projectile. but only if it's a guaranteed hit does he say something like "FREEZE~" or "Desist~"

would add to the flare of the series.

i wonder if netherrealms studios can add names for character moves based on ability to connect. so it won't be a spam of characters calling out shit. it could set them apart from other fighting games at least in that aspect.

I.e. sub-zero can throw his freeze projectile. but only if it's a guaranteed hit does he say something like "FREEZE~" or "Desist~"

In MKX the characters talk a lot more in game than they have in the past. It's like Injustice, they have lines they say after throws, combos, specials. They're quite chatty. The lines can change based on the character match up too.

Conditional dialogue seems like a pipe dream sometimes. It would be neat if NRS had something like that. There's a LOT of other series that should strongly consider something like that.

alstein

Seeing other people's tests makes me realize my old man reactions aren't as bad as I thought. Only slightly below average. I guess my issue is dexterity when it comes to my Andreness.

Top Bottom