• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 1-7 | Guest characters are banned

fader

I really wonder if we'll get any late upres'd ports of current fighting games on next gen consoles. This gen transition has been a bit of a weird one, and it seems like a lot of people are satisfied with double dipping and/or buying old games on their new consoles just to have them there and even for minor [graphical] improvements. People in this thread have expressed interest in say a next gen USFIV as well. As weird as it is, I can totally see Namco throwing TTT2 or SCV back up there for a quick buck while the market is hot.

I think it boils down to people having an obsession with having whats "new". We see this every year when apples makes a new iPhone.

Nyoro SF

I'm buying Xrd for PS3 because I think this will be my last console generation. I'm not really inclined towards the PS4. If Xrd came out for PC I'd probably sell my PS3 once I finished Demon's Souls.

Xrd on PC... no loading times (especially on boot), no worries about image quality or frame drops, all sticks from any generation will very likely work (even those oddball sticks with a couple of adapters attached), skip intro logos with some config tweaking. I can see it all now, in a dream future where we receive Xrd on PC
three years after its console release

and heres the info on unlockables stolen from dustloop

source

If it works like BlazBlue then you should be able to get currency just from playing online matches as well. Just save up for a while and play the game as you normally would and you'll have enough for the dude eventually. Screw paying for an unlock code, I suffered through the entirety of Chrono Phantasma's story for Kagura and now I can get Sin for just dicking around as I always do (assuming online matches give you currency).

In any case, I like that they're not repackaging the old songs as DLC and selling it to us.

Anth0ny

I really wonder if we'll get any late upres'd ports of current fighting games on next gen consoles. This gen transition has been a bit of a weird one, and it seems like a lot of people are satisfied with double dipping and/or buying old games on their new consoles just to have them there and even for minor [graphical] improvements. People in this thread have expressed interest in say a next gen USFIV as well. As weird as it is, I can totally see Namco throwing TTT2 or SCV back up there for a quick buck while the market is hot.

I bet we see a current gen port of everything but mahvel

._.

Anne

The only thing I've heard from a decent source (JP guy I can't remember the name of atm) about Xrd PS3 is that on certain stages there are frame drops when things get wild. #1 they have the quality switch to reduce this, and #2 this is something that actually happens with BBCP pretty often. Our solution is to avoid the couple of stages that might cause drops when you blow up all the particle effects. We'll leave the quality switch set to whatever setting prioritizes framerate.

Tbh if you play on PS4 and you want to fight the community at large and particularly good/tournament players, you best opt to play with PS3 players. I know literally not a single serious competitive GG player who is going PS4.

Also yeah I'm paying the 2.50 to unlock Sin. At least you have the option to grind it out but that's just silly. AS a TO I'll probably pay 2.50 a few times.

mbpm1

I haven't even touch Destiny yet, but it has plague my group chats (yes multiple of chats not just one!).

DESTINY THIS! DESTINY THAT. GET ON DESTINY!

Yo art when's destiny

Also fuck link, that elven motherfucker and his priority have burned me enough

I think we already have seen this. It happened with Injustice at PS4 launch and it's happening with Xrd kinda

CPS2

Well since ps4 isn't backwards compat I think a lot of people just want all their games on one system
I would feel like an absolute sucker if I bought all those games again on ps4. The memory of seeing all the arcade game collections released on ps2 and then xbl/psn is too fresh in my mind. Like I've already bought 4 copies of third strike, I think, and I don't have any reason to doubt they'll eventually release all of that again and it won't be free, it just might be bundled with ST or something. No doubt a version I already own.

Actually the one way I would bite, is if they do what Tekken 5 did by including Tekken 1, 2 and 3. That should be how its done, new game plus bundled old ones, not old ones releasing over and over again in different combinations.

Nyoro SF

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";141309142]You're a Demon's Souls fan and have no interest in Bloodborne?

You don't even need to go that far. She's a succubus. Rape is literally her job description.[/QUOTE]

To me, one game isn't really good enough.
Maybe I'll do what I did with a PS3 and just wait 7 years after PS4's release date to get one. Or even better, I'll just borrow a friend of mine's PS4 to play on. To this date I still regret paying to play online with my X360.... I don't think I'll ever do that again.

The signs are there for Xrd coming to PC though. I am very optimistic. Skullgirls on PC has spoiled me a lot and is the major reason why I'm still involved with the game, that is before I accidentally got sucked into the Valkyria Chronicles vortex. Being able to play characters as they get slowly balance tweaked and implemented into the game is great fun.

kirblar

Fraeon

I don't get people playing online.

It's been surprisingly common lately that I join an endless lobby and the guy beats me the first match and then the next match they spend shitload of time taunting and get beasted, then kick me out.

I don't really understand that. Especially since on the PC version good connections are hard to come by, so that kind of attitude is just...

Eh...

Nyoro SF

I agree with him- I liked the early, "simple" version of the game that didn't have the masturbatory FGC in-jokes all over the place.

The game always had those FGC in-jokes. I think the first version of the game even had a joke about marn killing guilty gear.

Anne

Probably more fair and accurate to say more people liked it with less in-jokes rather than none.

I have an anime avatar though so I can't talk about Divekick

(PS I think the game is fine but the in-jokes and stuff are a bit of a turn off, just saying you can reword the criticism and it works in a pretty similar way)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Watching Jeff (& Brad?) react to the in-jokes in the game like they were drinking beer by a fence in King of the Hill said it all for me.

Even that brand of humour is usually only good once.

kirblar

The game always had those FGC in-jokes. I think the first version of the game even had a joke about marn killing guilty gear.
Like, you had Mr. N, who was both Marn AND a Rufus knock-off. And that was cool.

And then MarkMan gets put in as a playable character along with Jebailey and it just went from making fun of games to making fun of people the developers were buds with.

Malice215

I agree with him- I liked the early, "simple" version of the game that didn't have the masturbatory FGC in-jokes all over the place.

I really enjoyed the game when I played it at EVO. Even bought the shirt to show my support. It was fine with the few in-jokes it had, then it went too far in that direction as they worked on the retail release which turned me off to it.

Capcom has been doing this for decades, and it wouldn't take much to take the PC version and port it over to XBO/PS4 and package it with all the DLC and updates. I don't see Namco doing the same because they're not going to make money and people want new games.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Can you go into more detail about why the buttons aren't good?

I know Markman said something similar, and I respect his opinion.

The main reason I don't like the kuro buttons is they don't feel as responsive and they plunge differently from what I'm used to. I used the fighting edge for awhile and even used the kuro buttons on a few arcade games in Japan for awhile. While I respect what Hori has done to try and change/evolve the design of arcade parts, I just don't like their iteration. It has nothing to do with design/execution, but it is more of a preference thing for me.

Coda

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/1417540860
Xrd console footage
its mostly about online and ps4 stuff but there is a comparison at the end of the video of ps3 speed and visual modes

Nice so hyped for GG Xrd getting the import so I can post impressions soon.

BTW...

Every one should listen to this album, especially if you're into tasteful dance/hip hop music. I can see it becoming a great fighter EP.

a2228506944_2.jpg

http://huhwhatwhere.bandcamp.com/album/the-other-day

I have nothing against the actual music in fighting games most of the time but it wears thin quickly. Playing my own collection of music has always got me mega hyped about fighting games.

WarRock

consequently, i think my decline in love of western made fighting games is the lack of shouting out their moves' names

...I never thought about that. But it makes sense. Scorpion is iconic as fuck and more easily remembered by people because GET OVER HERE.

You can't say the same for Stryker, Jax, Kintaro, etc

Nyoro SF

Well that's a big downer. I canceled my JP preorder for it...

I'll have to rely on my friend's digital PS4 copy
and learn how to play pad really fast

Canceled my limited edition and went for the standard edition. Well, at least I'll save money. :p

The main reason I don't like the kuro buttons is they don't feel as responsive and they plunge differently from what I'm used to. I used the fighting edge for awhile and even used the kuro buttons on a few arcade games in Japan for awhile. While I respect what Hori has done to try and change/evolve the design of arcade parts, I just don't like their iteration. It has nothing to do with design/execution, but it is more of a preference thing for me.
I dig. Personally, I love the Sanwas on my Hori and Madcatz sticks, so I might as well just stick with what work. Did you notice my PM, by chance? :-D

Zissou

Nidhogg is 'simple game that allows everybody to understand the joy of fighting games' done right. I agree with Honzo's (wtf?!) assessment of divekick.

Random question- will the Xrd OT be up to coincide with the JP release date or we gotta wait?

kirblar

Nidhogg is 'simple game that allows everybody to understand the joy of fighting games' done right. I agree with Honzo's (wtf?!) assessment of divekick.

Random question- will the Xrd OT be up to coincide with the JP release date or we gotta wait?
Honzo in non-troll mode is great, but unfortunately he doesn't take down the persona very often.

Krackatoa

So in order to prep my Hitbox for Xrd, I went to look for padhack/PCB options.

From the looks of it, I shouldn't really try dealing with a PS4 controller. No PCBs on the immediate horizon either.

I'm tempted to just buy a full-priced PS4 stick just for a new case (Could use it for PS3 or 360) and a transplant-friendly PCB.

Top Bottom