• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 1-7 | Guest characters are banned

Hey all! I was directed to this thread after posting on the Ultra Street Fighter IV OT.

My cousin just finished off his capstone project about the competitive street fighter gaming scene and competitive gaming in general and thought you all might be interested in checking it out.

It follows a few of the top players in the DFW area.

DOWN RIGHT FIERCE: A Look Inside Competitive Gaming
A documentary taking a look inside the world of the competitive fighting game scene. The documentary explores various aspects of competitive gaming, including its current struggle to become a mainstream entity.
http://youtu.be/lznYJFYmq5k

I don't have a TV in my apartment so I go down to the lobby and play Xrd on my PS4 at night, but the TV there is being used :-(

Bunch of troglodytes using a TV on a Thursday night, geez. Get a life, right.

I wonder if there's a way to hook up the PS4 to my Cintiq Companion....

Question for Guilty Gear folks:

Can anyone explain May's playstyle? Is it to put stuff on the screen and then move in under that cover.. ?

Jump around doing HS until you get a counter hit.
Stay on the ground doing HS until you get a counter hit.
If you have to apply pressure, jump around doing HS and sometimes do 2HS.
Use charged 6P to make frametraps and stun potemkin in 2 hits.
Hiruka-san.
Whale-sama.
Hiruka-san.
Hiruka-san.
HS.
HS Hiruka-san.

Edit : cleared story mode. It was visual nvel juvenile shit that lasted 5 hours and somehow manage to disgust me of everything I liked in the guilty gear storyline.

Hiruka-san.
Whale-sama.
Hiruka-san.
Hiruka-san.
HS.
HS Hiruka-san.

Edit : cleared story mode. It was visual nvel juvenile shit that lasted 5 hours and somehow manage to disgust me of everything I liked in the guilty gear storyline.

Yea I always thought of her as a counterhit character

Astarte

Hiruka-san.
Whale-sama.
Hiruka-san.
Hiruka-san.
HS.
HS Hiruka-san.

I'm enjoying story mode because it's as guilty pleasure as it gets =w=
It's so corny but I like it a lot.

Did you somehow miss the entire story mode of every previous GG?

Did them all except some of AC+ storylines and ouverture. I didn't remember Sol was going around acting like "Yo I'm a bounty hunter yo" while having fake psychological problems about his dead ex. Or hearing cheesy poprock songs while watching characters eating pizza and hamburgers.

Sayad: no fight at all, lasts 5 hours. Remember the 100 000 credits for Sin anytime your want to quit.

Astarte

Are there really no fights in story mode? I need a justification to go through that crap. :(

It's cliche, cheesy, corny, and HELLA anime. If you're interested in more backstory/100k credits to unlock sin with, then you should do it.
I'm going through it right now and holy shit it's really cheeseball

I prefered Mortal Kombat and Injustice story modes over GGXrd. They were sometimes stupid but at least they were FUN with characters doing stupid things like Aquaman riding a giant ennemy crab to battle. Jeezus I still remember the french version of MK story mode that was dubbed like a direct to video ninja movie from the eighties (ninja cop, white ninja, american ninja anyone ?) Oh and you would see there was an effort and money put into this.

Xrd is like bad anime tropes in 10 lessons.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
It's cliche, cheesy, corny, and HELLA anime. If you're interested in more backstory/100k credits to unlock sin with, then you should do it.
I'm going through it right now and holy shit it's really cheeseball

Im guessing its not the good kind of cheesy

I still haven't selected the story mode in the original P4A lol

I don't know, I don't see the point to single player non-training type modes in fighting games.

Unless it's something crazy like the dungeon crawler in Ehrgeiz.

Astarte

Im guessing its not the good kind of cheesy

It's both horrifyingly terrible cheesy and great cheesy. It's like they took every anime cliche and suplexed them into a heavy metal form
also there's typos and grammatical errors out the ass and that bothers me so much

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
YO TheBesteban. If you read this, PM me. Or let me know if you want to do this week's FGW Spotlight or not (it's in OP).

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
It's both horrifyingly terrible cheesy and great cheesy. It's like they took every anime cliche and suplexed them into a heavy metal form
also there's typos and grammatical errors out the ass and that bothers me so much

What official retail game would have more than 2 at max typos.

4r5

Question for Guilty Gear folks:

Can anyone explain May's playstyle? Is it to put stuff on the screen and then move in under that cover.. ?

May has always had a little bit of everything. Xrd May can put a ton of crap on the screen. And you can ride that crap all over your opponent's face, figuratively and literally. May's most defining characteristic is her incredible air-to-ground game.

Her j.S is a crazy air-to-ground poke. When used correctly, it can beat out most every anti-air in the game. Haven't fooled around with it much in Xrd, but in prior games it had a tendency to clash with DP's.

Use j.2H adjust your jump arc. You can also FaultlessDefenseCancel/Kara-Cancel her j.2H to get the momentum adjustment without committing to the move. Do j.2H as j.[1H]~S.

j.D can be used like a mini-air jump. Use it to delay your decent. Or use during a jump-in mixup to reset the mixup all over again.

Ground-wise, her standing heavyslash is a crazy +7 on block. And she has a decent cmdThrow. Maybe 2nd behind Potemkin's cmdThrow. And of course, her Sea World.

From what I've seen of Xrd May, a lot less time is spent jumping around fishing for counterhits. And a lot more time is spent looking for, or creating, opportunities to setup sea life. Once you get 25% meter, that's pretty much a free fish or two. I see setting up a beach ball prioritized over dolphin hoops. But if you have 25% You can pretty much setup a dolphin hoop for free, YRC that, then go straight into calling out a beach ball. If they try to stop your beach ball summon, fire off the dolphin. If they do nothing, then you get to keep the dolphin for more setups.

USD

TOPANGA LEAGUE (A) ROUND 10

First day of the finals league.

http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv193028175 - Free viewing period over.

Today's matches:

sako (Ibuki) vs. Bonchan (Sagat)
3-7 ☆ ●●●●○●○●●
Michael-tan (Ken) vs. Momochi (Ken)
6-8 ☆ ●○●●○●●●○○○|●●
sako (Elena) vs. Uryo (Chun-Li)
7-3 ☆ ●○○○○●●○○
Michael-tan (Ken/Sagat) vs. Bonchan (Sagat)
4-7 ☆ ●○●●●●○○●●
Umehara (Evil Ryu) vs. Momochi (Ken)
8-6 ☆ ●●●○○○●○●●○|○○

Kimosabae

Banned
Coffee, stop being such a downer. SF4 is a great game, despite its faults.

That was a dope-ass trailer with the absolute right tone. Market the competitive aspect of a fighting game from the jump and casuals will be more open to that mindset when they jump into the game. This is why the SF franchise will remain indelible and be more consciously widespread relative to others.

Not sure, if I'm impressed with the graphics/artstyle yet, but it's early.

I told you guys PS4 exclusivity made sense. It's probably timed, though, because Bone isn't as stillborn today as it was when Hadouken Cabs came around last year.

Normal cancels! Omega getting us ready for SFV!!!

HYYYYYYYYPEEEEE!!!!!

Top Bottom