• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 1-7 | Guest characters are banned

Laconic

Banned
Right, but what primarily motivated you to "hit training mode" and "figure out things"? Where'd that "need" come from?

Probably from the fact that those players who were already hitting up training mode and figuring things out, were either dominating, or, worse, barely eeking out wins due to their skipping piano lessons for time practicing combo inputs.

Basically when having superior fundamentals stopped being enough.

Sayad

Right, but what primarily motivated you to "hit training mode" and "figure out things"? Where'd that "need" come from?
I put hundreds of hours in SF2, MK2/UMK3, Wrestlmania and a lot of shitty obscure fighting games as a kid, just playing FGs for hours none stop was fine by me, time wasn't a problem. The first game that made me really check things in training mode though was Tekken 3, mainly to check the long ass command lists at first, but later to learn how to deal with Hwoarang/Eddy spam. It made me and my brother way better than all our friends/cousins, so I think it was Tekken 3 that first opened my eyes to the importance of training mode, not only for combos, but to check moves usefulness and game mechanics.

Devid905

CRTL + F: "Mike Ross"

No Results

kzQrolh.gif
I also tried searching for KnuckleDu and CCG Air.

They're not on any of the pools ;__;

gutabo

Yesterday at a friend's place we had some PS3 Xrd(my second time with it, first one was the demo), it was very pretty but sadly I didn't like how Potemkin feels now and I didn't like all the pauses. I didn't even had much time to think about it tho because someone suggested we played 8 players sm4sh and much fun was had.

It doesn't even strike me as strange. DOA and Soulcalibur have always struck me as particularly good candidates for release on PC. The modding, characters and overall world fit in nicely with that crowd imo.

Next year is going to be amazing for Japanese software loving PC gamers between REMake, DOA5 and the inevitable new stuff Sega will have for us after Valkyria Chronicles PC did work.

FS? Hopefully.

hitsugi

『Inaba Resident』;141588613 said:
Its gonna be a USF4 port with timed exclusive characters: Alex and Karin
let me dream

I think there may be licensing issues with Karin.. no excuses for the rest, though.

Old japanese fighting game AI is pretty merciless. Even when you aren't playing against other human beings, you have to put some work in to beat it.

Horseress

It still looks great, but it's noticebly worse than the PS4 footage I've seen. Image quality is really rough and and has a grainy look to it that reminds me of Guilty Gear Isuka from back in the day. It just took me by surprise especially after seeing it on Art's stream last night, where O thought it looked great.

I noticed that too. The stages look really REALLY good. The characters...not so much

EDIT:

yoooo I bet it will be a godlike mobile game full of interesting microtransactions

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";141610291]What's the spot? I'm always on the lookout for good food in my area.[/QUOTE]

I think its either Kim Thanh or Thanh Long Restaraunt.
edit: url link is goofing on me.

My sister ate there last month and brought me some amazing fried salted ginger crab. There is so much good food in the city but its hard to get motivated to get down there especially with bad traffic/weather and parking. Places I used to deem "safe" are now not ideal when carrying a little toddler and little girl around. I will probably catch the Twitch stream of Capcom Cup instead.

If you are going, take pictures for GAF. I really think CC is going to be amazing. Are you on the dark side now (game development) GB? If you are, I owe you a congratulatory beer.

Pretty sure in 2015 we're going to start seeing full games shipping without MP/SP components altogether.
Titanfall.

This is already a thing as devs try to hit their marketing dictated release dates.

Arguably it would probably be better to release a working game that isn't feature complete or with limited content.

A Destiny vs Unity/Watch_Dogs situation.

alstein

DOA Steam ain't shipping with Online; devs promise it within 3 months

lol9

Dead or Alive more like Dead on Arrival.

Probably. Tecmo's options are limited here if they don't think they can release netcode on par with console in time for PC, which is what I think is going on:

1) They release a broken netcode - same day launch. Folks savage the game for shit online the way USFIV gets savaged. Patch doesn't fix reputation

2) They delay PC version- PC gets announced and folks pillory them for shafting the PC. Personally, this is the option I would have gone with, and include an explanation as to why.

3) They do what they do- get savaged for being dumb/shafting PC version.

I do think Tecmo believes they can do a good job by how they're doing this- they just think they need time. I can wait.

fader

Probably. Tecmo's options are limited here if they don't think they can release netcode on par with console in time for PC, which is what I think is going on:

1) They release a broken netcode - same day launch. Folks savage the game for shit online the way USFIV gets savaged. Patch doesn't fix reputation

2) They delay PC version- PC gets announced and folks pillory them for shafting the PC. Personally, this is the option I would have gone with, and include an explanation as to why.

3) They do what they do- get savaged for being dumb/shafting PC version.

I do think Tecmo believes they can do a good job by how they're doing this- they just think they need time. I can wait.

it's a lose-lose either way. But I think option 1 is the worst because people would drop the game (on steam) before they fix the netcode.

Kumubou

doa coming to PC.

imma need to move my pc from middle of the house.
This is the exact sort of situation Steam's in-home streaming was designed for!

it's a lose-lose either way. But I think option 1 is the worst because people would drop the game (on steam) before they fix the netcode.
The fun thing is, they could release the PC version with the console's net code at launch and people would still think it's broken. DoA5U is just that goddamn bad online. I hope the delay is due to a complete rewrite, but I have no faith.

DMC5 ? Sooo cooool. :3

Also I can confirm that GGXrd PS3 is grainy in graphic mode. And in speed mode, the game sometimes get very, very blurry. It's very annoying to be honest. Also I'm starting to not like the pause on the YRC as well.

fader

The fun thing is, they could release the PC version with the console's net code at launch and people would still think it's broken. DoA5U is just that goddamn bad online. I hope the delay is due to a complete rewrite, but I have no faith.

There are very little fighting game dev's that you can count on that actually cares about putting in the time or even have the resources to develop great netcode (granted it is hard in the US since our internet infrastructure is horrid given the land mass). Which sucks because online multiplayer is one of the first features the casual audience now and days look at(with the rise of esports and online multiplayer).

Oh forgot to say it but I tested GGXrd online with a bunch of friends. It's not as good as you could think. We all have fiber internet (mine being the lowest connection) and still had frame delay at 4 most of the time. With a friend that has undecent internet (like 300mbps in download and 200 in upload) we managed to have 2 frames.

Also the game seems to visually lag a little bit online when a lot of stuff is happening on PS3 even in processing mode.

Oh forgot to say it but I tested GGXrd online with a bunch of friends. It's not as good as you could think. We all have fiber internet (mine being the lowest connection) and still had frame delay at 4 most of the time. With a friend that has undecent internet (like 300mbps in download and 200 in upload) we managed to have 2 frames.

Also the game seems to visually lag a little bit online when a lot of stuff is happening on PS3 even in processing mode.
I know Sixfortyfive says this a lot, but U/D speeds are generally not the limiting factors in netcode performance.

I know Sixfortyfive says this a lot, but U/D speeds are generally not the limiting factors in netcode performance.
Ping and distance are really needed for a proper comparison. 4 frame delay would mean 128ms Ping at least. Can't imagine anyone being that far apart in France.

I think its either Kim Thanh or Thanh Long Restaraunt.
edit: url link is goofing on me.

My sister ate there last month and brought me some amazing fried salted ginger crab. There is so much good food in the city but its hard to get motivated to get down there especially with bad traffic/weather and parking. Places I used to deem "safe" are now not ideal when carrying a little toddler and little girl around. I will probably catch the Twitch stream of Capcom Cup instead.

If you are going, take pictures for GAF. I really think CC is going to be amazing. Are you on the dark side now (game development) GB? If you are, I owe you a congratulatory beer.

Nah still a senior lol

I'll check out the spot. I know what you mean, though. Brenda's is my favorite restaurant in the city but it's in a slightly shady area. There are places between me and Market st I'd definitely only walk through when my girlfriend's not around. I don't know if I'm gonna go to CC if it's reserved seating and basically sold out.

Sayad

Ping and distance are really needed for a proper comparison. 4 frame delay would mean 128ms Ping at least. Can't imagine anyone being that far apart in France.
4 frames delay is about 66ms ping.

Thomasorus, to see how efficient the game's netcode is, try speedtest.net's test and chose the location and ISP of the guy you were playing with while running the test to see the exact ping between you two.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Well, KI did shipped without story mode....we are not that far from there
This is a valid point.

Titanfall.

This is already a thing as devs try to hit their marketing dictated release dates.

Arguably it would probably be better to release a working game that isn't feature complete or with limited content.

A Destiny vs Unity/Watch_Dogs situation.
Well, MP-only games aren't new, I mean ones that had those modes in active development and they weren't ready for launch. Titanfall wasn't supposed to have SP, it was selling SP-in-MP from the jump.

Top Bottom