• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 1-7 | Guest characters are banned

Kind of underwhelmed that it isn't as big a jump as any of the previous SF series in terms of visual tone. 2 -> Alpha -> 3 -> 4 where all huge jumps in style, but so far this looks like 4 with cleaner graphics and air combos.

But whatever, if this is what it takes for Capcom to make new fighting games then that's just the way it is.

surely Q will be included this time.

and let's be honest, the elephant in the room:

Who is going to be cut, or more importantly, who DESERVES to be cut?

Not sure, if I'm impressed with the graphics/artstyle yet, but it's early.

It looks pretty much like SF4, but as another step up.

Could be better, but could also have been a lot worse. It still might be some sort of F2P abomination too.

But thank god Ryu made it in. Let the "OMG PLEASE LET THEM ADD KEN!!!" roster begging begin.

....and too late.

Horseress

jBlkLMHIEb74r.png

Awesome logo, awesome trailer!

And shoutouts to all top players who appeared in the trailer! Even fucking Viscant is in!

I gotta say, the logo looks much better than SF4's bathroom graffiti letters. It actually properly invokes nostalgia for the original but also looks like it came from a modern game.

Also, demo booth at evo, maybe? How is this going to work now that EVO is MS-sponsored?

Kikujiro

I think the graphics are not definitive, remember how SFIV looked at the reveal and how they improved the characters? If it's coming in 2016 there's plenty of time.

Sheroking

I think the graphics are not definitive, remember how SFIV looked at the reveal and how they improved the characters? If it's coming in 2016 there's plenty of time.

I think we can pretty safely put the development of this game starting in July/August. That's when Dimps started advertising and Ono was relocated.

That's a really early build.

Kimosabae

Banned

Uhhh, no? The reveal and the final product look pretty much the same. Some minor tweaks to the artstyle and that was it.

.la1n

Kind of bummed that this wasn't able to be experienced during the actual show as intended but still an awesome announcement. Can't wait to see more.

Kimosabae

Banned
People always feel confident in thinking final products will drastically differ from reveals for some reason. That very, very rarely happens, unless there's some severe delay in development Perfect Dark style.

Crocodile

• I can't say I expected no version on the Xbone but others seemed to think it was likely so kudos to them.
  • I'm really curious to see how they handle the roster. They COMPLETELY exhausted the nostalgia angle with SF4 so I'm curious if they are going to try to go for that same well.
  • Of course I think its good that Ryu and Chun-Li made it in but I'm a bit disappointed that they are stuck with their classic looks. I loved for example Bogard's transition from KOF/FF to Mark of the Wolves and I'd love to see some of the SF stalwarts move in that same direction as well. If they just port over SF4's cast and designs over to SFV I'd be disappointed. System mechanics will of course make it a new game but I wish the character design would reflect that as well.

Coffee, stop being such a downer. SF4 is a great game, despite its faults.

I'm a critic by nature :p
Besides which, a company's mentality is a great predictor of the quality of their product, and Capcom's is in the gutter. As far as I'm concerned SF4 just became worse by the version. Which is why I don't expect SF5 to be very good.

Now, don't think I want to hate the game. I'm just not the type to get excited if I think the company is wrongheaded because I've seen the pessimism to be warranted too many times. I don't think the game is likely to be a good product, but I do want it to be one. If it turns out such, you can bet I'll be singing its praises. I just need to see it first.

Sheroking

Besides which, a company's mentality is a great predictor of the quality of their product, and Capcom's is in the gutter. As far as I'm concerned SF4 just became worse by the version. Which is why I don't expect SF5 to be very good.

What kind of drunk do you have to be to think Vanilla or AE were better than AE 2012 or Ultra?

I mean, not that vanilla doesn't have a unique charm.

Horseress

Now, don't think I want to hate the game. I'm just not the type to get excited if I think the company is wrongheaded because I've seen the pessimism to be warranted too many times. I don't think the game is likely to be a good product, but I do want it to be one. If it turns out such, you can bet I'll be singing its praises. I just need to see it first.

I understand your skepticism, but man, it's a new Street fucking Fighter game, not a new version, a whole new game! I'm sorry it's hard for me to think about balance right now

I understand your skepticism, but man, it's a new Street fucking Fighter game, not a new version, a whole new game! I'm sorry it's hard for me to think about balance right now

Not talking about balance in the slightest, but system design, art direction, music, mostly.

alstein

What kind of drunk do you have to be to think Vanilla or AE were better than AE 2012 or Ultra?

I mean, not that vanilla doesn't have a unique charm.

Some folks think Super was the best version of SF4. It's still my favorite because it didn't have the BS of Vanilla yet defensive styles were strongest in Super (and it was the only version where my best char wasn't low-tier)

My big hope for SF5 is that they put good thought into controls and input priority. They really need Mike Z to give them lessons on how to handle inputs.

pixelish

PS4 = THE current-gen console for fighting games

Xrd, SF5 & MKX vs KI

it's a shame really since not many people in the FGC are playing KI because they don't have the console and with the announcement of SF5 console exclusivity, it gives them even less reasons to get an Xbone.

Beats

I can't say that I'm a fan of the art direction/character models shown in the trailer. It looks kind of bad. :x

Shito

Heh, it leaked a bit early.
Knew about it for two weeks. :)
Didn't know it would be for PC as well, though.
Apparently, they're aiming for a 2016 release, and they are still unsure about the pricing model (heard they are looking at KI *very closely*).

I suppose we'll get a little bit more info next week during Capcom Cup.

so do you guys think that sony gave Capcom the development money for SF5 to make it an exclusive?

If Capcom is in so much financial trouble they need moneyhats to create a new entry in one of their greatest and most successful franchises, than Riposte has some explaining to do for his company

Heh, it leaked a bit early.
Knew about it for two weeks. :)
Didn't know it would be for PC as well, though.
Apparently, they're aiming for a 2016 release, and they are still unsure about the pricing model (heard they are looking at KI *very closely*).

I suppose we'll get a little bit more info next week during Capcom Cup.

Please, no KI model.
And this is probably why Ono urged press to come to Capcom Cup.
Playable SF V

Top Bottom