• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 1-7 | Guest characters are banned

Sayad

How does arcade software typically update? How are they keeping up with USFIV's patches? Can it not be more frequent?
Aren't most arcade fighting games require an always online connection now? If I remember correctly, this was the main reason why TTT2 arcade cabinets weren't possible in the US.

Azure J

Watching this Guilty Gear salty suite on Art's stream makes me wonder how/why I didn't get into this series for real years ago. It's so snappy and crazy.

It's Capcom. They'll go with a stamina system and let you press select to buy extra bars of EX meter during a match. Jump HK -> Stand HP -> Shoryuken -> FADC -> pay $0.50 for 2 EX meters -> Shoryuken -> FADC -> pay $1 for extra 50% damage on your Ultra.

They ain't namco!!!! Let me level me stun gauge up to 200. Good lord, haha.

I hope they go DOTA model, and be smart on how to make money on the extra stuff. I think getting the player base up is a good goal and keeping everybody engaged.

Actually, whatever they do, not the namco way. I sound like a broken record, but not the namco way!! I swear to god if there are level up bars and shit.....

Dahbomb

This post is dedicated to Dahbomb

fgoty6pxai.png

Do not avert your eyes.

And people think I would get sued for calling out blatant as fuck money hats.

Dlent

These Satou matches are nuts; the difference in game speed becomes so obvious when you switch the same top players between the games back to back.

USD

TOPANGA LEAGUE 4 (A) ROUND 11

http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv193028309 - Free viewing period over.

Today's matches:

Uryo (Chun-Li) vs. Momochi (Ken)
4-7 ☆ ●●○○○●●●●●
Umehara (Evil Ryu) vs. Michael-tan (Ken)
7-3 ☆ ●○○○●●○○○
Bonchan (Sagat) vs. Momochi (Ken)
5-7 ☆ ●○○●○●●●○●●
sako (Elena) vs. Michael-tan (Ken)
7-2 ☆ ○○●○●○○○
Umehara (Evil Ryu) vs. Uryo (C.Viper)
7-1 ☆ ○○○●○○○

JoeInky

Going to my first tournament for Smash WiiU today, I think it's going to be streamed at twitch.tv/projectmanchester but I'm not sure.

Doesn't start for 2 and a half hours anyway, and then the main event is two hours after that.

Going to try repping the Ganondorf until I see someone pick Duck Hunt, Rosalina or Captain Falcon. No point throwing a set like that.

vocab

So hearing about the bad netcode on xrd makes me sad. I know its too early but bb got worse for me, and I'm a bit worried that its just gonna suck online.

Zissou

capcom is still milking assets it seems ;_;

I'm really disappointed at the art direction also. It basicaly looks like a grittier SF4 which will be fine at the end of the day, but nothing I'm hyped about.

Philly Mahvel got me dying over here. I was too busy to make it to the venue today.

Trying to make it a bit more realistic seems like the wrong way to go- it's a lot easier to make sense of cartoony people doing crazy street fighter stuff than it is a real-ish looking dude chucking a fireball- no mental congruency. The dark gritty look also makes it a lot harder to 'read' i.e., the characters blend in more with the background and it's harder to tell what's going on, so it's possibly detrimental to gameplay/spectating as well. Re-used assets is some shit for sure.

Kimosabae

Banned
So hearing about the bad netcode on xrd makes me sad. I know its too early but bb got worse for me, and I'm a bit worried that its just gonna suck online.

Why does it seem like all the fighting games that seem to really need to have great netcode tend to fail more than succeed?

It's like Arcsys is doing its best to make sure the GG franchise never truly succeeds outside JPN.

Luckily, I have a scene where I live, and I don't like online anyway; but this shit is imperative at this point.

Trying to make it a bit more realistic seems like the wrong way to go- it's a lot easier to make sense of cartoony people doing crazy street fighter stuff than it is a real-ish looking dude chucking a fireball- no mental congruency. The dark gritty look also makes it a lot harder to 'read' i.e., the characters blend in more with the background and it's harder to tell what's going on, so it's possibly detrimental to gameplay/spectating as well. Re-used assets is some shit for sure.

Dude, you're really stretching your analysis of 3 seconds of footage.

Dude, you're really stretching your analysis of 3 seconds of footage.
Doesn't seem any different than people calling it a fusion of 3S and SFIV art based on three seconds of footage.

Really, it's too early to call anything at all (except Capcom's need of cash right now).

Sayad

GGXrd's missions mode might just be my favorite fighting game single player mode ever!
There's a Millia mix-up blocking trail, lol.

Regarding Topanga League

Sako looks poised to win again. Despite Daigo being undefeated thus far and having the best game differential, the head to head result between Daigo and Sako is what will decide the tournament. Momochi has never beaten Sako in these tournaments, and Sako has made Kens look free with his Elena. Against Michael Tan he went 10-3 and against Momochi he went 3-0. Furthermore, Daigo has never beaten Sako in these long sets (3 wins for Sako) dating back to Online Gods Garden. Daigo has only beaten Sako in a FT3.

BadWolf

Regarding Topanga League

Sako looks poised to win again. Despite Daigo being undefeated thus far and having the best game differential, the head to head result between Daigo and Sako is what will decide the tournament. Momochi has never beaten Sako in these tournaments, and Sako has made Kens look free with his Elena. Against Michael Tan he went 10-3 and against Momochi he went 3-0. Furthermore, Daigo has never beaten Sako in these long sets (3 wins for Sako) dating back to Online Gods Garden. Daigo has only beaten Sako in a FT3.

Thanks, interested to see how it goes.

Wasn't there also a FT50 between Daigo and Sako which Daigo won or am I misremembering?

Thanks, interested to see how it goes.

Wasn't there also a FT50 between Daigo and Sako which Daigo won or am I misremembering?

He did rather convincingly. In tournaments it's a different story though.

●on gods2
sako 0-3 Daigo
sako 10-8 Daigo
●TL1
sako 3-0 Daigo
●TL2
sako 2-3 Daigo
sako 11-8 Daigo
●TLA
sako 7-3 Daigo
●TL3
sako 3-0 Daigo
●TL4
sako 2-3 Daigo

★TOTAL
sako 38-28 Daigo

BadWolf

He did rather convincingly. In tournaments it's a different story though.

●on gods2
sako 0-3 Daigo
sako 10-8 Daigo
●TL1
sako 3-0 Daigo
●TL2
sako 2-3 Daigo
sako 11-8 Daigo
●TLA
sako 7-3 Daigo
●TL3
sako 3-0 Daigo
●TL4
sako 2-3 Daigo

★TOTAL
sako 38-28 Daigo

Ah yeah, that doesn't look very encouraging for Daigo. Here's hoping he studied up. He destroyed Uryo this time it looks like but last time he got owned by his Viper at that TGS tournament.

Since you're asking a lot about this I'll repost some infos I got (and already told you, like the PS4 exclusive) :

- No arcade version was planned. Now they are thinking about it but post PS4 launch.
- The story of the game is between SF4 and SF3, not after SF3 like Ian thinks it is. Can't say more without breaking the off but trust me on this.

Horseress

Since you're asking a lot about this I'll repost some infos I got (and already told you, like the PS4 exclusive) :

- No arcade version was planned. Now they are thinking about it but post PS4 launch.
- The story of the game is between SF4 and SF3, not after SF3 like Ian thinks it is. Can't say more without breaking the off but trust me on this.

That's great news! We may get it sooner than we thought

CPS2

You know a couple weeks ago or whenever it was, when the SF2 stickers got put up on Line messenger, I noticed that it said "sony digital entertainment" on the stickers. The thought did pop into my head at the time that maybe they licensed the SF brand, and ever since the hadouken cabs thing I've been thinking that kind of viral advertisement can only really be justified with an exclusive SF game. But yeah I'm kinda... not excited, but definitely following to see how it all turns out. Its good for the PS4, makes it slightly more likely that I'd get one. Its just really hard to have an opinion on the game when we know almost nothing about it.

That's great news! We may get it sooner than we thought

Between SF4 and SF3 seems about right. I think SF3 is probably always going to be stuck right at the end as people prefer Shadowloo over the Illuminati as villains.

I'd rather just put SF3 in its own little world and port over characters like Alex, though.

No arcade version is hugely worrying. SFxT left a sour taste in my mouth and I was hoping that an arcade version would allow them to avoid repeating that mistake via allowing them to drill down to the game's core mechanics rather than worrying about all the £40 package fluff.

BadWolf

Awesome, screw that wait for a year thing Tekken etc. like to do for the console version.

Thonomasorus <3

I have to say that I am semi-glad I didn't get that Capcom job in the end. Helping to promote a brand new SF game will be way harder than just working with the community.

I still would like to go into CM work at some point though.

I have to say that I am semi-glad I didn't get that Capcom job in the end. Helping to promote a brand new SF game will be way harder than just working with the community.

I still would like to go into CM work at some point though.

Lol Huw you passed the CM interview for Capcom UK too ?

rocK`

Banned
Does anyone have a list (or db if we're actually esports) of top 3 usf4 player/character since its release?

I assume the character variety is insane.

Horseress

Between SF4 and SF3 seems about right. I think SF3 is probably always going to be stuck right at the end as people prefer Shadowloo over the Illuminati as villains.

I'd rather just put SF3 in its own little world and port over characters like Alex, though.

Yeah, I like that direction too. We may get "younger" versions of SFIII characters or maybe their relatives or something like that

No arcade version is hugely worrying. SFxT left a sour taste in my mouth and I was hoping that an arcade version would allow them to avoid repeating that mistake via allowing them to drill down to the game's core mechanics rather than worrying about all the £40 package fluff.

I get your point but I don't think an arcade release would have changed much for SfxT

Lol Huw you passed the CM interview for Capcom UK too ?

No, I flunked the interview. :p Being a community guy isn't the same thing as being able to run a social media presence, I guess.

It's a nice what-could-have-been but instead I'm going to approach the community management puzzle in my own way and see what I learn.

Devid905

If that's the case, then it's very likely we will see Q & Alex (and possibly his buddy, Tom, before he got injured) as part of the roster.

:)

If that's the case, then it's very likely we will see Q & Alex (and possibly his buddy, Tom, before he got injured) as part of the roster.

:)

Q only appeared in SF3:3S, which IIRC takes place after the first SF3.

We're not going to get Q. It's going to be most of the WWs, Cammy, Fei, one or two popular Alpha and 3S characters, one or two curveballs, one or two returning SF4 characters
Rufus
and new cast.

Top Bottom