• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 1-7 | Guest characters are banned

me neither... Since most balancing is done on the arcade versions.

They could always launch an extensive beta test on PS4/PC since patching restrictions are much more lax now than they were last gen (plus hotfixing technology has developed greatly since then). Don't mistake the benefit of having an arcade release first with the benefit of having early and wide loketests.

Ideally the arcade and console versions would exist side by side with updates being pushed simultaneously to both. If the news is true, wonder if it's a bellwether for the arcade scene in Japan dying out.

NEO0MJ

Q only appeared in SF3:3S, which IIRC takes place after the first SF3.

We're not going to get Q. It's going to be most of the WWs, Cammy, Fei, one or two popular Alpha and 3S characters, one or two curveballs, one or two returning SF4 characters
Rufus
and new cast.

Well, isn't he based on a background character in Ken's stage from SF II? SO technically he's an old school character!

AAK

True but they can also just patch the game like Capcom is doing right now with Ultra. Beats waiting an entire year or more to play the game.

That might have happened... but what if the issue is something in the complete core design of the game like say SFxT that no matter how much they patch it, the fundamentals of the game need to be altered which can only be done with another disc release. In the latter case it can pretty much destroy the game like what happened to SFxT.

I honestly think an initial arcade release for SFxT would have CONSIDERABLY helped rescue that game.

Other than a few hiccups on the first day GGXrd online has been really smooth for me. No more errors and the laggy connection I had with some Gaffers in previous games seems to be non-existent here. Was playing with Q and the frame delay was really low/smooth compared to P4 where it was a 1 bar connection with a lot of noticeable delay.

And the story mode is the best ArcSys has ever done imo, the presentation alone completely beats all of their previous games. And the events that occur were pretty fun to see unfold, especially towards the end.

Today is my birthday, and Playstation Experience is also today? That's great! I'm eager to see what the event gives us in terms of fighting games.

The Lab Zero folks will be there, and we may see new info for Mortal Kombat X and perhaps the official reveal for Street Fighter V? I'll eagerly await it.

BadWolf

Those Topanga matches are already available on youtube, guys. Daigo is just dominating.

That might have happened... but what if the issue is something in the complete core design of the game like say SFxT that no matter how much they patch it, the fundamentals of the game need to be altered which can only be done with another disc release. In the latter case it can pretty much destroy the game like what happened to SFxT.

I honestly think an initial arcade release for SFxT would have CONSIDERABLY helped rescue that game.

If a game needs to be changed that much then it's just a bad game.

pixelish

Nobody streaming anime games other than marvel at NEC or are the pools just not being streamed?
funkyp going to stream some later
ZIqxx7q.png

People still go to arcades? Last one I went to was Starbaseand it was empty. I think they eventually closed. A barcade sounds more appealing with booze not games being the money generator makes more sense. Basically a good excuse to drink and play games in a more social setting.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Since you're asking a lot about this I'll repost some infos I got (and already told you, like the PS4 exclusive) :

- No arcade version was planned. Now they are thinking about it but post PS4 launch.
- The story of the game is between SF4 and SF3, not after SF3 like Ian thinks it is. Can't say more without breaking the off but trust me on this.

Thank you very much for those informations.

petghost

Banned
They pretty much had to do it now, even if they were originally doing it in a week.

yeah it seems like that trailer was originally intended for capcom cup, seeing as how it was incredibly focused on the FGC and had CC logos in the backround. seems like a strange trailer to aim at the general public.

People still go to arcades? Last one I went to was Starbaseand it was empty. I think they eventually closed. A barcade sounds more appealing with booze not games being the money generator makes more sense. Basically a good excuse to drink and play games in a more social setting.

In Austin I went to Pinballz last month, it seemed pretty packed during the weekend I went. It's larger than other arcades though (there is a lot of floor space for pinball machines), it had a SF4 and SFXT setup, and there were also people on them. MVC2 was also there and I played a few matches on it then left when no one else wanted to play me (There is always that empty feeling when you just leave the cab for the AI to kill your team because no one else wants to play). The arcade stick was funky though, because even though it was a bat stick, I felt that some of the corners weren't registering as well as it should, making dashing back and doing qcb motions awkward. They also had all the House of the Dead games but when playing them, I notice the guns weren't really calibrated properly and I had to aim off more to the right to land my shots correctly.

Gatti Towns seem to be doing decent in Austin. It's basically a pizza place with an arcade.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
If a game needs to be changed that much then it's just a bad game.
People tell me that SFxTK is pretty solid now but it seems like nobody stuck around long enough to actually confirm.

Bad first impressions definitely can kill.

kirblar

People tell me that SFxTK is pretty solid now but it seems like nobody stuck around long enough to actually confirm.

Bad first impressions definitely can kill.
It was much better, but there were core gameplay issues that remained (whiff punishing being the best thing you can do in the game) that weren't going to be easy to patch out and were always going to be a drag on the game.

WarRock

Just wanted to say that Fightcade is fucking awesome. Just connecting and playing, and way smoother than anything other than Skullgirls.

Tizoc

NEOMJ, welcome back! I saw you were banned for a while.

Just a heads up that
This year marks Tekken series' 20th anniversary
Can't make threads atm so thought I'd let you guys know :V

Top Bottom