• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 1-7 | Guest characters are banned

Kalamari

What are the odds of the gameplay shown in the SFV trailer not being representative of the final product? I can can totally foresee Capcom using a rehashed SFIV engine and warmed-over graphics for a new game, but what if Capcopcom was forced to throw something together at the last minute for the conference. Knowing the Japanese, it would probably take a couple years to put together a new SF engine and graphics, so maybe for the sake of timeliness they decided to use the old engine.

This Sony deal does sound like it's relatively early in development.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
As a contractual/freelance video production employee, I have the contacts to make things work. The big issue with things like this are some of the smaller channels that only have medium-small exposure and have zero resources to regain control of their channel. Sadly, the majority of the time, Strike system usage like this comes from Japanese companies, who don't have PR reps that even understand what is going on.
This is true; I'm pretty sure everyone is in agreement that the system is a bit fucked and approaching guilty but proven innocent.

Based on posts on this site, I've read and seen what people's expectations are for graphics. In the Tekken 7 thread, there were literally "opinions" and "gut reactions" that really were extremely hilarious at best. Like the one person asking why the game doesn't look like Blood Vengeance CG. I cannot take that seriously. I can only laugh.

Tekken_blood_vengeance_xiaoyu_vs_alisa_2.jpg

All of these "shit" posts combined together can reflect really badly for the devs. These devs ARE readings forums like neogaf. And it was especially annoying for Tekken 7 because they said the game was at 50% capacity with graphics.

jbj2SFyyR201RE.jpg

As for SFV, could it look better? Yes. Could the character models be improved? Yes. Is it ugly? NOPE.

I already said it's fine to criticize and give your "gut" reaction. However, do it in a way that doesn't come off as displeasing and doesn't provide any talking points other than "it looks like shit." A drive by post saying the game looks like "shit" doesn't help the developer that's working hard to make this game.

I'm sure Ono had to go through a lot of hurdles to get SFV made. If you want to criticize early footage, do it in a constructive way.
Why are you judging gut, hyperbolic reactions for being anything other than that? I assure you, the developers know paying attention to that isn't useful or indicative of much.

What are the odds of the gameplay shown in the SFV trailer not being representative of the final product? I can can totally foresee Capcom using a rehashed SFIV engine and warmed-over graphics for a new game, but what if Capcopcom was forced to throw something together at the last minute for the conference. Knowing the Japanese, it would probably take a couple years to put together a new SF engine and graphics, so maybe for the sake of timeliness they decided to use the old engine.

This Sony deal does sound like it's relatively early in development.
Pretty low.

It's early in development, but those are some pretty real and new assets they're using there, and it's not exactly a prototype we're looking at. Almost assuredly closer to their goals as it isn't just ripped out of SFIV even though it shares stylistic elements, but I think the visual effects can change.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I like SFV's look. SFIV looks not so good so any kind of upgrade is better. It's obvious the retail game will have a billion more particle effects and a nice shine to it.

Sayah

Why are you judging gut, hyperbolic reactions for being anything other than that? I assure you, the developers know paying attention to that isn't useful or indicative of much.

If you've been reading my post, I already answer your question.

It's not very constructive and it's meaningless and it's bitter and it's deflating the hype for other people that are excited for a new entry in the series.

Producer

man that SF5 thread is a mess lol. people saying it looks exactly like Ultra, looks like Ultra on PC, looks like a remaster, dang.

I mean, its like night and day for me

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
man that SF5 thread is a mess lol. people saying it looks exactly like Ultra, looks like Ultra on PC, looks like a remaster, dang.

I mean, its like night and day for me

Same people saying Tekken 7 looks like 6, MKX looks like 9, etc. These people are just saying things because they already made up their mind about the games. They aren't going to play it, watch streams of it, etc, so it all looks the same to them.

Producer

Same people saying Tekken 7 looks like 6, MKX looks like 9, etc. These people are just saying things because they already made up their mind about the games. They aren't going to play it, watch streams of it, etc, so it all looks the same to them.

Yeah i remember that as well. It just kinda grinded my gears a bit. oh well.

Kalamari

I would have loved to see the art of SFV go in more of an anime direction. The current style is just stale and rather boring to look at.

Sayad

What are the odds of the gameplay shown in the SFV trailer not being representative of the final product?
The models, which I think look good enough, are probably a safe representation of how they'd end up in the final game. Lighting, special effects, shaders and other engine side tech could see a lot of improvements before release.

Sayad

You guys think Capcom will switch up what is shown tomorrow? Perhaps an extended/alternate cut?
Not switch it, but might have other trailers. What we saw looked like a teaser targeted at FGs enthusiasts, with heavy concentration on the community and competition side. They need something with more flash for those who aren't interested in fighting games much.

You guys think Capcom will switch up what is shown tomorrow? Perhaps an extended/alternate cut?
These trailers take a lot of time to make. The only way we'll see something different tomorrow is if this was an intentional leak, and they already had another video planned.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
These trailers take a lot of time to make. The only way we'll see something different tomorrow is if this was an intentional leak, and they already had another video planned.

99% sure it wasn't intentional, but I hope we see more. Considering what Ono said about CapcomCup and the press, it might even be playable next week.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I just figure they'd have a lot of B-Roll of the gameplay sitting around and they could chop it in last minute within a day, if they wanted to. Though it seems like they were just using PSX to set up for Capcom Cup's full reveal anyways (or PSX gave them a chance to tease it early).

EDIT: Assuming what was leaked today was for PSX and not Capcom Cup, I haven't checked the PSX thread to confirm.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
So yea, everything's clear on my channel.

And just to sum up what happened, I never got a strike for the Trailer being posted on my channel. Got a strike for showing comparison screens between SF4 to SF5 for a few seconds. Then I reuploaded that video without any of the screenshots, and still got a 2nd strike.

Either way, both Strikes were preemptive and everything's fine now.

Sayad

So about SFV model, I don't think it's good to go with the KI model from the get go, SF is a much bigger series and can probably sell north of 2 millions as a full $60 game. The best way in my opinion is to release the game with enough features to justify a retail release at full price, then switch to KI's model for the updates while still releasing late full retail versions with some extras like USF4 with all the DLC stuff.

Hopefully they'll show us a small glimpse SF5 gameplay at Capcom Cup. We saw very early gameplay of SFxT so it might happen again.

This is what I'm hoping for as well. Ono said there was going to be a special announcement and invited the press to attend Capcom Cup. It'd be pointless to make a fuss out of showing the same exact thing they're going to show this weekend at the PS Experience.

So hopefully it's more than that. Maybe an actual match(something like Jin vs Ryu when SFxT was first shown) and even a target date. Personally I'm hoping for Spring 2016. That's probably wishful thinking but GG Xrd was shown in May 2013 and came out this month. About a year and a half later, I'd love it if Capcom can do the same for SFV and get it out right before EVO. That would be a amazing EVO to watch as everybody is grinding like crazy to figure the game out as much as possible with only a month or so to spare.

So about SFV model, I don't think it's good to go with the KI model from the get go, SF is a much bigger series and can probably sell north of 2 millions as a full $60 game. The best way in my opinion is to release the game with enough features to justify a retail release at full price, then switch to KI's model for the updates while still releasing late full retail versions with some extras like USF4 with all the DLC stuff.

It's Capcom. They'll go with a stamina system and let you press select to buy extra bars of EX meter during a match. Jump HK -> Stand HP -> Shoryuken -> FADC -> pay $0.50 for 2 EX meters -> Shoryuken -> FADC -> pay $1 for extra 50% damage on your Ultra.

Westlo

Just do what they did this gen for IV from super onwards.

SFV Disc 2016
SFV Hyper DLC + Disc release 2018
SFV Championship Edition DLC + Disc release 2020
SFV Championship Edition 2021 Balance patch *nerf yun edition*

Do it capgods.

This is what I'm hoping for as well. Ono said there was going to be a special announcement and invited the press to attend Capcom Cup. It'd be pointless to make a fuss out of showing the same exact thing they're going to show this weekend at the PS Experience.

So hopefully it's more than that. Maybe an actual match(something like Jin vs Ryu when SFxT was first shown) and even a target date. Personally I'm hoping for Spring 2016. That's probably wishful thinking but GG Xrd was shown in May 2013 and came out this month. About a year and a half later, I'd love it if Capcom can do the same for SFV and get it out right before EVO. That would be a amazing EVO to watch as everybody is grinding like crazy to figure the game out as much as possible with only a month or so to spare.

I think Spring 2016 is a very realistic release date for the game.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This is also a good way to go, but I think the key thing moving forward is finding ways to improve the game and monetize part of the userbase to fund development and increase value for consumers.

There's so many ways to do that, but ultimately it comes down to creating a pipeline of content that is preferably aesthetic on top of characters IMO. That's what has people playing games like TF2 and Minecraft to this day. Just costume after costume after costume at a steadier pace than we've seen, and one that leverages the advantages of next-gen online platforms. You can move on-disc DLC to compatibility updates (which are virtually the same thing but the latter upsets fewer people), and those updates can download automatically.

Capcom has always been one of the best (if not the?) when it comes to getting the most for your buck in terms of character DLC so that doesn't worry me, but I really do still think they're stuck in the dark ages when it comes to making their games a platform and a service instead of a series of updates. Ultra shows a bit of hope though.

kirblar

I don't trust the Japanese to implement a F2P model for a fighting game well because of the lack of a PC culture there.

Besides, that would never fly at arcades- it'll have to be a full game.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't trust the Japanese to implement a F2P model for a fighting game well because of the lack of a PC culture there.

Besides, that would never fly at arcades- it'll have to be a full game.
How does arcade software typically update? How are they keeping up with USFIV's patches? Can it not be more frequent?

At least to me, it doesn't appear like a rigid roadblock.

Top Bottom