• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 1-7 | Guest characters are banned

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
At any rate, I don't think Max is in trouble for a second, and Capcom USA would help reconcile whatever discrepancies might arise.

As a contractual/freelance video production employee, I have the contacts to make things work. The big issue with things like this are some of the smaller channels that only have medium-small exposure and have zero resources to regain control of their channel. Sadly, the majority of the time, Strike system usage like this comes from Japanese companies, who don't have PR reps that even understand what is going on.

Malice215

This Wesker play takes me back to the days when The Break was poppin for Vanilla with NJ, NJ and Philly in the building every week. #RIP

Sayah

I think you are too dismissive of people's opinions and gut reactions to things when they don't align with yours on occasion (maybe I do it too).

Like you said, there is only a few seconds of footage. What do people/capcom expect people to think? Have it both ways? If they love it awesome, if they don't, hey, it's only a few moments, don't judge us.

The whole point of this little teaser is to gauge people to see what their reaction is to this early look. Your first gut thoughts when you see something are most times the most honest. There is nothing else on display to judge but the few snippets of gameplay and graphics.

I am just speaking for me here:

Gameplay is king, but graphics matter more than you are giving credit for. And more in depth to that is feel, physics, the art direction. If i love the mechanics, I am going to be looking at this stuff for a good long time. This all matters to me. I like looking at good art and animation. Maybe these people are simplifying saying it "looks shit", when they don't like the art or how these guys are animating. i admit, it's annoying.

You say SFV looks beautiful, just from that teaser. Just those few moments? Why is your positive quick take more acceptable? I don't think it does personally. It looks rough (like a year or so out), but they put it out there for people to judge, so we shall judge.

Let me preface, I really like SF4. But just from they have shown,I wish they went in a different direction with art direction, and the physics and the inertia of how they are moving looks the the same vein of SF4. And those character models are not blowing me away. I have been playing since 2008. I wanted something different.

I am sure it will be fine with it releases. Models will look great. It will animate smooth. I'll be there day 1 of course. I will probably like the mechanics. But we are judging in the now.

I wanted a 3S like reboot (like what I wanted with Tekken 7, haha). My dream was doing like Xrd engine, models looking like the SF2 anime kinda. Maybe having a run, or just moving around different, dashing different. heavier jumping, but more explosion on take off. Things like these. Maybe it will happen on final product, who knows.

I would not be so dismissive of peoples gut reactions. Maybe they are wrong. maybe you are wrong. Maybe I am wrong. I do see your point when it's hyperbole and it's annoying. But there is nuggets of truth in there maybe.

Also on COD, I don't think alot of players post here, of the huge base at least. Just from people I know who play, they play for the mechanics and gameplay, not the graphics really. I think they all admit it doesn't look that great, but love that framerate. My brother moved to Titanfall and Destiny. I asked him why, he said he was bored of how COD plays, but he said he also wanted to play in a different universe and "it looks basically the same every year".

Based on posts on this site, I've read and seen what people's expectations are for graphics. In the Tekken 7 thread, there were literally "opinions" and "gut reactions" that really were extremely hilarious at best. Like the one person asking why the game doesn't look like Blood Vengeance CG. I cannot take that seriously. I can only laugh.

Tekken_blood_vengeance_xiaoyu_vs_alisa_2.jpg

All of these "shit" posts combined together can reflect really badly for the devs. These devs ARE readings forums like neogaf. And it was especially annoying for Tekken 7 because they said the game was at 50% capacity with graphics.

jbj2SFyyR201RE.jpg

As for SFV, could it look better? Yes. Could the character models be improved? Yes. Is it ugly? NOPE.

I already said it's fine to criticize and give your "gut" reaction. However, do it in a way that doesn't come off as displeasing and doesn't provide any talking points other than "it looks like shit." A drive by post saying the game looks like "shit" doesn't help the developer that's working hard to make this game.

I'm sure Ono had to go through a lot of hurdles to get SFV made. If you want to criticize early footage, do it in a constructive way.

fader

Based on posts on this site, I've read and seen what people's expectations are for graphics. In the Tekken 7 thread, there were literally "opinions" and "gut reactions" that really were extremely hilarious at best. Like the one person asking why the game doesn't look like Blood Vengeance CG. I cannot take that seriously. I can only laugh.

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140122031825/tekken/en/images/8/8b/Tekken_blood_vengeance_xiaoyu_vs_alisa_2.jpg IMG]

All of these "shit" posts combined together can reflect really badly for the devs. These devs ARE readings forums like neogaf. And it was especially annoying for Tekken 7 because they said the game was at 50% capacity with graphics.

[IMG]http://i6.minus.com/jbj2SFyyR201RE.jpg IMG]

As for SFV, could it look better? Yes. Could the character models be improved? Yes. Is it ugly? NOPE.

I already said it's fine to criticize and give your "gut" reaction. However, do it in a way that doesn't come off as displeasing and doesn't provide any talking points other than "it looks like shit." A drive by post saying the game looks like "shit" doesn't help the developer that's working hard to make this game.

I'm sure Ono had to go through a lot of hurdles to get SFV made. If you want to criticize early footage, do it in a constructive way.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I am fine with people criticizing but in Neogaf it has been extremely prevalent to do "drive-by" comments for hopes for a laugh. It's not beneficial for anyone but the person posting it just to get attention. We rarely ever get well written analysis on why they think "the graphics suck", "art-style looks like sf4", "why didn't they make it look like (enter game), or any drive-by comments like that. And with how American companies beefing up demo's to show on E3 that do not share the same look as the final product, it's sad and damaging to see the player base focus solely on graphical fidelity than anything else when critiquing a game.

Sayah

I agree. I am fine with people criticizing but in Neogaf it has been extremely prevalent to do "drive-by" comments for hopes for a laugh. It's not beneficial for anyone but the person posting it just to get attention. We rarely ever get well written analysis on why they think "the graphics suck", "art-style looks like sf4", "why didn't they make it look like (enter game), or any drive-by comments like that. And with how American companies beefing up demo's to show on E3 that do not share the same look as the final product, it's sad and damaging to see the player base focus solely on graphical fidelity than anything else when critiquing a game.

Yep!!!! that's why I have a beef with those type of posts.

Zissou

Wish I wasn't at work so I could watch Curleh live :( Will have to check the archives.

SFV looks pretty underwhelming. Sticking with the same-ish artstyle while making things a bit darker/grittier seems dumb to me. Wish they went in some kind of more heavily stylized direction.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Wish I wasn't at work so I could watch Curleh live :( Will have to check the archives.

SFV looks pretty underwhelming. Sticking with the same-ish artstyle while making things a bit darker/grittier seems dumb to me. Wish they went in some kind of more heavily stylized direction.

capcom is still milking assets it seems ;_;

Malice215

I'm really disappointed at the art direction also. It basicaly looks like a grittier SF4 which will be fine at the end of the day, but nothing I'm hyped about.

Philly Mahvel got me dying over here. I was too busy to make it to the venue today.

Top Bottom