• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 15-21 | I did the math; it came out to 500,000

Playerbase. Moba's have a shit ton more players than fighting games. LoL has tournament feeds streaming in game when you wait for your next match I've heard. Playing the game will actually get you exposed to the tournament/competitive scene and they shove it in your face.

Street Fighter has none of that in-game exposure. It's all external exposure, meaning only those who are already interested will go out of their way to seek it out. Converting casuals/new comers into viewers is key. But you need to develop that player base first to have something to win over imo. The fact that moba's are better suited for online gameplay than fighters (who rely more on offline meets) probably plays a factor as well (i.e. online community building in game, every game you play in moba is with 9 other people. Fighting games are only 1 at a time).

This is a good point as well.

Taking this into account, this makes sense.

For SFV, please add a Quest Mode like Virtua Fighter 4 Evo, you could call it "Road to Evo" or "Road to Capcom Cup" mode, where the player has to travel around the world trying to make money and win in various tournament (you can use the real tournaments to promote them), the AI players could be based on real players.
It will be the long an meaty mode that casual players need to be happy, outside of the token story mode.

Kikujiro

The problem was obviously not him, but how it happened. It was a freaking long set despite the "we don't have the time for 3/5", the camera was all the time on him while he was touching buttons on an iPad, not really exciting to see. They could've showed us the venue with some fan interviews instead. Of course people are going to react the wrong way, it's like putting a long Killer Instinct exhibition before Marvel 3 Top 8.

Beesuit

For SFV, please add a Quest Mode like Virtua Fighter 4 Evo, you could call it "Road to Evo" or "Road to Capcom Cup" mode, where the player has to travel around the world trying to make money and win in various tournament (you can use the real tournaments to promote them), the AI players could be based on real players.
It will be the long an meaty mode that casual players need to be happy, outside of the token story mode.
Yo this. I remember SC2 on the Dreamcast had a single player adventure mode, where you traveled around the world playing AI matches for points/exp under all sorts of condition (your health slowly drains cause you're poison, or you can only win by ring out for example). World Tour mode and Dramatic Battle for alpha 3 was pretty entertaining in a similar way as well.

------------
And you should definitely try to find a way to build up the last three matches. Having a short break just before winners and losers finals means losing viewers.
Let someone like Mike Ross on the stage make another introduction of the three finalists and hype the crowd or whatever, just not a break screen.
The problem was obviously not him, but how it happened. It was a freaking long set despite the "we don't have the time for 3/5", the camera was all the time on him while he was touching buttons on an iPad, not really exciting to see. They could've showed us the venue with some fan interviews instead. Of course people are going to react the wrong way, it's like putting a long Killer Instinct exhibition before Marvel 3 Top 8.
Good learnings to take and apply to next year. Hopefully the production team will take the criticism on board for a bigger and better CapCup next year.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUHlVdqRlPA

My hype circuits were destroyed. This is too much win.

They should have gotten these guys for Capcom Cup instead. The other guys were so off beat with the majority of their songs... Well it sounded like that to me at least.

ikICe8ZAExf2G.gif

And you should definitely try to find a way to build up the last three matches. Having a short break just before winners and losers finals means losing viewers.
Let someone like Mike Ross on the stage make another introduction of the three finalists and hype the crowd or whatever, just not a break screen.

Solid idea; it'd also be cool if they could emulate parts of the tourney scene just in terms of adding some presence and atmosphere/legitimacy to it all. Basically, making a roster of rival characters exclusive to the mode based off of real players, with transitional dialogs and cuts, and some sort of loose narrative tying it together, doesn't have to be anything fancy.

Tbh they could even integrate other stuff into just this one kind of mode, where say it could bounce back and forth between a seasonal set of small tournaments and just having unofficial tournaments at arcades where you'd run into a lot of the same players, and learn about important stuff at those non-tournament parts like one-frame links, plinking, charge partitioning etc. and matches to incorporate that. Then the tournament matches could build iteratively on the concepts already covered. You could even hop out of the mode anytime to play real matches online and hop right back at the last point you were at in the career mode when you don't want to play online anymore.

Man, the possibilities of a mode like this could be huge and have enough draw for casuals and pros alike. Just don't lock characters or stages/music behind completing it, I rather liked that IV had all characters already unlocked and you got extra costume colors etc. after getting points in online matches.

mbpm1

The other guys were so off beat with the majority of their songs... Well it sounded like that to me at least.
They were unbelievably out of tune. Their harmonies and guitars were firebrand unblockables to my ears and they dropped more notes than Andre during their solos. Wait this isnt marvel weekly.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Played over 30 matches yesterday with delay ranging between 2 frames and 6 frames depending on the person.

Most were 3-4

One person I jumped up to 19 frames with

Poor Guilty Gear it comes out this week and the FGC Weekly thread title is about something a year away.

I am sure everyone would have prefered to have the subtitle be about omega mode, patches, noodle bowls, or whatever it is thats related to capcom even if it the cash injection wasn't announced.

Exr

Thanks for the feedback. I have garbo internet but I can play sf4 and 3s decently online. Didn't know about a patch for ps3, I'm hoping there's noticeable difference.

Onemic

PC endless is fine, it's just ranked that's bizarrely fucked

Naw, now it's just straight shit. The game eats your inputs if there's even a hint of lag now. Doesn't matter if it's ranked or endless as this was happening to me against Village in a 1on1 endless lobby. PC now has the worst netcode out of all three versions by far.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Playerbase. Moba's have a shit ton more players than fighting games. LoL has tournament feeds streaming in game when you wait for your next match I've heard. Playing the game will actually get you exposed to the tournament/competitive scene and they shove it in your face.

Street Fighter has none of that in-game exposure. It's all external exposure, meaning only those who are already interested will go out of their way to seek it out. Converting casuals/new comers into viewers is key. But you need to develop that player base first to have something to win over imo. The fact that moba's are better suited for online gameplay than fighters (who rely more on offline meets) probably plays a factor as well (i.e. online community building in-game. Every game you play in a moba is with 9 other people. Fighting games are only 1 at a time, not to mention the player pool suddenly shrinks when you take offline meets into consideration).

I figure a LARGE amount of people watching MOBAs at any point in time are playing a MOBA with the stream on a second monitor. If you can say that fighting game streams trump MOBA streams in any way, it's probably that fighting game streams have a much larger percent of people who are more actively engaged with the stream.

Top Bottom