• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 15-21 | I did the math; it came out to 500,000

casperOne

Strongly disagree about fan voting. Too much prestige and money is on the line for it to be fan voting IMO.

As much as I like voting mechanisms and having it have some impact/relevancy on the event in order to get people involved, I agree with all of the sentiments that for this kind of thing, where money is on the line, it has no place, players need to earn it.

kirblar

Du still did a lot better than Justin Wong and did about the same as Daigo...
But in terms of marketing the event, he's still a no-name. I'm all for "outta nowhere" stories like Pepeday being allowed to happen and hate the whole "root for only established famous people" thing, but since Capcup is essentially an all-star game/bonus round, you want the players involved to have had exposure on the Capcom Pro Tour throughout the season, and Du/ChuChu didn't provide that to Capcom. (Pro tours are "promotional tours", after all.)

gutabo

*3/5 at the minimum please, too much money on the line.

*Cut down on the musical shows/bands and breaks please. I really liked that when the matches started it was back to back action but when the breaks kicked in it really broke the momentum of the event.

The above. Anecdotal evidence I know but most if not all people I know hated the ipad DJ and the megas because they wanted to watch the tourney. Maybe having two setups on the main stage with players testing buttons/warming up and waiting for his match on one while other two play on the other and then switching to the other setup as soon as the match ends so you can save more time (mostly at the start of the bracket).

Dlent

DL8Z8Gx.png

It's a tiny sample size to be sure, but let's avoid fan voting please.

Kikujiro

The above. Anecdotal evidence I know but most if not all people I know hated the ipad DJ and the megas because they wanted to watch the tourney. Maybe having two setups on the main stage with players testing buttons/warming up and waiting for his match on one while other two play on the other and then switching to the other setup as soon as the match ends so you can save more time (mostly at the start of the bracket).

Not anecdotal when 20,000 viewers dropped during the DJ set.

Dlent

Question, are the comments on NeoGAF taken into account too as part of the community? It'd be pretty neat if there was some voting system to bring at least 2-4 players off of popularity like it was done last year instead of players who are sponsored and well known steam rolling the competition for points.

Nobody was voted in though.

It was done last year, and some people are suggesting that it should be done next year as well was my point.

Dahbomb

Is that why its the DMC 1 and 2 outfits that are getting used instead of 3 and 4?
DMC2? DMC3 costume is already in DmC and DMC4 is getting its own release.

And by going back to roots I clearly mean stuff like harder difficulty settings, tweaked style gain, manual lock on etc.

Not even close.
They never even broke 80k.

There was a separate Japanese stream that had around 12k. All the Japanese were there so you pretty much had to add there totals with the main stream. Fishstix had a tweet that said 90k was watching Capcom Cup at one point I think. Still no where near EVO but far better than the next best.

notworksafe

Capcom wants to be eSports so bad but no one cares. It's tough when League casual streams hit 100k easy but the biggest SF tournament out there can't come close. I don't know what the solution is.

Rhapsody

Banned
DMC2? DMC3 costume is already in DmC and DMC4 is getting its own release.

And by going back to roots I clearly mean stuff like harder difficulty settings, tweaked style gain, manual lock on etc.

I'm reminded that I should probably go pick up the HD Collection since I haven't played them since PS2.

Does it matter for which console I get it on? Or is everything the same?

Kimosabae

Banned
Capcom wants to be eSports so bad but no one cares. It's tough when League casual streams hit 100k easy but the biggest SF tournament out there can't come close. I don't know what the solution is.

500k is going to make things a lot different. This weekend got almost 60k, so that's not far off. Let's revisit this discussion a year from now.

Yeah, honestly, I don't see the DMC news as any sort of test. Just like others, it feels like a build up for DMC5.

I feel its like the Halo Master Chief Collection, and the inevitable all-but-confirmed Marcus Fenix Gears collection this year, a HD-ready product that can port over to tide fans over/build up excitement around the brand before the next, fifth entry comes out

notworksafe

500k is going to make things a lot different. This weekend got almost 60k, so that's not far off. Let's revisit this discussion a year from now.

That's true. Big money like that is definitely going to get some notice. I just hope it's enough to keep the train rolling.

Kikujiro

What was peak viewers for CC14? Did they pass Evo?

Around 76,000, but then you can add the 12,000 from the Japanese stream (I think all the Japanese viewers went there) and 5,000 from the French stream which was on another site. It's nowhere near Evo, but it's a big step up from the first Capcom Cup and it's officially the most viewed fighting game tournament after Evo. As long as it's growing we are on the right track.

The breaks killed the momentum various times.

I feel its like the Halo Master Chief Collection, and the inevitable all-but-confirmed Marcus Fenix Gears collection this year, a HD-ready product that can port over to tide fans over/build up excitement around the brand before the next, fifth entry comes out

Or USFIV on PS4 for that matter, while we're speaking of fifth entries

kirblar

They're positioned between ESports and TCGs in terms of structure and how they're going about things w/ local tournaments, and its a good position. It's a growth thing, and Sony being involved for at least the next 2 years is a very good thing. (I suspect 2016 might have both USF4 and SF5 16-man brackets, which would be amazing.)

Will the bigger prize pot make people watch if they have no interest? Those MOBA tournaments have huge pots. I don't watch. IDK we shall see. I hope it gets the people who play online and don't go to tournaments or message boards. Maybe it will get the interest up there. Good for the scene though.

Maybe they should advertise it in game with a ticker at the main menu ;)

Top Bottom