• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 15-21 | I did the math; it came out to 500,000

NEO0MJ

However, there is still one question that remains.

How the fuck was 2014 Melee's strongest year ever? We've been playing this mother fucker for 13 years now, streams and youtube vids are everywhere, yet we still aren't sick of it.

What gives? Is it just the perfect game? Is it that simple?

Like others said, Melee is unique among fighting games. It a unique playstyle that nothing else comes close to, strong nostalgia for the characters and the general fanbase disappointment with its sequels. Looks like Smash 4 will do better than brawl but not enough to make the majority drop Melee.

.la1n

The new character for KI hasn't even been out for a day yet and we already have people asking for nerfs. I'd hate to think these same people had to play fighting games any time before the patching generations started.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Most Smash fans just play Smash, so they don't have the fragmentation that the FGC as a whole*

That and the game was banned from Evo for the longest time, s it's only now getting the same sort of exposure to a wider audience that other games got a while back.

*Because of their Autism Kappa

Kimosabae

Banned
Melee being unique helps it a lot. Both its sequels are inferior as fighting games.

Beef's post is great and this is why Melee is the exception: nothing plays remotely like it. Nothing. The game not only has no parallel - it damned-near has no ceiling.

I hate citing authority, but if someone like Dieminion can look at a game like Melee and see what makes it one of the most skill-based fighting games of all time; there's no reason why every self-proclaimed FG fan shouldn't look to understanding the appeal of the game. It's like an 09'er claiming to be a FG fan but isn't willing to give Super Turbo a chance; you'd dismiss that person pretty damned quickly, and Melee is starting to get to that level within the FGC.

I told you guys Smash WiiU was a competitive dead-end. Fun game, but it only took about 20 minutes to see the game's ceiling - just like Brawl's (LOL @ people being miffed at not having elaborate tutorials for this game. I see these people as a symptom of the thrust in Beef's post).

I've probably put a total of 40-50 minutes into the game since launch. If I can't get a GC adapter soon, I'm likely going to get rid of the system.

Fighting GAF, I have enough money for a new console. What should I buy?

A. Wii U
B. PS4
C. Save your money

If you're asking FGAF; PS4 should be a no-brainer. It's the official FGC console now. You'll absolutely need one eventually.

The only fighting game WiiU houses is Tekken kappa (
kinda
)

Spuck-uk

Banned
I hate citing authority, but if someone like Dieminion can look at a game like Melee and see what makes it one of the most skill-based fighting games of all time; there's no reason why every self-proclaimed FG fan shouldn't look to understanding the appeal of the game. It's like an 09'er claiming to be a FG fan but isn't willing to give Super Turbo a chance; you'd dismiss that person pretty damned quickly, and Melee is starting to get to that level within the FGC.

I've looked at it, played it, don't find it appealing at all. I'm sure Melee takes skill and all, but its mad fucking ugly, the controllers are horrible, and fuck lugging a CRT around in the year 2014.

Kimosabae

Banned
I've looked at it, played it, don't find it appealing at all. I'm sure Melee takes skill and all, but its mad fucking ugly, the controllers are horrible, and fuck lugging a CRT around in the year 2014.

There's a difference between understanding an appeal and finding an appeal. I don't find Super Turbo appealing to play, but I totally understand the appeal.

Your criticisms don't even have anything to do with actual game, so it's clear you "looked at it" and "played it" for sure.

Kinda like how a lot of 09er's "looked at" and "played" ST.

*shrug*

*edit*

Not to be totally dismissive, but Melee is that game that I feel any FG fan would appreciate if they actually knew what was happening on screen. Been arguing that for years, way before it was cool to do so, and time is bringing that to fruition.

Beef's post is great and this is why Melee is the exception: nothing plays remotely like it. Nothing. The game not only has no parallel - it damned-near has no ceiling.

I refused to try ST for the longest time because of the logical reason of character imbalance (in the form of the game's counterpick circus). Besides there's stupid broken shit in it and stuff. I also left airdashers and KOF untested because long combos are an unnecessary execution barrier. 3S - imbalanced and no fireball game, wtf is this shit.

SF4 felt frustrating (yay getting bopped for 400 on reaction because I had the audacity to throw a fullscreen fireball in Street Fighter) but what can you do? The other games were even worse. Stupid long-ass combos, an even worse fireball game, that constant counterpicking circus with horrible numbers like 3-7 all over the place.

It's very easy to see why someone would dismiss ST, especially with all the balance concerns nowadays.

Logic can be such a bitch if your premises are faulty. All the while I was playing The Best decks in MTG formats, decks that did broken things. I loved playing high-movement games like Melee and Brawl and picked MK in Brawl (ostensibly to escape from the stage counterpick circus, not because I actually just love playing master of all type characters). Just didn't see the signs.

Of course, none of those complaints of logic stood up to the realization that I actually wanted to just play characters that did everything to top tier strength if at all possible and the visceral feeling of fun playing the higher-movement games gave. But for a while they felt valid.

A. Wii U
B. PS4
C. Save your money

Depends on your need to play anime/exclusive games. Honestly, a wiiu PC combo probably will give most bang per Buck. DOA being on PC pushed backmy desire for ps4 even further

A. Wii U
B. PS4
C. Save your money
From a fighting game perspective, it's Smash vs. Every Other Fighting Game on the Planet.

Unless you really love Smash, I'd go with the PS4.

That said, if you're looking at stuff outside of fighting games, Nintendo has a sweet 1st-party lineup right now, while the PS4 has...um...well, Bloodborne next year, and that looks fantastic.

Personally, GG Xrd is the first time I've used my PS4 for something besides Netflix in a good 6 months, but Smash was the first time I turned my Wii U on in just as long of a period. It's all about your gaming needs!

That sounds crazy who said that? The game looks early but not that early. That means it's only been in development for like 6-7 months max. I don't think anyone would show a game that early in development.
I actually find it very believable. I think the game looks like crap right now.

WarRock

That sounds crazy who said that? The game looks early but not that early. That means it's only been in development for like 6-7 months max. I don't think anyone would show a game that early in development.

They weren't going to show the game until the leak happened before PSX. Remember, the original teaser barely had any footage. They also "updated" the gameplay trailer for the Capcom Cup and showed less recycled SFIV animations for Chun.

The crunch in the last two weeks to make that Chun vs Ryu fight probably was some crazy shit.

xCobalt

I know this is an implied Kappa but didn't they say 16 characters to start with?

Also why did you change your avatar now I'll never recognize you

I think 16 was from the Ken Bogard video. If its anything like SF4, 8 new and 8 returning characters sounds pretty fair.

Mr. X

Fighting games aren't exempt from this bubble gum era of quick consumption and throwing it to the wayside for the next new thing. Look how quick everyone is ready to jump to the next new fighter and leave the old one.

I wonder how long it took them to develop street fighter 4. Also it seems like they're trying to get the game out pretty quick according to rumors(trying to release near Japanese fiscal year start and only having 16 characters). I still think 2016 is guaranteed but now I'm not sure when. Still hoping for spring.

Laconic

Banned
Fighting games aren't exempt from this bubble gum era of quick consumption and throwing it to the wayside for the next new thing. Look how quick everyone is ready to jump to the next new fighter and leave the old one.

To be fair, it took a second iteration for it to actually feel like it was a fighting game, rather than Meta until Ultra stock.

And the heavy focus on links STILL detracts severely from its being a fundamentally centered fighting game.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
Where has this thread been in my life? Subscribed.

Well SF4 has been out for a while. Even with the updates and whatnot the core game is still the same. It's a little bit different from what you see in the AAA market.

I think 16 was from the Ken Bogard video. If its anything like SF4, 8 new and 8 returning characters sounds pretty fair.

8 new characters sounds like a lot. Someone on Twitter brought up the idea of 3 from 2, 3 from 4, 2 from Alpha, 2 from 3, and Skullomania (because that would be GREAT) and that would leave room for 5 characters. I honestly can't see them making more than 4 brand new SF5 characters at first, and I think it would be cool for updates to involve 1 veteran and 1 brand new character.

just browse with avatars off like me and recognize no one

That honestly sounds hellish

Sayad

They weren't going to show the game until the leak happened before PSX. Remember, the original teaser barely had any footage. They also "updated" the gameplay trailer for the Capcom Cup and showed less recycled SFIV animations for Chun.

The crunch in the last two weeks to make that Chun vs Ryu fight probably was some crazy shit.
Can you point those recycled animations? No way they updated/showed anything they weren't going to show because of the leak, which was a night before the official reveal, and about a week before Capcom Cup. Remember, we saw at PSX/the leak were only 30fps videos which didn't do the excellent animation justice.

The game still look very early though, I agree with that. No background crowd, UI and hit sparks looks like place holders, and I'm pretty sure at one point when Ryu was stunned, Combofiend jumped vertically to start Chun's combo with jumping HK but nothing came out because(probably) the move isn't in yet.

WarRock

I may be very wrong here, but the first trailer barely showed any new stuff for Chun besides her 3S HK bouncing/OTG'ing and the air finisher move, whereas the second had the new super animation, the 3S crouch, etc

She still has her IV Spinning Bird animation, jumping punch, etc. But feel free to correct me, that's basically my gut feeling.

Now we just wait and see if ken Bogard is right. If he is then it's coming out around April and will definitely be a EVO 2016 game. That would be hype as fuck.

Top Bottom