• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 15-21 | I did the math; it came out to 500,000

N4Us

the "yo i don't even play this game" is the classic

all those dudes are lying

The new way is to have a copy of the game but playing at casual sessions instead

So if you're good you can say "I own this game and barely touched it" and technically be true

But do you expect to win them?

Yeah, I pretty much only lose to the players/matchups I always did.

I haven't played MK9 outside majors since EVO 2013 and haven't failed to place top 8 in years. I literally don't warm up or play casuals. It takes like the first round of the tournament to get back to playing well. With Injustice I only play at my weekly(just the tournament matches). I am playing maybe the best I've played lately. I grinded this stuff out and now it's at the point where I don't need to. With KIT in a few weeks I will probably brush up on some matchups I don't play at my weekly but I won't be playing for hours every day.

DunpealD

Yeah, I pretty much only lose to the players/matchups I always did.

I haven't played MK9 outside majors since EVO 2013 and haven't failed to place top 8 in years. I literally don't warm up or play casuals. It takes like the first round of the tournament to get back to playing well. With Injustice I only play at my weekly(just the tournament matches). I am playing maybe the best I've played lately. I grinded this stuff out and now it's at the point where I don't need to. With KIT in a few weeks I will probably brush up on some matchups I don't play at my weekly but I won't be playing for hours every day.

Sounds like you're hoping for good bracket placing at bigger tournaments. Well luck is undeniably also something you need.

Actually how're the MK9 and Injustice communities doing these days?

"I don't even play this game" is an annoying OS though. It's real bad for guys who use it to hide behind a game not being their main game.

It's believable for a game that is old though. I'll buy that F Champ doesn't practice SF4 often. For EVO he'd be focused way more on Marvel.

Sounds like you're hoping for good bracket placing at bigger tournaments. Well luck is undeniably also something you need.

Actually how're the MK9 and Injustice communities doing these days?

Decent but cooled down with everyone waiting for MKX. KIT will be good, that'll be the first major since EVO where every region has traveled to it. Maybe the last till X drops.

Injustice living on depends on if it's announced for EVO or not.

sikvod00

Banned
The first English interview I've see for CC champion Momochi:

DS: You stuck with Ken the whole way through Capcom Cup, not opting to go with any of your counterpicks, which many analysts (myself included) have stated is one of your greatest assets. Was this a matter of pride in your main, or did you feel it just wasn’t necessary?

Momochi: It was both. The fact that I only practiced Ken was one of the reasons, but I was determinded to just use Ken from the beginning.

DS: You seemed pretty surprised at all the confetti and music when you won the Cup – what was going through your head at that moment?

Momochi: I was thinking, “I can't see anything because of the smoke.”

lol. Always amusing to see some of responses from the really quiet types like him.

Shouta

I don't think Snake Eye's frustration is unwarranted. We've got examples of folks that have been effective in beating him and the strategy they used but no one's really stepped it up to do it yet. He wants to improve but without someone to force him to get better, his choices are either looking to improve in odd ways or just getting stronger opponents period.

The first English interview I've see for CC champion Momochi:

lol. Always amusing to see some of responses from the really quiet types like him.

Momochi : For the final tournament, since there are many players from the world, it would be more entertaining as a player if they use two days instead of one and do first to three instead of two. Though, it is difficult to say as there are good things about first to two.. Also, I would like to have two monitors, head to head instead of one monitor, side by side.

Preach Momochi.

Can I talk about on Cronusmax (converter that allows you to use controllers from other consoles) or is that against the rules? I don't have one but my co-worker was thinking about getting one. Is there any lag on those devices?

.la1n

I know people love there side by side meta game shenanigans but I'd prefer head to head be standard at tournaments going forward.

If nothing else it will help fend off the smells I ran into at EVO a bit.

I don't think Snake Eye's frustration is unwarranted. We've got examples of folks that have been effective in beating him and the strategy they used but no one's really stepped it up to do it yet. He wants to improve but without someone to force him to get better, his choices are either looking to improve in odd ways or just getting stronger opponents period.

Oh boo hoo. Every top player lives with that limitation.

I have to listen to the nonsense on commentary *cough* about "how you may have experience against Zangief, but Snake Eyez is another level." There's no Snake Eyez clone in Florida and Nuckledu is the one that sent him packing.

Kumubou

I know people love there side by side meta game shenanigans but I'd prefer head to head be standard at tournaments going forward.

If nothing else it will help fend off the smells I ran into at EVO a bit.
It wouldn't be practical to do for every tournament setup... people could do it for stream setups, though. I think it would also look better presentation wise, if we're going to be e-sports about it.

I want people to hear me mashing on DP though. :<

It is better presentation wise as you can set up a video of each individual player during game play. It also gives that JP arcade vibe that I loved seeing for SBO, NSB, etc...

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
God damn, I thought you guys would make at least 5000 of each stick, but apparently I have no idea how high the demand/risk ratio is for TE2s.

For Persona we made less well... because the game has been out for some time now.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Definitely agree that head-to-head is preferable.
Fuck that noise.

As a player, consistency is appreciated. I really like that the main stage typically has the same setup as pools, which is also the same setup you'd use at home or in local play: side-by-side on the same monitor.

Can I talk about on Cronusmax (converter that allows you to use controllers from other consoles) or is that against the rules? I don't have one but my co-worker was thinking about getting one. Is there any lag on those devices?
I've heard that those things have absurd power draw, and that's what ends up fucking up the USB ports when they're in use. There have been scattered reports about how those adapters will cause dropped inputs for both players, but I don't know what actual tests have been run on them or if this issue has been addressed since they first came out a while ago.

They're banned in tournaments for that reason, but even if that wasn't an issue, they ought to be banned for programmable controller reasons. Judging from the marketing, their entire reason for existence is custom cheat macros for competitive gaming, so I entirely expect it to be possible to create one-button combos with them.

kirblar

There are no pools at Capcom Cup. And it may be the same for someone playing at home, but it's not the same way you play online or in an arcade environment. (They have pros/cons, I just think the head-to-head is "better" for both game play and for stage setup.- you can put two projectors/monitors on either side behind them.)

Shouta

Oh boo hoo. Every top player lives with that limitation.

I have to listen to the nonsense on commentary *cough* about "how you may have experience against Zangief, but Snake Eyez is another level." There's no Snake Eyez clone in Florida and Nuckledu is the one that sent him packing.

Pretty sure Snake's beaten Du and Dieminion in a bunch of other occasions. He just played like shit last Saturday and he recognizes it. Even the JPs are well aware of how scary Snake is. Tokido was mad salty at Evo, lol

CPS2

I only play vanilla tekken 5 with a guitar hero controller only and I don't even own the game or controller and yet here I am winning uniel which I've never even played, and I had to borrow a drum mania controller and mod it to be compatible with ps3 during button check...

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Yo Dahbomb got Dahbodied, tho. Hold that, son.

Anyway AAAA STREET FIGHTER V AAAA RIPTOR AAAA XRD YEAH WOO FIGHTING GAMES Wwhen is mahvel

eyyyy dawgggggg

Smidackkkkkkk

Pretty sure Snake's beaten Du and Dieminion in a bunch of other occasions. He just played like shit last Saturday and he recognizes it. Even the JPs are well aware of how scary Snake is. Tokido was mad salty at Evo, lol

I'd say that Snake Eyez makes the match look like 8-2, in giefs favor but yeah he played like crap that day.

jbug617

Banned
For Snake Eyez to level up wouldn't he have to play stick? Not sure in Japan if they do sessions other than playing at the arcade.

Top Bottom