• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 15-21 | I did the math; it came out to 500,000

You see...

Yeah. Most of us are 24+ years old. Kinda hard to get a new circle formed at this age and most people in my area don't play much video games, especially not anime fighters. I guess we play those two series the most because we played them a lot when we were more free to practice.

I totally know were you're coming from. I'm 26 and my aforementioned group of friends are all in their mid thirties. We don't have a lot of time for gaming, especially fighting games, but when I bring them a new fighting game, they'll at least play it, even if it's only that one time.

Your post left the impression that your friends just flat out won't play GG Xrd. Nothing wrong with just playing it casually, I say.

alstein

Snake Eyes made a comment that he's hit his as long as he can only play American players. SoCal is upset.

Sounds like West Coast has the seeds for it's own legitimate NLBC.

#dead

Well, if they want to prove him wrong- all they have to do is beat him. If they can't, then he's right.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I remember it like it was yesterday. People had found scans of all the Ultimate win portraits and were plastering them all over the thread, and enzo took the bullet along with a few others.

It was scans of the costumes from the guide IIRC. Anyone who quoted it caught the fade lol

I remembered that very clear butI thought it was Marvel Vs Capcom 3 then I got it messed up. What did you do that got you banned during MVC3 then?

mbpm1

Snake Eyes made a comment that he's hit his ceiling as long as he can only play American players. SoCal is upset.

Sounds like West Coast has the seeds for it's own legitimate NLBC.

#dead
Heard Chris t was emotionally salty on stream about snake losing

NEO0MJ

I totally know were you're coming from. I'm 26 and my aforementioned group of friends are all in their mid thirties. We don't have a lot of time for gaming, especially fighting games, but when I bring them a new fighting game, they'll at least play it, even if it's only that one time.

Your post left the impression that your friends just flat out won't play GG Xrd. Nothing wrong with just playing it casually, I say.

A few of them are willing to play casually. But still, I wish I could play on a more advanced level locally. I often have to heavily pull my punches.

Kimosabae

Banned
Heard Chris t was emotionally salty on stream about snake losing
ibnJhT5q4E21up.gif

Kumubou

Normally I don't think players should talk responsibly for the ability of other players... But if you're going to say that your competition is holding you back, then you probably have a vested interest in helping those players get better. If you're not interested in doing that and you can't figure out another way to train, then you're going to hold that L.

Infinite

Normally I don't think players should talk responsibly for the ability of other players... But if you're going to say that your competition is holding you back, then you probably have a vested interest in helping those players get better. If you're not interested in doing that and you can't figure out another way to train, then you're going to hold that L.
Yup. People even said the same shit to Sanford anyway. This is no different.

Busaiku

Doesn't the gameplay demo throw that rumor out?
I guess it depends on what they meant by "stance change", but I interpreted it more as Gen's stuff, rather than something like Dragon Install.

I guess it could still apply.

I agree but presumably he has been trying and they're just not able to reach his level. If he isn't playing casuals and trying to develop the WNF players then it's a blowup on him.

I understand his frustration but he probably shouldn't have said anything.

Azure J

To be honest, I'm really interested in learning Unreal Engine to mess around and prototype some stuff with and seeing how it's gotten easier to use/more widespread in this genre has me curious to find out more.

Also, I wonder how people would have felt if you told folks hating on Unreal that things like Rime and Guilty Gear would use it and look the way they do.

Malice215

good lookin out

i thought they weren't streaming it anymore with the valle split

The split meant that they were now streaming under Super Arcade's channel instead of Level Up's channel. Regardless Commando is still handling the actual broadcast.

In general the competition in the US is going to be held back by the fact that Japan still has an active arcade scene in a densely populated area, but to say that your competition is holding you back is an excuse.

I think American players tend to focus on the wrong things or limit their own potential in how successful they can be instead of instead of doing things that help you make you a better player like playing other games, using different characters, helping your scene grow stronger, etc.

So weird that Unreal is used to make amazing silky 3d multiplayer shooters and now making 2d fighters.

It's not weird to me because Unreal Engine has been used in alot of different ways, and NRS games use Unreal Engine also, but it's good that more fighting games are making use of the engine, and hopefully that leads to more fighting games on PC. We already see how beautiful Xrd looks, and the 3 biggest fighting game franchises are also utilizing it.

So weird that Unreal is used to make amazing silky 3d multiplayer shooters and now making 2d fighters.

On the other hand none of the current popular 3D shooters are using unreal engine.

I am just being a jerk. But seriously what AAA MP shootbang that was popular used unreal engine and wasn't called Gears of War.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
To be honest, I'm really interested in learning Unreal Engine to mess around and prototype some stuff with and seeing how it's gotten easier to use/more widespread in this genre has me curious to find out more.

Also, I wonder how people would have felt if you told folks hating on Unreal that things like Rime and Guilty Gear would use it and look the way they do.

That would be nice.

Kimosabae

Banned
Calling out the scene is the best thing Snake could have done. The ones with true hunger, like Christ, are going to be even more motivated now. What matters now, is that he backs up his talk with competitive and developing behaviors.

Look at what Sanford did for team PIE and the East Coast. It was a humbling experience for him (and still is) and helped make everyone better. Same could happen here. Except SoCal is focused on a bigger picture (Japan/Europe) as opposed to NY (West Coast).

Kinda weird considering that Christ has been giving him problems these passed few months, though.

It's not weird to me because Unreal Engine has been used in alot of different ways, and NRS games use Unreal Engine also, but it's good that more fighting games are making use of the engine, and hopefully that leads to more fighting games on PC. We already see how beautiful Xrd looks, and the 3 biggest fighting game franchises are also utilizing it.

Unreal Engine and Neverwinter Night engine hold a soft spot in my heart because it was how I stumbled into game development. Replacing model lead to replacing weapon skins and attributes or making a multiplayer map only to see what you envisioned TOTALLY didn't work.

Total pipe dream but I really hope Unreal support will make a viable SDK for people to make their own fighting game. That or people make it full MUGEN or their own version of a team fighter like MvC. The mod community might be Unreal's best asset and feel like it would be good for the fighting community.

On the other hand none of the current popular 3D shooters are using unreal engine.

I am just being a jerk. But seriously what AAA MP shootbang that was popular used unreal engine and wasn't called Gears of War.

I am not really sure. I believe Batman is Unreal but that is not a shooter.

Total pipe dream but I really hope Unreal support will make a viable SDK for people to make their own fighting game. That or people make it full MUGEN or their own version of a team fighter like MvC. The mod community might be Unreal's best asset and feel like it would be good for the fighting community.

The guy behind SF the Movie the Game works at Epic and said he was making a fighting game framework, but hasn't updated in a while. He did tweet about the SF5 UE4 reveal through.

mbpm1

Calling out the scene is the best thing Snake could have done. The ones with true hunger, like Christ, are going to be even more motivated now. What matters now, is that he backs up his talk with competitive and developing behaviors.

Pretty much. The scene could use a little rustling, if done right. Every week it's Chris T and Snake Eyez

Rainy

Banned
The best was when he called Chris his training dummy before GF at a WNF a while ago. Chris promptly reset the bracket and beat him. So maybe some anger will do him good.

fader

The best was when he called Chris his training dummy before GF at a WNF a while ago. Chris promptly reset the bracket and beat him. So maybe some anger will do him good.

it does everybody good. It helped revitalized NY SF4 scene when they were practically dead when Sanford called out everyone. 2015 is going to be an interesting year in the FGC...

Silky

Banned
Yo Dahbomb got Dahbodied, tho. Hold that, son.

Anyway AAAA STREET FIGHTER V AAAA RIPTOR AAAA XRD YEAH WOO FIGHTING GAMES Wwhen is mahvel

So, how do you convince your friends to try out a new game? I want them to play GG Xrd but they're pretty stubborn and refuse to try new things. If it isn't Smash or Tekken they often won't give it a chance.

Sounds like you have smart friends if they don't wanna play GG.

Csr

Where did snakeyez say that his scene is holding him back? I don't see it in his interview.

That statement is logical regardless if he made it or not, better competition helps you become a better player a lot faster. Someone said that he should try to make his scene better players. That is something that happens in those other scenes with better competition also though and besides that it is unrealistic to expect that he can make up with that the advantage other scenes like the japanese one have.

Top Bottom