• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 15-21 | I did the math; it came out to 500,000

Csr

Pretty sure Snake's beaten Du and Dieminion in a bunch of other occasions. He just played like shit last Saturday and he recognizes it. Even the JPs are well aware of how scary Snake is. Tokido was mad salty at Evo, lol

This is the first time nuckledu won snakeeyez in a tournament,i don't know how many times they have played though.
Also the match does seem tough for gief.

Shouta

For Snake Eyez to level up wouldn't he have to play stick? Not sure in Japan if they do sessions other than playing at the arcade.

It can occasionally happen at people's places but it's not very common at all to play on consoles. That's kind of the unfortunate thing. If they had plugs in the machines that allowed you to hook up pads, that'd be awesome but they don't have those for SF4. =(

Vice

For Snake Eyez to level up wouldn't he have to play stick? Not sure in Japan if they do sessions other than playing at the arcade.

If we went to Japan to level up it would be. He probably just hit a wall, it happens to a lot of players. There's enough talent in the U.S. to get him over it though.

smurfx

get some go again
I don't think Snake Eye's frustration is unwarranted. We've got examples of folks that have been effective in beating him and the strategy they used but no one's really stepped it up to do it yet. He wants to improve but without someone to force him to get better, his choices are either looking to improve in odd ways or just getting stronger opponents period.
it's basically the same thing pr rog said after he got back from japan. he wants that kind of competition all the time to level up but it isn't going to happen.

jbug617

Banned
It can occasionally happen at people's places but it's not very common at all to play on consoles. That's kind of the unfortunate thing. If they had plugs in the machines that allowed you to hook up pads, that'd be awesome but they don't have those for SF4. =(

I remember when they did the Osamu vs Daigo exhibition for the Taito stream they were able to connect his pad to the machine. I wonder what machine did they use.

I think head to head is best as well. And if i wanted to play like I do at home, I would have to drag my plasma to the venue, heh.

I wish all events where H2H, but I understand the cost/space limitations. Thought for a 16 man bracket, I think they could swing it.

Csr

If we went to Japan to level up it would be. He probably just hit a wall, it happens to a lot of players. There's enough talent in the U.S. to get him over it though.

It is not a matter of just becoming better, it is a matter of catching up to stronger players. They are improving also and with better competition.

I've heard that those things have absurd power draw, and that's what ends up fucking up the USB ports when they're in use. There have been scattered reports about how those adapters will cause dropped inputs for both players, but I don't know what actual tests have been run on them or if this issue has been addressed since they first came out a while ago.

They're banned in tournaments for that reason, but even if that wasn't an issue, they ought to be banned for programmable controller reasons. Judging from the marketing, their entire reason for existence is custom cheat macros for competitive gaming, so I entirely expect it to be possible to create one-button combos with them.

Oh boy. I will tell my co-worker.

It is not a matter of just becoming better, it is a matter of catching up to stronger players. They are improving also and with better competition.

But Snake Eyez is the 3rd best player in the world and champion of the strongest weekly in the world and no one plays a zangief like him.

The US should have a round robin tournament like Topanga League. I'm surprised the US scene hasn't done that. A lot of the top players are from California so how many players (Smug being one of them) do you really need to fly out to California?

kirblar

The US should have a round robin tournament like Topanga League. I'm surprised the US scene hasn't done that. A lot of the top players are from California so how many players (Smug being one of them) do you really need to fly out to California?
Canada Cup is doing that w/ the masters series.

Kimosabae

Banned
Goddamn at all the bitching going down regarding Xrd's Reversal window haha. I wonder if SFV is actually going to tighten things up there, or they're going to keep making mid-level oki rock/paper/scissors.

Smug, Kbrad, Du, Wolfkrone, Sanford, Dieminion and Coach Steve have a claim

Where all the good white players at?

Rainy

Banned
NorCal had a round robin for a few weeks a few months ago. Most of the better players went (Ricky was there, Rog wasn't) and they said it was helpful.

Some WNF people tried to do the same thing but it failed lmao

Canada Cup is doing that w/ the masters series.

I would like to see a focus on American players. The Masters Series is a lot like Topanga's World League only selection was chosen on past Canada Cups.

I do wonder what the ruleset is for the Masters Series. How many characters are allowed to be played by 1 player?

edit: I was watching the jp capcom tv show and they had Ayano, Daigo, and Mago present. They asked Daigo about Omega and he said he thought he'd attempt to play it, but once he heard the $500k announcement he said "fuck that noise" (paraphrasing obviously).

Imm0rt4l

Beat this guy in usf4 yesterday 3 times in a row. They were pretty close matches though. I can tell he was getting angry from the way he was playing. After I leave he sends me a message. "GG I prefer playing ppl at my skill level. Thanks for leaving"

I can't help but read this as some sorta meta game os. So i just replied "ur welcome"

Also lost a really close match yesterday to someone who then kicked me. I think he may have been a gaffer.

petghost

Banned
Goddamn at all the bitching going down regarding Xrd's Reversal window haha. I wonder if SFV is actually going to tighten things up there, or they're going to keep making mid-level oki rock/paper/scissors.

Felt like a scrub cuz I had to skip that do 5 reversals mission. Shit is tight...2f I heard?

Kimosabae

Banned
Felt like a scrub cuz I had to skip that do 5 reversals mission. Shit is tight...2f I heard?

yup.

There's one where Eddie does meaty Traversing Attack and you have to Reversal Blitz Shield then grab Zato before his followup. Stupid hard. Wouldn't be so bad if the game actually helped you find the reversal window when it's trying to teach you the importance of it; similar to how +R showed you where the FRC inputs were in Training Mode.

I'm ecstatic the window is tight, but for a mode that's supposed to be a tutorial of sorts, in a lot of cases, it essentially takes your newborn body and tosses it off a cliff, Spartan style.

alstein

Smug, Kbrad, Du, Wolfkrone, Sanford, Dieminion and Coach Steve have a claim

Where all the good white players at?

Even back in the 90s we were saying that.

As for the reversal windows, I don't have an issue with that outside of how easy it was to punish big for people dropping 1f links. To me the solution is fixing the links not so much fixing the reversal windows.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
7 minutes in to the video so far and for the most part he was just talking about how the activation system seems to allow for unique cancels

edit: he's very insistent that no parries were shown in any of the footage

edit: so far he's insisting that the part people thought were parries from chun against ryu are just blocks. No parry, no just defend.

Late response to this, but I was just catching up on the last two pages before hitting the bed:

I also didn't know why people felt they saw parries/just defends from anything shown for SFV. What I think made people think that were the off placements of the block sparks. Because the game is early, I saw that all of the blocks had the same size spark, it's just that the positions of some of them made them look bigger. The seemingly-smaller ones were just the sparks being covered by Chun-Li's body, and the seemingly-bigger ones were the sparks being way out in front of her body. All because the game is still super-early of course, but just regular ol' blocks.

Anne

Dunno if this was posted here, but the day before KiT a local venue is hosting a $1k winner take all exhibition bracket, random seeding every round, 3/5, single elim. Panda is streaming it. Invited player list is:

1. Arturo Sanchez “TS Sabin”
2. Micheal Swearingen “MLSwear”
3. Joel Rosario “YG Joel”
4. Maurice Effinger “KIT Nice1″
5. Kevin Landon “Dieminion”
6. Kenneth Bradley “EG KBrad”
7. Sanford Kelly “TSC Sanford Kelly”
8. Justin Wong “EG JWong”
9. Hamad Akbar “DL Hamad”
10. Ricky Ortiz “EG Ricky”
11. Jonathan Molina “VGP Integra”
12. Vu Tra “Ranmasama”
13. Jonathan DeLeon “MOR Rico Suave”
14. Ludovic Mbah “Ludovic”
15. Bryant Huggins “PIE Smug”
16. Winner of January 3 Qualifier Tournament

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Beat this guy in usf4 yesterday 3 times in a row. They were pretty close matches though. I can tell he was getting angry from the way he was playing. After I leave he sends me a message. "GG I prefer playing ppl at my skill level. Thanks for leaving"

I can't help but read this as some sorta meta game os. So i just replied "ur welcome"

Also lost a really close match yesterday to someone who then kicked me. I think he may have been a gaffer.

Damn, the salt is real for those people. We've all been there, when I would religiously play online, I can't tell you how many times people would send me hate mail saying gief is broken.

Dunno if this was posted here, but the day before KiT a local venue is hosting a $1k winner take all exhibition bracket, random seeding every round, 3/5, single elim. Panda is streaming it. Invited player list is:

12. Vu Tra “Ranmasama”

Awesome, that's a pretty slick list of players.

Who does Integra play? Name sounds familiar but I can't recall

Infinite

Watching some more of Capcom Cup: Ryan Heart cracks me up after he still presses buttons after a round. it's like relax my dude you can still play just let the game transition to the next match lol

fader

12. Vu Tra “Ranmasama”

this sounds like its gonna be a scrap fest... Im in. I hope they all agree to go.

Smugs last name is Huggins?!?

Top Bottom