• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 15-21 | I did the math; it came out to 500,000

kirblar

Any scene is going to be missing high-level characters. It's what makes international play in SF4 so great right now- you're seeing matchups you don't normally get.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
That's why Marn fled to Vietnam. The scene was holding him back from not gambling and not living a healthy lifestyle.

vulva

Shit, didn't realize it was that long haha. I can probably get to it later but I didn't feel like spending an hour on a video translation

did anyone catch gooteck's story about how luffy told him he plays an hour a week and that playing people doesn't even help his game anymore?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
did anyone catch gooteck's story about how luffy told him he plays an hour a week and that playing people doesn't even help his game anymore?
Wouldn't that be something if a lot of these top players just spent most of their time learning bad habits.

vulva

7 minutes in to the video so far and for the most part he was just talking about how the activation system seems to allow for unique cancels

edit: he's very insistent that no parries were shown in any of the footage

edit: so far he's insisting that the part people thought were parries from chun against ryu are just blocks. No parry, no just defend.

vulva

He seems to be implying that counter hits lead to juggles

Counter hits receiving special visual effects for the purpose of making it easier to optimize counter hit only combos

ink effect specials are ex ones

he thinks that ex bar usage will be more similar to that in third strike than sf4, ex moves being more equivalent to something like a 3s super than just a combo supplement like in 4

ex meter can be used to cancel specials to make them safe

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
7 minutes in to the video so far and for the most part he was just talking about how the activation system seems to allow for unique cancels

Thanks for this info and anything else you are willing to translate.

i'm having a hard time figuring out what exactly you're implying, break it down for me please
I mean, perhaps like Luffy they've "learned all they can learn" from playing others, and perhaps an excessive amount of playing others doesn't really result in learning positive habits but makes them attune themselves more to individualized habits that can work to their detriment generally.

I guess a shitty analogy is when musicians don't listen to others' music when attempting to create something fruitful and be the best that they can be.

Mr. X

I thought the SFV on UE4 was known after PSX or Capcom Cup?

Calling out people is the best way to motivate. People who care will step up to shut him up. He should go to NorCal and take their tourneys.

I believe this. The game is old, he's been playing Rose the entire time, and he surely has trouble finding competition at his level if he doesn't play online. He'd just need to play enough to stay sharp on execution and probably does his best prep just thinking about players/matchups.

Mr. X

Counter hits receiving special visual effects for the purpose of making it easier to optimize counter hit only combos

Extra hitstop and an audio cue for CH please.

I'm happy to see I'm not the only one who does this. Of course this guy is on a whole other level. I think part of it has to be the game too. I can get away with just a tiny bit of time with SG or +R, but that will never fly with VSav or SCV. Some games just fit like a glove and getting into the groove of things is a small matter.

Newbies and people not willing to put in a bit of work never find that out, though. Such a shame because having a "go to" game does wonders for keeping the genre relevant even during lean times. I guess what I'm saying does deviate a bit from his talk about reaching a certain skill roof, but I think what I'm saying still applies.

alstein

If Snake Eyez keeps that attitude, he won't qualify for Capcom Cup next year.

I mean, he got in by winning TFC, which was probably the weakest field of any of the auto bids.

I'm not saying he's a fraud, he's good, but he's not at the level where he can say that. If I had to do a world ranking, he'd be somewhere around 10. Not sure if he's even best American (I'd give that to Ricky or Rog right now)

vulva

He runs down everything major once he does the analysis of the charlie tease:

counter hits juggle and have unique animations. if the counter hit is ground based, he believes the animation is likely to remain a spin for every character as a means of making it obvious
cancels are made more possible with the activation mode, which went unnamed in the video (no reference to v-trigger yet)
crossups can't happen in the corner he thinks
guard crush wasn't shown in the footage but we know it exists from the other trailer
ultras are the same as 4
links exist
target combos exist
the super/ex system is very different now to sf4

Kimosabae

Banned

From my experience, anytime a player says that, they're full of shit. A top player especially. I used to practice Melee 8 hrs a day and refused to admit it to anyone, because I was scared to identify that strongly with the notion of playing a video game for money. I knew plenty that admitted the same to me.

He may have had stretches where he's been able to lapse his focus a bit and sail on the experience and knowledge that he's gained over the years at locals or some majors, but you best believe he's grinding hard come Evo/CC time to sharpen up matchups.

vulva

looking at the actual gameplay he mentions that ryu having less ex bars means he charges his activation faster but it lasts less amount of time

he mentions that activating the mode works as a cancel, so I guess think something like an x-factor cancel

now he's talking about just an idea so not sure if this is a leak or just an idea of his so take it with a grain of salt:
he's talking about being able to choose how many bars of ex your character has. Being able to choose to get one bar for faster activations but less useful ones for long play. IE you can pick to only have one ex bar but it means you can activate sooner but it won't last as long or 3 bars for a more delayed but more powerful activation etc

edit: in the end he just mentions this is all beta so things can change and that he loves the animations a lot

Thanks for this info and anything else you are willing to translate.

I mean, perhaps like Luffy they've "learned all they can learn" from playing others, and perhaps an excessive amount of playing others doesn't really result in learning positive habits but makes them attune themselves more to individualized habits that can work to their detriment generally.

I guess a shitty analogy is when musicians don't listen to others' music when attempting to create something fruitful and be the best that they can be.

Yea, that makes sense. We hear and see all the time an extra nutty match between two people that play all the time because they're playing to each other's habits.

I believe this. The game is old, he's been playing Rose the entire time, and he surely has trouble finding competition at his level if he doesn't play online. He'd just need to play enough to stay sharp on execution and probably does his best prep just thinking about players/matchups.

Yea, I believe it too. I just find it an interesting contrast to a lot of the other top players who we know spend a lot of time playing the game.

I'm happy to see I'm not the only one who does this. Of course this guy is on a whole other level. I think part of it has to be the game too. I can get away with just a tiny bit of time with SG or +R, but that will never fly with VSav or SCV. Some games just fit like a glove and getting into the groove of things is a small matter.

Newbies and people not willing to put in a bit of work never find that out, though. Such a shame because having a "go to" game does wonders for keeping the genre relevant even during lean times. I guess what I'm saying does deviate a bit from his talk about reaching a certain skill roof, but I think what I'm saying still applies.

I think a lot of people do this, likely because they don't have a choice. Not everyone's a kid with all the free time in the world, or a dedicated/professional fighting game player

Has to be.

Hopefully

From my experience, anytime a player says that, they're full of shit. A top player especially. I used to practice Melee 8 hrs a day and refused to admit it to anyone, because I was scared to identify that strongly with the notion of playing a video game for money. I knew plenty that admitted the same to me.

He may have had stretches where he's been able to lapse his focus a bit and sail on the experience and knowledge that he's gained over the years at locals or some majors, but you best believe he's grinding hard come Evo/CC time to sharpen up matchups.

Well he recently said he hasn't been having fun with SF4 and has been busy with his job.

I do assume he's exaggerating or downplaying his time spent when it comes to EVO and Capcom Cup preparation but otherwise I believe it.

Clawww

looking at the actual gameplay he mentions that ryu having less ex bars means he charges his activation faster but it lasts less amount of time

he mentions that activating the mode works as a cancel, so I guess think something like an x-factor cancel

now he's talking about just an idea so not sure if this is a leak or just an idea of his so take it with a grain of salt:
he's talking about being able to choose how many bars of ex your character has. Being able to choose to get one bar for faster activations but less useful ones for long play. IE you can pick to only have one ex bar but it means you can activate sooner but it won't last as long or 3 bars for a more delayed but more powerful activation etc

some EX ratio type shit, nice. I like that a lot. Staying in that ass with 1 bar Ken or something is gonna be hot

vulva

edit: so far he's insisting that the part people thought were parries from chun against ryu are just blocks. No parry, no just defend.

he thinks that ex bar usage will be more similar to that in third strike than sf4, ex moves being more equivalent to something like a 3s super than just a combo supplement like in 4

ex meter can be used to cancel specials to make them safe

He runs down everything major once he does the analysis of the charlie tease:

counter hits juggle and have unique animations. if the counter hit is ground based, he believes the animation is likely to remain a spin for every character as a means of making it obvious
cancels are made more possible with the activation mode, which went unnamed in the video (no reference to v-trigger yet)
crossups can't happen in the corner he thinks
guard crush wasn't shown in the footage but we know it exists from the other trailer
ultras are the same as 4
links exist
target combos exist
the super/ex system is very different now to sf4

edit: in the end he just mentions this is all beta so things can change and that he loves the animations a lot

too lazy to properly format this, so here's the full translation of the important things he mentioned

I think a lot of people do this, likely because they don't have a choice. Not everyone's a kid with all the free time in the world, or a dedicated/professional fighting game player
You don't need to be a professional or a kid to do this. I used to think somewhat similarly until I began to see how many hours even "casuals" would put into dota or TF2. If you've got time to game then you've got time to improve your skills at a fighter. It just so happens that most people put fighters lower on the video game priority list. Too bad people don't stop there and begin talking about free time, being a child or earning esports money. I kinda don't like that.

Rainy

Banned
Gootecks also said Luffy told him he has a full time job and is married. #familyman

He said also Luffy is like 28 or something and that he just looks young.

Csr

If Snake Eyez keeps that attitude, he won't qualify for Capcom Cup next year.

I mean, he got in by winning TFC, which was probably the weakest field of any of the auto bids.

I'm not saying he's a fraud, he's good, but he's not at the level where he can say that. If I had to do a world ranking, he'd be somewhere around 10. Not sure if he's even best American (I'd give that to Ricky or Rog right now)

Calling them out was insensitive but seeking better competition is a way to get better not worse so i don't understand your first sentence.
It does seem though that he is salty at how he lost to a ken pretty convincingly even though he plays so much against christ hence the comment.

I think ricky, justin, rog and snake eyez are on a similar level, which is logical since they play a similar level of opponents online and offline.

You don't need to be a professional or a kid to do this. I used to think somewhat similarly until I began to see how many hours even "casuals" would put into dota or TF2. If you've got time to game then you've got time to improve your skills at a fighter. It just so happens that most people put fighters lower on the video game priority list. Too bad people don't stop there and begin talking about free time, being a child or earning esports money. I kinda don't like that.

I meant I think a lot of people find that their skills don't deteriorate as long as they play somewhat regularly, even if they're not grinding out the game.

Csr

I meant I think a lot of people find that their skills don't deteriorate as long as they play somewhat regularly, even if they're not grinding out the game.

I think what character you are using matters in this issue. I have easier time perfoming decently with someone like ryu or hugo while not playing much than when using someone like akuma.

Infinite

That street fighter 5 thread legit turned into a console wars thread at one point. Dudes have zero chill. Best part is they don't even seem to care about he franchise beyond this iteration only being on the PS4.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Luffy plays online all the time. He didn't get all those points without playing. Once in a while you see him in Art's lobby and various other players streaming.

Csr

Luffy plays online all the time. He didn't get all those points without playing. Once in a while you see him in Art's lobby and various other players streaming.

I take these "i play 1 hour a week only" comments with a bucket of salt no matter where it is coming from. Fg players always downplay how much time they spend with a fighting game.

DunpealD

Sounds like an issue of player pool. In another recent interview at Eventhubs he mentioned he doesn't really enjoy SF4 anymore outside of high level matches, also iirc he also loves money matches so maybe he also likes tension while playing which is missing in casual play.

Top Bottom