• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 15-21 | I did the math; it came out to 500,000

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Yams i got drunk on a pirateship today

Well not really drunk

The life mate, you can get all the booty you want.

Yams, the dream is over. There's no more Marvel.

We'll help you get through this.

troy-barnes-emotions.gif

I didn't think TLE was going to catch anybody with that one but clearly I was wrong.

I laugh every time TLE catches someone. People will never learn... Plus you can't avatar quote him, its been a challenge.

Nyoro SF

ATP - some dude tried to call out aris for not blocking raw tags in tekken tag 2, saying he doesn't adapt to tags despite calling himself a tekken competitor in the game for two years, thus is a bitch.

aris bans/removes them from the call, says fuck tekken tag 2 and that he only played it to support the scene.

I'm on Aris's side for this one lol

fader

ATP - some dude tried to call out aris for not blocking raw tags in tekken tag 2, saying he doesn't adapt to tags despite calling himself a tekken competitor in the game for two years, thus is a bitch.

aris bans/removes them from the call, says fuck tekken tag 2 and that he only played it to support the scene.

oh that was Jimmy Tran.

Manbig

did i miss something from ATP?

At the end of each show, they usually do a bitch calling where they call someone that pissed them off in the past week out in a mostly joking way. After Rip shared a humorous story about a random dude constantly calling him and talking in spanish basically leaving him threats on his phone, Aris asks Jimmy if he's ready to go. Jimmy asks to go last.

When Jimmy's turn comes up, this happened.

http://www.twitch.tv/avoidingthepuddle/v/3620184?t=1h42m40s

"Fuck wall tags, I'm waiting two years for Tekken 7" completely slayed me.

At the end of each show, they usually do a bitch calling where they call someone that pissed them off in the past week out in a mostly joking way. After Rip shared a humorous story about a random dude constantly calling him and talking in spanish basically leaving him threats on his phone, Aris asks Jimmy if he's ready to go. Jimmy asks to go last.

When Jimmy's turn comes up, this happened.

http://www.twitch.tv/avoidingthepuddle/v/3620184?t=1h42m40s

"Fuck wall tags, I'm waiting two years for Tekken 7" completely slayed me.

no audio :(

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

Naw, the only thing worse than playing a game you don't like is losing at said game.

yup.

There's one where Eddie does meaty Traversing Attack and you have to Reversal Blitz Shield then grab Zato before his followup. Stupid hard. Wouldn't be so bad if the game actually helped you find the reversal window when it's trying to teach you the importance of it; similar to how +R showed you where the FRC inputs were in Training Mode.

I'm ecstatic the window is tight, but for a mode that's supposed to be a tutorial of sorts, in a lot of cases, it essentially takes your newborn body and tosses it off a cliff, Spartan style.

Yeah. Mission mode as a whole does it a lot. "Antiair Faust before he paperbags you. (using a predetermined sequence you have no time to read beforehand so you'll autofail the first attempt! Fun, innit?)

That's light

Karate only works on ninjas that do karate lmao

Peep the resume

Pretty sure Karate works against KOF players Kappa

Wait, 13 is not KOF. Damn, foiled.

Yeah. Mission mode as a whole does it a lot. "Antiair Faust before he paperbags you. (using a predetermined sequence you have no time to read beforehand so you'll autofail the first attempt! Fun, innit?)

Pretty sure Karate works against KOF players Kappa

Wait, 13 is not KOF. Damn, foiled.

I gave up on the reversal ky one and I have no idea how to eat a burst and air throw ky. I think I stopped on the one where you have to blitz venom's projectiles like 8 times for 1 round and do that like 5 times lol

Kimosabae

Banned
Aris and co. talking about how Tekken 7 seems too familiar, but I'm sure there's people that are still desperate to convince us otherwise.

TTT2 not a good competitive game? Come on now Aris, lol.

Watching it though, it just seemed he was salty on the call out and trying to get back at them, haha. Like when I beat my friend in SF, and is like, fuck this game, it sucks. But he liked it yesterday.

mbpm1

Watching it though, it just seemed he was salty on the call out and trying to get back at them, haha. Like when I beat my friend in SF, and is like, fuck this game, it sucks. But he liked it yesterday.

Aris did it for the scene

He died for Tag2's sins

Manbig

Didnt know the high level Tekken players hated TTT2 as well.

Whenever there's a new Tekken game, there's always a few that call it quits while citing that the game that they started with was the best one ever.

In this particular case though, I pretty much agree with Aris' sentiment. While he didn't do the best job of making his case during ATP Live, he's gone on quite a few rants against Tag 2's system during some of his past streams.

The instance that Jimmy talked about for example, as Dragunov, Aris will typically end his wall combo with b4,2 to spike the opponent and gain some decent oki, but when he goes for the stomp and the opponent raw tags, AKA what is supposed to be the most unsafe tag option, he eats a hop kick or whatever launcher.

Now sure he can adapt and change up his offense some, but that's not the point here. Tagging at the wall in Tag 2 is a situation with WAY too many variables. The fact that at the wall, the partner comes into the fight from the sky makes it so that they avoid lows and can attack fast enough to launch you for it is quite obnoxious. To top all of that off, the axis that your opponent is at next to wall makes their partner come in from these insanely odd angles that are almost impossible to predict, so if you have some sort of option to punish it, you have to worry about the possibility of completely mission and eating a launcher, because 99% of moves in Tekken do not realign your character.

To put it in basic terms, raw tagging at the wall is supposed to be dangerous, but the game's mechanics in combination with the tiny amount of time that you have to actually punish it actually makes it a pretty damn dangerous situation for the attacker also. It's the Tekken equivalent of trying to do the hardest to execute tight block strings vs a Gief player that's just constantly mashing out SPD while they're blocking.

Malice215

Holy shit the end of ATP Live was fucking amazing!

I fell asleep while I was watching it and just finished watched the archive. Aris ga gawd!

Mr. Naps seems to think T7 is pretty similar to Tekken Revolution right now.

EDIT: Also said it's way too early to tell how the game's going to turn out.

I think TR was the base and they're evolving the game from there. I'm sure the final product will look completely different as they're going to continue to work on the game while it's in the arcade and for the eventual console release.

I tend to agree. TTT2 is awesome if you happen to live in Japan or Korea, but what about the rest of the world? The turnouts are low, it takes forever to run since people want to do 3/5 for it, people talk shit when TTT2 is on stream, and players tend to pick two characters with similar playstyles which isn't interesting to watch either. It also had the lowest turnouts at EVO when it was in the lineup.

At least the players in SoCal are entertaining to watch and keep TTT2 going, but I'm interested to see what happens with Tekken 7. Going back to 1v1 along with the system changes will help bring back players and hopefully make for a more interesting game to spectate.

Kimosabae

Banned
At least the players in SoCal are entertaining to watch and keep Tekken going, but I'm interested to see what happens with Tekken Tag Tournament 2. Going back to 2v2 along with the system changes will help bring back players and hopefully make for a more interesting game to spectate.

This sounds like 2010 all over again. Funny how cyclic some of these FGC struggles seem to be.

Kalamari

I think it was stated that there was some new stuff in the T7 build at the loctest, but that it was so muted that it didn't make a significant impact to gameplay. The balancing of the game may change the way it plays significantly.

I tend to agree. TTT2 is awesome if you happen to live in Japan or Korea, but what about the rest of the world? The turnouts are low, it takes forever to run since people want to do 3/5 for it, people talk shit when TTT2 is on stream, and players tend to pick two characters with similar playstyles which isn't interesting to watch either. It also had the lowest turnouts at EVO when it was in the lineup.

At least the players in SoCal are entertaining to watch and keep TTT2 going, but I'm interested to see what happens with Tekken 7. Going back to 1v1 along with the system changes will help bring back players and hopefully make for a more interesting game to spectate.

I think that is more a comment on the scene not in Japan/Korea. The scene is not competitive here. The game is fine (and competitive). People don't like parts of it, but that doesn't make it not competitive. I don't like baseball or Smash. but they are fine endeavors.

People where I live don't like tripe and lengua tacos, but they are still delicious.

But I just take Aris' comments as funny saltiness.

I think that is more a comment on the scene not in Japan/Korea. The scene is not competitive here. The game is fine (and competitive). People don't like parts of it, but that doesn't make it not competitive. I don't like baseball or Smash. but they are fine endeavors.

People where I live don't like tripe and lengua tacos, but they are still delicious.

But I just take Aris' comments as funny saltiness.

Aris point about TTT2 is that it is not a good competitive game, not that it isn't competitive. He bases this opinion from watching american tournaments and seeing poor play, even from our best players who played previous installments at a very high level with few errors.

The amount of things you need to be aware of in a tense tournament situation is just too much in his opinion. You have your two characters who could have completely different play styles and punishment options, two opponents who have different things you have to remember how to punish, long combos with insane wall carry that need pinpoint optimization on the fly to maximize damage. After "playing Tekken" and getting rewarded with a launcher, your mind has to automatically go into "ok I launched them, are they on straight axis, or slight to the left or right? Can this combo kill? How far away from the wall am I? Do I need to tag out? Do I expect them to tag out when I'm done? Tag Crash or raw tag?" Doesn't even get into the wall situation variables yet!

Mr Naps loves this shit because he's a maniac. If Tekken could be made around his desires, he'd want TTT3 with 100 characters (he has said this). He is the ultimate encyclopedia of the game and that's why he's our best player. Aris is a "keep it simple, stupid" style of player that won't do 100% optimized combos in tournament if the execution is too difficult or has too many variables in the outcome. TTT2 can't be played like that at high levels.

The point about T7 being too similar to TR, Naps was saying that the loctest he played was Tekken Revolution movesets copy pasted into T7 with minor refinements. He admitted the new trailer had newer moves and move properties you would expect from a new Tekken. At high levels it will probably still feel like a T6 style of game, but Namco is making these adjustments for the mid and low level players.

Anyone in FGC-GAF have Driveclub? Tryna get me a club going or join one with other GAFers. My PSN is in my profile, holla.

I have it. Join my club. its called
"2outof5stars" I have a bunch of car unlocked already.

Not sure what console to bring to my bro-in-law's house for the holiday break. PS4, PS3 or WiiU?

Top Bottom