• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 15-21 | I did the math; it came out to 500,000

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
VF5FS did have a pretty good run, all things considered. I'm not holding out hope for a third Sega Cup, but the two that were held were both great.

i don't know what to expect out of 2015. it would be super cool to see VF at SCR again and a third sega cup. i like traveling and if i can play VF at my destination even better.

if neither of those happen, i don't know. EC has NYG and next year is probably going to be bigger than this year -which had higher attendance than sega cup 2014 - just because of all the cool shit we got coming in (VF3, VF4FT, VF5R). i'll be making a trailer for NYGX asap.

outside of that, there's final round...

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
So when and what is the next big tournament that everybody's gonna be playing in? Hard to keep up with this scene.

Azure J

That "playing one or two characters in a roster" thread makes me wonder, do you guys have anything against games where one or two characters show up at regular intervals in fighting games? I feel like both as a player and viewer, it doesn't bother me, even when I may dislike (re:let that salt flow when a character shows up) a specific match up/character personally because the quality of play and the players playing the game will always result in different outcomes and that's what I'm always looking out for.

Sorry to make everything Smash related, but I really feel like I could watch hypothetical M2K/PPMD Marth mirrors, Mango/Lucky Fox mirrors or S2J/Lord Falcon mirrors forever without feeling like their there needs to be more diversity. It'd be great to see more Luigi tearing shit up sure and Amsa was an amazingly new experience, but the lack of those characters doesn't take away from the game play on display.

I don't think I'm doing a good enough job articulating what I really want to say here. :lol

xezuru

That "playing one or two characters in a roster" thread makes me wonder, do you guys have anything against games where one or two characters show up at regular intervals in fighting games? I feel like both as a player and viewer, it doesn't bother me, even when I may dislike (re:let that salt flow when a character shows up) a specific match up/character personally because the quality of play and the players playing the game will always result in different outcomes and that's what I'm always looking out for.

Sorry to make everything Smash related, but I really feel like I could watch hypothetical M2K/PPMD Marth mirrors, Mango/Lucky Fox mirrors or S2J/Lord Falcon mirrors forever without feeling like their there needs to be more diversity. It'd be great to see more Luigi tearing shit up sure and Amsa was an amazingly new experience, but the lack of those characters doesn't take away from the game play on display.

I don't think I'm doing a good enough job articulating what I really want to say here. :lol

I feel like the tools, and as a resultant, the speed and movement of Melee makes it entertaining to play and watch no matter what character you use, because a lot of the things you can do are universal, feel and look good (makin ganon fast and hype). Melee in particular (in comparison to Project M) because of the competitive pool, tiers, has off-stage edgeguarding as pretty much the main event of the entire game which is pretty much the flashiest as smash gets in high level, no matter what characters.

Shouta

http://northwestmajors.com/

this is taking place this weekend. i have no idea who is going. shouta you have any info?

We're doing Pacific Northwest Regionals this weekend. It's the first time for this event. It's focused on local players mostly, WA, OR, ID, and Canada. So we won't have too many big names. Got a lot more Smash than anything for this event.

We're just using the Northwest Majors website because it'll be our lead-in into Northwest Majors in April. We're announcing something tomorrow for NWM as well.

Air will be there if you want to see his Poison in action a bit more.

smurfx

get some go again
We're doing Pacific Northwest Regionals this weekend. It's the first time for this event. It's focused on local players mostly, WA, OR, ID, and Canada. So we won't have too many big names. Got a lot more Smash than anything for this event.

We're just using the Northwest Majors website because it'll be our lead-in into Northwest Majors in April. We're announcing something tomorrow for NWM as well.

is it going to be streamed? by who?

xezuru

Oh god... I can actually go to this... maybe. But, I'd only to realistically be able to not go 0-2 entering Melee. Though, I'd want to see how ass I am at Xrd.

If it's not high level play I don't wanna watch it period. With high level play, no matter who is being used, if I like the game then I'm going to like the match. Character choice mainly affects who I'm going to cheer for, if I decide to become invested in the match at that level. Anytime Justin or Ricky play Street Fighter? I always want the other person to win, because fuck Rufus. But that's really as far as it goes.

People complaining about lack of diversity as spectators can hold that shit. As a player, yea, it sucks when the character you like isn't viable, which in turn can turn you off from the game. As a spectator, eat a dick. If a game had 100 characters in it, people would eventually complain about lack of diversity, because people get bored with the familiar.

Azure J

What is with all the Donkey Kongs showing up lately in Smash 4 btw? I'm consistently surprised how good that character is and seeing all of them coming into view makes me wonder if there's a new trend developing.

Beats

What is with all the Donkey Kongs showing up lately in Smash 4 btw? I'm consistently surprised how good that character is and seeing all of them coming into view makes me wonder if there's a new trend developing.

Might be people realizing that he's actually pretty good or something lol. His Down-B is good for shield damage, and punishing rolls/spotdodging. His tilts are great too. There was this match between Will and M2K at a tournament a little while ago too where Will beat M2K's Sonic/Diddy with DK.

.la1n

i don't know what to expect out of 2015. it would be super cool to see VF at SCR again and a third sega cup. i like traveling and if i can play VF at my destination even better.

if neither of those happen, i don't know. EC has NYG and next year is probably going to be bigger than this year -which had higher attendance than sega cup 2014 - just because of all the cool shit we got coming in (VF3, VF4FT, VF5R). i'll be making a trailer for NYGX asap.

outside of that, there's final round...

I know it's a slim chance but it would mean a lot to me to see a new VF from Sega this year. I'd like to see them give it another chance, even if it means some compromise on the design (more F2P elements.) Do they still have their core VF team in Japan or has the team moved on to other companies and projects?

Azure J

Might be people realizing that he's actually pretty good or something lol. His Down-B is good for shield damage, and punishing rolls/spotdodging. His tilts are great too. There was this match between Will and M2K at a tournament a little while ago too where Will beat M2K's Sonic/Diddy with DK.

DK is one of those characters that consistently shocks me at how he slips through the cracks in that game. I had a For Glory match a few days ago where I just found out that headbutt is a OHKO to shields. His bairs are wild good and uair kills SO EARLY. :lol

oneida

I know it's a slim chance but it would mean a lot to me to see a new VF from Sega this year. I'd like to see them give it another chance, even if it means some compromise on the design (more F2P elements.) Do they still have their core VF team in Japan or has the team moved on to other companies and projects?
I've spoken about VF6 with Kyasao, who has worked with sega. he says they want to do it. every interview they posted on the anniversary site, people want a sequel. I don't think there's a slim chance, I think there is a good chance. Not this year, or next I imagine. would be great to have an announcement though.

VF5 is old as fuck - 7 years! the Japan scene is still strong (600 entrants at this year's BT cup) but NA is waning. New York scene showed up strong this year, but sega cup 14 saw a sharp decline in attendance from 13. NA needs VF6. we're gonna make events as good as possible but there isn't enough new blood. a Tekken player from CT dropped tag2 for 5FS in March and got so good so fast. people gotta break out of this mentality that learning VF is this insurmountable feat. 6 could concentrate on that.

but really, it'd just need to be a prettier 5FS to make me happy

I wonder what kind of sponsorship SteamCo is. Is it just the please wear our shirts, and here have a plane ticket 1 out of every 10 majors, or is it an actual you know e-sports type of a deal (EG, Curse, Dig).

Kumubou

I wonder what kind of sponsorship SteamCo is. Is it just the please wear our shirts, and here have a plane ticket 1 out of every 10 majors, or is it an actual you know e-sports type of a deal (EG, Curse, Dig).
To my understanding, it's closer to the former -- help cover transportation, hotel, venue fees, etc.. The owner is an old FGC head from CT and is probably doing Sanford and Yipes a solid, and it's got to be at least somewhat working out.

So Omega has a 2f buffer? I definitely expect that to show up in SF5.

Maybe this is a unpopular opinion but I think it makes links way too easy. You know the Sako combo with Evil Ryu that only works on Rufus? I find it too hard and never attempt that link in matches because I land it maybe 30% of the time in training mode. But with Omega Evil Ryu and those extra frames of buffer I was able to do it easily all day. The only time I dropped the combo was when I failed to do the special move(which ironically is now the hardest part of finishing a combo) or forward dash correctly during FADC.

Maybe they can make links a little easier, but they shouldn't be this easy. If this was in USF4 right now, nobody and I mean absolutely nobody who takes this game semi seriously would ever drop a link. No matter how much duress they were under, no matter who they faced, the links are just too easy. Maybe a 1f buffer at most, but not 2. With 2 everybody and there mom can become a execution wizard after a few minutes of training.

oneida

If this was in USF4 right now, nobody and I mean absolutely nobody who takes this game semi seriously would ever drop a link. No matter how much duress they were under, no matter who they faced, the links are just too easy. Maybe a 1f buffer at most, but not 2. With 2 everybody and there mom can become a execution wizard after a few minutes of training.
what's wrong with that?

Clawww

Maybe this is a unpopular opinion but I think it makes links way too easy. You know the Sako combo with Evil Ryu that only works on Rufus? I find it too hard and never attempt that link in matches because I land it maybe 30% of the time in training mode. But with Omega Evil Ryu and those extra frames of buffer I was able to do it easily all day. The only time I dropped the combo was when I failed to do the special move(which ironically is now the hardest part of finishing a combo) or forward dash correctly during FADC.

Maybe they can make links a little easier, but they shouldn't be this easy. If this was in USF4 right now, nobody and I mean absolutely nobody who takes this game semi seriously would ever drop a link. No matter how much duress they were under, no matter who they faced, the links are just too easy. Maybe a 1f buffer at most, but not 2. With 2 everybody and there mom can become a execution wizard after a few minutes of training.

yea it's a joke. I hope combos that rely on execution remain a thing. making a larger amount of combos easier to execute is great, but I still want some hard ones to exist and be useful.

petghost

Banned
You can still have high a execution ceiling without tough links everywhere....links are not the only form of execution man. 3s has very few important links while still having very important thing tied to impeccable execution like makoto stun combos. Even being able to confirm off 1 hit pokes in that game is an important execution barrier.

I love the combo system in 4 but 5 is gonna be different man.

Kalamari

I can't wait to see the moms get blown up at Evo 2016.

Kumubou

You guys are aware that modern ArcSys games have a five frame buffer, right? And even top players still drop stuff in tight spots, and some combos can still be really hard. Or maybe you should try playing Chaos Code, with it's 60,000 frame input buffer (that's not a typo). Hell, even SFxT had some input leniency (due to normals being normal cancelable on the last frame of recovery, but still).

A button input buffer won't matter much at high levels of play, where people's execution is generally clean anyway. It's more about being able to make lower levels of play less strict, if anything. It's not nice to have your BnB lead to Gief players churning or Ken players jacking the stick when you're starting out.

fader

I have a question, what are you guys opinion on one button combos? like how Blazblue impediments it in a control mode. You still have to get the timing but the special moves and the movements all comes out with one button press.

Top Bottom