• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 29 - Jan 4 | 2015: An Esports Odyssey

.la1n

I agree with you but Capcom is not exempt from this either. Every SF4 character hasn't changed at ALL from their original designs. At least Namco did so from Tekken 1 through Tekken 5. Ryu and Chun Li are still the damn same for SF5... no evolution of the character at all.

Netherrealms are the best sudio right now for this. They keep their character designs fresh for every game they release. And considering how generic the ninja attire is, it's a mighty accomplishment.

Oh I agree. I had Capcom in mind as I typed that comment as well. I really hope they plan to do more with SF V's character designs moving forward because right now it looks stale as hell. Doesn't mean it won't be a blast to play (I'm certain it will be) but it wouldn't kill them to age the characters a little or make some changes to the classic attire.

I will give props to Netherrealm for always looking to change things up and not being afraid to age a classic character (or turn them into a zombie, lol.)

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Wish Bonchan was there. He was the funniest guy last year. He was getting all hot and bothered and was dying to sleep.

lol

I also can't believe this is from MKX. Like how does character modeling go that wrong?

mortal-kombat-x-cassie-cage.png

Hoping they fix this since I'm actually looking forward to trying out MKX.

QfR8ngv.png

The realism hurts bro.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Some guy was just running around my neighborhood buck nekkid. If it were Flux I would've chased after him.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
lol

I also can't believe this is from MKX. Like how does character modeling go that wrong?

mortal-kombat-x-cassie-cage.png

Hoping they fix this since I'm actually looking forward to trying out MKX.
Man, sometimes I feel like it's really hard to judge fighting game visuals, especially when you go up close on stuff and they're 60fps, but when you see other games pull off visuals that are leaps and bounds more complicated, it does make me wonder what it would be like if some visual/technical wizards made a fighting game.

I guess MKX is like this because it's cross-gen. Or because the artists there love living up to their reputation. Maybe a bit of both.

Riposte

When it seemed like Melee wouldn't make it into the donation tournament at EVO, the community started talking about how they could get their money back since they "lost."

"Since our game didn't get in, we shouldn't have to donate," and etc.

This is a natural result of making your charity exploitative in the first place.

damn. When I went out for lunch at work 12pm EST I thought they were going to be done before I got back

8 hours later and they're in the same position lmao

Man, sometimes I feel like it's really hard to judge fighting game visuals, especially when you go up close on stuff and they're 60fps, but when you see other games pull off visuals that are leaps and bounds more complicated, it does make me wonder what it would be like if some visual/technical wizards made a fighting game.

I guess MKX is like this because it's cross-gen. Or because the artists there love living up to their reputation. Maybe a bit of both.

Yea. Normally, I hate judging on this kind of stuff cuz I don't know the first thing about digital modelling and programming. But yea when a game like VF5, which came out in 200-fucking-7 still looks
and plays imo
better than the newest installment in your franchise, something's screwy.

damn. When I went out for lunch at work 12pm EST I thought they were going to be done before I got back

8 hours later and they're in the same position lmao

They got to 4200 a few times I think. Watching them go through the agony of defeat and the excitement in victory is both hilarious to watch. Same goes for whenever they get Hakan lol. I've been watching on and off but I've never seen them get Evil Ryu or Yun. They also rarely get there main character. It's like random select is on this to keep them from ever reaching 4500.

It's been really fun watching the top Japanese guys go through this. I wish some top American players would get together to do this at least once per year. Regardless of how good they are with the character or the lag, it would just to really fun and hilarious to watch. Especially since we can understand them.

Yea. Normally, I hate judging on this kind of stuff cuz I don't know the first thing about digital modelling and programming. But yea when a game like VF5, which came out in 200-fucking-7 still looks
and plays imo
better than the newest installment in your franchise, something's screwy.

come_on_son.gif

ShinMaruku

Was gonna run a lobby til midnight but after losing 35 times in a row I decided to say fuck it. Guess today is not my day. Sometimes I just hate fighting games.

Kumubou

I think it's a couple of things: fighting games aren't just targeting 60fps, but a locked 60fps. Their processing budgets are going to be way tighter than a game with a 30fps target that's allowed to meander to 25 frames (or even lower) from time to time. How many console games that even look close to current-gen try for 60fps nowadays? So all that extra time to calculate shader effects, particles, advanced lighting and all that just doesn't exist.

The other thing, and I don't know how true it is now but I know in the bad old days fighting games were usually considered to be showcase pieces for new hardware, and that was true right up until the start of the last generation (VF5 was pretty much the first big arcade game in HD, and DoA4 was probably the best looking "launch window" X360 game). Nowadays, nothing like that even remotely happens and I think it leads to people being disappointed, although I think a lot of that is due to relatively smaller budgets (as it's pretty much impossible to justify AAA-size budgets for a fighting game, due to the market).

Wasn't he revealed months ago?
Harada was soliciting feedback from players in the Middle East a while back and was showing off several concepts, but he was never confirmed until now (and he even stated that the concept they were showing would be dropped if they couldn't make him work).

these guys have been playing street fighter since I woke up this morning at 7am

so many levels as to why Topanga is the GOAT stream

Salex_

It might have gotten better tho. I haven't really kept up with it but seeing that just killed all interest for me.

Just going to their Kickstarter. Everything looks fine, even up to the rough animations. But something gets lost super hard in the translation to the final product.
Idk maybe I'm expecting too much from them but still.

Yeah, his stance looks weird but the attack animations looks really fluid to me even though this was WIP footage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IinRTmKASY

Interested in trying that demo to see how it plays.
Shark Dude is pretty much the only thing I look at when I see this game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAKYVt05CLE

That looks really good.

xezuru

It might have gotten better tho. I haven't really kept up with it but seeing that just killed all interest for me.

Just going to their Kickstarter. Everything looks fine, even up to the rough animations. But something gets lost super hard in the translation to the final product.
Idk maybe I'm expecting too much from them but still.

Shark Dude is pretty much the only thing I look at when I see this game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAKYVt05CLE

Edit: Evidently, all or most all characters have their own animators, guess this explains my fixation on this character alone.
*Or maybe not, friends hearsay-idunnevenknow

Top Bottom