• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 29 - Jan 4 | 2015: An Esports Odyssey

Shouta

It is very intuitive. You're just doing it wrong. If you're holding forward/back and moving without dashing, then yes, it will feel very unintuitive. And I see enough people not doing dashing in a 3D fighter for whatever reason.

Example: This is wrong.

ibsmRigsEWkSqE.gif

If holding a direction doesn't give you the movement you'd expect then that by definition is un-intuitive

Azure J

Oh man, I forgot to share my Guilty Gear stream link here. Thanks to the power of Playstation moneyhats, I'll be streaming and chatting more often with people as I try to git gud™ at Xrd. Last night's stream was a fucking blast though, complete with me getting bodied by yolo Sol and struggling with neutral, chatting with old friends hatin' on my character choices (lol) and getting used to streaming in general.

I don't like the way my voice sounds through the mic and I had to entertain my siblings who went straight into "I want to be on the internet" mode when I remembered that PSQuad can do that shit. :lol

Also, best moment of the night was my siblings (barring my oldest younger sis and my brother who plays any new fighter I get) each getting a turn to play and seeing what kind of stuff they attach to:

Me: Ramlethal and Elphet Valentine
Younger Sis: TBD
Second Youngest sis: Leo
Brother: Sol and Ky
Youngest sis: Millia (PICK A TOP TIER), Slayer and Sin

If I felt any more comfortable playing Guilty, I'd teach my sisters how to play more consistently.

when your game has half a dozen different get-up motions depending on whether you landed on your back or face and learning characters is like learning a damn fighter jet, you lose the right to call that shit "intuitive", I don't care if is your most favorite, bestest game in the world

『Inaba Resident』;145497295 said:
Does anyone feel that the competitive smash community is a bit "stuck up" ?

be elitist about a fan service party game played mainly by casuals and children brehs
smtKLMc.png

The melee one is, maybe. They're on my shitlist for threatening to hold donation money hostage for EVO.

Azure J

A small dying portion of it yeah, otherwise I'd say they're just too reflexively defensive. The stuck up ones are the ones preaching "new shit only, lrn2adapt" all the time without considering why each title (yes even Brawl) might have something that appeals to a person over a later title.

Edit: Forgot about the EVO donation thing, yikes.

is anyone watching topanga tv now? i think they're doing a marathon stream (race to 5k pp apparently) for the new year.

This was amazing to watch last year. It was all fun and games at first but then we started seeing the agony in there faces when they got a character that none of them were that good at. It didn't help that a lot of other top players invaded the stream to make there day even worse lol.

I see it's only Momochi, Mago, and Tokido. Will Bonchan, Fuudo, and Kazunoko be joining them or will they just do there show separately like they always do?

This was amazing to watch last year. It was all fun and games at first but then we started seeing the agony in there faces when they got a character that none of them were that good at. It didn't help that a lot of other top players invaded the stream to make there day even worse lol.

I see it's only Momochi, Mago, and Tokido. Will Bonchan, Fuudo, and Kazunoko be joining them or will they just do there show separately like they always do?

It's going on right now. It's only Momochi, Mago and Tokido.

They are not getting to 4.5 PP tonight lol. They can barely make it to 4000 PP.

Random select is too much. Pikagoma keeps farming them of points

The melee one is, maybe. They're on my shitlist for threatening to hold donation money hostage for EVO.

A small dying portion of it yeah, otherwise I'd say they're just too reflexively defensive. The stuck up ones are the ones preaching "new shit only, lrn2adapt" all the time without considering why each title (yes even Brawl) might have something that appeals to a person over a later title.

Edit: Forgot about the EVO donation thing, yikes.
What happened with Evo?

be elitist about a fan service party game played mainly by casuals and children brehs
smtKLMc.png

This is actually what I kind of mean. It just seems like, from what I've seen, that the community acts more important than it is. Especially with the recent Sakurai interview.

『Inaba Resident』;145499116 said:
What happened with Evo?

This is actually what I kind of mean. It just seems like, from what I've seen, that the community acts more important than it is. Especially with the recent Sakurai interview.
When it seemed like Melee wouldn't make it into the donation tournament at EVO, the community started talking about how they could get their money back since they "lost."

"Since our game didn't get in, we shouldn't have to donate," and etc.

Agree with Melee a bit, both on that and the general attitude. I love Melee and I love watching it, but the general attitude of a lot of people, shitting on games, etc., really just bums me out. I get liking and loving your game, but damn, they take it to another level.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Well when Sakurai says stupid shit and should be called out on accordingly. I haven't read what ever recent interview you're talking about though.

I don't think it'll happen either. Last year Galtu with his Akuma was that dude that made there lives a living nightmare last year, this year it looks like Pikagoma. They did get very close though, I think I remember them getting to 4860 or something like that before it all went down hill.

The other change is that it looks like they're taking turns in intervals regardless of which character comes up. Last year they always played based on who was the best with the character they get. This will only make things harder.

『Inaba Resident』;145499116 said:
What happened with Evo?

yet another side-effect of that push for E-SPORTS

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Haha no I know. He's great. Hate turning this thread into a little sowing circle. I'll try a keep dat shit on da minimum.

Also holy fuck Smash Wii U is way more fun now that I've actually found someone that I like to use that isn't bottom five.

....it's Little Mac.. :D

Its cool breh, Smash Wii U ain't that interesting to me anymore, only reason I was really into it was because of the duck hunt dog. With PM having Lyn (Fire Emblem), Isaac (Golden Sun), Knuckles (Sonic) and Ridley (Metroid Prime and not too sure if he is in the works or not), I've got Melee and PM to keep me nice and cozy for the years to come.

Well when Sakurai says stupid shit and should be called out on accordingly. I haven't read what ever recent interview you're talking about though.

Most of the stuff coming out of Sakurai's mouth has made me want to smack him and ask: "Dude, aren't you a game designer?! TAKE FEEDBACK FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!" When you aren't hearing your fanbase, then you've honestly lost it. Never have I once heard someone wanting a dumb down version of melee, which was brawl.

Tripon

On competitive Smash, he basically talked about how if he focused on the Competitive scene too much, Smash wouldn't have a future. And that there is plenty of fighting games that do cater for that competitive bent. Mind you, he didn't say that focusing on competition is wrong, just that solely focusing on the competitive scene would be wrong for Smash.

Also, how the competitive scene leads to hurt feelings and not wanting to play the game.

Its stuff that Sakurai has been saying for years, and its getting more play again because of the interview.

kirblar

Most of the stuff coming out of Sakurai's mouth has made me want to smack him and ask: "Dude, aren't you a game designer?! TAKE FEEDBACK FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!" When you aren't hearing your fanbase, then you've honestly lost it. Never have I once heard someone wanting a dumb down version of melee, which was brawl.
The problem is that Sakurai is often speaking about parts of the fanbase that won't give him direct feedback. (Too young, too casual, etc.) The "Dark Matter" is where you can run into massive issues with complexity/barrier to entry that catch you off guard if you don't start running market research and such.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
The problem is that Sakurai is often speaking about parts of the fanbase that won't give him direct feedback. (Too young, too casual, etc.) The "Dark Matter" is where you can run into massive issues with complexity/barrier to entry that catch you off guard if you don't start running market research and such.

I wholeheartedly agree with this, never thought of it that way. As a designer, or how I was taught, you have to look at the two extremes of the spectrum and see how you can cater your product towards them and the middle will be fine adjusting to it so I can see why Sakurai would do this. My point is, I wouldn't have minded if they took out L-canceling or wave dashing, my whole gripe with the series is how they changed the gravity for the game. Brawl suffered heavily from this, Smash 4 remedied it a bit but there are other mechanics introduced that ruined it for me.

Kirby games blow btw

Take that back.

Pompadour

I wouldn't be surprised if he put too much stock into some feedback he got from Melee like how Hideo Kojima conceived of Raiden because Japanese schoolgirls didn't want to play as an old man.

Dahbomb

*I want Guilty Gear Xrd but Best Buy isn't selling it anywhere, not available for online purchase either. Don't want to pay $60 for it at other places, I want my BB discount. Professor Beef help me out son!

*Omega mode is hella fun. I can actually do 1 frame combos now. I also like the no weird short cuts for DP so I don't get DP while I am crouching trying to do a fireball. I also like the no hard knockdowns and higher damage output, games are very fast paced. I don't care if it's blasphemous to say it, Omega is better than standard USF4. I do wish they patch out that Genfinite though, that shit is the most broken thing I have seen in a non mugen fighting game in recent times.

*I was going to be playing a lot of Omega until Christmas happened and a ton of people came to my house. A few kids at home started playing Injustice on my PS4 and then everyone joined in. People who are new to fighting games still don't know that mashing harder doesn't make you win more. My analog stick on one of my controllers has an indent on it now. At least those guys finished Injustice story mode for me lol.

*I was wrong about there being Just Defends in SFV, so I have to hold that L. In my defense, Chun Li's st Fierce punch seemed like it had no sparks but it turned out the sparks were just behind her hand. Really inconsistent behavior in spark generation but oh well. I was still right on the other stuff in the game.

*I was however right about Tekken 7 and it took Naps visit to Korea for people to realize it. Tekken 7 isn't changing up Tekken in a big way and that was apparent from the first few footage. Yeah I know they have to update the moves and stuff but as far as general mechanics go it's still a spiced up Tekken Revolution. Not really sure how the casuals will receive T7 though.

*Countblackule 2014 recap is actually pretty good (as in I agree with most of it), thumbs up.

*FGW thread titles were still ass in the two weeks I was gone.

Happy New Year FGW!

jbug617

Banned
Anime has to be the win of the year. Blazblue, UNIEL, Persona and Xrd.

Who is Ski calling out?
@skisonic: Okay better way to do this. Dear twitter, Suppose someone is (legally) using a popular streamers trademark outro. COOL, OR FUCKING WACK?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Yes! They are doing random select. That stream last year was really entertaining. Gamerbee kept blowing them up.

This New Year's sucks. Nobody wants to do anything.

Sayah

If holding a direction doesn't give you the movement you'd expect then that by definition is un-intuitive
By that logic, every fighting game that requires dashing to move fastly across the screen is unintuitive. Try holding forward in SF or MvC3 to move instead of dasing and let me know how intuitive that is. But whatever, im not getting involved in this. Think what you like.

smurfx

get some go again
God damn the past two days have been terrible. Mom is in the hospital with a terrible infection. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scared out my mind.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yes! They are doing random select. That stream last year was really entertaining. Gamerbee kept blowing them up.

This New Year's sucks. Nobody wants to do anything.
Probably going to spend New Years alone at home because I caught a pretty bad viral infection :( Missing out on a party and a family dinner, won't be able to go to either.

God damn the past two days have been terrible. Mom is in the hospital with a terrible infection. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scared out my mind.
Damn. Hope everything turns out alright.

My grandma just got out of the hospital too because they didn't want to keep her any longer, but she still has pneumonia. Kind of scared because she's in her mid-90s and anything at that age is no joke. She can't even walk ATM.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Welcome back Dahbomb.

Daigo lost to freakin Filipino Champ at Evo breh. Fchamp barely even takes USF4 seriously.

and you can't deny the greatness that is Louffy. I would've never foreseen these results after how badly he got REKT at ESGN. (lol ESGN)

I know, and that in itself was annoying as hell to remember. I mean, if you're at that level you never forget the fundamentals of your character, but that legit pissed me off and I'll admit that as a Daigo fan.

And I no doubt respect Luffy, he did his thing in 2014 no doubt, I just have a neutral feel about him in general. I knew he was always a European threat, but he was really off the radar for me. Even in the majors he won, it'd be like I tune in or wake up the next day and read that he won the tournament.

He definitely shocked everyone, can't think of him on too many lists for him to be the one to win this much for 2014, let alone to take EVO.

hitsugi

It's going on right now. It's only Momochi, Mago and Tokido.

Yeah they had a good run up until they got into 3700+... they've been there for quite some time now. Still, entertaining as hell.

This New Year's Eve is fantastic so far.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Doesn't help that New Years is on a weekday and lots of people work Friday and even tomorrow. It's just another day.

Pappasman

When it seemed like Melee wouldn't make it into the donation tournament at EVO, the community started talking about how they could get their money back since they "lost."

"Since our game didn't get in, we shouldn't have to donate," and etc.

eh, that's a pretty big generalization. Not fair imo.

Agree with Melee a bit, both on that and the general attitude. I love Melee and I love watching it, but the general attitude of a lot of people, shitting on games, etc., really just bums me out. I get liking and loving your game, but damn, they take it to another level.

It funny, when you gets fans of one game together they are all positive and nice, but as soon as the melee/pm and brawl/4 communities meet things can get rough haha.

hitsugi

The timing for NYE was worse last year, being a Tuesday and whatnot. Next year it should be perfect, though.

Countless people at the division I'm in opted to either telecommute or used vacation time to eliminate having to come in on Friday and just make it a long weekend.

Welcome back, Dahbomb.

Let me know when you get Xrd so we can play.

I hope she recovers swiftly.

Top Bottom