• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 29 - Jan 4 | 2015: An Esports Odyssey

Uraizen

Banned
I think I might get back into UNIEL again while playing Xrd. I used to be good (ok/decent) at this game.

Then I started using Nanase instead of Eltnum, and then I stopped going to tourneys. lol

Funny, I stopped playing after I picked up Nanase, too. Her Force Function blows, theory fighter has failed me. Tried to pick it up against recently, too. I cannot land Hyde's dashing C online worth a damn during his BnBs. I'm not exactly 100% on it offline either, but let's not talk about that part.

mbpm1

If he competed more, his resume would have definitely looked better but he didn't. But I'm guessing that will finally change this year with the increased prize pot for Capcom Cup.

I think Daigo really needs to get out there more. For his own sake as a player, I mean. Can't rely on long set known player format forever.

lol, gossip aside, max is a great guy and posts here when he can. I don't know if he'll feel comfortable with us talking about his sister's personal life on an fg thread.

Haha no I know. He's great. Hate turning this thread into a little sowing circle. I'll try a keep dat shit on da minimum.

Also holy fuck Smash Wii U is way more fun now that I've actually found someone that I like to use that isn't bottom five.

....it's Little Mac.. :D

AAK

I just got GGXrd. Going through the tutorial right now.

Wow, I'm so tired of people complaining Tekken is too complicated. This game has just as many mechanics if not more and things you have to worry about.

WarRock

I just got GGXrd. Going through the tutorial right now.

Wow, I'm so tired of people complaining Tekken is too complicated. This game has just as many mechanics if not more and things you have to worry about.

Different strokes. I can easily understand how to, let's say, move and anti air dudes, with anyone in GG in a matter of a minute.

I barely could do it with a single character in Tekken after I-dunno-how-much-time-in-training.

Anyone ever play Gundam Battle Assault 2?
Oh shit, you can bet that I've played it. First game I could body a friend who regularly would use Dan to destroy me in Alpha 3. Dude got so pissed after a week of losing at GBA2 he started some shonen manga training regimen with his Rose to beat me haha.

gutabo

Damn. My wife had the worst xmas ever because of an intoxication, but I might have it worse. I had this strong pain in my hand after my last gaming session at a friend's place and I commented it to my wife's doctor(she had to be hospitalized) just as a joke, I ended up getting an exam and I might need a surgery. So it was a good idea to sell my consoles lol. I'll find out later.

Off topic: I will never get tired of pimping my country guys. Come to peru, me and/or local FGC will get your stay covered and besides cheap stupid medical treatments we have great food and plenty more for you. :D

Different strokes. I can easily understand how to, let's say, move and anti air dudes, with anyone in GG in a matter of a minute.

I barely could do it with a single character in Tekken after I-dunno-how-much-time-in-training.

Who are you anti-airing in Tekken?

Xevren

Damn. My wife had the worst xmas ever because of an intoxication, but I might have it worse. I had this strong pain in my hand after my last gaming session at a friend's place and I commented it to my wife's doctor(she had to be hospitalized) just as a joke, I ended up getting an exam and I might need a surgery. So it was a good idea to sell my consoles lol. I'll find out later.

Off topic: I will never get tired of pimping my country guys. Come to peru, me and/or local FGC will get your stay covered and besides cheap stupid medical treatments we have great food and plenty more for you. :D

I don't know what food that is that is in that link you sent but damn it looks crazy as hell.

It was a random ass example :V Switch it with low poke or whatever fits better.

I don't find Tekken inputs intuitive at all, and just moving around feels really weird.

Yeah. Yeah you're usually canceling dashes with other stick movement. It's not intuitive. But I would agree with whoever said that GG movement is at least just as complicated. And that includes meter canceling to be able to move, which is integral to the game and not intuitive to someone who isn't familiar with anime games.

Just like 3-d joystick movement canceling isn't intuitive to non 3-d gamers.

Welp. Since it's that time of the year (and work's dead).

Player of the year:

It's safe to say..

Luffy-gear-second-o.gif

So much
monkey_d__luffy_vs_rob_lucci_by_tsotne_senpai-d5th3tl.gif
was handed out this year its crazy.

Placings:
1st Place: Evo 2014
1st Place: Chengdu Tournament (Chinese tournament)
1st Place: Red Fight District
1st Place: Gigacon 2014
1st Place: Lockdown 2014
1st Place: Dreamhack Valencia 2014
1st Place: Armor Break 2014
1st Place: DreamHack Stockholm 2014

you see where I'm going with this?

Runner Up:

I'm not sure who peed in this dudes cereal but.. they turned son into an animal b. He makes Zangief's bad matchups look SO FREE.

Most improved player:

ibkjDatJatErt3.gif

At the beginning of 2014.. it was lookin real
4jQ1M.png
. I don't even know if we ever heard of him. He's went from Zero to Hero ninja real quick. Went from barely winning any NLBC's/Tournaments to taking home many trophies AND he makes Dudley look broken.

Proof is in the pudding brehs:

1st Place - NEC 15
1st Place - Resistance 3
1st Place - Summer Jam
4th Place - Canada Cup

If only he knew how to play Footsies
dPrJaGc.png

Runner Up:

G-a4b6SG_400x400.jpeg

jesus christ. I remember watching him beat Daigo at TGS14 and having another
4jQ1M.png
moment. He might've been another one of the unknown Japanese killers in their scene, but I never heard of this dude. Came from no where breh.

Placings:

1st Place - Canada Cup
Poongko PLS
1st Place - TGS14
2nd Place - NEC14
5th Place - TFC/DreamHack Winter 14

Fuerte comes at you fast breh

One knockdown and welp..
tumblr_mpjbzy5nYe1r5o5cbo1_500.gif

Most unimproved player of the year:

Brquk2ZIAAATkRq.jpg

Mago-san. Nothing been the same since they nerfed Fei Long.

Fighting Game Of The Year:
Pretty sure USF4 was the only fighting game that mattered this year. What I'm saying is:

i4IKDjCogAYBX.gif

Most hype event:

Blazblue finals were amazing
Marvel finals were amazing
USF4 finals were amazing
Melee finals were amazing
whew.png
amazing brehs.

Runner Up: Capcom Cup.

Great matches throughout the day, but was plagued with some really.. really.. really bad ideas. 2/3, intermissions, terrible bands, iPAD DJ, bracket screw ups. great matches tho

L of the year:

eR-_qstH.jpeg

I don't even know who's still on EMP going into 2015. So many lost members. Sanford, Yipes, Dieminion, M2K and Armada..all gone. Welp. I guess it's rebuilding time.

Runner Up:

hqdefault.jpg

Anyone that still mains Deejay after Ultra dropped is a total HEEEDIOT. THE DREAM IS DEAD. HE WILL NEVER BE DECENT EVER. GIVE IT UP. If you have any ambitions to actually win something in USF4, then pick up somebody else. It's over. Capcom hates you, you hate yourself for playing Deejay. Its done over nada done boom.

Shoutouts to Elena and Rose for salvaging my soul from the deep depths of hades.

Biggest blow up:

Runner Up:

Set/Match of the year:

Runner Up:

Runner Runner Up:

10_canadacup.jpg

Choke of the year - GAMERBEE PLS

Runner Up:

XIAN WHY WOULD U ULTRA SO EARLY

Best Commentator: Late contender but.. BOOLIT BOOLIT

Pie Sci da GAWD

Best stream:

stream_bn_01.jpg

They're on at a clutch time of right when I get to work. They rotate constantly of who's on the sticks and you get to see them beast on some XBL scrubs.

riki-oh-6.gif

You're all set free for the New Years. Have a good one brehs.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I don't know if I would call Daigo vs. Dhalsim a blowup considering the match up is in Dhalsim's favor and Daigo always just sticks to his guns. Could've easily, and I mean easily counter-pick with Yun and rocked them both.

But he didn't, and cost himself two potential major wins this year, but that's how he challenges himself I guess.

And I'm not a Luffy fan but I don't hate him either, so aside from dropping him and that Daigo bit from your list I'd say that I have the same outlook as you for 2014.

Pepeday came out of nowhere and brought a whole lot of life into Ultra Street Fighter IV for me when I had a point where I just only cared about Marvel and nothing else for more than a year unless Daigo or Snake Eyez were there. For me as a Fuerte main (and a former Dee Jay mainer, RIP) it was amazing to see him wreck the best in the world in 2014 the way he did with the most amazing reads.

Oh, and I'm not calling Marvel "anime" though - fuck that. Find some other name for that.

I don't know if I would call Daigo vs. Dhalsim a blowup considering the match up is in Dhalsim's favor and Daigo always just sticks to his guns. Could've easily, and I mean easily counter-pick with Yun and rocked them both.

But he didn't, and cost himself two potential major wins this year, but that's how he challenges himself I guess.

And I'm not a Luffy fan but I don't hate him either, so aside from dropping him and that Daigo bit from your list I'd say that I have the same outlook as you for 2014.

Pepeday came out of nowhere and brought a whole lot of life into Ultra Street Fighter IV for me when I had a point where I just only cared about Marvel and nothing else for more than a year unless Daigo or Snake Eyez were there. For me as a Fuerte main (and a former Dee Jay mainer, RIP) it was amazing to see him wreck the best in the world in 2014 the way he did with the most amazing reads.

Oh, and I'm not calling Marvel "anime" though - fuck that. Find some other name for that.

Daigo lost to freakin Filipino Champ at Evo breh. Fchamp barely even takes USF4 seriously.

and you can't deny the greatness that is Louffy. I would've never foreseen these results after how badly he got REKT at ESGN. (lol ESGN)

pixelish

is anyone watching topanga tv now? i think they're doing a marathon stream (race to 5k pp apparently) for the new year.

Most hype event:

EVO:

Blazblue finals were amazing
Marvel finals were amazing
USF4 finals were amazing
Melee finals were amazing
whew.png
amazing brehs.

Runner Up: Capcom Cup.

Great matches throughout the day, but was plagued with some really.. really.. really bad ideas. 2/3, intermissions, terrible bands, iPAD DJ, bracket screw ups. great matches tho

No. EVO might've been good, yeah. The Melee top8 was great. KOF13 was great as much as they just tried to kill the game. Capcom Cup pretty amazing in places.

But you know what? That was just great, maybe even amazing. But try going unreal.

Big House 4. Melee. Whole Top32. I dare anyone to top this, because they can't.

hitsugi

Daigo lost to freakin Filipino Champ at Evo breh. Fchamp barely even takes USF4 seriously.

and you can't deny the greatness that is Louffy. I would've never foreseen these results after how badly he got REKT at ESGN. (lol ESGN)

When was the last time Daigo beat a Sim player?

Horseress

More like L is a runner up for biggest Deejay of the year

is anyone watching topanga tv now? i think they're doing a marathon stream (race to 5k pp apparently) for the new year.

They did it last year doing random selects all the way, hope it's that way again

EDIT: yaaay random select! Time to expose people

Kikirin

Smashers: Is there a technique for canceling a dash into a non-dash attack in the same direction as the initial dash? After messing around, I've been able to pivot into attacks in the opposite direction, but haven't had luck with same direction. So I'm not sure if it's a git gud, game sux, or don't play on 3DS problem.

xezuru

Smashers: Is there a technique for canceling a dash into a non-dash attack in the same direction as the initial dash? After messing around, I've been able to pivot into attacks in the opposite direction, but haven't had luck with same direction. So I'm not sure if it's a git gud, game sux, or don't play on 3DS problem.

I don't have a WiiU so i'm honestly not sure if this is still in the series, but Brawl introduced DACUS (Dash Attack Cancel Up Smash), where you can Dash Attack and in the initial animation of the DA, slam Up and Z to get out a Up Smash instead while preserving the momentum and distance the Dash Attack would normally get you, so you essentially have an Up Smash that slides a character specific distance. Some characters were also able to do this with Grabs for a Boost Grab.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt-ElMgG5lg

m2k is back in empire
nope. game sux problem

Welp, Gotem.

Kimosabae

Banned
m2k is back in empire

nope. game sux problem

Tripon

I don't have a WiiU so i'm honestly not sure if this is still in the series, but Brawl introduced DACUS (Dash Attack Cancel Up Smash), where you can Dash Attack and in the initial animation of the DA, slam Up and Z to get out a Up Smash instead while preserving the momentum and distance the Dash Attack would normally get you, so you essentially have an Up Smash that slides a character specific distance. Some characters were also able to do this with Grabs for a Boost Grab.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt-ElMgG5lg

Welp, Gotem.

They took out DACUS in the latest patch/Wii U version.

Sayah

It was a random ass example :V Switch it with low poke or whatever fits better.

I don't find Tekken inputs intuitive at all, and just moving around feels really weird.

It is very intuitive. You're just doing it wrong. If you're holding forward/back and moving without dashing, then yes, it will feel very unintuitive. And I see enough people not doing dashing in a 3D fighter for whatever reason.

Example: This is wrong.

ibsmRigsEWkSqE.gif

.la1n

Random: Tekken HAS to change it's lifebars. Shit is so outdated and bland.

that is all.

Changing the entire interface couldn't hurt. Shit is ancient. Of course we are talking about the same people that can't be assed to update the character's looks either.

Top Bottom