• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Feb 2-8 | The Great Cave-In Offensive

A lot of money for SF4 right now. I feel like the scene needs to do a better job at sparking up interest in these events. For example, Shadowloo Showdown was barely mentioned at the end by Ultrachen, and Topanga's exhibition tournament that happened this past weekend got no coverage. This year is important in sparking up interest for SF with SF5 possibly being released in 2016 that can hopefully bring in more competitors and viewers into the scene.

A lot of money for SF4 right now. I feel like the scene needs to do a better job at sparking up interest in these events. This year is important in sparking up interest for SF with SF5 possibly being released in 2016 that can hopefully bring in more competitors and viewers into the scene.

we need a SF vs Melee crossover game tbh

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
A lot of money for SF4 right now. I feel like the scene needs to do a better job at sparking up interest in these events. For example, Shadowloo Showdown was barely mentioned at the end by Ultrachen, and Topanga's exhibition tournament that happened this past weekend got no coverage. This year is important in sparking up interest for SF with SF5 possibly being released in 2016 that can hopefully bring in more competitors and viewers into the scene.
I think over the past year we've seen a lot of the player and coast rivalries fizzle out as a function of MvC3 maturing and becoming a more specialized, smaller player base and it being exponentially more difficult to care about SFIV because of it's age. A lot of the people who have been here since '09 are now accustomed to NCR coming around again this year or whatever, and it becomes a regular thing.

The result is little to no "oh shit that major is going to be dope!" discussion, at least in a community like ours. Despite that, I think we've still pretty much seen viewers grow across the board and I think the biggest factor in that has been more consistent front paging of streams on Twitch. I think the next step for getting people outside the community to care will primarily be in the hands of people like Capcom, Sony, Maximillian, Machinima, etc. as opposed to FGC-Centric content creators (even though UltraChen does beginner stuff).

de1irium

Put up my Apex photos: http://gallery.rmpaul.com/Esports/Apex-2015

Apex%202015%20-%2020150201%20-%202990-L.jpg

Apex%202015%20-%2020150201%20-%202251-L.jpg

Apex%202015%20-%2020150201%20-%201981-L.jpg

Apex%202015%20-%2020150202%20-%203716-L.jpg

Malice215

It really starts with the players for hyping things up. Rivalries and storylines will do more for hyping things up over money.

4r5

I don't recall ASW not keeping loctest changes when they go through with it.

They can't even provide a full change log smh

Don't like the idea of Slayer Dandy follow ups behaving differently based on if you used P or K.

I don't follow other ASW games very hard, but GG loctest have crazy shit that don't make it to the final version all the time. AC loctest, Dizzy had Necro-Install (no hitstun/inf armor), and Eddie had air Drills (His regular drills, but doable in the air, and FRCable). Those things should be obvious to not do, but I assume they're just being scientific: Don't assume anything, gather real data.

Slayer's Dandy follow ups being different depending on the strength of the Dandy is not a 1.1 change.

Blarg

Neo Member
Nintendo needs to go ahead and make Melee HD tbh.

I want a Melee HD more than any other remaster, but I don't think it would happen anytime soon. Nintendo wants to push Smash 4 as their latest and greatest competitive game. It wasn't too long ago they were trying to kill Melee completely.

Ahh- so they're not 'truly' unblockable even if they can seem like it?

@Mr. X- apparently there is a more complete document you can read if you actually attend the loc test (based on what people are waying on twitter)
I'm semi-guessing!

When your character gets nothing but nerfs and then people discover more nerfs, it results in a ticket to the salt mines.

You can block the unblockable if you alternate your guards with just frame timing. A projectile and a physical hit can't hit on the same frame in GG as far as I know. Of course Zato can mix it up which one hits first and the block is borderline impossible anyway, so...
Listen to this guy - he knows Xrd better than I do.

BTW, Sako also agreed with Ogawa about Zato.
Hopefully ASW tones it down a bit.

petghost

Banned
I'd love to see Capcom license Darkstalkers to ASW, if only for Beef's reaction.

man this would probably be a bummer... at least the art would be legit.

actually even if capcom made a new vampire game it would probably still be a bummer. no games feel anything close to what vsav is like anymore.

I'd love to see Capcom license Darkstalkers to ASW, if only for Beef's reaction.
Replace ASW with Lab Zero and you'll get my money. Ain't no one got time for ASW's fucked international update scheduling. Also, they'd probably only do it on the condition that game gets ported to PC like three years after release. No thanks to that.

GGPO and PC Port>***************

Yeah don't ruin their anime monsters
Darkstalkers did the monstrous theme really really well over the years. Even Lilith's design at least makes sense if you look at it as her being the more innocent part of Morrigan.

Nowadays it's like everything is muscular, voluptuous, petite or over-designed just for the sake of it. Not talking ASW specifically here.

Exr

If you really like anime then I can understand loving such great ASW characters like Platinum, Elphet, Ramenthal and that other bed thing. As a guy who finds all those characters representative of everything in anime I dislike Ill gladly stick to Darkstalkers.
EDIT not saying all ASW characters are bad...really love some of the GG cast. But their output in BB and the new GG characters turns me off.

alstein

A lot of it is because SF4 is an old game and folks are now ready to move on. You'll see hype from FR to Evo, then hype will switch to SF5.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
If you really like anime then I can understand loving such great ASW characters like Platinum, Elphet, Ramenthal and that other bed thing. As a guy who finds all those characters representative of everything in anime I dislike Ill gladly stick to Darkstalkers.
Uh yeah sure whatever you say buddy. You sound like a kid who is afraid to get cooties from a girl because she might touch him.

darkstalkers is already tainted by anime

ki is the monster horror fighter we deserve

it already has werewolf vs skellington, just gotta add a vampire and you're set

Exr

Uh yeah sure whatever you say buddy. You sound like a kid who is afraid to get cooties from a girl because she might touch him.
Yeah not liking little magical girls and pandering anime trash like Elphet makes me a super square...times be changin.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yeah not liking little magical girls and pandering anime trash like Elphet makes me a super square...times be changin.

No it means you don't have to like every character in a game to play it. Hearing people bring up a few characters then say NAH DONT LIKE THE GAME BECAUSE THESE CHARACTERS always sounds stupid

Top Bottom