• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Feb 9-15 | Mikrotransaktions™

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Capcom should toss their hat into that ring with a Capcom all stars

If that's done than most of the poverty monsters wouldn't be able to play it. You'd be surprised how many people still don't have computers that can efficiently operate stuff at a good level.

Kalamari

F2P isn't the miracle strategy that everyone thinks it is. The reason these games are successful is due to the marketing strategy and the ability for publishers to throw tons of cash around.

alstein

Fighting games needs its PC F2P revolution already.

I know it got tried once before with some really old 3d fighter with customizable moves.

I don't think the FGC will like FTP in general - the way FG's and the community, I just don't think folks are wired to accept the drawbacks of FTP.

People want to buy the whole package and not get nickel and dimed.

Anne

After TOing and going to meet ups and tournaments ranging from small to big for a few years, the idea of F2P PC model as a thing to use is just like the total opposite of stuff. The entire scene would have to be completely different. Not trying to be like "Oh god no change is bad" but so many things would have to be different. IT would be hella more expensive too.

K.Sabot

After TOing and going to meet ups and tournaments ranging from small to big for a few years, the idea of F2P PC model as a thing to use is just like the total opposite of stuff. The entire scene would have to be completely different. Not trying to be like "Oh god no change is bad" but so many things would have to be different. IT would be hella more expensive too.

The successful esports games so far are the ones where LANs are the exception and not the rule.

The community that could blow up as large as those games with an online focused F2P fighter will be way different than the current grassroots imo.

That said, I want to play more Xuan Dou Zhi Wang. It seems to be doing well.

Nyoro SF

No FTP nonsense please. I like to own as much as possible with an initial upfront purchase.

People asking to be nickel and dimed to death while losing tons of money in the long run confound me.

Could someone summarize what's happening on the levelup stream? Can't watch right now.

WNF Online

-Free entry
-Open to North America only (USA/Can/Mex)
-PC/Steam only (for now)
-2Mb upload speed required for entry
-Speedtest pic required in Steam profile
-256 player cap
-Bracket starts off stream on Tuesday 6PM PST
-Top 16 on stream for Wednesday
-Winner of the season wins free flight to SCR

Signups will be on Mondays around noon PST on Xfire.

WNF Online

-Free entry
-PC/Steam only (for now)
-256 player cap

damn, how do I enter

rookiejet

Apparently this joystick holding position is like pretty bad ergonomically because of stress and possible injury to your extensor carpi ulnaris tendon (I think that's the one? Tekken players correct me if I'm wrong)

middle_ring_palm_up_side.jpg

So try to play like this if your outer lower wrist tendon hurts after sessions (if you tend to tense up subconsciously during play like I do)

palm_grip_side.jpg

My hand hurts ;_;

I play like this, but my ring finger and pinky are off to the side. The inside of my index and middle fingers do most of the work.

Also, when at a "neutral" stick grip, the balltop is only touching the insides of my fingers, you should not rest the balltop in your palm, as this brings your hand too close and makes you input directions in an overhanded way.

Kalamari

This sounds kinda cool, actually. I wonder if it will create more activity for USF4 PC, then maybe I can find players without poverty red bars.

rookiejet

I don't think the FGC will like FTP in general - the way FG's and the community, I just don't think folks are wired to accept the drawbacks of FTP.

I think a lot of people would prefer to buy just what they want (character, costume, etc) rather than paying for the entire package.

In a tournament situation, players can bring their profiles containing their characters and DLC so a TO wouldn't have to cover the cost of everything, or some official licensing program for TOs could be arranged or something (which would be in the developers' interest to make affordable and accessible because events proliferating helps market their games).

Anne

I play like this, but my ring finger and pinky are off to the side. The inside of my index and middle fingers do most of the work.

Also, when at a "neutral" stick grip, the balltop is only touching the insides of my fingers, you should not rest the balltop in your palm, as this brings your hand too close and makes you input directions in an overhanded way.

Yeah this is the same way I do it too.

fader

pretty much the same for me. my pinky and ring finger are behind the stick scissoring it on the opposite direction of my middle and index finger which are the main guides of the ball top with the thumb

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";151646540]My roommate got Marvel 3 so we played 50 games yesterday lol

It's been too long, game is still so good.[/QUOTE]

MA MAN! YOU KNOW ITS THE GOOD STUFF!

Kumubou

Are there any fat women in FGs?

At first I was thinking of Mitsuko from Bloody Roar, but she has more of a powerlifter body type.
I'm surprised no one mentioned Mary from the Tobal games, she was the grappler in those games and built like a brick shithouse. Weirdly, she also had the most practical projectile in 2 (as it OTGed and tracked)... But GOD DAMN she was slow. 16 frame jab!

I know it got tried once before with some really old 3d fighter with customizable moves.

Kwon Ho! I played the crap out of the alpha and beta releases of that. God damn that game was a fun bootleg VF. Too bad ijji completely botched the US rollout (and what is with asian operators and fucking up their international rollouts? I don't know what was worse: that, Nexon US fucking up DFO, NCSoft fucking up Blade and Soul, or Sega fucking up PSO2).

I think people are missing one huge point for competitive F2P games: the pot monsters. FG players may hate being nickled and dimed, but they hate dead games even more. Free is a very attractive price point, and even players who never pay a cent still provide some value to the publisher and community, in that they're opponents for the paying customers to play. I always found it funny how It was always easier to get games in Tekken Revolution than TTT2, and I think TRevo's success colored a lot of T7's development (for better or worse).

WNF Online

-Free entry
-PC/Steam only (for now)
-256 player cap

Signups will be on Mondays around noon PST on Xfire.

They also said that competitors and stream monsters will be able to win qanba sticks and hyperx headphones.

Kimosabae

Banned
"Brick shithouse".

k, so I'm trying to wrap my head around this...

Is she made of bricks?

Or made of poop?

Is it dried poop? That gives her a brick-like texture? And strength, fortified by brickwork?

mbpm1

"Brick shithouse".

Is she made of bricks?

Or made of poop?

Is it dried poop? That gives her a brick-like texture? And strength, fortified by brickwork?
You've never heard that expression before?

remz

"Brick shithouse".

Is she made of bricks?

Or made of poop?

Shithouse = outdoor toilet

Brick shithouse = really fucking solid built shithouse

build like a brick shit house= she's built fucking thick mang

Kimosabae

Banned
You've never heard that expression before?

I... don't think so??

Thought it was just "brickhouse."

Shithouse = outdoor toilet

Brick shithouse = really fucking solid built shithouse

build like a brick shit house= she's built fucking thick mang

the-wire-o.gif

Popularized by that song "She's a brick house"

In other words. Fightan games could use more thickness

yah, never heard of it.

That last sentence is troof, tho.

Look out for my new fighting game, featuring an all black, female cast, coming to a Gamestop clearence bin near you.

shaowebb

I'd definitely watch a $2500 MM of any FG shyt.

Personally, I think doing it at Evo would be the better idea because of how many people would gather to watch it. Shit would be hype as hell.

Are both guys already planning to go to Evo this year?

I don't know. Evo came up several times in that conversation but I don't know who is going where. They sound like this is a lock though and their just settling out terms. Hell their asking me to verify they each put up their half of the bet for this. I thought that was something you just put down at the table for the streamer but I guess where this grudge match is so high stakes and involves overseas travel that they need a verifier. Not certain how to do that online. I'll do what I can to make certain they get to play though, but they may need a third party. Are there people who do this regularly?

I was thinking of trying to contacting The Break or GGA or Keits or someone with this grudgematch and seeing if I could get them in on it to help organize it with them. $2500 TvC moneymatch? Hell thats not something you see often.

jbug617

Banned
Apparently this joystick holding position is like pretty bad ergonomically because of stress and possible injury to your extensor carpi ulnaris tendon (I think that's the one? Tekken players correct me if I'm wrong)

middle_ring_palm_up_side.jpg

So try to play like this if your outer lower wrist tendon hurts after sessions (if you tend to tense up subconsciously during play like I do)

palm_grip_side.jpg

My hand hurts ;_;

I hold the stick between my ring and pinky finger.

1R8wy2b.png

pic from some random youtube vid

Top Bottom