• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Feb 9-15 | Mikrotransaktions™

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Azure J

are you fucking serious...

he worked on CVS2 and MVC2 didn't he?

I think it'd better to ask what Neo_G hasn't done:

Production
Capcom Fighting Evolution (2004) (Producer)

Design
Marvel Vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds (2011) (Battle System Designer)
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom Ultimate All-Stars (2008) (Planning Directors)
Capcom Fighting Evolution (2004) (Planner)
Jojo no Kimyō na Bōken: Ōgon no ... (2002) (Planning)
Capcom vs. SNK 2: Mark of the Millennium (2001) (Planner )
Capcom vs. SNK (2000) (Planner)
Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (2000) (Planner)
Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike (1999) (Director)
Street Fighter III: Double Impact (1999) (Planner)
Darkstalkers 3 (1997) (Planner)
Street Fighter III: 2nd Impact - Giant Attack (1997) (Planning)
Street Fighter III: New Generation (1997) (Planner)
Street Fighter Alpha 2 (1996) (Planner)

Programming/Engineering
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (2011) (Battle Director)

Thanks
Super Street Fighter IV (2010) (Special Thanks)
Spawn: In the Demon's Hand (2000) (Special Thanks)
Plasma Sword: Nightmare of Bilstein (1998) (Special Thanks)
Street Fighter Alpha 3 (1998) (Special Thanks)

Other
Ultra Street Fighter IV (2014) ( Manual Design )

Seyavesh

niitsuma is a ghost rider and iron man fanboy too

so lol

also that list is missing all the dmc games and all the cps2 beat 'em ups

edit:
iirc neo_g's favorite marvel char is spiderman

rip marvel dudes

Dahbomb

theres no demand for that type of game though.
There is more than enough demand for that type of game.

Also Neo_G is credited for just DMC2 and DMC4 even though he worked on DMC3 too (that's where all the SF/VS stuff started creeping into DMC in fact). Most of the crew that made DMC2 actually stuck around to make 3 and 4.

Seyavesh

b-b-but the numbers....

akS7uXY.png

Dahbomb

forgive me. I was speaking in gaming in general, not the FGC. the larger gaming audience would hardly be interested in... John Taliban vs Blanka... (that actually sounds kinda hype.)
Obviously the gaming audience in general does not care about Jon Talbain but you have to be crazy if you think that characters like Megaman, Dante, Vergil, Wesker, Ryu don't resonate with the gaming audience as a whole.

Plus it would be a good opportunity to get some more recent franchises in like Asura and that girl from Remember Me (she has some interesting tools!).

But really the whole point of Capcom All Stars is to get that VS game play in. That type of play is still exciting to many, all it needs is some good support.

fader

Obviously the gaming audience in general does not care about Jon Talbain but you have to be crazy if you think that characters like Megaman, Dante, Vergil, Wesker, Ryu don't resonate with the gaming audience as a whole.

Plus it would be a good opportunity to get some more recent franchises in like Asura and that girl from Remember Me (she has some interesting tools!).

I just see making that type of game as a risk for them in their position.

Dahbomb

I just see making that type of game as a risk for them in their position.
Fighting games in general are a risk in the current market unless you are part of a long established brand which I guess you could say Capcom is so they are probably one of the few companies who can get away with it.

somebody mention aquasilk earlier... yeah what happen to him?

I heard he quit the FGC, but there are some saying he went out of his way to be a dick to his fans/subscribers.

K.Sabot

I heard he quit the FGC, but there are some saying he went out of his way to be a dick to his fan's/subscribers.

i remember seeing the tweet, don't remember the content but he was definitely throwing shade on the fgc and his fans.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I think Infiltration is trying to be like the guy who they modeled Jubei from Onimusha 2 from, he's a dead actor. That one admiral guy who turned good and quit in One Piece is also modeled after him. He's a Japanese guy with an afro and wears shades usually. Most Western people wouldn't know him.

Seyavesh

I think Infiltration is trying to be like the guy who they modeled Jubei from Onimusha 2 from, he's a dead actor. That one admiral guy who turned good and quit in One Piece is also modeled after him. He's a Japanese guy with an afro and wears shades usually. Most Western people wouldn't know him.

rikiya busujima, obviously
7TsmUM3.jpg

(it's yusaku matsuda)
vcl4Qn1.jpg

I heard he quit the FGC, but there are some saying he went out of his way to be a dick to his fans/subscribers.

The only source I could find was from r/kappa sadly, so I had to read between the lines. Basically, Aqua got a real job, showed up to NLBC #100, mentioned his retirement, and dipped early.

Fighting games in general are a risk in the current market unless you are part of a long established brand which I guess you could say Capcom is so they are probably one of the few companies who can get away with it.
Which begs the question why DMC5 might be Xbone/PS4 and SF5 is not.. It's not like it's more popular.. or is it?
at least i think

I think he said that he was gonna stream more right before he got a job and said that he couldn't play anymore

The only source I could find was from r/kappa sadly, so I had to read between the lines. Basically, Aqua got a real job, showed up to NLBC #100, mentioned his retirement, and dipped early.

eh thats not too bad. I did see a tweet from him from r/kappa with somebody from CORN asking if he is coming back to the fgc and he kinda laughed it off.

Sucks but it happens.

I think he said that he was gonna stream more right before he got a job and said that he couldn't play anymore

O, and then in that case I don't see why anybody would be mad lol. Job > hobby if you need the money to survive

Dahbomb

Which begs the question why DMC5 might be Xbone/PS4 and SF5 is not.. It's not like it's more popular.. or is it?
at least i think
Well we don't actually know which console DMC5 would even be on. It might end up being PS4 exclusive too at this rate. Only 3 Capcom franchises are above DMC right now and they are SF, RE and MH.

Compbros

Capcom doesn't seem willing to put their own money into their games if it's not a guaranteed success (Resident Evil) so I don't think they'd care to make a Capcom All-Stars fighting game unless someone else would foot the bill.

Edit:
Well we don't actually know which console DMC5 would even be on. It might end up being PS4 exclusive too at this rate. Only 3 Capcom franchises are above DMC right now and they are SF, RE and MH.

And SF/MH are exclusive to one corporation right now. Even if Capcom doesn't NEED the help to make their games the just don't seem to want to come out of pocket for them.

Hu? It was on purpose from day 1.

Looking back, nearly a decade on, Sakurai seems proud of Melee overall. "Melee is the sharpest game in the series," he wrote. "It's pretty speedy all around and asks a lot of your coordination skills. Fans of the first Smash Bros. got into it quickly, and it just felt really good to play."
"I had created Smash Bros. to be my response to how hardcore-exclusive the fighting game genre had become over the years," Sakurai said. "But why did I target it so squarely toward people well-versed in videogames, then? That's why I tried to aim for more of a happy medium with Brawl's play balance. There are three Smash Bros. games out now, but even if I ever had a chance at another one, I doubt we'll ever see one that's as geared toward hardcore gamers as Melee was. Melee fans who played deep into the game without any problems might have trouble understanding this, but Melee was just too difficult."

(RIP 1up, archive here : http://brawlinthefamily.keenspot.com/forum/showthread.php?2630-Sakurai-reflects-on-Melee& )

I never understood why people thought so much of SSBM was a happy accident. It seemed like they were well aware of the main issues SSB64 had and they were all addressed in Meele. I think what would be more interesting would be to really figure out to what extent the game was planned, in terms of the skill ceilings being what they are and some of the craziness that can happen in that game. The article touches on things that were deliberate by HAL but it doesn't really go to that next level, which I would say is a bit disappointing if it wouldn't end up being complete speculation.

The more important thing I think is that games need to have solid fundamental systems, and I think SSBM and MvC2 speak to that better than anything. If the game's core rules are solid, it can withstand a ton of bullshit. Both of those games have some really dumb stuff in it but the game lets you work around it.

This.

Manbig

From what I recall reading about the whole Aquasilk thing, right before he stopped streaming, he asked for and took a bunch of donations while promising to stream more, but then left due to his new job. People felt that he should have returned the donations, or something.

Grain of salt of course.

Rhapsody

Banned
Hu? It was on purpose from day 1.
I know, it's just an interesting article that helps dissect the thoughts and ideas of what was in Melee.
I'm pretty sure even the author knew and believed that from the start.

The article isn't just about if the game was designed for hardcore players, but how much of the mechanics ended up being how the developers intended to counteract or balance certain strategies to what Melee is today.

From what I recall reading about the whole Aquasilk thing, right before he stopped streaming, he asked for and took a bunch of donations while promising to stream more, but then left due to his new job. People felt that he should have returned the donations, or something.

Grain of salt of course.

I was one of his donators, but once I remembered that he only streamed once or twice a month, I just unsubbed. Never saw a need to make a big thing out of it, especially considering all the entertainment he had given over the years. What's a few bucks for that?

But really the whole point of Capcom All Stars is to get that VS game play in. That type of play is still exciting to many, all it needs is some good support.
yes.gif

I would make Nilin have a cmd grab super with three variations that each causes the opponent to "forget" special moves of a certain strength(light, Medium or Heavy) temporarily. Her lvl 3 would be her Sensen Fury(rage mode) but also with multiple variations that mimic that game's pressen system. So, your attacks could be modified to: 1.) regeneration - heal a slight amount of health on every hit, 2) damage - have a overall damage boost, or 3) cooldown reduction - for the purposes of a fighting game I was imagining something like altering the properties of her specials in some way, like letting them be special-cancelable into each other like rekkas, or allowing for more than a single ground/wall bounce, etc. I would make that character broke as fk.

Never heard someone refer to someones ass as a tool before

It was flat anyway. :p

Manbig

I was one of his donators, but once I remembered that he only streamed once or twice a month, I just unsubbed. Never saw a need to make a big thing out of it, especially considering all the entertainment he had given over the years. What's a few bucks for that?

I dunno. Got nothing to do with me. Just sharing what I recall hearing since people seem curious as to why some people might have a sore spot about his abrupt exit.

I dunno. Got nothing to do with me. Just sharing what I recall hearing since people seem curious as to why some people might have a sore spot about his abrupt exit.

Oh I know. I was just sharing since you mentioned his donators, wasn't specifically directing anything at you.

Top Bottom