• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 20-26 | I Can't Believe It's Not A Fighting Game

Horseress

That's an amazing printscreen :lol
Shoutouts to casperOne

1459062_740739615937590_89167420_n.jpg

Yea... but UMVC3 is still not a properly balanced fighting game. Koreans are more known for playing Tekken, a far more balanced game with a side of KOF and SF4.

And before that Americans played MVC2 a lot which was even more imbalanced.

http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130823162456/dragonsdogma/images/6/62/Guts_and_Griffith.jpg[/IM]

Yeah similar to that but with the story of Berserk and you play Gutts... not a customized character.[/QUOTE]
So a worse dragon's dogma

Dahbomb

Marvel Nemesis is one of the worst games I have ever played in the genre.

No amount of money hats will make me change my opinion on it. EA can suck my big brown cock.

casperOne

That's an amazing printscreen :lol
Shoutouts to casperOne

1459062_740739615937590_89167420_n.jpg

Thanks for reminding me about that (and for the shouts). I set the post to go up last night. Should probably tweet about it.

It always helps to put a little visual aid in the post to get peoples attention.

If anything the Americans are not really too concerned about balance (they play Smash and Marvel).

The country that seems to care about balance is Korea and I don't know of a BBCP scene over there.

hey man Project M probably has the best balance out of any game Kappa

also what is with that fraudulent tier list

chriskun

Yea... but UMVC3 is still not a properly balanced fighting game. Koreans are more known for playing Tekken, a far more balanced game with a side of KOF and SF4.

And before that Americans played MVC2 a lot which was even more imbalanced.

Guts_and_Griffith.jpg

Yeah similar to that but with the story of Berserk and you play Gutts... not a customized character.
So it has to be the artstyle that turns most people off then. Also, I think the presentation of that game is just overwhelming, sound design mostly.

Well I did have two people tell me yesterday that Deejay was a broken piece of shit and his up kicks were overpowered.

Probably the same people making these lists.

Tbh in kof, I would put chin as the cheap shit/almost broken character. Once you know how to play that guy, he is straight bananas. God like throw range/one of three characters able to combo throw in corner, high/low mixup, and increase damage from drinks. The other character that most people play is kim. I forgot who mentioned it, but you'll see alot of top players (like most of the cafeid people) play kim on anchor b/c of his range,confirms, and damage

I remember talking to Cuongster at Canada Cup and he says France/Europe easily considers him S tier. Everyone else's too busy sipping the Kim kool aid though.
He is very underrated.

As much of a bullshit character Vergil is you have a chance against him and he's not very good without xfactor. Smash is not designed to be a competitive fighting game, it is an anomaly. Blazblue is designed to be a serious fighting game, yet it is still plagued by horrible matchups and bad character balance.

CP was fine and balanced enough until the console version came out and ASW decided to use it as a beta for new characters.
It was the same case for the Makoto and Valk back in CS1.

Dahbomb

So it has to be the artstyle that turns most people off then. Also, I think the presentation of that game is just overwhelming, sound design mostly.
Its a combination of playability, long standing IP characters (Marvel characters) and brand recognition. MVC is still a brand and MVC3 came after a long hiatus. It was going to sell a lot no matter the quality but its playability is what is keeping the game alive even until now despite balance issues.

By playability I mean how the game feels, flows and generally how fun it is. Marvel 3 despite generating salt is still a very fun game and you just keep coming back to it for some reason. Whether it be the feel of clocking someone in the face with a Bionic Arm or doing the Pretty Ricky with Wolverine... it just sucks you right back in.

LL

vocab

I remember talking to Cuongster at Canada Cup and he says France/Europe easily considers him S tier. Everyone else's too busy sipping the Kim kool aid though.
He is very underrated.

Kim's much easier thats why.

A character with stances = nope.gif. Look at Gen, look at Lei. People don't want to invest in that kind of stuff.

chriskun

Its a combination of playability, long standing IP characters (Marvel characters) and brand recognition. MVC is still a brand and MVC3 came after a long hiatus. It was going to sell a lot no matter the quality but its playability is what is keeping the game alive even until now despite balance issues.

By playability I mean how the game feels, flows and generally how fun it is. Marvel 3 despite generating salt is still a very fun game and you just keep coming back to it for some reason. Whether it be the feel of clocking someone in the face with a Bionic Arm or doing the Pretty Ricky with Wolverine... it just sucks you right back in.

LL

I definitely think the "playability" you mention has alot to do with it. The combos in Blazblue have a a very arbitrary feel to them, there is no rhythm to them. In Capcom fighters the combos have a very nice flow to them and seem to make sense. An outsider can look at Streetfighter or Marvel and have a rudimentary understanding of the game just by watching it. If the same person where to watch BB they would not have any idea what the fuck is going on.

kirblar

Lol at Sakura being number 11 and Sagat being 9.
Characters that need strong execution for their damage output (Oni, Sakura) are going to be underrated by a community poll, while defensive characters are going to be overrated because they're annoying to fight against.

Infinite

Characters that need strong execution for their damage output (Oni, Sakura) are going to be underrated by a community poll, while defensive characters are going to be overrated because they're annoying to fight against.
Yeah. Every community poll looks like this

Dahbomb

You mean like Zero?

Except he is like #1 in almost all community tier lists and most pro rankings as well.

notworksafe

everyone's character is the worst piece of shit and the last person to beat them online was using the best character in the game.

chriskun

You mean like Zero?

Except he is like #1 in almost all community tier lists and most pro rankings as well.

Marvel enthusiasts have a deeper knowledge of the game and are much more involved in general than the large pool of street fighter fans.

Dahbomb

Marvel enthusiasts have a deeper knowledge of the game and are much more involved in general than the large pool of street fighter fans.
I don't know about that.

The inherent problem with the SF4 Eventhub tier list is that it's not really a ranking of the best characters it's the ranking of characters based on match ups.

So someone like Guile could have a bunch of great match ups that would propel him to be that high. Compared to Sakura who could have some even/bad match ups that puts her at lower rank. Of course a match up list isn't the only thing that matters... you generally have to be able to compete against the top tiers. If your character can crush the lower tier characters 7-3 but then you lose to most of the top tiers 4-6.. you are still not that top of a character. That's pretty much what is happening to someone like Guile on that list... he can bully the low tiers but is out classed by the tops yet his ranking is better than it should be.

And of course a lot of people have bad knowledge on match ups which further skewers the ratings.

kirblar

You mean like Zero?

It's a little bit different when it's that obvious from high-level play. (See: Akuma.) Also, Marvel's execution barrier isn't quite as intimidating.

chriskun

ibpJloKT1ZgLVA.gif

That's cute, dog.

It's true, so many people watch street fighter that have barely touched the game. When the same people watch marvel they have no idea of whats going on and turn it off. Also, the frequency of a character like zero one touching entire teams is much higher than any Cammy, Sakura, or Akuma perfecting people.

Dahbomb

It's true, so many people watch street fighter that have barely touched the game. When the same people watch marvel they have no idea of whats going on and turn it off. Also, the frequency of a character like zero one touching entire teams is much higher than any Cammy, Sakura, or Akuma perfecting people.
From personal experience... it's actually the opposite.

The people who watch SF4 at least know something about it yet with Marvel there are people who don't have a clue about the game (and obviously haven't played the game) but still make comments about high level play like they know their shit from watching just streams.

These are the same people who doubted Zero as #1 in the game because he wasn't winning enough and his execution was a limiting factor. Same people who demanded for Wesker nerfs.

LordJim

A bit off-topic, but I wanted to say goodbye to everyone here.
I leave to do my army service in a few hours and internet access will be limited.
These threads were pretty much the only ones I semi-consistently posted on neogaf and posts by members here are what led me to the forum in the first place.

I hope the rest of 2014 is filled with good news for fighting games and even better events.
And less shitty reboots of video game series nobody wanted.

Have fun you all.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I leave to do my army service in a few hours and internet access will be limited.
These threads were pretty much the only ones I semi-consistently posted on neogaf and posts by members here are what led me to the forum in the first place.

I hope the rest of 2014 is filled with good news for fighting games and even better events.

Have fun you all.

Good luck man.

Peace.

notworksafe

One touches in a game built for long as fuck combos means the audience pays more attention to game intricacies? No.

Plenty of people watch Marvel but don't play the game. It's a hype, flashy game that draws someone in. That alone is enough to drag in people that don't even give a shit about fighters or any games.

I see it all the time locally. People that don't know shit show up to events and stare at marvel for a while, then decide to enter because it "looks cool". The look plus the easy interface gives it plenty of chances to develop a new, less experienced user base.

Street Fighter tends to attract the players that already know SF4 or fighting games in general. It has a rep for being hard to learn and slow. That leads to a player base that knows what their doing from the start. Once they get into it further, they'll only get more informed (for the most part).

Silky

Banned

Have fun you all.

Good luck man. Stay safe.

kirblar

One touches in a game built for long as fuck combos means the audience pays more attention to game intricacies? No.

Plenty of people watch Marvel but don't play the game. It's a hype, flashy game that draws someone in. That alone is enough to drag in people that don't even give a shit about fighters or any games.

I see it all the time locally. People that don't know shit show up to events and stare at marvel for a while, then decide to enter because it "looks cool". The look plus the easy interface gives it plenty of chances to develop a new, less experienced user base.

Street Fighter tends to attract the players that already know SF4 or fighting games in general. It has a rep for being hard to learn and slow. That leads to a player base that knows what their doing from the start. Once they get into it further, they'll only get more informed (for the most part).
The "more viewers than players" part actively helps with Marvel because the players are more likely to use high level play as a guide than their own personal experience/frustrations.

SF is a much easier game to play at a beginner level, even if the high-level play has a relatively high execution barrier walling it off.

casperOne

Have fun you all.

Best wishes, stay safe. We'll be here when you get back.

Top Bottom