• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 20-26 | I Can't Believe It's Not A Fighting Game

Silky

Banned
Chun should have been banned in 3S.

People should've stuck with 2nd Impact instead of going to 3rd Strike

still pissed at how bad they did ibuki in 3S

People call KoFXIII the "honest fighter", but SNKP wasn't honest at all with their DLC's. The 3 DLC characters are top 10, if not top 5, and Mr. Karate is arguably the best character in the game

I never really follow tiers in KOF because they really don't matter as much as you think they would compared to other fighting games. Too many options unique to specific characters, still a lot of stuff to be discovered. Karate/Takuma are good. Really good. At the same time, not everyone can use Takuma.

I don't really see much '98 Iori, but NESTS Kyo I wouldn't call that high up either

Though Leona will never make top anything in XIII,

Dahbomb

I'd do some unsavory things for a Berserk fighting game...
Now we are talking.

My roster for a Berserk fighting game:

Gutts
Caska (Golden Age arc version)
Griffith (Golden Age arc version)
Judeau
Skull Knight
Femto
Slan
Void
Conrad
Ubik
Zodd the Immortal
Schierke
Farnesse
Serpico
Grunbeld
Irvine
Locus
Rakshas
The Baron
Rosine
Wyald
Emperor Ganishka
Silat
Mozgus

Best anime fighting game ever.

People call KoFXIII the "honest fighter", but SNKP wasn't honest at all with their DLC's. The 3 DLC characters are top 10, if not top 5, and Mr. Karate is arguably the best character in the game

To be fair, yeah they're all high in the tiers, but they're not broken.

Also, it's pretty much business as usual for at least Iori anyways, has the dude ever been anything lower than I think it was A in XI?

vocab

The ex characters are strong, there normals are what set them apart. Especially iori and ex kyo's. They both have normals that stuff so much things in the game. Both have standing lows but they have their flaws. The Iori infinite is stupid and thankfully you only see two people doing it because it's hard to execute. Not everyone is good with ex kyo. At least Mr Karate doesn't have Takuma damage.

Iori and 98 kyo have always been good. It's just the archetype and the set of normals they have. They fit so well in a game where anti airs aren't like street fighter.

Kalamari

You could also ask why Injustice, MK or KI aren't embraced by the Japanese FGC.

I know I am a little late to the discussion, but I think that fighting game appeal generally has to do with the ability to identify and relate to characters.

The reason SF appealed to so many in the beginning was because they were easy to relate to, there were no catgirls/robogirls/monstergirlwhatever, just fighters modeled after different regions of the world. It was easy for someone to see the game and say "this guy looks like a Sumo wrestler, Sumos are cool, I'm gonna play him." With anime games, most Americans generally can't identify characters as easily so they tend to avoid the games, however if they are anime aficionados they have a much easier job of identifying the characters.

I think it explains why certain franchises are more successful in Japan versus the U.S. and vice-versa, it's hard to identify characters that don't fall into some kind of familiar stereotype.

I never really follow tiers in KOF because they really don't matter as much as you think they would compared to other fighting games. Too many options unique to specific characters, still a lot of stuff to be discovered. Karate/Takuma are good. Really good. At the same time, not everyone can use Takuma.

I don't really see much '98 Iori, but NESTS Kyo I wouldn't call that high up either

Though Leona will never make top anything in XIII,

Top level KoF has pretty much narrowed itself down to almost all teams having some form of DLC or Kim on their team.
Kind of like how the majority of teams in high level marvel will have shells made with Doom and/or Vergil. Although the top tiers in KoF are way more honest than the tops in Marvel.

Silky

Banned
Top level KoF has pretty much narrowed itself down to almost all teams having some form of DLC or Kim on their team.
Kind of like how the majority of teams in high level marvel will have shells made with Doom and/or Vergil. Although the top tiers in KoF are way more honest than the tops in Marvel.

You know, I can agree with that. Kyokugen Team is used a lot. Last year EVO, top 8 in KOF had a couple of Kyokugen folk in there

kick51

Banned
Similar thing with Kokonoe

I don't see that. Maybe lots of top players agree, but I also see people upset that the rules got changed after they paid their money, which is the actual problem here.

Akuma lock down could be figured out within a couple dollars put in the machine by 10 year old, non-pro me.

vocab

KOF is just more about raw skill at the end of the day. Reynald won apex with ash ffs, and MadKOF won a FT10 against Xiao Hai using random select.

Kim is bullshit though. He gets away with a lot of crap.

Akuma lock down could be figured out within a couple dollars put in the machine by 10 year old, non-pro me.

lol.

Dahbomb

Pre-liminary Eventhub AE tier list:

1. Akuma 214.8
2. Cammy 212.6
3. Seth 209.8
4. Fei Long 204.4
5. C. Viper 200.2
6. Adon 200.1
7. Ibuki 198.8
8. Yun 198.7
9. Sagat 195.2
10. Rufus 194.8

11. Sakura 193.8
12. Guile 193.0
13. Ryu 192.9
14. M. Bison 191.8
15. Balrog 191.5
16. Gen 191.0
17. Evil Ryu 190.3
18. Ken 190.1
19. Juri 189.5
20. Blanka 189.4

21. Oni 189.2
22. Vega 188.1
23. Abel 187.6
24. Rose 186.4
25. Chun-Li 185.9
26. Dee Jay 185.8
27. Guy 185.4
28. Zangief 185.3
29. Cody 184.2
30. Makoto 184.1

31. Yang 183.1
32. Gouken 183.0
33. E. Honda 182.6
34. Dhalsim 181.3
35. El Fuerte 181.0
36. Dudley 180.1
37. Hakan 179.8
38. T. Hawk 171.5
39. Dan 161.4

On the topic of control schemes since it's topical, what's your preferred blend of input difficulty for command moves, and for what applications? Just as a general guideline I'd rank difficulties (with specific applications) as
1: mashable input (P4A auto combos, Tag Assaults in Tag 2)
2: directional input (smash, 3D fighters to some degree)
3. "simple" SF-style input (QCF, DP, 360)
3.5? MK-style input
4. "complex" SF-style input (multiple QCF/HCB, 720s)
5. fuck me tier (pretzel motion, summon suffering)

I don't understand the placement of MK input in your list.

Pre-liminary Eventhub AE tier list:
26. Dee Jay 185.8
27. Guy 185.4
28. Zangief 185.3
29. Cody 184.2
30. Makoto 184.1

31. Yang 183.1
32. Gouken 183.0
33. E. Honda 182.6
34. Dhalsim 181.3
35. El Fuerte 181.0
36. Dudley 180.1
37. Hakan 179.8
38. T. Hawk 171.5
39. Dan 161.4

kttcoliwhat

This DBZ Battle of Z better make Evo this year. Team battles gonna be so hype.

chriskun

what is it with Arc games and them being horribly unbalanced? Maybe this is why Blazblue has not caught on in the American scene.

Dahbomb

what is it with Arc games and them being horribly unbalanced? Maybe this is why Blazblue has not caught on in the American scene.
If anything the Americans are not really too concerned about balance (they play Smash and Marvel).

The country that seems to care about balance is Korea and I don't know of a BBCP scene over there.

Tbh in kof, I would put chin as the cheap shit/almost broken character. Once you know how to play that guy, he is straight bananas. God like throw range/one of three characters able to combo throw in corner, high/low mixup, and increase damage from drinks. The other character that most people play is kim. I forgot who mentioned it, but you'll see alot of top players (like most of the cafeid people) play kim on anchor b/c of his range,confirms, and damage

To be fair, yeah they're all high in the tiers, but they're not broken.

Plus the same could be said of their regular counterparts.

Tbh in kof, I would put chin as the cheap shit/almost broken character. Once you know how to play that guy, he is straight bananas. God like throw range/one of three characters able to combo throw in corner, high/low mixup, and increase damage from drinks.

Apparently that normal throw is 0-frame for some reason too, don't ask me how that works.

I don't either

Well I mean, it's not like a Down, Forward input won't work if you hit Down-Forward in between, so functionally it can be exactly like Street Fighters inputs, only with no charges on Back Forward moves (speaking from 9, maybe previous games had dumb inputs)

The major exception being the Down, Forward, Back or Down, Back, Forward inputs for command throws in Injustice and some moves in MK9.

There's also the fact that in Injustice to do attacks with different variations (screen position close/medium/far or projectile speed slow/medium/fast) you input the move, then hold a direction on the stick during the move's startup to define which version you want.

Does anyone legit have a problem with that? Or have a problem with the philosophy of using the same button, but different inputs for variations of moves (D,F for Grappling Hook, D,B for upward Grappling Hook, etc.) instead of the other way around?

And here's another question regarding how NRS does things: Not having a special strength for every attack strength (LP HP or L M H). Do you think this is okay? Does Ryu really NEED 3 Hadokens?

Dahbomb

Musou anything is a blight on the gaming industry.

Berserk requires a more finesse genre... probably more fitting as an action RPG.

chriskun

If anything the Americans are not really too concerned about balance (they play Smash and Marvel).

The country that seems to care about balance is Korea and I don't know of a BBCP scene over there.

As much of a bullshit character Vergil is you have a chance against him and he's not very good without xfactor. Smash is not designed to be a competitive fighting game, it is an anomaly. Blazblue is designed to be a serious fighting game, yet it is still plagued by horrible matchups and bad character balance.

Dahbomb

As much of a bullshit character Vergil is you have a chance against him and he's not very good without xfactor. Smash is not designed to be a competitive fighting game, it is an anomaly. Blazblue is designed to be a serious fighting game, yet it is still plagued by horrible matchups and bad character balance.
Yea... but UMVC3 is still not a properly balanced fighting game. Koreans are more known for playing Tekken, a far more balanced game with a side of KOF and SF4.

And before that Americans played MVC2 a lot which was even more imbalanced.

You mean Dragon's Dogma
Guts_and_Griffith.jpg

Yeah similar to that but with the story of Berserk and you play Gutts... not a customized character.

Top Bottom