• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 20-26 | I Can't Believe It's Not A Fighting Game

8WAYRUN.COM ‏@8wayrun 3h
There is a LOT of snow outside... and its supposed to keep on snowing all night. Unfortunately, there will NOT be a Break Weekly tonight.

I guess I'm on blast lol. I never played Alpha or Marvel series seriously. My background is only Tekken and NRS. I do follow other stuff like SF4 as an observer(basically just enough to appreciate the play). However even reading this thread daily and following the FGC in general I cannot remember ever seeing "chicken blocking". I guess I hella tune out Marvel talk. The concept makes sense I've just never heard the term.

jbug617

Banned
Team AGE is dead. EG Chris G since he is moving to the West Coast or does that change his plans (moving with the possibility of no sponsor)?
@nycfurby: Seems like Team AGE is discontinued according to Candace of PDP? It was a good run :(

Jazz-ism

Banned
I guess I'm on blast lol. I never played Alpha or Marvel series seriously. My background is only Tekken and NRS. I do follow other stuff like SF4 as an observer(basically just enough to appreciate the play). However even reading this thread daily and following the FGC in general I cannot remember ever seeing "chicken blocking". I guess I hella tune out Marvel talk.

no you arent on blast now. a little bit of your ignorance exposed but thats all. we all got some of that in us. its something that would have come up if u played older capcom titles/anime titles so no biggie.

its not like you threatened to boycott a top 8 because they put injustice at 9 AM or anything. that is some blow up worthy/ cringe shit

I think for SF, I would add teaching people about what moves are safe or not and why (basically explain frame data on a basic level) also.

From playing with new people over the years, I hear alot from people like "why can't I move when you do this", "how did you hit me, I was blocking" and stuff like that. Like people with shotos are doing low roundhouse in 3S in your face and wondering why they can't block afterwords. That is an extreme example of course because it is so punishable, but stuff in that arena.

This is important in 3D games of course. I haven't gone through the training thingy in TTT2, so I don't know if they explain it there.

EG Chris G would do him an enormous amount of good re: the PR side of things.

The puerto rican side of things?
Kappa

Getting sponsored by EG hasn't helped players with "personality" issues in the past, though they did drop Idra in a very public and high-profile way (but about 2 years after they really should have).

vocab

I couldnt imagine teaching someone Tekken. How to ease them into a move list with over 80 moves? HOW DO I DEFEND AGAINST CAPOS?

Dahbomb

I couldnt imagine teaching someone Tekken. How to ease them into a move list with over 80 moves? HOW DO I DEFEND AGAINST CAPOS?
You don't teach them moves... you teach them fundamentals.

How to get up in the game, how to move, how to throw (and counter them), how to low parry, how to do while standing to counter high moves. After that you teach them the most essential moves for a character (it's usually like 10-15) that cover the general situations in the game and teach them a couple of combos off of a few starters.

I just wanna chuck fools around in Tekken and VF, but when I read the move list for those games I feel like an orangutan reading a thesaurus.

That VERSUS BOOKS tekken 3 ultimate guide taught me alot back in the day.

For 3d games, you have to learn the foundation first I think before you start "learning characters". The high/low game, throw game, movement, basic frame data and how it applies to punishing and being safe.

Clawww

I think for SF, I would add teaching people about what moves are safe or not and why (basically explain frame data on a basic level) also.

From playing with new people over the years, I hear alot from people like "why can't I move when you do this", "how did you hit me, I was blocking" and stuff like that. Like people with shotos are doing low roundhouse in 3S in your face and wondering why they can't block afterwords. That is an extreme example of course because it is so punishable, but stuff in that arena.

This is important in 3D games of course. I haven't gone through the training thingy in TTT2, so I don't know if they explain it there.

yea, that's absolutely critical. fortunately, the concept is relatively easy to grasp. the terms are pretty clear cut: safe, unsafe, whiff, punish, etc.

I just wanna chuck fools around in Tekken and VF, but when I read the move list for those games I feel like an orangutan reading a thesaurus.

I truly hope the next tekken is on some babby, toned-down shit so I can rock out with lei

I didn't know there was a name for Eddie and Christie collectively. I thought there was some sort of scrub-killer strat with Miguel's guitar or something for a second.

Isn't that a problem for every 3D fighting game? When a friend of mine taught me how to play Tekken, they drip-fed me moves to get me started, and coached me on movement. Then I eventually just started sneaking moves into my gameplan.

notworksafe

I only know the FGC squad. My non-FG background is MTG.

He was EMP once for about a week.

Well as a side note, EG dropped Idra for being a raging, whiny, obnoxious, shit talker that made them look bad and insulted the SC2 fanbase. I don't expect them to grab Chris because he's got a history of that.

Dahbomb

I truly hope the next tekken is on some babby, toned-down shit so I can rock out with lei
Lei is a really difficult character to play in Tekken because of all those stances. I don't think that will ever change unless they completely remake Tekken.

There isn't much you can do to casualize Tekken without pissing a lot of fans off. You just have to improve the tutorials and put better explanations on moves and categorize them better. I can see them maybe tinkering with the mobility of the game so its easier to move around faster.

Fighting Games Weekly | Get 100% Off Your Fighting Game Team Using AGE

I bet Chris might get into Team Complexity, if he's going to be getting help from CJ and potentially the FGTV crew with the move, it seems like a likely option I think.

Reverend

Neo Member
Well as a side note, EG dropped Idra for being a raging, whiny, obnoxious, shit talker that made them look bad and insulted the SC2 fanbase. I don't expect them to grab Chris because he's got a history of that.

Chris is only 'hot' in a very small world, and being able to say they have the 'Number One American Fighting Game Player' blah blah would be a huge feather in their cap.

notworksafe

Chris is only 'hot' in a very small world, and being able to say they have the 'Number One American Fighting Game Player' blah blah would be a huge feather in their cap.

Idra was also only hot in a small world and was the best American SC2 player at the time.

Reverend

Neo Member
Idra was also only hot in a small world and was the best American SC2 player at the time.

Hot in a small world that was the biggest eSport around. While I get where you're coming from, I don't think that comparing Idra and ChrisG is fair- unless I'm way off base, I don't remember ChrisG calling people faggots left and right.

ChrisG is more important as a bullet point than as a player. His potential negative PR is far outweighed by the prestige he brings to the EG brand. Unless he starts popping off about beating women and hating gay people, I think he's fine.

Silky

Banned
Romance am cry ;~;

also

YlE9Wpl.jpg

Classics.

There's been a decent number of articles on non-FGC sites about how ChrisG is hot shit. I can see him being valuable to an esports team even with his big mouth.

Clawww

Lei is a really difficult character to play in Tekken because of all those stances. I don't think that will ever change unless they completely remake Tekken.

There isn't much you can do to casualize Tekken without pissing a lot of fans off. You just have to improve the tutorials and put better explanations on moves and categorize them better. I can see them maybe tinkering with the mobility of the game so its easier to move around faster.

yea, that's what I'm getting at

let them eat cake

I've actually been teaching my friend Tekken (actually re-teaching, he's played the franchise at casual status since T3 but has no real understanding of how the game works). The best (only?) method I've found is just to play it out and give good tips and point out critical errors along the way. When we first started he couldn't get off the ground, now he knows. Then I taught him a couple moves that are important to use (and ones that are bad). Taught him a combo next, then while standing moves. And throughout it all sprinkling in bits of system knowledge and mechanics along the way.

As of now after a some weeks he's better than I was in my first few months when I had zero guidance. It just takes time and patience like any fighting game.

Kumubou

They already did this in Tekken Revolution: backdashes don't go nearly as far (nerfing KBDCs), they made it so that you can block in a backdash after going to neutral, and they sped up walking backwards by about 20x or so (no, really -- it's almost as fast as backdashing for some characters now).

What Chris's biggest problem is he just a player and that probably won't cut it with the bigger esports teams.

Being actually dominant in a game and looking somewhat presentable (minus hairstyle) is Kokone tiers above most esports sponsored players.

Very few players are particularly good speakers/interviewers and very few players are squeaky clean (especially on the internet). Even with professional production talent (ex. TI3) most player interviews are pretty awful.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I can't promise that Mad Catz will support the FGC forever, but I can say we are fighting for the community (on all ends). Best wishes to those affected by AGE pulling out of community support.

Top Bottom