• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 20-26 | I Can't Believe It's Not A Fighting Game

Jazz-ism

Banned
Being actually dominant in a game and looking somewhat presentable (minus hairstyle) is Kokone tiers above most esports sponsored players.

Very few players are particularly good speakers/interviewers and very few players are squeaky clean (especially on the internet). Even with professional production talent (ex. TI3) most player interviews are pretty awful.

TRUTH

there are some players that arent so awkward and pull it off really well. good speaking, grammar etc... but good lord there are so many players i see in these cute interviews (many of which are bad/ ask bad questions [jason24cf]) and i just say GOT DAMN STAY IN SCHOOL

Dahbomb

They already did this in Tekken Revolution: backdashes don't go nearly as far (nerfing KBDCs), they made it so that you can block in a backdash after going to neutral, and they sped up walking backwards by about 20x or so (no, really -- it's almost as fast as backdashing for some characters now).
Didn't know this as I didn't follow Tekken Revolution after the first day or so.

I wish that they released Tekken R on PC. I would play the hell out of it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
A bit off-topic, but I wanted to say goodbye to everyone here.
I leave to do my army service in a few hours and internet access will be limited.
These threads were pretty much the only ones I semi-consistently posted on neogaf and posts by members here are what led me to the forum in the first place.

I hope the rest of 2014 is filled with good news for fighting games and even better events.
And less shitty reboots of video game series nobody wanted.

Have fun you all.
Hope you enjoy your time man!

8WAYRUN.COM ‏@8wayrun 3h
There is a LOT of snow outside... and its supposed to keep on snowing all night. Unfortunately, there will NOT be a Break Weekly tonight.
It's just cold up here right now, I am not looking forward to getting hit with another snowmaggedon in a week or so.

Team AGE is dead. EG Chris G since he is moving to the West Coast or does that change his plans (moving with the possibility of no sponsor)?
There's my drama fix!

EDIT:

@NYChrisG 1m
@PDPCandace what today? You couldn't let us know earlier? No messages on fb or twitter? U called once? I'm pretty sure this wasn't random.

Chris G living in a world where FB and Twitter statements are more professional than a direct e-mail and phone call. Sorry bub, that's on you.

Jazz-ism

Banned
A bit off-topic, but I wanted to say goodbye to everyone here.
I leave to do my army service in a few hours and internet access will be limited.
These threads were pretty much the only ones I semi-consistently posted on neogaf and posts by members here are what led me to the forum in the first place.

I hope the rest of 2014 is filled with good news for fighting games and even better events.
And less shitty reboots of video game series nobody wanted.

Have fun you all.

come home safe homie

Chris G would be fine for EG. Idra ONLY and ONLY got kicked off because he wished somebody to die in public AND a week after a warning he told that his fans were shit and that he could give two shits about them on the TL forums.

I mean he could of gotten away with wishing somebody to die or telling his fans directly that he gives two shits about them AND still be sponsored by EG. It took idra to do both a week apart to finally get kicked off.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
@NYChrisG 3m
@Kevin_Sparkz @gootecks @nycfurby @KayaneFR @shoryukendotcom @AfterglowElite @PDPCandace don't even say she tried. One phonecall? Same day?

iPHTiQzlEiK5R.png

Chris G living in a world where FB and Twitter statements are more professional than a direct e-mail and phone call. Sorry bub, that's on you.

I actually hope he goes to EG. Not so much for Chris G, but currently it is "EG Justin Wong". The competition to be "the man" might just motivate him.

soakrates

You don't teach them moves... you teach them fundamentals.

How to get up in the game, how to move, how to throw (and counter them), how to low parry, how to do while standing to counter high moves. After that you teach them the most essential moves for a character (it's usually like 10-15) that cover the general situations in the game and teach them a couple of combos off of a few starters.

Isn't that a problem for every 3D fighting game? When a friend of mine taught me how to play Tekken, they drip-fed me moves to get me started, and coached me on movement. Then I eventually just started sneaking moves into my gameplan.
I feel this is generally how it works when learning a 3D fighter. You tackle the general game mechanics first (movement in particular), then learn how to use your character's most important moves, pick up a few combos and setups, then gradually integrate the rest of the character's moves into your game (or at least those that are actually useful).

Figuring out uses for a character's moves is one of the most fun things about 3D fighters for me. In some games there are so many unique situations that you can find a use for almost anything if you look hard enough.

Chris G would be fine for EG. Idra ONLY and ONLY got kicked off because he wished somebody to die in public AND a week after a warning he told that his fans were shit and that he could give two shits about them on the TL forums.

I mean he could of gotten away with wishing somebody to die or telling his fans directly that he gives two shits about them AND still be sponsored by EG. It took idra to do both a week apart to finally get kicked off.

That and chronically underperforming for years ever since Koreans fully entered the international scene. He's like the mirror universe Viscant of SC2.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Figuring out uses for a character's moves is one of the most fun things about 3D fighters for me. In some games there are so many unique situations that you can find a use for almost anything if you look hard enough.
This is also probably what I enjoy most in 3D fighters period.

I also really like the feeling of having something in the back of my arsenal that I can whip out, even if it's a risk. Similar idea for crazy/risky mix ups in 2D games.

- - -

Also Hearthstone now in open NA beta because of Mike Ross' performance.

The thing is, current esports sponsors in our scene exist only as a foothold. Like the reason coL and EG are involved is just in case fighters blow up, they'll already have big names on their roster. That's why Floe is still EG. They're not really nitpicking on a performance basis.

If anyone were to get a new deal it would be Chris. He is the American player of 2013...but I don't think it's guaranteed. Infiltration was the player of 2012 and he's still a free agent.

edit: actually im starting to recall Chris getting offers after AGE had that fallout late last year. He'll probably be fine.

Clawww

@NYChrisG 3m
@Kevin_Sparkz @gootecks @nycfurby @KayaneFR @shoryukendotcom @AfterglowElite @PDPCandace don't even say she tried. One phonecall? Same day?

iPHTiQzlEiK5R.png

if it's true that he was only given one call on the same day as the official announcement online, that's definitely a little bit grimey. it's easy to miss a call. but I find it hard to believe that PDP folks would handle it that way, and I find it easy to believe that Chris fucked up and didn't pay attention

Dahbomb

Seems like there would be less of a rivalry if they were teammates. Like you don't get that sense of rivalry when Justin and PRRog are playing each other... the collusion is palpable.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
if it's true that he was only given one call on the same day as the official announcement online, that's definitely a little bit grimey. it's easy to miss a call. but I find it hard to believe that PDP folks would handle it that way, and I find it easy to believe that Chris fucked up and didn't pay attention

What if it just got disbanded officially today?

Clawww

Seems like there would be less of a rivalry if they were teammates. Like you don't get that sense of rivalry when Justin and PRRog are playing each other... the collusion is palpable.

true but I'm also OK with the idea of them training together

Clawww

What if it just got disbanded officially today?

it would seem appropriate to me to confirm that your players are aware of that before making an announcement. I'm not seeing the urgency in announcing the disbanding on twitter/FB over making sure the actual people who are sponsored know.

again, this is assuming Chris didn't check his e-mail or get a voicemail or anything like that, which I find hard to believe.

in any case FGC sponsorship is a joke so whatever

edit: hard to believe that PDP merely left it at a missed call, I mean

Dahbomb

FChamp vs ChrisG rivalry is still pretty potent. Mostly because when they play each other they bring the best out of each other even if they are good friends.

The rivalry is toned down a bit because ChrisG is now also West coast but its still a master class battle of the premier zoners of the game.

Justin vs ChrisG has also been somewhat of a rivalry lately.

Also guys Hearthstone went open beta so if you wanna play me add DantheBadass#1280.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You mean they just woke up and decided fuck those guys
Yes. The possibility of Candace getting a final decision from upper management that the decision has been made to terminate the team officially today, whether she knew or was allowed to speak about rumblings prior or not, and then contacting players ASAP, whether she was allowed to or not, is not thrown out of the door in this scenario. Then the info could have leaked from other sources too. Oh and not to forget Chris G is already at fault because they did attempt to contact him already.

It's all in such a fucking small time frame too, Chris G is just being irrational in unfortunate circumstances.

it would seem appropriate to me to confirm that your players are aware of that before making an announcement. I'm not seeing the urgency in announcing the disbanding on twitter/FB over making sure the actual people who are sponsored know.

again, this is assuming Chris didn't check his e-mail or get a voicemail or anything like that, which I find hard to believe.

in any case FGC sponsorship is a joke so whatever

edit: hard to believe that PDP merely left it at a missed call, I mean
I see no reason to give Chris G the benefit of the doubt here by laying the assumptions thick on his perspective but not Candace's.

Top Bottom