• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 20-26 | I Can't Believe It's Not A Fighting Game

I like custom titles and maybe costume pieces and colors for tournament players ( top 8 or just the winner). You give them a DL code, or they can do it on the backend.

Or they can raffle off custom stuff at tournies. Like a special evo color, idk.

Auras? Ugh.

tumblr_m7no8zLH5A1rrr9s4o1_400.gif

Beckx

Mr X, oneida - thanks for the explanations. For now I'll focus on fuzzy guard basics and move on from there.

------------------------

Clawww is on the right track but really, make buying auras cheap.

save the high price for the option to turn them off.

Dahbomb

Auras? Ugh.
It's not about what you want (I don't like them much either) it's about what your average gamer is willing to shell out money for. And time and time again... gamers shell out money for auras and in the case of DOTA 2.. a fuck ton of money.

It's not even about the aura... you label the aura as "super duper MYTHICAL IMMORTAL rare" while keeping the supply low and all of a sudden there is demand for it. Some people get some e-peen joy out of displaying their super rare aura even if they suck at the game.

Now you start bundling in auras that look like the Super Saiyan or Kaioken glow... you are going to be printing money.

Put a fake incentive of like 5 million dollars of compendiums bought and we will put Karin into the game, and it will never be met!

Genius!

But the idea of having community dollars being thrown into the prize pot is the only way the scene instantly grows without much effort.
It's so genius I am shocked other companies haven't x copied this shit yet.

Let's get our official FGC channels to get they Evo 2014 Compendium underway.

:(

It actually would be cool though. A big extension of fantasy brackets.

Clawww

oni and E.ryu have these little aura things going on anyways. wouldn't have to be some overly obnoxious giant flames or anything--this is also assuming the overall visual design would be keeping custom crap in mind. throwing flames onto e.honda in AE would be ass, obviously.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Fighting games need fewer mechanics, not more of them.

I actually like more universal mechanics in fighting games.

One of the reasons that everyone can win in GG isn't that the game is so balanced, but that the system level defensive mechanics available to every character sort of allow player skill to compensate for character weaknesses.

Vs something like Divekick where there's so few mechanics at play that it becomes all about matchups at a certain level.

Edit: that said quality is important too. I don't really understand red focus myself either.

Dahbomb

As long as we get the Quicksilver Jesus aura:

ibys3hNAFI3ved.gif

Enzo would buy that shit in a heartbeat for $50... DON'T EVEN TRY TO FRONT!!!

that said quality is important too. I don't really understand red focus myself either.
Yea my point was mostly against less useful mechanics. Pandora would be another one that comes to mind.

Good universal mechanics generally make a game better like when they added universal low parries in Tekken. Although I am still not behind the Rage mechanic.

Aquashark

Banned
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise is getting completely wasted on really subpar brawlers (seriously, name me a quality TMNT title from the last decade..)

i feel like a well done TMNT fighting game (Tournament Fighters reboot) would be a wild success, especially if the singleplayer part would be a brawler that incorporates seamlessly the gameplay from Versus mode.

TMNT has a very appealing universe and a great wealth of cool characters.

why isn't anyone doing this already is beyond me..

Dahbomb

TMNT isn't as big as it once was. Maybe when the new TMNT movie comes out.

I don't even remember most of the side characters aside from the main ones like Splinter, April, Shredder and Casey Jones. Seems like you have to stretch the universe very thin to come up with around a 20 character roster.

You know what I want? A Transformers fighting game. No problem coming up with a big cast. It would be like Gundam but something the American FGC can get behind because of the nostalgia. As long as it isn't Bayformers.

There are a ton of series that could make a great fighting game, if you want to use an existing IP to make a popular game.

Like where the hell is my CC2 Avatar (& Korra) game?

Aquashark

Banned
Bebop and Rocksteady!

anyway, you don't really need to know all the characters.. the turtles, April, Splinter, Shredder are your shotos/Chun li/Bison that everyone is aware of.

Riposte

I don't even remember most of the side characters aside from the main ones like Splinter, April, Shredder and Casey Jones. Seems like you have to stretch the universe very thin to come up with around a 20 character roster.

Even without having watched any of the recent series, I know it would very easy to make a fighter with 20 characters.

soakrates

TMNT isn't as big as it was. Maybe when the new TMNT movie comes out.

Eh, it wouldn't be that hard. In addition to those, you have Bebop, Rocksteady, Krang, Usagi Yojimbo (even though he technically isn't a TMNT character), Karai and a whole bunch of other characters from the comics. The real challenge, as you said, would probably be convincing someone to spend a bunch of money to make a game based on a property whose popularity has significantly waned.

Tmnt fighter using the current nick cartoon style/models would be awesome. The side characters are pretty cool looking. Plus the theme is just some animal basically mutated, they can get creative with making new side ones as well. Shit, they just pumped out 2 brawlers recently.

I've been saying transformers or final fantasy fighters forever. I think they would be well done. I still want a berserk 3d weapons fighter.

.la1n

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise is getting completely wasted on really subpar brawlers (seriously, name me a quality TMNT title from the last decade..)

i feel like a well done TMNT fighting game (Tournament Fighters reboot) would be a wild success, especially if the singleplayer part would be a brawler that incorporates seamlessly the gameplay from Versus mode.

This needs to happen. I think the popularity is there thanks to the new show and upcoming movie. We will probably just continue to get subpar brawlers instead :(

Dahbomb

I don't know any of those characters aside from the first 3.

You can also include like a random Foot Ninja who is like the highest rank or some shit.

Final Fantasy 2D fighter would do really really well in Japan and most likely really well globally as well. Only I trust SE to make a game with a legitimate combat system almost as much as I trust Triforce with my money.

I think franchises with good potential to be a fighting game include:

Final Fantasy (aka sword assholes the game)
TMNT
Transformers
Berserk
Blizzard characters
DOTA/LoL characters
Star Wars
Most long running Shonen action anime

Clawww

ive been saying for years to put turtles in soul calibur

riot balancing a fighting game would be completely stupid so please no LoL fighter (that league of fighter looks so garbage in comparison to skullgirls or that former brony fighter)

"So we took away the power off his shoryuken and move that power into his tatsu, that way the damage isn't coming all from one source and this should reward better play"
"We believe fireballs are to powerful and lead to very little counterplay, so we extended the cooldown so that players now have to think when to throw a fireball."

Riot makes NRS look good when it comes to balancing games

Kumubou

I don't know why, but I've always wanted to see a fighting game that mixed the projectile game of something like Immaterial and Missing Power or Senko no Ronde with the close-up game of Tekken or Virtua Fighter. I can only begin to imagine how you would balance such a game though, and it would probably be as easy to handle as a fighter jet.

(Maybe I really should just go play Gundam EXVS.)

As for modes, I would like to see something that would work like a stealth training mode, where the objectives in a story or mission mode are subtle (or not so subtle) hints to play better, maybe even going to the point of adjusting the AI depending on your strengths and weaknesses... so basically designing a more "normal" game using the mechanics from a fighting game, where one can learn the rules of play in a less stressful environment then getting your ass beat.

Matchmaking is a huge issue too; most FGs are really bad at it and the games are the most fun when you are playing people at or around your skill level.

It'll be a cold day in hell before a Bible Black fighting game is released
The last time we had developers make fighting games from h-game licenses, we ended up with Melty Blood and Aquapazza... so why not???

A magical Japanese Johnny Appleseed? Now I've heard it all. I'm assuming this game would have some witches.

Well, one idea I had was a hybrid of Wahoo McDaniel (legendary pro wrestler) and Cyclone from JSA, as an example of the type of design I'm looking at.
I keep reading this concept and I can't decide if this is the best or worst idea ever.

(Japan already kind of has us beat the other way around, between Kancolle, Girls und Panzer and Strike Witches they have military moe fetishism on lock.)

Final Fantasy 2D fighter would do really really well in Japan and most likely really well globally as well. Only I trust SE to make a game with a legitimate combat system almost as much as I trust Triforce with my money.
I think it would be more interesting if they kept going with the Dissidia games. The mechanics are definitely distinct from fighting games, they just need to be refined more. Hell, the game could even work within Square's obsession of making everything free to pay... but can you make it work using only the touchscreen?
I spent more time than I want to admit trying to get FG-like mechanics to work on a touchscreen -- the input latency is too real to make anything truly twitch based

Dahbomb

riot balancing a fighting game would be completely stupid.

"So we took away the power off his shoryuken and move that power into his tatsu, that way the damage isn't coming all from one source and this should reward better play"

Riot makes NRS look good when it comes to balancing games
Still better than Blizzard balancing where its completely skewered towards nerf heavy decisions and removing anything in the game that is interesting.

Blizzard balancing Marvel would be the dumbest thing ever.

Now Icefrog in charge of Marvel balancing... GOAT fighter right there.

El Sloth

Banned
lol @ cdjr saying Dudley is A tier. Smug got everybody fucked up haha hu-HA
I ran into more than a few people at DTN saying, "I always knew Dudley was secretly top tier." Smug got everyone shook. I can only imagine what people on the West Coast will say if he ever travels to a tourney out there.

Imm0rt4l

I don't know any of those characters aside from the first 3.

You can also include like a random Foot Ninja who is like the highest rank or some shit.

I think franchises with good potential to be a fighting game include:

Final Fantasy (aka sword assholes the game)
TMNT
Transformers
Berserk
Blizzard characters
DOTA/LoL characters
Star Wars
Most long running Shonen action anime
I was actually thinking about this recently. the 5 god hand guts pre and post-eclipse, guts with berserk armor, Zodd the immortal, skull knight, select few from the band of the hawks. It could work.

Still better than Blizzard balancing where its completely skewered towards nerf heavy decisions and removing anything in the game that is interesting.

Blizzard balancing Marvel would be the dumbest thing ever.

Now Icefrog in charge of Marvel balancing... GOAT fighter right there.
I am a huge Icefrog fanboy. He reminds me a lot of MikeZ. He has awesome ideas, and he listens to fans. Icefrog always responded to my emails and feedback. Similarly, MikeZ made a patch change on the spot because of my feedback. These are the developers I love. I wish I could follow Icefrog, but he has gone far beyond my PC specs...

Imm0rt4l

I ran into more than a few people at DTN saying, "I always knew Dudley was secretly top tier." Smug got everyone shook. I can only imagine what people on the West Coast will say if he ever travels to a tourney out there.

haha

I actually agree with Arturo assessment of him being about c-tier. He is a buff or two away from being stupid though. Funny how that works.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
My entire interest in One Piece was based on the fact that it has the characters for what would probably be the greatest fighting game roster of all time.

I stopped reading when I figured it was never going to happen though

but man in high school I would just read the fights and spend all day in class imagining how all the powers and moves would translate into a 2D fighter

Dahbomb

I was actually thinking about this recently. the 5 god hand guts pre and post-eclipse, guts with berserk armor, Zodd the immortal, skull knight, select few from the band of the hawks. It could work.
I made a list already and easily came up with around 20:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97956434&postcount=760

I am a huge Icefrog fanboy. He reminds me a lot of MikeZ. He has awesome ideas, and he listens to fans. Icefrog always responded to my emails and feedback. Similarly, MikeZ made a patch change on the spot because of my feedback. These are the developers I love. I wish I could follow Icefrog, but he has gone far beyond my PC specs...
I generally like his approach to balance.

He basically balances characters to highlight their individuality or niche. Like the way he approaches the balance for a hero like Shadow Fiend... completely glass cannon, no escape mechanism and low lane presence starting out but he snowballs out of control and has huge damage output at the start. So if people say that SF sucks because he is squishy... he's not going to make him tankier or give him an escape mechanism... he's just going to make his damage skills even better!

I know that may sound like bad game design for a fighting game but for a MOBA that is perfect. You are more likely to pick a hero if they serve a particular niche. In DOTA 2 you have a ton of very extreme characters like Sniper (the best in long ranged combat) and Bane (a support hero with ALL single target abilities no AOEs) yet Icefrog never tried to improve them outside of their niche, he will just improve what they are supposed to do.

And when he nerfs heroes he doesn't nerf what they are good at (like he isn't going to take away Sniper's range), he takes off a stat point here and there... lower strength gain, mana pool, lower mana costs. Small changes that impact their efficiency but still allow them to do what they are good at. He only reworks heroes when their weaknesses are many and they aren't interesting or they aren't serving their niche properly.

Another note: I take Sakurai's recent post about edgeguarding changes to be a positive. This is an advanced strategic decision, and it shows he is thinking about the game competitively.

Silky

Banned
The last time we had developers make fighting games from h-game licenses, we ended up with Melty Blood and Aquapazza... so why not???

But those games are fucking terribad

I would like a Fighters Megamix 2. Virtua, Vipers, Sonic Championship, Yakuza, Phantasy Star, Burning Rangers, Comix Zone, Power Instinct (which is owned by SEGA now right)
Persona

QYU2L33.png

Azure J

Another note: I take Sakurai's recent post about edgeguarding changes to be a positive. This is an advanced strategic decision, and it shows he is thinking about the game competitively.

It's because I feel this way personally why the way the thread opinion changed in the latter posts made me scratch my head earlier today. :lol

My entire interest in One Piece was based on the fact that it has the characters for what would probably be the greatest fighting game roster of all time.

I stopped reading when I figured it was never going to happen though

but man in high school I would just read the fights and spend all day in class imagining how all the powers and moves would translate into a 2D fighter

I would main the fuck out of Trafalgar Law so goddamn fast. Cutting, rearanging and bending things within pocket dimensions you control at will?

Dude.

I'm late to the party but I just watched Capcom Cup 2013 UMvC3 finals. OH MY! HYYYYYYPE!

Sailor Moon fighting game to coincide with the new anime. Somebody make that happen
and make the anime happen

Yo, WGC, get that Sailor Moon crap off the stream and put Killer Instinct on!

Top Bottom