• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 20-26 | I Can't Believe It's Not A Fighting Game

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I would main the fuck out of Trafalgar Law so goddamn fast. Cutting, rearanging and bending things within pocket dimensions you control at will?

Dude.

This was me in high school

for every character

Man even now I'm imagining a character that could make Law's room on the screen and modify his attacks or something

Omega

Banned
lol @ cdjr saying Dudley is A tier. Smug got everybody fucked up haha hu-HA

Tier lists change over time. Either because characters once good got figured out or new tech was discovered to make low-tier characters good.

Look at SF majors recently. The "top tier" barely wins. Sanford won Apex, Zeus won DTN, Sako won CapCup with E. Ryu

Characters that when Apology Edition came out were never even given a shot at being "tournament viable"

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
How is Melty Blood bad?

Melty Blood is the best Marvel game ever made

If there's a game I could just play in a vacuum with good players for all eternity it'd be Melty Blood. Not picking it up when it was hot is my biggest gaming regret

Imm0rt4l

Tier lists change over time. Either because characters once good got figured out or new tech was discovered to make low-tier characters good.

Look at SF majors recently. The "top tier" barely wins. Sanford won Apex, Zeus won DTN, Sako won CapCup with E. Ryu

Characters that when Apology Edition came out were never even given a shot at being "tournament viable"

Yea they change, the thing is that nothing about Dudley has changed. One guy being good with a mediocre character does not make the character A tier. Smug wins matches that he really shouldn't even be winning. His counterpoke/whiff punish game is really good

Rhapsody

Banned
Melty Blood is the best Marvel game ever made

If there's a game I could just play in a vacuum with good players for all eternity it'd be Melty Blood. Not picking it up when it was hot is my biggest gaming regret

Just gotta wait for Melty HD after Tsukihime remake is done.
So maybe not this decade.

I kind of want to go back to it (I got back to a lot of old stuff again just to lab). Plus I have SoCal rebel ups if I want tourneys.

How is Melty Blood bad?

I dabbled in Melty Blood for a while with some of my friends, and we all thought the game was okay. I didn't really play the game long enough to understand how the mechanics of the game worked, but it felt very..."mashy", for lack of a better term.

On that note, that reminds me of a funny commentary moment. During a Skullgirls tournament, an announcer kind of called out a player's behavior. This specific player was being comboed, and at the very INSTANT his opponent dropped the combo, he threw out a super that hit his opponent. Seeing this, the announcer just said "Why isn't this guy playing Melty?".

Omega

Banned
Yea they change, the thing is that nothing about Dudley has changed. One guy being good with a mediocre character does not make the character A tier. Smug wins matches that he really shouldn't even be winning. His counterpoke/whiff punish game is really good

true

I always felt Dudley had a lot of options though. I've just always hated him even back to 3s so maybe it's just the salt talking

Kumubou

But those games are fucking terribad
I had a six-page diatribe written out about how completely wrong you are, but then I realized that no one would care. :p

Seriously though, MBAA is one of the best fighting games made in the last 10 years, and I think Aquapazza is better than people realize (even though Chizuru poops on about 80% of the cast). I think a lot of the thought about Melty Blood being "mashy" comes from playing the older games, which are pretty damn mashy in retrospect. It stems from how good weak attacks were, how fast you could throw them out, that you got full damage combos from them, and how little hitstop the game had, making hitconfirming from anything other than mashed lights much harder than it should have been. MBAA and MBCC address these issues, though.

I dabbled in Melty Blood for a while with some of my friends, and we all thought the game was okay. I didn't really play the game long enough to understand how the mechanics of the game worked, but it felt very..."mashy", for lack of a better term.

On that note, that reminds me of a funny commentary moment. During a Skullgirls tournament, an announcer kind of called out a player's behavior. This specific player was being comboed, and at the very INSTANT his opponent dropped the combo, he threw out a super that hit his opponent. Seeing this, the announcer just said "Why isn't this guy playing Melty?".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi4qom3AgzI

why isn't haitani playing melty then

Imm0rt4l

true

I always felt Dudley had a lot of options though. I've just always hated him even back to 3s so maybe it's just the salt talking

To be fair, dudley is a character that is a buff or two away from being a serious problem, could possibly become as stupid as sakura

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Just gotta wait for Melty HD after Tsukihime remake is done.
So maybe not this decade.

I kind of want to go back to it (I got back to a lot of old stuff again just to lab). Plus I have SoCal rebel ups if I want tourneys.

Just gotta hope when they port it it's not exclusive to some bluray boxset so people can play it.

Man I wish UNIB was good

Infinite

Just gotta hope when they port it it's not exclusive to some bluray boxset so people can play it.

Man I wish UNIB was good
UNIB has gotten better with the updates but the initially release of the game was Kusoge as fuck.

Melty is like my favorite fighting game aside from Melee. Love dat shit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi4qom3AgzI

why isn't haitani playing melty then

Heh. You got me there, I suppose.

For the time that I played Melty, I didn't think it was a bad game by any stretch. The latest Melty Bloods I hear vastly improve upon the initial releases, but I've never played them. Generally, I won't call a game bad until I've really understood how the game plays. I didn't get that far in Melty, my friends wanted to play other doujin fighters, but even for the "mashy" feel of it, it didn't leave a bad taste in my mouth. I suppose Melty gets that "Anime game" stigma that games like GG and Blazblue get.

I wouldn't mind playing it again, but I'm not savvy on how to mod consoles.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";98122454]Do people still bet on MUGEN[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I still watch it every once in a while myself if I have nothing better to do.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";98122454]Do people still bet on MUGEN[/QUOTE]

I haven't watched in a while, but I think I will tonight since you reminded me.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
What are your complaints about the current version of the game?

Didn't know it had gotten better.

I was hype as fuck for it pre-release

then it came out and was essentially a one player game and I lost interest.

Glad to hear it's gotten better. If it ever gets a console port I'll be sure to check it out again.

OceanBlue

Didn't know it had gotten better.

I was hype as fuck for it pre-release

then it came out and was essentially a one player game and I lost interest.

Glad to hear it's gotten better. If it ever gets a console port I'll be sure to check it out again.

Lol yeah, I was the same way. I stopped caring about the game for a long time. UNIEL is a lot better though.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
It's understandable that nobody wants to go outside in over a foot of snow. It is much worse in a highly populated area with public transportation as the main thing to get around.

Ghazi

Kumite in Tennessee stream schedule, for those interested:

1493221_209484135920095_196299769_n.jpg

since someone just brought up KiT, pre-reg numbers for every game:
SF4-75
Injustice-59
Project M-52
Melee-50
Marvel-49
Killer Instinct-26
DoA5-21
Soul Calibur-20
Persona-13

also apprently MLG is supporting some midwest Smash tourney

Kumubou

Just saw this on Twitter, from MarkMan:

https://twitter.com/MarkMan23/status/426170764971094017 said:
As an insider. I think we're going to see more interesting shifts/changes with corporations/FGC members in the VERY near future. Seatbelts?

https://twitter.com/MarkMan23/status/426171333446086657 said:
Also as a reminder, you wear seatbelts to protect yourself from danger. Not for positive things.

https://twitter.com/MarkMan23/status/426171602569424897 said:
Blowup Tuesdays just went from being a weekly to being a major? Sounds about right. ;) Either way, hang in there guys.

Hooo boy.

Top Bottom