• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 20-26 | I Can't Believe It's Not A Fighting Game

Sheroking

Fuck that. Wizard as Paul Heyman.

A pathological liar who will end up owing half the people who worked for him thousands of dollars, and will wind up under the thumb of a far more successful promoter (who will take the opportunity to humiliate him in front of 8 times the viewers he ever managed to achieve as a promoter himself?).

Reverend

Neo Member
it has to be them because with AGE out there ain't no more big corporate sponsors other than madcatz.

PR Rog just got a sub box on twitch...he's said earlier that EG wouldn't let him.

I still don't understand how EG or Complexity makes money really. They must though, because they are still around. idk.

EG makes money through LoL, Dota and SC2, and through sponsorship deals. They support the rest.

sleepykyo

Fuck that. Wizard as Paul Heyman.

Heyman frequently put his wrestlers through hell and folded ECW while ducking his wrestlers. FGC has plenty of Heymans.

It needs a Macmahon, someone who capitalized on emergent technology (syndicating wrestling) to change wrestling from regional carnie sideshow into a global multi-media empire (even if most of the movies suck).

CurlyW

PR Rog just got a sub box on twitch...he's said earlier that EG wouldn't let him.

EG makes money through LoL, Dota and SC2, and through sponsorship deals. They support the rest.

EG does. Complexity doesn't have LoL or Dota. (They do have CoD.)

Also who's the 2nd player sponsored by Complexity?

Reverend

Neo Member
EG does. Complexity doesn't have LoL or Dota. (They do have CoD.)

Also who's the 2nd player sponsored by Complexity?

ShadyK

Complexity does have SC2 as well. A good roster of SC2 players could potentially carry the rest, depending on what the purse split is like.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I still don't understand how EG or Complexity makes money really. They must though, because they are still around. idk.

Do you see all those sponsors on team EG's streams? That's how. And all of them are huge brands. Think of EG and Complexity as a job agency lending out players to companies to promote them.

I know there are logos on their shirts, but I don't even pay attention to them. I never thought they were huge endorsement deals based on the amount of eyeballs that see it. I guess I am wrong on that front.

I've never bought any of the stuff they "push". Only TE sticks from Markman! :)

Upon thinking about it, maybe Fanatic was the best sponsored player, as he always pushed the controllers actively. I wonder how much sales were driven by him.

Reverend

Neo Member
I know there are logos on their shirts, but I don't even pay attention to them. I never thought they were huge endorsement deals based on the amount of eyeballs that see it. I guess I am wrong on that front.

I've never bought any of the stuff they "push". Only TE sticks from Markman! :)

Upon thinking about it, maybe Fanatic was the best sponsored player, as he always pushed the controllers actively. I wonder how much sales were driven by him.

I can't speak for the FG players, but I know the EG SC2 and Dota/Lol players are required to stream x amount per week, using the products they endorse. They also use their likenesses as part of product promotion (quotes/pictures on boxes, etc). Theoretically, this all is a value for the companies endorsing EG. To me, the attitude of professional endorsement seems very old-world.

casperOne

He showed up Game Underground last Wednesday and played with Lucky D:

Kumite in Tennessee stream schedule, for those interested:

1493221_209484135920095_196299769_n.jpg

Looking forward to this, but wish that they had a version where the times were synchronized. Makes it hard for me to carve out what I'm going to be watching when.

I can't speak for the FG players, but I know the EG SC2 and Dota/Lol players are required to stream x amount per week, using the products they endorse. They also use their likenesses as part of product promotion (quotes/pictures on boxes, etc). Theoretically, this all is a value for the companies endorsing EG. To me, the attitude of professional endorsement seems very old-world.

Ahh. I see. I guess I am out of the loop. I don't really watch Justin's or any of these players personal streams, just majors. Maybe they are pushing the products that EG has deals with, idk.

El Sloth

Banned
Tao Feng.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tao_Feng:_Fist_of_the_Lotus

Tao Feng: Fist of the Lotus is a video game for the Xbox, created after John Tobias, Joshua Tsui and David Michicich left the Mortal Kombat series with Midway. It was released in 2003. As of 2008 it holds a 69% on Gamerankings.[1]

The game's creator, John Tobias, praises the game as one of the most "brutal" and "realistic" fighting games ever created. The game incorporates realistic damage effects, including cuts, bruises, and ripped clothing. Additionally, Tao Feng is notable for its interactivity within the environments, such as destruction and using the surroundings to achieve special attacks.

Wow, I never heard of it before.

Edit: Could the corporation that MarkMan is teasing about potentially be Microsoft getting more serious about KI and growing it's competitive scene?

Reverend

Neo Member
Ahh. I see. I guess I am out of the loop. I don't really watch Justin's or any of these players personal streams, just majors. Maybe they are pushing the products that EG has deals with, idk.

Well, let's take a look at PR Balrog's stream, live right now:

Hk7Jcjk.jpg

He's using the headphones he endorses, and while you can't see it he's using his Razer Atrox stick.

Dahbomb

I played Tao Feng once at a Circuit City in a kiosk.

Game was dog shit but it had the interesting gimmick of visible battle damage and it was specific to limbs.

Infinite

EG AND Complexity clearly make the bulk of their money from their sponsors. All them and their players due in return is advertise their sponsors brands and products. It's not that hard to see

El Sloth

Banned

http://i.imgur.com/Hk7Jcjk.jpg?1[/IM]

He's using the headphones he endorses, and while you can't see it he's using his Razer Atrox stick.[/QUOTE]
Also you forgot the Gunnars he has on. Doesn't he have a promo code with them or am I thinking of someone else?

Reverend

Neo Member
Are those donations real or a joke?

I know Lapchi's donations are from money matches, but as a general rule I'm guessing they're legitimate. Some people see a value in giving money to their favorite streamers.

I watched a streamer doing DayZ standalone, and in a 5-hour period he made over 300 dollars in donations.

Also you forgot the Gunnars he has on. Doesn't he have a promo code with them or am I thinking of someone else?

Nah, he had a promo code for a while. I dunno if it's still going or not.

MrDaravon

Just noticed that ViewitfulVC has been banned again, RIP ;___;7

Are those donations real or a joke?

No, that's pretty common on a lot of streams; I see random people streaming stuff that have $100+ donations all the time. I am a little weirded out that Lapchi donated that much money though o_O

Edit: Ah, money matches makes sense, nevermind then!

He's using the headphones he endorses, and while you can't see it he's using his Razer Atrox stick.

I see. Nice. I have never been to his stream before. 1500 viewers. I am not in advertising. I am genuinely curious on the threshold of viewers you need to make decent money from these sponsorships and not just break even.

Good for Rog though.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Earlier non-major FGC streams were so much better, namely Sp00ky's and a few other people. It's just them being themselves, not promoting anything, saying what they want, doing what they want, etc. So many streams are so forced these days and it's so obvious they have to do what they have to do if they are sponsored and trying to maintain a certain image.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Earlier non-major FGC streams were so much better, namely Sp00ky's and a few other people. It's just them being themselves, not promoting anything, saying what they want, doing what they want, etc. So many streams are so forced these days and it's so obvious they have to do what they have to do if they are sponsored and trying to maintain a certain image.

Tell Art and Sp00ky to bring back Arcana Heart.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

Spooky streaming just him and his crew playing casuals of Arcana and Melty off the arcade boards was what made me a fan.

Just watching people play games they enjoyed in such a laid back setting was extremely entertaining. Probably a big part of the reason I like these games and this community so much.

Clawww

I see. Nice. I have never been to his stream before. 1500 viewers. I am not in advertising. I am genuinely curious on the threshold of viewers you need to make decent money from these sponsorships and not just break even.

Good for Rog though.

it's not necessarily a matter of tangible profit. as long as they're gaining some mindshare, sponsoring a few players or events is a drop in the bucket for legit big companies.

ismk

Money makes people change their priorities.

EDIT: Floe is live - http://www.twitch.tv/eg_floe

Top Bottom