• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 20-26 | I Can't Believe It's Not A Fighting Game

kirblar

I want to post in the Tomb Raider gigaton thread but I am scared of being banned.

Still waiting on the EVO line up. I guess Mr Wizard's definitely of "soon" rivals that of Blizzard's definition.
KI's EVO numbers are going to be hilarious.

Deification is always a bad thing.

.la1n

Yeah where is the EVO line up, I thought we were going to get that last week. As for KI's EVO numbers, I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft does something to sweeten that pot.

kirblar

Yeah where is the EVO line up, I thought we were going to get that last week. As for KI's EVO numbers, I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft does something to sweeten that pot.
They banned "goody bags" after the T-Shirt boosted KOF huge two years ago (probably because it adds stress to the tournament brackets.)

.la1n

They banned "goody bags" after the T-Shirt boosted KOF huge two years ago (probably because it adds stress to the tournament brackets.)

Ah, did not realize that. I would think with a company like Microsoft they would probably have ways of getting KI promoted even with a ban on additional prizes.

If anything I do think they will bring over the expansion when it comes out. After the success of tri and ultimate they be fools to not capitalize on that. There won't be a Vita version anytime soon.
My dream scenario is a worldwide simultaneous release of 4G with actual voice chat.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
FGW | Buckle your safety belts
FGW | FGC to go mobile/third party

But Capcom didn't bring Monster Hunter 4 to the US.
There's about as much doubt that they won't as there is doubt that Nintendo will use the Mario IP again in the future.

Where did these expectations stem from? I must've missed a tweet or something.

Meh, I liked capcom this gen for the most part and that they put out a lot of good games that I enjoyed. They are not perfect of course and have had some missteps. But that is true of many things in life.

Dahbomb

I really doubt that "sweetening the pot" is banned considering that WB put in a substantial pot for MK9 in 2012. Unless policies changed since then.

I found this on some random E sports site... don't know how legit this actually is:

Evolution 2013
Jul 12th, 2013 to Jul 14th, 2013

Evo 2013 (SSFIV:AE) - $16,370.00

Evo 2013 (Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3)- $13,020.00

Evo 2013 (Super Smash Bros. Melee) - $6,960.00

Evo 2013 (Injustice: Gods Among Us) - $5,820.00

Evo 2013 (Street Fighter X Tekken) - $5,730.00

Evo 2013 (King of Fighters XIII) - $4,270.00

Evo 2013 (Persona 4 Arena) - $4,000.00

Evo 2013 (Tekken Tag Tournament 2) - $3,550.00

Evo 2013 (Mortal Kombat 9) - $2,330.00

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Sports.

We in there.

Where did these expectations stem from? I must've missed a tweet or something.

Wizard's been teasing the lineup for the past couple of weeks, but I'm not entirely sure where people are getting the idea the announcement was going to happen last week.

Probably just the usual cycle of "someone says something -> people freak out -> unfounded expectations -> others see those unfounded expectations but fail to read source -> everyone is disappointed."

Dahbomb

featuring Mike Ross, Tokido, Infiltration, Xian, Alioune, Ryan Hart, Luffy and Filipino Champ, Street Fighters from five main capitals of the Fighting Game Community come together to compete for up to 25,000$.
LOL... that's like double the amount of EVO 2013 payout.

No representation from East Coast is strange though.

They can sponsor pots, but as kirblar said I don't think they can give incentives for signing up aka "goody bags". Inflates the numbers and as also stated, causes stress to the t.o.'s that don't want to deal with ppl wanting them pens/flashlights

Dahbomb

LMAO @ the trailer with the players playing on the comfy couch.

That's truly E sports stuff.

I hope it does well. We need more stuff like this.

Wasn't there grumbling about the EVO payouts in the last year or two? (like 8th place being not all that much for such a large event.)
The grumblings seemed to be that the payouts didn't really increase much since 2012. That was mostly because there was an extra pot I believe from Capcom for AE and from WB for MK9.

Here's the 2012 numbers:

$25,000 Super Street Fighter IV, Arcade Edition 2012
$23,000 Mortal Kombat 9
$15,000 Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
$15,000 for Sega’s Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown event (BYOC event)
$11,000 King of Fighters XIII
$9,000 Street Fighter X Tekken
$5,000 Soul Calibur V

Basically, the viewers and the attendees grew but payouts didn't. Of course 2013 there were no substantial pots thrown in by the big companies unlike in 2012 where AE and MK9 got love from the companies as did VF5.

Lemstar

Wizard's been teasing the lineup for the past couple of weeks, but I'm not entirely sure where people are getting the idea the announcement was going to happen last week.

Probably just the usual cycle of "someone says something -> people freak out -> unfounded expectations -> others see those unfounded expectations but fail to read source -> everyone is disappointed."
The announcement was quite a bit earlier the past two years, and I think last year's announcement was the same week he first teased it.

Rhapsody

Banned
Where did Wizard announce the lineup last year? I remember it usually being on Wakeup SRK, but I can't remember if it was still there last year.

casperOne

Wasn't there grumbling about the EVO payouts in the last year or two? (like 8th place being not all that much for such a large event.)

The grumblings seemed to be that the payouts didn't really increase much since 2012. That was mostly because there was an extra pot I believe from Capcom for AE and from WB for MK9.

Didn't Evo use a 7/2/1 split in 2012 and in 2013 they went to the top eight split (where 1st got ~35%)?

Beckx

Don't they have to get the announcement out there before the Road to Evo events start?

--------------------

I hope everyone checked page 36 of the Tomb Raider thread (100pp) for el torro's gif.

MrDaravon

They can sponsor pots, but as kirblar said I don't think they can give incentives for signing up aka "goody bags". Inflates the numbers and as also stated, causes stress to the t.o.'s that don't want to deal with ppl wanting them pens/flashlights

Yeah, I think they can sponsor pot bonuses, but offering any sort of physical incentive adds a shitload of logistical issues I'd imagine.

Also that Tomb Raider thread is a fucking killing field of banned accounts, holy shit.

At EVO 2011 I earned nothing for 5th place. Top 3 payout only. Sucks. Was probably among the hardest brackets I've had to play through too.

At EVO 2013 I made like 150 for 5th again. So that Esports earning site is probably accurate.

I know from talking to a guy who got 7th in 2012 the payout scale for MK must have been whack because he won like 200 bucks and the pot was huge.

Coda

I'm currently shaping this playlist, it will probably be around 3-4 hours long. It's hard cause some of this music is not super hype but more like jazzy hip hop beat shit so I dunno if people are into that. I've been wanting to share this playlist with people for a while now though. I'm always digging the Internet for new tunes.

Dahbomb

I don't know how to feel about this. I don't even think I understand what this exactly.
Its like the Hearthstone invitational.

Think of it like a Capcom Cup extended over a week. I am guessing each day they play one or two matches (probably long set), not sure on the format.

The three main issues I have with this are the down time, the random pointless "tips" and the unnecessary show girls. Down time is pretty bad and if you are in it for the "hype" this will kill your enthusiasm. The tips are sometimes pretty raunchy and immature... they don't really teach you anything they are more like jokes to fill the down time. And to add, the commentary won't be that good as Tasteless is one of the commentators who isn't a main SF4 commentator.

I still want this to do good though. There's a place for tournaments and a place for a high rollers invitational. Also the production value is top notch and the money is obviously good.

Clawww

Its like the Hearthstone invitational.

Think of it like a Capcom Cup extended over a week. I am guessing each day they play one or two matches (probably long set), not sure on the format.

The three main issues I have with this are the down time, the random pointless "tips" and the unnecessary show girls. Down time is pretty bad and if you are in it for the "hype" this will kill your enthusiasm. The tips are sometimes pretty raunchy and immature... they don't really teach you anything they are more like jokes to fill the down time. And to add, the commentary won't be that good as Tasteless is one of the commentators who isn't a main SF4 commentator.

I still want this to do good though. There's a place for tournaments and a place for a high rollers invitational. Also the production value is top notch and the money is obviously good.

the chillin on the couch vibe is kinda too chummy for my tastes

this is hardcore competition, after all.

Top Bottom